Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Euro 2016 Qualifying

I think Wayne Rooney should play at the base of the diamond. He can play the killer 30 yard passes that are needed, reads the game well and uses possession wisely. He clearly wants ball to feet at all times and doesn't pose much of a threat in behind which you want from your strikers. Wilshere did ok in that position but he was nothing special and I don't think it naturally suits his game, I'd play him on the left side of the diamond where he can get forward more. Against the rest of the teams in our group we should be good enough to beat them and Roy should look to experiment with it. 

1102427_England.jpg

For me

I think Wayne Rooney should play at the base of the diamond. He can play the killer 30 yard passes that are needed, reads the game well and uses possession wisely. He clearly wants ball to feet at all times and doesn't pose much of a threat in behind which you want from your strikers. Wilshere did ok in that position but he was nothing special and I don't think it naturally suits his game, I'd play him on the left side of the diamond where he can get forward more. Against the rest of the teams in our group we should be good enough to beat them and Roy should look to experiment with it. 

1102427_England.jpg

For me

From striker to midfield anchor man? errr........

And we were still shit at the world cup, and have been at pretty much every majour tournament in my lifetime barring Italia 90 and Euro 96 so the odd good qualifier performance is largely meaningless if you cant do it in the crunch.

1102427_England.jpg

For me

I kind of agree with that to be fair mate, obviously never going to happen Rooney playing in that role. 

Just really annoys me that we failed to use the diamond in Brazil, really would of worked so much better. 

From striker to midfield anchor man? errr........

And we were still shit at the world cup, and have been at pretty much every majour tournament in my lifetime barring Italia 90 and Euro 96 so the odd good qualifier performance is largely meaningless if you cant do it in the crunch.

Clearly you died before World Cup 2002 and came back to life shortly after Euro 2004, because they were two tournaments where we really should of won the tournament and damn right bad luck prevented us from doing so. 

Has that idiot really said England didn't deserve to win? lol

Switzerland are absolutely terrible, I was worried about the state of our national side after watching them I feel a little bit better, for a side ranked 9th in the world to play that poorly is ridiculous. Prussian don't troll, England were better tonight in absolutely every single area, simple. 

Henderson was so much better second half, didn't think he was at the races first half. Wilshire wasn't great, completely new territory for him tonight though being that deep and trying to dictate the tempo of the game, keep him there now for the remainder and watch him grow into the position. Delph, reckless first 15 minutes but then grew into the game, his energy is exactly what you need when you play the diamond. Sterling was Sterling, the bright spark who seemed to be dangerous whenever he got the ball. 

Defensively I thought we were ok, with Wilshire still new to the role there was a few gaps between the midfield and the defence and sometimes we were exposed. Stones did really well, Cahill was a rock (that block :D), Jones was the weaker one and Baines didn't really do a lot, did well going forward though. Hart was solid! 

Rooney for me has no place in the England side, clearly the diamond is the formation that benefits England, to play the diamond you need two strikers and Rooney still comes to deep looking for the ball. Clogs the game and space up and is coming into areas where others are playing. People won't agree but a front two of Sturridge and Welbeck would be so much more beneficial. 

If only we had played this system in the World Cup liked I begged Hodgson would do, Gerrard would of excelled in the diamond and so would have Sterling. Remember quite a few of you lot on here telling me it wouldn't work, yet it's the same few people in this thread tonight telling me its the best England performance in a while. lol

Funny as well how I have always said Switzerland are shit and again I have been proving right. :D

After all your top trolling in past months and years, what a comeback calling others names, Lofty! lol

It wasn't a deserved win, it was all pretty equal until that one individual mistake. I'm not denying it, we were woeful in front of goal, but so were England up to that point.

Like I've said, this was our first competitive match under the new manager and with a new formation. Contrary to England, we didn't play a proper friendly against another nation, but resorted to facing a local Swiss side a few days ago.

Two lucky punches, that's all there was in England's favour. In essence, we were the creators of our own downfall.

If it counts for anything, I've previously mentioned that Hodgson needed given time to form something longer-lasting and there are signs of improvement for England for the immediate future. Some pieces of that puzzle are coming together nicely, especially with Henderson, Sterling and Sturridge.

I kind of agree with that to be fair mate, obviously never going to happen Rooney playing in that role. 

Just really annoys me that we failed to use the diamond in Brazil, really would of worked so much better. 

