Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

HELP is at hand for General PC queries, not Foxestalk ones

I've got some software that iwas assured would run on Vista however when installing it a few problems occur.

When trying to contact the supplier they need the following info:

Operating System

DirectX Version

Processor

Graphics Card

Graphics Card Driver Version

They say to get this info do:

So my question is and I should know this but where the hell is the equivalent of Run in Vista?

Not using vista,but the old fashioned Hold WIN+R should work

And while i am at it,you probably have it hidden under start properties

right click on start/properties/customise/click the run tab

Like i say,i havent got vista,so i am guessing my instructions are correct

Edited by CupidStunt

So my question is and I should know this but where the hell is the equivalent of Run in Vista?

Click the start button, and there's the little search window at the bottom of the start menu... just type dxdiag in there and hit enter.

The Run function appears to have been combined with the Search function. After all, Run just searches for applications in the Windows folder...

The alternative, as posted above, is to use the keyboard shortcut WIN + R. This also works in Vista. :)

** edit **

Alternatively, you could use the start menu to search for Run. Then you can run dxdiag from the Run application... but that's probably a little redundant. :giggle:

Edited by lookwhaticando

Not using vista,but the old fashioned Hold WIN+R should work

And while i am at it,you probably have it hidden under start properties

right click on start/properties/customise/click the run tab

Like i say,i havent got vista,so i am guessing my instructions are correct

Click the start button, and there's the little search window at the bottom of the start menu... just type dxdiag in there and hit enter.

The Run function appears to have been combined with the Search function. After all, Run just searches for applications in the Windows folder...

The alternative, as posted above, is to use the keyboard shortcut WIN + R. This also works in Vista. :)

** edit **

Alternatively, you could use the start menu to search for Run. Then you can run dxdiag from the Run application... but that's probably a little redundant. :giggle:

Ok thanks manage to do that it was the Graphics card I was having particular problems with, it appears to be labelled just as device well at least I hope it is because that's the info I've now sent.

My sister just got talktalk broadband and has connected the modem via USB. Is it worth buying a network card to let her use ethernet instead?

I prefer ethernet,as they tend to be more stable,and you might need it with talk talk,cause IMO there shite

you can pick a ehernet card up for about 4 squid from amazon

Ref Firefox.

I've been using this for a few years and never had a problem until this evening when I got an update message which I ran.

Now, although Firefox opens as normal with all my tabs and bookmarks intact it just wont connect to the internet.

To post this I've had to open IE.

Anyone got a clue to what's happened and a solution?

Ps I've tried reinstalling Firefox over the existing installation, I don't want to risk losing all my bookmarks and tabs by uninstalling and that's made no difference.

Edit: I've now tried uninstalling and reinstalling but to no effect.

This is really getting on my tits now!!! :@:@:@:@

Ref Firefox.

I've been using this for a few years and never had a problem until this evening when I got an update message which I ran.

Now, although Firefox opens as normal with all my tabs and bookmarks intact it just wont connect to the internet.

To post this I've had to open IE.

Anyone got a clue to what's happened and a solution?

Ps I've tried reinstalling Firefox over the existing installation, I don't want to risk losing all my bookmarks and tabs by uninstalling and that's made no difference.

Edit: I've now tried uninstalling and reinstalling but to no effect.

This is really getting on my tits now!!! :@:@:@:@

Now resolved :thumbup::D

The problem was? In case it happens to someone else. ;)

:doh: Firewall setting - apparently updating can alter your firewall settings, not that it ever has before :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...

What programs are best to wipe all remaining personal data off a harddrive?

I'd like to sell my old PC and have already de-installed all programs.

I've put all personal files and data on an external HD, so I got that saved as a back-up.

Now, I just want to make sure ID thieves aren't able to get anything out of my old machine, especially passwords and photos.

What programs are best to wipe all remaining personal data off a harddrive?

I'd like to sell my old PC and have already de-installed all programs.

I've put all personal files and data on an external HD, so I got that saved as a back-up.

Now, I just want to make sure ID thieves aren't able to get anything out of my old machine, especially passwords and photos.

When I sold my old pc, I just deleted my user. You could also clean reinstall windows?

On a sidenote, how do I get rid of my Norton once the one-year license has run out?

I heard it's a pain in the a** to de-install it completely.

I had same problem

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

And if fellow Vista owners could please tell me how to get my PC back to work once it has entered Energy Save Mode, that'd be much appreciated...

What do I have to push to bring it back to "life"? :dunno:

Spacebar works for me :dunno:

My daughter's been messing with the computer and now the toolbar is at the top. How do I put it back at the bottom?

Right click on it... make sure "Lock the Taskbar" isn't checked.

To move it, just click on a blank part of it... and then drag it back to the bottom of your screen. Then you can Lock the Taskbar (optional) again, to fix it in place.

Right click on it... make sure "Lock the Taskbar" isn't checked.

To move it, just click on a blank part of it... and then drag it back to the bottom of your screen. Then you can Lock the Taskbar (optional) again, to fix it in place.

Cheers. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

All, I JUST GOT THIS EMAIL WARNING :dunno:

I checked with Norton Anti-Virus, and they are gearing up for this virus! I checked snopes.com, and it is for real!!

Get this E-mail message sent around to your contacts ASAP.

Do not open any message with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD,' regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer. This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list.

This is the reason why you need to send this e-mail to all your contacts. It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you by a friend, do not open it! Shut down your computer immediately.

This is the worst virus announced by CNN. It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept. This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list. This is the reason why you need to send this e-mail to all your contacts. It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

COPY THIS E-MAIL, AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS. REMEMBER: IF YOU SEND IT TO THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL

OF US.

All, I JUST GOT THIS EMAIL WARNING :dunno:

I checked with Norton Anti-Virus, and they are gearing up for this virus! I checked snopes.com, and it is for real!!

Get this E-mail message sent around to your contacts ASAP.

Do not open any message with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD,' regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer. This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list.

This is the reason why you need to send this e-mail to all your contacts. It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you by a friend, do not open it! Shut down your computer immediately.

This is the worst virus announced by CNN. It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept. This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list. This is the reason why you need to send this e-mail to all your contacts. It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

COPY THIS E-MAIL, AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS. REMEMBER: IF YOU SEND IT TO THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL

OF US.

Nice to know.