Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

HELP is at hand for General PC queries, not Foxestalk ones

Turned on my other pc today and was faced with this message, and it happens everytime i turn on so i cant access files internet etc it wont let me start up. No idea what it means because a lot of it seems lost in translation and really dont know what to do.

Wafdgws cgudd fgt start because t'e fgddwafg fade as eassafg gr cgrrupt2 Sqstee 32 TDRAVERSTpca&sqs

Qgu caf atteept tg repaar t'as fade bq startafg wafdgws.

Setup usafg t'e gragafad setup CD%RGE&

Sedect 'r' at t'e farst screef tg start depaar&

Not joking it came up with this. Help. Please :(

There's definitely some consistency in the different letters, almost like a code. (Or Windows could just have turned Welsh :P) I've managed to crack most of it, and after some knowledge of Windows error messages, and general guesswork, I've come back with this.

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt. System 32 TDRAVERSTpci&sys*

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original setup CD-ROM.

Select ‘r’ at the first screen to start repair.

My guess would be that Windows is telling you that a system file is corrupt, and is asking you to insert the Windows CD when you start up the computer and do a "repair install", which will replace the files necessary to run Windows, usually without deleting your personal files.

* I can't figure out what this is, TDRAVERST is not a windows system file, and I can't figure out what it could mean.

Edited by Mike the Metal Ed

Does anyone know what sort of cable i need to connect my Laptop to my TV? I have got some sort of 15 pin port on the back of my laptop if thats any help.

My tv has got holes for Scart leads too. So i am guessing a cable with one end 15 pinnage and the other end scart would do the trick lol I am a technical wizard ;)

Can somebody please help me sort the colours out on Firefox please.

As you can see from the picture (If it loads? :unsure:) the background is whitewashed and I don't know how to change it back. I think Window Washer has messed it up.

Any help would be appreciated. :thumbup:

screenfw2.jpg

its not the colours as such, it's this site, but with "styles" disabled, either because it hasn't downloaded the stylesheet properly, or because you have turned them off.

Hav you installed any plugins to firefox that might disable styles? If not try clearing your cache and reloading the page.

Does anyone know what sort of cable i need to connect my Laptop to my TV? I have got some sort of 15 pin port on the back of my laptop if thats any help.

My tv has got holes for Scart leads too. So i am guessing a cable with one end 15 pinnage and the other end scart would do the trick lol I am a technical wizard ;)

You need "VGA to Scart" cable (a "Scart to VGA" will not work), they aren't cheap though and are fairly rare - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PC-Laptop-computer-t...1QQcmdZViewItem around £50 if you can find them.

Most modern TVs have VGA input so there isn't that much call for the leads anymore I suppose...

its not the colours as such, it's this site, but with "styles" disabled, either because it hasn't downloaded the stylesheet properly, or because you have turned them off.

Hav you installed any plugins to firefox that might disable styles? If not try clearing your cache and reloading the page.

Brilliant mate thanks :thumbup:

Cleared the cache, reloaded the page and it works.

• 3 weeks later...
now for some reason i no longer have the option to create a compressed file, but that's by the by, can anyone suggest decent (by decent i mean free) file compressing software? cheers in advance.

on a mac this feature is built into the OS, you just right click on the file and select the option.

On PC's I heard 7zip is good though I've never used it myself.

I'm using Firefox and you can see the site I'm trying to connect to in the bottom left hand corner.

Can someone explain how, occasionally when I'm trying to connect to a Foxestalk page, could be others as well it shows that it's trying to connect to Paypal :o

I'm not too concerned from a 'losing money' point of view as I only have £1.98 in there and my card details are out of date but it is somewhat disconcerting to see.

Thanks

I'm using Firefox and you can see the site I'm trying to connect to in the bottom left hand corner.

Can someone explain how, occasionally when I'm trying to connect to a Foxestalk page, could be others as well it shows that it's trying to connect to Paypal :o

I'm not too concerned from a 'losing money' point of view as I only have £1.98 in there and my card details are out of date but it is somewhat disconcerting to see.

Thanks

It's just because there is the Pay Pal donate thing at the bottom, obviously it requires some sort of connection to let people donate.

Well I'm just saying it's got nothing to do with taking your money out of your account.

And I'm just admitting you're right and I'm so slooooooooooooooooow!!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a question regarding software:

I do have NTI CD&DVD-Maker Gold installed on my ACER laptop (it came along as part of the package).

I do safety copies of my DVDs onto an external hard drive (by compressing them using DVD Decrypter followed by DVDShrink).

In order to burn those copies onto blank DVDs, NTI CD & DVD Maker is essential.

Up until a few weeks back, I could burn copies easily just by running the regular process (I do that via "Data DVD").

But now, I hardly ever have a DVD completed at all. Most of the times, the burning process stops either at 42, 77 or 87 percent. As a result, there's parts of the information missing on the disc and the DVD won't start properly.

It seems like the whole shabang starts later than usual and the speed is also slowed down for some reason.

Am I overusing (and thus overheating) my DVD drive or is it just regular "wear and tear"?

Or should I download another, more reliable program?

Here's a question regarding software:

I do have NTI CD&DVD-Maker Gold installed on my ACER laptop (it came along as part of the package).

I do safety copies of my DVDs onto an external hard drive (by compressing them using DVD Decrypter followed by DVDShrink).

In order to burn those copies onto blank DVDs, NTI CD & DVD Maker is essential.

Up until a few weeks back, I could burn copies easily just by running the regular process (I do that via "Data DVD").

But now, I hardly ever have a DVD completed at all. Most of the times, the burning process stops either at 42, 77 or 87 percent. As a result, there's parts of the information missing on the disc and the DVD won't start properly.

It seems like the whole shabang starts later than usual and the speed is also slowed down for some reason.

Am I overusing (and thus overheating) my DVD drive or is it just regular "wear and tear"?

Or should I download another, more reliable program?

So all you need is a data burning program or am I missing something?

So all you need is a data burning program or am I missing something?

It's a strange case. With most DVD files, I don't have any issues with.

For instance, after burning another three to four copies today (all of them working fine, btw), it looks like there's an issue with that one particular movie. NTI CD & DVD Maker always ends and completes the burning process without copying the files completely (the now-famous 77 percent).

I have no clue what's actually causing this.

All I know is, I lost like 15 useless burnt DVDs in the process. :rolleyes:

Oh well, buy me a new stash next week.