If Gerrard was still playing for England we would have won by a couple more tonight. We need someone in that pivot role who can spot the killer ball and play it. The way we played tonight suits us down to the ground as we have no wingers but good attacking full backs who can push on, gets Sterling in his most dangerous position (Barkley can push him for that place when back fully firing), 2 up top and gets workers like Henderson/Milner playing to their strengths. The only thing we are lacking is that midfielder at the base of the diamond.

**** knows why Roy didn't play it in the World Cup.

After all your top trolling in past months and years, what a comeback calling others names, Lofty! lol

It wasn't a deserved win, it was all pretty equal until that one individual mistake. I'm not denying it, we were woeful in front of goal, but so were England up to that point.

Like I've said, this was our first competitive match under the new manager and with a new formation. Contrary to England, we didn't play a proper friendly against another nation, but resorted to facing a local Swiss side a few days ago.

Two lucky punches, that's all there was in England's favour. In essence, we were the creators of our own downfall.

If it counts for anything, I've previously mentioned that Hodgson needed given time to form something longer-lasting and there are signs of improvement for England for the immediate future. Some pieces of that puzzle are coming together nicely, especially with Henderson, Sterling and Sturridge.

What trolling have I done regarding England? I have always said we are a better side than you, tonight I have been proven right. Also said England would benefit playing the system that we have played tonight, again I have been proven right tonight. Only thing I have been passionate about is Hodgson, that is still up in the air. 

How was it not a deserved win? Seriously? You are one very deluded person. Lucky punches? Take it you were in a nap when Welbeck fluffed the pass to Sterling from 8 yards out and when Sterling missed an absolute sitter again from around 8 yards? Course you were. 

It wasn't equal until the mistake, England looked the better side tonight before the goal, simple as that, funny how everyone is saying pretty much the same thing but of course you can't be humble and admit Switzerland were absolutely garbage. 

Oh yes, England comfortably beat you this evening purely on the basis we played Norway 5 days ago and Switzerland played nobody. How stupid of me to forget we are discussing international football and a side ranked 9th in the world. lol - what a brilliant excuse. 

Oh and Prussian, stop airing my name on here, you don't even know me personally. 

Clearly you died before World Cup 2002 and came back to life shortly after Euro 2004, because they were two tournaments where we really should of won the tournament and damn right bad luck prevented us from doing so. 

Yeah i agree with you about 2002. We were so unlucky. We had Beckham hobbling around and ducking out of challenges that lead to goals, We had the Swede in charge who couldnt take the Brazil game by the scruff of the neck and go bold against 10 men, we were so unlucky.

It was a quarter final. We got knowhere close to winning the tournament.

If Gerrard was still playing for England we would have won by a couple more tonight. We need someone in that pivot role who can spot the killer ball and play it. The way we played tonight suits us down to the ground as we have no wingers but good attacking full backs who can push on, gets Sterling in his most dangerous position (Barkley can push him for that place when back fully firing), 2 up top and gets workers like Henderson/Milner playing to their strengths. The only thing we are lacking is that midfielder at the base of the diamond.

**** knows why Roy didn't play it in the World Cup.

Carrick? 

Haha I'm still unsure, I was saying it for a good month before the World Cup, really disappointed me that Gerrard didn't have more of an influence in team meetings and in speaking to Hodgson and Neville about tactics and formations. Common sense should of told everyone that was the system that we should of used. 

Yeah i agree with you about 2002. We were so unlucky. We had Beckham hobbling around and ducking out of challenges that lead to goals, We had the Swede in charge who couldnt take the Brazil game by the scruff of the neck and go bold against 10 men, we were so unlucky.

It was a quarter final. We got knowhere close to winning the tournament.

2002, we were absolutely shattered, went close to beating the eventual winners, wasn't outplayed and Beckham completely bottled a tackle from Carlos leading the equaliser right on half time. Brazil went on to comfortably beat Turkey in the semi-final and comfortably beat Germany in the Final, we could easily have won that tournament. 

2004, we were one game (penalty shootout) away from playing a semi-final against France who we should of beaten in the group stage but Beckham, Gerrard and James had other ideas. Beat them and we would have had Greece in the Final. 

Still maintain we would of beaten Portugal comfortably if Rooney hadn't got injured and had to go off, he was the player of the tournament before that and we were 1-0 up within 10 minutes. Oh and let's not forget Campbell's wrongly ruled out goal against the host nation in the last few minutes of the game.. 

Like I said mate, 2004 was down to damn bad luck. 

Carrick? 

Haha I'm still unsure, I was saying it for a good month before the World Cup, really disappointed me that Gerrard didn't have more of an influence in team meetings and in speaking to Hodgson and Neville about tactics and formations. Common sense should of told everyone that was the system that we should of used. 

