Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

HELP is at hand for General PC queries, not Foxestalk ones

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone could help me

my laptop has all of a sudden given up the ghost, its a HP Compaq NX7010

I press the power button and the power light on the front comes on, the fan whirls round for about 5 seconds

and then nothing...

i have tried it with just AC power, both sticks of ram out and the wireless adapter out and HDD out and many combinations of these, but i still get the same, 5 secs of fan then thats it.

im thinking knackered motherboard, what do you guys reckon?

Edited by dave_the_fox

Right, being a IT graduate I hate asking for help but I'm the first to admit I'm useless at networking.

Right I am, once again, attempting to link my computer the my basterd Xbox. This computer has been away in Sheffield and has been connected to the campus internet facilty through the network I am now attempting to link with my xbox. Anyway my PC isn't assigning a Network address to the Xbox. The Xbox can therefore not get an IP address and therefore wont work. I've got the netwoek settings to share the internet connection, yet still no IP

I've tried ****ing about with the loads of stuff but I can't seem to work out what it is preventing me from getting on.

(definatley something to do with the PC not the Xbox)

I press the power button and the power light on the front comes on, the fan whirls round for about 5 seconds

and then nothing...

i have tried it with just AC power, both sticks of ram out and the wireless adapter out and HDD out and many combinations of these, but i still get the same, 5 secs of fan then thats it.

could be the cpu

MRUs anyone know what they are and what effect they have on your PC because everytime I do an AdAware check I get 20+ of these negligible bits?

Oh and if anyone knows how to stop them coming back if they could let me know. Thanks.

MRUs anyone know what they are and what effect they have on your PC because everytime I do an AdAware check I get 20+ of these negligible bits?

Oh and if anyone knows how to stop them coming back if they could let me know. Thanks.

MRUs or "Most Recently Used" is a convenient feature that allows you to quickly select files, URLs etc that you have used in the past within an application. As such, they will "keep coming back" because you keep using your computer in between scans. You can simply ignore them, unless you share a computer with other users and really value your privacy. The following adds a bit of detail....

MRUs can present a privacy risk if you use a shared computer. E.g. in a public place or you use a computer accessed by multiple users if they can gain access to your MRU lists they can trace the files you have accessed which maybe confidential or maybe you wish to keep out of other peoples view. (this presumably includes list of dodgy downloads from somewhat dodgy sites).

If spyware is able to access the MRU lists then it almost certainly can access your files directly as well so the main threat is disclosure of information on the files, URLs etc you have accessed on a shared computer to other people.

You would have to decide if you need to keep the MRU lists private. E.g. maybe you have been shopping online for a present for somebody and if they are able to access your MRU lists on a shared computer the surprise will be lost. If you do use a shared computer maybe at home for all the family then the best approach would be to set permissions so that only you can access your own files. Clearing the MRU lists e.g. using Ad-Aware would prevent anybody being able to trace your activity but at the same time would cause you inconvenience of not having a quick way to access recently used files in an application. Only you can make that judgement call.

[Personally, I don't bother making them private but then I hardly ever share my PC and, of course, I don't visit dodgy sites :santa: ]

Hope this helps somewhat...

cisono.

MRUs or "Most Recently Used" is a convenient feature that allows you to quickly select files, URLs etc that you have used in the past within an application. As such, they will "keep coming back" because you keep using your computer in between scans. You can simply ignore them, unless you share a computer with other users and really value your privacy. The following adds a bit of detail....

[Personally, I don't bother making them private but then I hardly ever share my PC and, of course, I don't visit dodgy sites :santa: ]

cisono.

Who doesn't :thumbup::D

cisono.

Cheers that helps a lot, like you I don't share my pc other than with MrsG if hers is playing up, what's a dodgy site? :dunno:

My Laptop keeps telling my it's got "Low Disk Space" so I keep having to delete stuff, e.t.c, I have got a USB stick so i've been transfering music and stuff onto my Desktop PC but I have loads of music on my Laptop and it's not a huge USB stick i've got, so to transfer all my music and pictures, e.t.c would take forever, so i'm looking at an External Hard Drive would this sort my Laptop's problem?

If so is this a good one? http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_...p;category_oid=

320GB is alot of memory is it?

Thing that worries my is it seems very cheap, I've been looking at some at PC World and there about £60 for a 120GB memory.

Cheers for any help!

