Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Euro 2016 Qualifying

Well fought win against a robust and competitive side

Thought we looked good holding back and picking them off on the counter, the midfield of Henderson and Delph held well, the latter dealing well with the restriction of a yellow over his head from early on, Wilshere couldve done more in movement and forward passing but he only f**ked up once or twice which led to chances for them. Welbeck looked sloppy for most of the game but made it count when it mattered, not scared to get at them. Sterling and Rooney did well, but both sloppy at times. Stones did well, still think we need a propper figurehead at the back, Cahill is good but he just seems abit wet, see if he developes in future though he has quality.

Thought Seforovic was a bellend, got the right instincts up front but a propper bell. As was Behrami, though I wouldnt mind him in my team, a combative bellend who puts in a shift.

Something to build off this performance, its a good result but we need to build for when we come up against bigger profile nations

Really was a good performance from our lads tonight, pressure was on and they came away with a deserved win really. Delph surprisingly got better as the game went on, although it couldn't really get any worse in that first 10 mins or so lol. Overall opinion? Its pretty clear were not at the standard we used to be at, BUT it was our best outing in quite a long time.

Welbeck was one of England's better players at the World Cup, while tonight he proved he can also be a good finisher. Seriously don't know why he gets so much stick, hopefully the haters shut up for now.

People still laughing at the Delph selection? Far better than Wilshere tonight, Wilshere wasted so many balls.

Good win; however Woy still looks like a twat on the touchline. 

It's so frustrating that we crash out in big tournaments. The Swiss progressed in the World Cup and of course, out comes all the balls about them being a good side and being favourite for our Euro qualifying group etc.

We've just seen actually that they remain pretty average at International level and that WE can still compete and can play some good football.

I don't know if it's a mentality thing or summat but consistently qualification remains not a problem for us generally. It's the tournaments where we let ourselves down,

And people still question how Welbeck gets in the team lol.

Well yes, before tonight he hadn't scored for over a fcking year, with Rooney Sterling  everyone available I'd still have him nowhere near. Lets not let that stop the knee jerk reactions though.

EDIT: By everyone I mean Walcott, Ox, Sturridge

From what I saw it was nothing we didn't already know, a good array of attacking players with a shakey midfield and defense - if not for some last ditch blocks the results might have been different!

Going forward though we have a very promising bunch of players that are direct and quick with the ball, keep working on that whilst developing Chambers and Stones and the situation isn't all that bleak

No they were shit tonight, it's one game. Yeah.

but when have they ever been anything other than shit? comprehensively beaten by us. struggled past ecuador in the World Cup. got bum raped by France. did well in some qualifiers against shite teams. they're crap mate. we're not great and we could've won 4 or 5 today and they couldn't have complaine because they are shit.

but when have they ever been anything other than shit? comprehensively beaten by us. struggled past ecuador in the World Cup. got bum raped by France. did well in some qualifiers against shite teams. they're crap mate. we're not great and we could've won 4 or 5 today and they couldn't have complaine because they are shit.

You say that but we didn't beat Ecuador or Honduras pre tournament and went out at the bottom of our group, topped by Costa Rica. 

World beaters they are not but if you top your group and beat Brazil and Germany in friendlies and lose two games in two years your going to be there or there abouts in the seedings.

They aren't fantastic but it's a results based ranking and they earned their seeding it's that simple, so it's not a debate. They also had the best chance of the first half and had it been finished it's a different game.

You say that but we didn't beat Ecuador or Honduras pre tournament and went out at the bottom of our group, topped by Costa Rica.

World beaters they are not but if you top your group and beat Brazil and Germany in friendlies and lose two games in two years your going to be there or there abouts in the seedings.

They aren't fantastic but it's a results based ranking and they earned their seeding it's that simple, so it's not a debate. They also had the best chance of the first half and had it been finished it's a different game.

yeah they had some alright results. tbf i sort of argued my point wrong, my main point was to the people who were scared of getting battered by them or saying how anything above evens was a price to load on Switzerland because they're obviously loads better than us. They're not. They're incredibly average.

yeah they had some alright results. tbf i sort of argued my point wrong, my main point was to the people who were scared of getting battered by them or saying how anything above evens was a price to load on Switzerland because they're obviously loads better than us. They're not. They're incredibly average.