I'd love to see Tom Huddlestone get a chance, he's a two footed player who naturally plays that holding position and at 27 still has a Euros and a World Cup in him. He's got all the attributes and technical ability to play there - the only downside is he's a little slow but for me his reading of the game makes up for that. He's the only English player I can think of aside from Gerrard and Carrick who plays that position well. Seems like Roy doesn't fancy him at all though.

2004, we were one game (penalty shootout) away from playing a semi-final against France who we should of beaten in the group stage but Beckham, Gerrard and James had other ideas. Beat them and we would have had Greece in the Final. 

Still maintain we would of beaten Portugal comfortably if Rooney hadn't got injured and had to go off, he was the player of the tournament before that and we were 1-0 up within 10 minutes. Oh and let's not forget Campbell's wrongly ruled out goal against the host nation in the last few minutes of the game.. 

Like I said mate, 2004 was down to damn bad luck. 

Wed have been playing a team that wed already lost to in the groups, we were bound to win that, yeah, and then who knows, maybe a final against a team we needed a 94th minute free kick against to qualify automatically for a world cup. How the hell do you know what would have happened?

If wed have beaten them, wed have had another game and then if we beat them, wed have another game blah blah blah

We lost.

What trolling have I done regarding England? I have always said we are a better side than you, tonight I have been proven right. Also said England would benefit playing the system that we have played tonight, again I have been proven right tonight. Only thing I have been passionate about is Hodgson, that is still up in the air. 

How was it not a deserved win? Seriously? You are one very deluded person. Lucky punches? Take it you were in a nap when Welbeck fluffed the pass to Sterling from 8 yards out and when Sterling missed an absolute sitter again from around 8 yards? Course you were. 

It wasn't equal until the mistake, England looked the better side tonight before the goal, simple as that, funny how everyone is saying pretty much the same thing but of course you can't be humble and admit Switzerland were absolutely garbage. 

Oh yes, England comfortably beat you this evening purely on the basis we played Norway 5 days ago and Switzerland played nobody. How stupid of me to forget we are discussing international football and a side ranked 9th in the world. lol - what a brilliant excuse. 

Oh and Prussian, stop airing my name on here, you don't even know me personally. 

Lofty, I remember a particular 2-2 draw at Wembley... Thing with claims is you can always maintain your stance until the desired result flocks in.

I've mentioned it before that both sides were equally wasteful up until the hour mark. You had your sitters, we had ours.

If you want to talk deluded, one only has to go back and see what tosh you've written about superior England in the past and your World Cup 2014 output for most recent proof.

Also, I just mentioned that we actually did have a prep game, just not one on the same scale as England. And I did also mention that we were a hopeless case in front of goal and that I never want to see Djourou in a Swiss national football team dress again.

Prussian, let this sink in.. 

ENGLAND WERE THE BETTER SIDE AND SWITZERLAND ARE ABSOLUTELY SHIT. 

GOODNIGHT, YOU WASTEMAN. 

RULE BRITANNIA. GOD SAVE THE QUEEN AND KATE MIDDLETON. xxxxx

Nighty Night.

Prussian, let this sink in.. 

ENGLAND WERE THE MORE CLEVER SIDE AND SWITZERLAND WERE ABSOLUTELY WASTEFUL IN FRONT OF GOAL. 

GOODNIGHT, YOU BEAUT. 

RULE BRITANNIA. GOD SAVE AN OLD LADY AND SOME PRINCESS. xxxxx

I didn't know you could talk sense, too.

Enjoy wallowing in the result. Three points for two clever counterattacks initiated by some terrible defending.

EDIT: Weren't you off to sleep? lol Lofty's still lurking... Just can't get enough of putting it into people's faces... lol

I have acknowledged England's potential rise from the ashes.

Still waiting for the day you give credit to England's opposition - no matter where they come from.

P.S.: THANKS FOR GIVING US FOOTBALL SOME BLOODY 120 YEARS AGO - WE'LL ALWAYS BE THANKFUL FOR THAT!

We will live off results like tonight to rightly justify us as possily the greaest footballing nation ever until making a major tournament and realising we are actually quite shit after all.

We are better than you full stop.

As you yourself pointed out, you haven't beaten us in over 30 years.

Who cares if we are better than Switzerland or not, jesus christ we are crap. Do something in a bleeding major tournament.

We are better than you full stop.

As you yourself pointed out, you haven't beaten us in over 30 years.

You are better than us in direct comparison, that much is true.

Everything else is pretty much wishful thinking on behalf of a nation living off its past reputation.

Archived