Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content
demon_dog

A wasted season?

Recommended Posts

Posted

I feel that the club has completely wasted a golden opportunity to establish themselves in the Premier league this season. As such I like many others feel very disappointed with our progress in this league.

 

Taking into account the fact that the owners, who are very successful businessmen, seem to be allowing our team to slide back into the Championship with barely a wimper.

 

We all know that in the summer we should have strengthened our squad by at least 4 or more experienced players. what did we do? We spent approaching 9 million on Ulloa who is a good striker, but inexperienced in the premiership. Other than that who else did we spend money on of note?

I don't know who is to blame for this lack of signings, whether it be the owners for not putting up the cash, the director of football not being very good or Pearson underestimating the strength of the Premiership.

 

Then we have to look at our results, yes we were all singing the praises of the team early on in the season with good results against Everton, giving Chelsea a tough time, taking points off Stoke and Liverpool, teaching Man U how the game should be played.

What has happened since those days though is alarming.

The team have slid to the bottom and despite some good displays and yes I will say some rather unlucky ones, thanks to poor refereeing and also some downright badluck. We have remained there with I now feel little chance of getting out of the bottom three.

 

Some will say the players are to blame, some the manager.

Nevertheless we are where we are and the situation does not seem like changing.

 

It looks as if Kramaric and Huth are both good additions to the squad, but is this too little to late?

 

One has to start asking the question is it time for a change of manager.

His win ration is far worse than any of our other Premiership managers, that includes Peter useless Taylor

(Without doubt the worst city manager EVER).

I said before the Palace game that it was a must win for us. Win and I felt we would stay up, lose and we would go down.

I still believe that to be the case.

Having seen our abject display against a poor Villa side in the cup, I have no doubt that we are as a team losing our way.

 

On a personal note I would probably resign myself to the fact that we will be relegated, I would change the manager and give a new one a chance to build a squad in the summer for another assault on the Championship.

( Don't ask me who, I have no idea!)

 

I believe that our owners are the best Leicester City have ever had.

They just require someone with a bit of footballing nous to help them out.

It just seems a shame that after 10 years of us trying to make the big time we have blown our best chance to make our mark.

After 40 + years of following the City I feel that this season has been wasted.

 

There, rant over.

 

Posted

You say get a new manager for the championship but what would be the point in that! stick with Nige he knows the league and still has the squad IMO, look at others who have gone down, fulham-magath cardiff-ole managers with no experience of the championship and look where they are now, if we were gonna change manager i would rather do it now and have a chance of staying up but still! PearsonIn

Posted

I think a large part of our problem is that the players we wanted to bring in just weren't attainable, hence we settled for Ulloa (been a pretty decent signing really) and the likes of Simpson and Powell who just aren't/weren't good enough. What this season has shown is some pretty serious flaws in Nigel Pearson as a manager, ones that we seen regularly 3 or 4 years ago but we thought he'd overcome

Posted

Lack of investment in the summer is an obvious point

 

But the owners need a return on their initial investments into the club, the near £40m purchase price, ongoing investment in presumably exorbitant running costs, something they added to greatly with Sven, the stadium purchase, and then the conversion of all this debt into equity

 

It's no surprise we didn't spend £50m, making it obvious we didn't even land our middle quality targets when it mattered

 

Of course, our playing squad earned a great sense of loyalty too with their record heroics last season, it hugely surprising to most that we've come up this short.

Posted

Seasons wasted if we keep NP and we go down

 

change him now for me. give us some chance of staying up, going down is going to set us back loads. its all well and good saying NP is the best to bounce us straight back but if he does then what, struggle again and be a yo yo.  Just look at who were going to be left with should we go down. 

 

gk. kasper will probally get offers and go, ben would and should be pissed off and wouldnt be 1st choice or here, ms will be another year older.. so 2 keeprs needed to start

 

defence, huth will go, upson too od, konch needs to go. was again will probally be pissed over the way hes been used, leaves us 2 rbs, morgan and moore. 

