Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

HELP is at hand for General PC queries, not Foxestalk ones

Just a quick one. I bought a memory card today and now can't get it to fit. I am sure I am putting it in the right hole so it may be the wrong type. I was asked which it was and I wasn't sure and the bloke says I bet its this one when I told him how old it was andwhat model. My PC is about 5/6 years old and I got it from PCworld (Time) but its been upgraded a couple of times.

The memory card I bought seems to have more indents than the one that is in already. Going away Monday so cant take the card back for at least a week. As it was on the market not sure if he'll remember me or will exchange it. Cost me a tenner.

I'm useless at these things. Even lost a screw as I was taking the back of the tower off. Dropped on the carpet.

Thanks in advance for advice and help.

Cover yourself from head to toe in doublesided sticky tape and roll around the floor, you'll find that screw sooner or later.

Firefox tracking cookies.

th_Spybot.jpg

Everyday I run spybot and everyday these buggers appear and everyday I delete them and everyday they are back.

I've got the Free version of AVG, PC Tools Firewall, Spywareblaster, A-Squared and Ad Aware, so what is it that I haven't got that can stop them.

Also would this be the cause of my PC running so slow that I have to sit and wait for the text to catch up with me like now?

I've got a a Intel DuoCore, 1.6GHz, 2038MB, 32Bit Laptop and it's like using it in the dark ages.

Shit I can't even post images from photobucket and when I try to up load this page I get connecting to foxestalk alternating with connecting to paypal - WTF is going on??????

Wait yes I can post images but not in the normal way :frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty:

firstly slow speeds like that are usually caused by registry issues within xp you can download crap cleaner for free that has a reg fixer on it (run it 4 - 5 times)

another suggestion Sack avg mate its about as safe and secure as a razor blade, i used it for 3 months then brought panda antivirus and it found 22 viruses on my pc that avg had missed..

You get what you pay for with antivirus software and tbh i would not use anything else than panda

Hope this helps

th_Spybot.jpg

Everyday I run spybot and everyday these buggers appear and everyday I delete them and everyday they are back.

I've got the Free version of AVG, PC Tools Firewall, Spywareblaster, A-Squared and Ad Aware, so what is it that I haven't got that can stop them.

Also would this be the cause of my PC running so slow that I have to sit and wait for the text to catch up with me like now?

I've got a a Intel DuoCore, 1.6GHz, 2038MB, 32Bit Laptop and it's like using it in the dark ages.

Shit I can't even post images from photobucket and when I try to up load this page I get connecting to foxestalk alternating with connecting to paypal - WTF is going on??????

Wait yes I can post images but not in the normal way :frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty:

Try F-secure anti virus works for me :thumbup:

th_Spybot.jpg

Did this get resolved by using a different anti-virus? I'd be surprised if it did since it would seem that you might have something in your start-up menu that automatically installs it when you fire up you computer. You can access your startup menu by clicking on start, run, type in "msconfig" and clck on the startup tag. uncheck anything that looks like the programs you are being bugged by. close down the pages and restart your computer. You will get a message saying something like you been messing with msconfig etc. but just ok that. If you found any programs in the start up menu that you didn't want, they won't start again.

firstly slow speeds like that are usually caused by registry issues within xp you can download crap cleaner for free that has a reg fixer on it (run it 4 - 5 times)

another suggestion Sack avg mate its about as safe and secure as a razor blade, i used it for 3 months then brought panda antivirus and it found 22 viruses on my pc that avg had missed..

You get what you pay for with antivirus software and tbh i would not use anything else than panda

Hope this helps

A few months ago I was having real problems with a slow running computer especially when I had just started it. The CPU was running at 100% and I couldn't figure out which program was running it so hot. Eventually I did and traced it to Window's "Automatic updates" program. I have disabled it and it has been running smoothly ever since. To disable go to Start, Control panel, Security center, Click on Automatic Updates at the bottom of the page and click on the radio button that disable the Automatic updates and click ok. You will constantly be reminded that this feature is turned off but better than the alternative IMO. You can always update by having a one time session that does that when you don't need to use the computer.

CPU fan problem

Hi Guys,

If you don't want to read description of the problem and tell me where to buy the goddamned thing go further down

Got a problem, and a fvcking annoying one at that.

I'm not entirely sure what's causing it, but occasionally, completely out of the blue my CPU fan will start making a noise as if there is something caught (like a wire or piece of metal) in it. However, no such luck. If i shut down my computer and leave it for a while and then start up again it will be fine.

Now, what I was getting at.

I thought it would be easiest to replace the fan completely, but with this I need help.

Installing it I can do, I just need to get one.

Where is best (preferably over the internet), how much and what do I want.

