Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

HELP is at hand for General PC queries, not Foxestalk ones

Can you install FM 2008 on a Windows Vista laptop?

The FM booklet says you can but the last time I installed a game the laptop went bust. We've had a few problems with this laptop recently and I dont want to do anything else to it..

Like the man said - it does, you can...providing it isn't one of them free Vista's wot they give to stoodents. For some reason it really doesn't like that version of Vista Business.

My kids want a wireless modem so that they can play their DS Lites on wi fi. They seem to range from £30 to £80. Is their any reason why the dear ones are better than the cheap ones?

Can anybody recommend a good one?

have you goot cable broadband or ADSL?

My sound doesn't seem to work on my Laptop, A few months ago it stopped working but then suddenly started working for a couple of days/weeks then stopped working again.

I have made sure its not switched off :doh:

I have looked into my settings and under sound it says:

Device Name - Realtek High Definition Audio.

Status - Unknown.

Does that explain alot? Does anyone know anything they can suggest the problem is and a way to fix it? :dunno:

My sound doesn't seem to work on my Laptop, A few months ago it stopped working but then suddenly started working for a couple of days/weeks then stopped working again.

I have made sure its not switched off :doh:

I have looked into my settings and under sound it says:

Device Name - Realtek High Definition Audio.

Status - Unknown.

Does that explain alot? Does anyone know anything they can suggest the problem is and a way to fix it? :dunno:

Reinstall your drivers for it. I had the same problem.

Where do I find these? Do a search? Is there a Realtek website?

Sorry, I'm useless with PC/Laptops.

I cant remember exactly how to do it. Look around on the internet on how to reinstall audio drivers?

There might be a reinstall or uninstall option when you go on properties. Cant be much more help sorry.

My broadband is with talktalk through a BT line.

Cool, you have ADSL broadband.....Go for a middle of the range Lynksys adsl router, about £50 will be fine. Remember most of the routers offer wireless speeds @ 54Mbps and you will probably have about 5mbps broadband so you will be fine on that front.

If you want links let me know. Also i may go onto virgin media nad if i do i will PM you as you can have my wireless router (year old, boxed and fault free)

Cool, you have ADSL broadband.....Go for a middle of the range Lynksys adsl router, about £50 will be fine. Remember most of the routers offer wireless speeds @ 54Mbps and you will probably have about 5mbps broadband so you will be fine on that front.

If you want links let me know. Also i may go onto virgin media nad if i do i will PM you as you can have my wireless router (year old, boxed and fault free)

Somebody told me all I needed was a dongle( what a silly word :rolleyes: ), so I've ordered one. If it doesn't work I'll let you know. :thumbup:

Where do I find these? Do a search? Is there a Realtek website?

Sorry, I'm useless with PC/Laptops.

My coputer right click >>>>. Properties >>>.. Device manager >>>>.. sound stuff just right click sound driver and reinstall

If I'm downloading a game via bittorrent am I able to pause it when I switch the computer off, then continue tomorrow to finish downloading? The file I'm hoping to download is huge and I cba to stay up until about 3am for it to finish.

Yes. Right click --- Pause?

Linux users...

Can anyone recommend a very compact flavour of Linux to use on an old-ish laptop. It's got to be small as the HD is only 12Gb and I'm aiming for a very paired-down system. Nowt flashy for us northern folk, like. I used to use Red Hat yonks ago, but I've completely lost touch with things Linuxy. I just need to word process and access the internet. Ubuntu seems very popular, but it looks a bit big.

Any recommendations?

Anyone familiar with Paintshop Pro 8,

I've got an image stuck on it when it loads up and causes an error. I have to use alt, control delete to close. Now I've tried uninstall/reinstall but when ever I initiate it always loads with this image embedded in it. I can use it as admin for my laptop but when I'm logged in as me up it pops completely locking up the programme. :@:@:@

I've loaded up Photoshop but I have many images saved as PSP and these wont open in anything else.

Help!!!!

tried that already.

I dunno then thats what happened to me when I had a laptop. If I was eating summat and it got on to the pad, it would dart around all over the place. Damp cloth sorted it. If its still bust prob cheapest alternative to the laptop mouse would be like a USB mouse? Pick them up for a few quid.