(I know the basics of using computers, but when it comes to memory/PC problems, I've not got a clue)

My Laptop keeps telling my it's got "Low Disk Space" so I keep having to delete stuff, e.t.c, I have got a USB stick so i've been transfering music and stuff onto my Desktop PC but I have loads of music on my Laptop and it's not a huge USB stick i've got, so to transfer all my music and pictures, e.t.c would take forever, so i'm looking at an External Hard Drive would this sort my Laptop's problem?

If so is this a good one? http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_...p;category_oid=

320GB is alot of memory is it?

Thing that worries my is it seems very cheap, I've been looking at some at PC World and there about £60 for a 120GB memory.

Cheers for any help!

(I know the basics of using computers, but when it comes to memory/PC problems, I've not got a clue)

Dont bother with that crap

Go to amazon and get one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-FREEAGENT-...8099&sr=8-1

Or from PC world

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw...:SortOrder_DOWN

There are cheaper Seagates,with smaller space,the choice is yours

Or you can also burn the mp3's as data using nero onto a dvd disk (i.e 4.3gb worth for about £.030)

Edited by CupidStunt

Here's a question regarding software:

I do have NTI CD&DVD-Maker Gold installed on my ACER laptop (it came along as part of the package).

I do safety copies of my DVDs onto an external hard drive (by compressing them using DVD Decrypter followed by DVDShrink).

In order to burn those copies onto blank DVDs, NTI CD & DVD Maker is essential.

Up until a few weeks back, I could burn copies easily just by running the regular process (I do that via "Data DVD").

But now, I hardly ever have a DVD completed at all. Most of the times, the burning process stops either at 42, 77 or 87 percent. As a result, there's parts of the information missing on the disc and the DVD won't start properly.

It seems like the whole shabang starts later than usual and the speed is also slowed down for some reason.

Am I overusing (and thus overheating) my DVD drive or is it just regular "wear and tear"?

Or should I download another, more reliable program?

I know its been Nov since you last posted,but your statement on what you use sorta confuses me?

Dvd decrypter cant shrink movies,it only has a burn engine,maybe you got your wires crossed i dunno?

For copying Movies i recommend you use a program called CLONEDVD/ANYDVD

http://www.slysoft.com/en/

Clonedvd shrinks and burns the images

Anydvd works in the background and removes any copyright protection

and then nothing...

Im never buying HP Compaq again. Had the laptop for just over a year (warrenty ran out by 2 weeks....) and its got the same prob as yours. Power light comes on, fan spins but nothing happens.Took it to PC place and they said its the motherboard. :@

PS The Christmas money ive used for buying a new computer was for rent Gonna have to live on beans till the end of my degree. Great.

Im never buying HP Compaq again. Had the laptop for just over a year (warrenty ran out by 2 weeks....) and its got the same prob as yours. Power light comes on, fan spins but nothing happens.Took it to PC place and they said its the motherboard. :@

PS The Christmas money ive used for buying a new computer was for rent Gonna have to live on beans till the end of my degree. Great.

Bad News mate aint it! mine has just been left on the side lol a motherboard on ebay is like £140!!!!! :@ so meh to that!

Bad News mate aint it! mine has just been left on the side lol a motherboard on ebay is like £140!!!!! :@ so meh to that!

OK here's one for you....

We have 2 laptops, a PC, an Orange Livebox and a printer. And my lazy arse.

The printer is connected by USB to the PC, which not being wireless is connected by wire to our Orange Livebox.

Now here's the thing.

There's nothing I like more than to sit on my sofa, wirelessly surfing while Mrs SF either surfs on her laptop or watches Celebrity Runway Makeover Jungle on Big Brother Ice. Occasionally I want to print something out, but my Lazy Arse prevents this as moving from the sofa leads to a fatal error.

Is there any way I can make a network using the Livebox so that I can print to the Printer (sadly it isn't wireless or bluetooth enabled)

Any help would be gratefully received.

easily, just make sure your pc that the printer is connected to is on. In control panel go to printers and right click the printer, and then click "sharing" and share it.

On you laptop, go to control panel, add printer, then choose a network printer to add, search for the one you just shared. It will install it and then you can print to it as if it were connected to your laptop.

I've got some software that iwas assured would run on Vista however when installing it a few problems occur.

When trying to contact the supplier they need the following info:

Operating System

DirectX Version

Processor

Graphics Card

Graphics Card Driver Version

They say to get this info do:

Click on the Start Button and on Run

In Run type DXDIAG and left click on the OK button

The DirectX Diagnostic Tool should open. Click on an item below for help on finding it

So my question is and I should know this but where the hell is the equivalent of Run in Vista?