 

mid cambiasso will go, cant see dd staying, james may get another club after him, mahrez deffo will go allbrighton wouldnt stay or even knock after this season. leaving us king hammond jeff.

 

strikers, kram will go, ulloa nugent and vardy.  

 

too much change going to happen to guarantee instant return. 

Guest Col city fan
Posted

This forum has turned into Groundhog Day...a new thread everyday, but the same topic.....

This...

It's getting dead boring..You're right. Same subject but from a different slant each time.

There's no point anyway. Win the next game and the masses once more will be expressing their undying love for Sir Nige. Tears of joy will again be shed.

If we stay up...God knows what people will be like. There will be so much 'I told you so' you could pop it into jars and sell it.

:thumbup:

Posted

Seasons wasted if we keep NP and we go down

change him now for me. give us some chance of staying up, going down is going to set us back loads. its all well and good saying NP is the best to bounce us straight back but if he does then what, struggle again and be a yo yo. Just look at who were going to be left with should we go down.

gk. kasper will probally get offers and go, ben would and should be pissed off and wouldnt be 1st choice or here, ms will be another year older.. so 2 keeprs needed to start

defence, huth will go, upson too od, konch needs to go. was again will probally be pissed over the way hes been used, leaves us 2 rbs, morgan and moore.

mid cambiasso will go, cant see dd staying, james may get another club after him, mahrez deffo will go allbrighton wouldnt stay or even knock after this season. leaving us king hammond jeff.

strikers, kram will go, ulloa nugent and vardy.

too much change going to happen to guarantee instant return.

Why will all these players leave, they're under contract

Offers for Mahrez may be irresistible, but the rest? They're ours, except for Cambiasso where we may end up stuck with him if he opts to take the second year with us

Schmeichel? lol

Posted

Seasons wasted if we keep NP and we go down

change him now for me. give us some chance of staying up, going down is going to set us back loads. its all well and good saying NP is the best to bounce us straight back but if he does then what, struggle again and be a yo yo. Just look at who were going to be left with should we go down.

gk. kasper will probally get offers and go, ben would and should be pissed off and wouldnt be 1st choice or here, ms will be another year older.. so 2 keeprs needed to start

defence, huth will go, upson too od, konch needs to go. was again will probally be pissed over the way hes been used, leaves us 2 rbs, morgan and moore.

mid cambiasso will go, cant see dd staying, james may get another club after him, mahrez deffo will go allbrighton wouldnt stay or even knock after this season. leaving us king hammond jeff.

strikers, kram will go, ulloa nugent and vardy.

too much change going to happen to guarantee instant return.

And who's going to sign all these players? And which clubs are going to match the Premier League wages they're all on? Because - maybe Mahrez And Kramaric aside - who in the PL is going to want them? We don't need to sell, so we're not just going to flog off the majority of our squad and leave ourselves up shit creek. You talk like they can just tear up their contracts and **** off.

Posted

even worse then if you say were going to be stuck with a load of players that are another year older in a more physical league.

 

 

huth is only loan so will go, upson and konch will need replacing ( or do we want to play another season with them both a year older ?? ) 

 

 

will cambiasso still cut it next year??

 

 

if offers come in then why would we hold on to players like, albrighton, knocky, danny etc 

Posted

This...

It's getting dead boring..You're right. Same subject but from a different slant each time.

There's no point anyway. Win the next game and the masses once more will be expressing their undying love for Sir Nige. Tears of joy will again be shed.

If we stay up...God knows what people will be like. There will be so much 'I told you so' you could pop it into jars and sell it.

:thumbup:

And why not? It would be a great achievement if we stayed up and a real kick in the teeth for you and the countless other doom mongers on here who seem to be reveling in Pearson's demise. You make out it's the Pearson supporters who are reactionary when it's far more so the vitriolic masses who have had it for the manager for a large part of the season now. 

 

At least if and when we go down, you can give yourself a pat on the back for being right and have a good laugh about it with your 'mates down the pub'. 

