Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Arriba Los Zorros

Better achievement - winning Championship or top ten PL finish?

As above... thoughts please. I personally think achieving the consistency week on week needed to win a tough like like FLC is the greater achievement.

Im sorry but this is ridiculous. Finishing in the top 10 in the Premiership is CLEARLY a better achievement.

Top ten. This isn't the same as comparing survival to the FA Cup - but both of these are league finishes and one is simply higher than the other.

Not that you actually get anything for finishing in the top ten.

Still irritates me to this day that we were robbed of a promotion day.

Much, much gold is what you get.

But you are right, nothing "tangible", which is why winning the FA cup for example to me is so sought after.

Top ten. This isn't the same as comparing survival to the FA Cup - but both of these are league finishes and one is simply higher than the other.

Not that you actually get anything for finishing in the top ten.

Still irritates me to this day that we were robbed of a promotion day.

A minimum of £5.5m is not to be sniffed at for a top ten PL finish.

Winning the Championship for me.

I've seen us finish in the Prem top 10 four times.

I've seen us win the second tier once.

The fact is, you can have a pretty unspectacular season and finish in the top 10 of the Prem.

The unspectacular season is a better season than winning the championship in its quality though.

I think people fall into this trap when dicussing opponents as potentially "weaker" opponents. If you take a side who have played 3, 4, 5 seasons in the Premiership and have achieved comfortable finishes in those seasons, they are a significantly better team than any team leading the championship.

None of them are really defining achievements, we've had more top 10, top league finishes in our history than 2nd tier titles though.  

I guess it's a bit like saying would you like to win the Europa League or reach the round of 16 in the Champions League?

Would I rather be given a blowjob or a pat on the head?

I thought a pat on the 'head' was a blowjob.

Thread question, see where the guy is coming from..He wont get the same feeling by consistently finishing in the top 10 of the PL, has 2-3 promotions or lower league titles.Adrenilin rush totally different.......but staying in the PL over 5 or even 15-20yrs is/would be an achievement within itself.With or without a cup run.

playing against Wolves, Forest, Derby, Newcastle, or even Watford in the PL, is far better than playing against them in the Champoinship for a top 5.In the PL , local Derbys have more bite.Then twice a season, Manu, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, and yes Everton or Southampton, different Planet.I am an older fan, if city could stay in the PL for my lifetime, fantastic, the dreams and hopes are in touching distance, anywhere else quality dreams and ambitions are way off in the mists of time.

These comparison threads are so ridiculous, Avoid relegation or FA cup? Top ten in Prem or winning championship?

What team has the best chance of winning the FA cup a side in the Premiership or a side in the Championship? 

What do you want the club to achieve? be the ultimate yo-yo club or build on its performance each year build a better squad a try to achieve something in the Prem

Why don't you just concentrate on the next game instead of making up stupid fantasy comparisons about trading one thing off for another

None of them are really defining achievements, we've had more top 10, top league finishes in our history than 2nd tier titles though.  

I guess it's a bit like saying would you like to win the Europa League or reach the round of 16 in the Champions League?

Sort of but funnily enough in that case I'd go with the Europa League so it can't be.

These comparison threads are so ridiculous, Avoid relegation or FA cup? Top ten in Prem or winning championship?

What team has the best chance of winning the FA cup a side in the Premiership or a side in the Championship? 

What do you want the club to achieve? be the ultimate yo-yo club or build on its performance each year build a better squad a try to achieve something in the Prem

Why don't you just concentrate on the next game instead of making up stupid fantasy comparisons about trading one thing off for another

People are bored, there isn't enough football in the premiership, we have been used to 2 games a week and the distraction of live premier league games, now we only have one game a week, no League Cup run, and every live prem game is tainted by the impact it has on us.

So people try and distract themselves from our poor run of results by just talking nonsense, anything to fill the silences between the negative knee jerk Nellies, and the sickeningly optimistic delusional types.

Just join in and appreciate the distraction.

I said that a top ten finish was a greater achievement but I'm very confident I wouldn't enjoy it as much as winning the Championship. Winning something will almost always feel more rewarding.

Why does every post with a 'what's better' or 'what's worse' scenario not have a poll?

I agree, polls are so underrated on this forum. One of the most useful tools we have for judging opinion.

Why is it a better achievement would we have anything to show for a top ten finish the answer is no

Because to finish 10th or above in the Premiership would mean you were in the top 10 teams in England, i dont see how its a contest?

Youd have "something to show" for winning the Johnstone's Paint Trophy but its not as big an achievement as finishing half way up the Premiership. Or the championship for that matter.

As has already been said, you can finish in the top ten losing more games than you win, that isn't much of an achievement to me.

Winning the Championship takes consistency and is never won by a fluke. It's usually won by years of team building. Plenty of teams have thrown money at it and not even achieved promotion let alone the title. We've been in it often enough to know how difficult just being promoted is. Maybe the manner of how we won it has made people think it's easy to do.

One possibly flukey season in the Prem is not a better achievement, four successive top tens like O'Neill, now that's an achievement.

If you replaced top ten finish with top six and Europa League qualification, then I'll gladly give you that as more of an achievement.

As has already been said, you can finish in the top ten losing more games than you win, that isn't much of an achievement to me.

Winning the Championship takes consistency and is never won by a fluke. It's usually won by years of team building. Plenty of teams have thrown money at it and not even achieved promotion let alone the title. We've been in it often enough to know how difficult just being promoted is. Maybe the manner of how we won it has made people think it's easy to do.

One possibly flukey season in the Prem is not a better achievement, four successive top tens like O'Neill, now that's an achievement.

If you replaced top ten finish with top six and Europa League qualification, then I'll gladly give you that as more of an achievement.

Would you not to say though, that to go from championship winner, to 10th in the Premiership, you would have had to improve? Its highly unlikely you could finish 10th in the Premiership with exactly the same team, and playing exactly the same way? so by definition youve had to improve and therefore its tougher surely?

Archived