Here is computer info as provided by TuneUp Utilities 2007

overviewscreenshottuneuputilities.jpg

devicesscreenshottuneuputilities.jpg

CPU fan problem

Hi Guys,

If you don't want to read description of the problem and tell me where to buy the goddamned thing go further down

Got a problem, and a fvcking annoying one at that.

I'm not entirely sure what's causing it, but occasionally, completely out of the blue my CPU fan will start making a noise as if there is something caught (like a wire) in it. However, no such luck. If i shut down my computer and leave it for a while and then start up again it will be fine.

Now, what I was getting at.

I thought it would be easiest to replace the fan completely, but with this I need help.

Installing it I can do, I just need to get one.

Where is best (preferably over the internet), how much and what do I want.

Here is computer info as provided by TuneUp Utilities 2007

overviewscreenshottuneuputilities.jpg

devicesscreenshottuneuputilities.jpg

Why the repost? Problem still annoying you?

Well im no expert but i'll give you advice from past experences. My Mum and Dad recently complained that their fan was making a racket, simular symtoms to yours (ie: noise was intermitant). So we took the case off and dusted carefully inside (it was extremely dusty). Then the noise stopped for a few months. It then started up again and this time dusting didn't help. So we replaced the fan ( there are two fans, one next the the motherboard and one at the top (on mine)) and that particular noise stopped. Then a different noise started up! So we had a look inside and it was just the fan casing that needed tightning.

So, have you looked inside?

Have you taken the fan apart and cleaned it?

Are all your wires fastened together?

If the answer is yes, then buy a new fan. I had a problem with the top fan (exhaust?)

Talk to a computer bloke in a pc shop to get the correct wattage.

Sorry if im not that much help.

Why the repost? Problem still annoying you?

Well im no expert but i'll give you advice from past experences. My Mum and Dad recently complained that their fan was making a racket, simular symtoms to yours (ie: noise was intermitant). So we took the case off and dusted carefully inside (it was extremely dusty). Then the noise stopped for a few months. It then started up again and this time dusting didn't help. So we replaced the fan ( there are two fans, one next the the motherboard and one at the top (on mine)) and that particular noise stopped. Then a different noise started up! So we had a look inside and it was just the fan casing that needed tightning.

So, have you looked inside?

Have you taken the fan apart and cleaned it?

Are all your wires fastened together?

If the answer is yes, then buy a new fan. I had a problem with the top fan (exhaust?)

Talk to a computer bloke in a pc shop to get the correct wattage.

Sorry if im not that much help.

Yeah problem still there

I've tried cleaning it. No luck.

It's the one above my CPU and it just seems to do it completely randomly

trouble is there are no pc shops round here

ah wel

if all else fails... pc world

I'm trying to set up my laptop with a printer but I ca't do it.

When i go to print it comes up saying Output File Name. Does anyone know what you have to put in here?

thanks

the printers a Epson DX6050 if that helps

Edited by mitch11

Say youve got more than one network connection, how can you select which one is the primary connection (if such a thing exists)?

Disable the one you don't use/want.

Start/NetworkPlaces/Network Connections. Right click the connection you dont want and click on disable.

I'm not sure that you can make one the primary. This article gives some reasons why you wouldn't want more than one.

I used to use the usb connection to get my pc online and the ethernet connection to get my ps2 online.

Then my pc crashed and i lost the usb connection for a while but now i have the usb connection back, it doesnt work even though it says enabled.

I used to use the usb connection to get my pc online and the ethernet connection to get my ps2 online.

Then my pc crashed and i lost the usb connection for a while but now i have the usb connection back, it doesnt work even though it says enabled.

I'd have a look at the USB's in the device manager. If there's a yellow question mark against one of the ports you probably need to reinstall the driver. When you reinstalled windows did you reinstall service pack 2?, if not you need to.

I'd have a look at the USB's in the device manager. If there's a yellow question mark against one of the ports you probably need to reinstall the driver. When you reinstalled windows did you reinstall service pack 2?, if not you need to.

Yes I did the whole device manager thing. By the way, I'm running a COPY of windows xp so I have never had service pack 2 (it wont let me download it). It worked without it before anyway.

Thanks for your help smudge but I just cant see a way around this unless there is a modem out there that has more than one ethernet port.

new website

what do you see?

Erm....

My mum always told me if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

Luckily, I choose to ignore that advice.

So ... what the fu ck? WHAT THE FU CK?

It doesn't work!

You still have all the sodding blurb of how to build it on there!

Etc etc etc etzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

Thats what I wanted to hear. I know I d have all that stuff. I just wanted to know if others werent seeing my editing page. Anyway I dont like that website so I've started one at bravenet. Theres not a lot on it but I've managed to add a Live Chat room, a messageboard a gustbook, a calender, a daily cartoon and a links page. I've not set rules for the messageboard etc so can I ask that anyone signing in to act like grownups. A ban before it is officially open would not be a good start.

Visit My Website