They were never going to batter us, I thought they'd win narrowly but they were pretty poor tonight, didn't create much despite having more of the ball over the 90 than we did and were wasteful when they did get in, we actually put a bit of a performance in and caused them problems on the break although we also squandered a few good openings. It was a decent away performance and certainly more encouraging then any the performances in the summer, Hodgson got his tactics right. If you watch the pattern of play before we broke and scored they were actually all over us for about 5-10 minutes, we broke three on three and sucker punched them. Cahill has come to our rescue shortly after the goal went in, it could of easily ended differently.

Aside from ending our qualification campaign before it's even begun (it'd take a miracle for us not to be in France come 2016 now) It hasn't really changed a lot, I'd imagine we'll be fine unless we have to play anyone who's any good at which point we'll crumble. Still miles behind the best in Europe.

First time Welbeck has played as a centre forward for us for ages. This is what happens when people get played in their correct positions.

I was quite impressed with Delph. For some reason I think he actually wanted to get booked, to show the Swiss that even though he's on his debut he's up for the battle.

Defended well throughout (as a unit), a few sloppy passes here and there but we controlled 80% of the game. Baffling now the Swiss are 9th in the world. That's our hardest qualifying game out of the way and we've got 3 points. We've got a few games that will be formalities, San Marino, Estonia.

We shouldn't be finishing anywhere other than top of this group.

Henderson was very effecient tonight and although Rooney and Sterlings touch were poor for the majority I think along with Welbeck they worked well together.

0-2

MC Prussian

Your boys took a hell of a beating :D

Not really. The more clever side won. Deserved it wasn't. We were on par with the guests for most part, and then...

... two silly mistakes in the middle and in the back paved the way for a rather easy England win. Djourou has been a liablity for years. Wish we'd finally replace him with Schär for good.

I'm also disappointed in our captain tonight. Totally unlike him to commit such a criminal error in midfield to allow a swift counterattack.

Then again, this team has played their first competitive match under a new manager. 4-3-3 will take some time to get used to, but the ingredients are all there.

They better come up with a better recipe in Slovenia for our next match. :D

Has that idiot really said England didn't deserve to win? lol 

Switzerland are absolutely terrible, I was worried about the state of our national side after watching them I feel a little bit better, for a side ranked 9th in the world to play that poorly is ridiculous. Prussian don't troll, England were better tonight in absolutely every single area, simple. 

Henderson was so much better second half, didn't think he was at the races first half. Wilshire wasn't great, completely new territory for him tonight though being that deep and trying to dictate the tempo of the game, keep him there now for the remainder and watch him grow into the position. Delph, reckless first 15 minutes but then grew into the game, his energy is exactly what you need when you play the diamond. Sterling was Sterling, the bright spark who seemed to be dangerous whenever he got the ball. 

Defensively I thought we were ok, with Wilshire still new to the role there was a few gaps between the midfield and the defence and sometimes we were exposed. Stones did really well, Cahill was a rock (that block :D), Jones was the weaker one and Baines didn't really do a lot, did well going forward though. Hart was solid! 

Rooney for me has no place in the England side, clearly the diamond is the formation that benefits England, to play the diamond you need two strikers and Rooney still comes to deep looking for the ball. Clogs the game and space up and is coming into areas where others are playing. People won't agree but a front two of Sturridge and Welbeck would be so much more beneficial. 

If only we had played this system in the World Cup liked I begged Hodgson would do, Gerrard would of excelled in the diamond and so would have Sterling. Remember quite a few of you lot on here telling me it wouldn't work, yet it's the same few people in this thread tonight telling me its the best England performance in a while. lol

Funny as well how I have always said Switzerland are shit and again I have been proving right. :D

Archived