 

:thumbup:

Guest Col city fan
Posted

And why not? It would be a great achievement if we stayed up and a real kick in the teeth for you and the countless other doom mongers on here who seem to be reveling in Pearson's demise. You make out it's the Pearson supporters who are reactionary when it's far more so the vitriolic masses who have had it for the manager for a large part of the season now.

At least if and when we go down, you can give yourself a pat on the back for being right and have a good laugh about it with your 'mates down the pub'.

:thumbup:

Don't you read Chap?

I've said we'll finish 17th.

Have done, consistently.

So no, if we go down, neither will I be happy or 'right'.

And why pull me up for mentioning chats about football I have with my drinking buddies? Seems a bit petty mate?

Posted

if we go down whos likely to be our team to A) get us up B) keep us up ??

 

i.e Morgan for championship but need replacing if we go up??

Posted

Don't you read Chap?

I've said we'll finish 17th.

Have done, consistently.

So no, if we go down, neither will I be happy or 'right'.

And why pull me up for mentioning chats about football I have with my drinking buddies? Seems a bit petty mate?

It was this comment that riled me : There's no point anyway. Win the next game and the masses once more will be expressing their undying love for Sir Nige. Tears of joy will again be shed.

If we stay up...God knows what people will be like. There will be so much 'I told you so' you could pop it into jars and sell it. Unnecessary and surely you too should be delighted if we win the next game? If we did, I for one and I would imagine 99% of the so called 'Pearsonites' (urgh) would be pleased but in no way would think that we have turned a corner and are nailed on for staying up etc. You just come across as extremely condescending and it's irritating. Unfortunately, this section of the forum seems to completely 'black and white' at the moment. Guess what? I like Pearson and have huge respect for what he has done for the club but I also can see his failings and get frustrated with his actions at times. 

 

It is looking likely that we will get relegated but it's certainly not a given and I will continue to hope, and support the manager and team in the belief that we could still avoid the drop.

Posted

It depends on how fast you want "success" to happen at this level and for this club.

 

I agree the season so far has been somewhat underwhelming (of course, others will use more drastic terms), but overall, I think we've held up pretty well and the amount of narrow defeats as part of our results do tell me that we're not that far off from competing properly.

 

I don't regard this season as "wasted" because

a) it's not over yet, so we might still be able to secure safety and finish in 17th spot (or slightly above)

b) all parties involved - be it players, the manager, the management team, the owners, the fans, the media - will have learnt a valuable lesson, regardless of our finishing position comes May.

 

Some might say I'm clinging on to something here - but I genuinely believe for the first time in years, if not decades, we're looking at a solid foundation to build upon, even in the case of relegation back to the Championship. Naturally, who doesn't want to be in the Premier League? But like I've said many a times, we've got to earn our right to compete at this level.

If it means having to endure a stint back one level down for us to regain our senses, so be it.

 

Pearson and his allies at the club have endured similarly tough spells in the Championship, when results just wouldn't go our way. They learnt and they adapted. And in the end, it did pay off. Although patience and understanding from a fans' perspective was required.

You may argue and are desperate to see this club in the Premier League - but let me ask you: Would a season in the lower tier really do us no good?

And how realistic do you see our chances of another, immediate promotion?

Bearing in mind how competitive the Championship is, would you actually see us struggle or not?

I have faith in the current setup and think we could do it if required. Stranger things have happened in football.

Guest Col city fan
Posted

It was this comment that riled me : There's no point anyway. Win the next game and the masses once more will be expressing their undying love for Sir Nige. Tears of joy will again be shed.

If we stay up...God knows what people will be like. There will be so much 'I told you so' you could pop it into jars and sell it. Unnecessary and surely you too should be delighted if we win the next game? If we did, I for one and I would imagine 99% of the so called 'Pearsonites' (urgh) would be pleased but in no way would think that we have turned a corner and are nailed on for staying up etc. You just come across as extremely condescending and it's irritating. Unfortunately, this section of the forum seems to completely 'black and white' at the moment. Guess what? I like Pearson and have huge respect for what he has done for the club but I also can see his failings and get frustrated with his actions at times.

It is looking likely that we will get relegated but it's certainly not a given and I will continue to hope, and support the manager and team in the belief that we could still avoid the drop.

Yes and I genuinely believe this will happen. This black or white view you mentioned is essentially what I'm talking about. If anything is irritating, it's that. It's literally hard to believe and not the first time I've mentioned it, how the pendulum has swung yet again after just two losses since the night of 'Pearsongate'. It's about time people made their minds up. Either you are with Pearson, for the season, or you aren't. Either you believe we'll stay up, or you don't. And stick with it.

I'm accused of fence sitting. This is a joke. I've said we'll finish 17th. And stick with it.

Posted

I can't quite see it, I'm always quite optimistic but I fear there is no other outcome than relegation, but.... If we were to finish 17th, is that a successful season?

Guest Col city fan
Posted

I can't quite see it, I'm always quite optimistic but I fear there is no other outcome than relegation, but.... If we were to finish 17th, is that a successful season?

Absolutely...

It's based upon where we are NOW cos that's all we have to go on.

IMO, if we now end 17th, that would be a major success in my eyes.

Guest Mickyblueeyes
Posted

Wasted season? Depends on what we in the summer.

If we go down and keep the players we want to keep, then no. We forget we do have good young players. Drinkwater, James Moore Etc will have all learnt from this season. They will be better players for it.

If we stay up....well then definitely not!

Posted

I can't quite see it, I'm always quite optimistic but I fear there is no other outcome than relegation, but.... If we were to finish 17th, is that a successful season?

 

IMO staying up and having the chance to improve next year will make this year a successful season

Posted

Yes and I genuinely believe this will happen. This black or white view you mentioned is essentially what I'm talking about. If anything is irritating, it's that. It's literally hard to believe and not the first time I've mentioned it, how the pendulum has swung yet again after just two losses since the night of 'Pearsongate'. It's about time people made their minds up. Either you are with Pearson, for the season, or you aren't. Either you believe we'll stay up, or you don't. And stick with it.

I'm accused of fence sitting. This is a joke. I've said we'll finish 17th. And stick with it.

Well i'm still with Pearson, even if we go down. I firmly believe he will have learnt a lot from this season and if he can take us straight back up then we will fare much better next time around. Of course, it's all ifs and buts at the moment but I think the club needs stability after so many years of upheaval.

 

Having said that, if he is in charge next season (in the Championship) and we don't make an immediate return I feel his time will be up and rightly so I guess.  The owners have backed him but he is of course under pressure to deliver. My gut feeling is that he won't be in charge next season, it is a worry who may take over if and when he is dismissed because it seems to me to be slim pickings out there at the moment for a quality replacement.

Guest Col city fan
Posted

Well i'm still with Pearson, even if we go down. I firmly believe he will have learnt a lot from this season and if he can take us straight back up then we will fare much better next time around. Of course, it's all ifs and buts at the moment but I think the club needs stability after so many years of upheaval.

Having said that, if he is in charge next season (in the Championship) and we don't make an immediate return I feel his time will be up and rightly so I guess. The owners have backed him but he is of course under pressure to deliver. My gut feeling is that he won't be in charge next season, it is a worry who may take over if and when he is dismissed because it seems to me to be slim pickings out there at the moment for a quality replacement.

Fair play...

:thumbup:

At least you've told us exactly what you think mate.

Posted

On a personal note I would probably resign myself to the fact that we will be relegated, I would change the manager and give a new one a chance to build a squad in the summer for another assault on the Championship.

( Don't ask me who, I have no idea!)

 

Without drawing on the past too much.. How well has this 'build a squad in the summer for another assault' worked in the past? Literally the only times we've managed to do this have been building on what we have in place, with the same guy in charge. The recent exception being Mickey Adams taking over from Basset-Taylor's transition, and the last time a man who took us up, and then took us down, then attempted to get back up again was Adams' aging Leicester squad before resigning. 

 

I think sacking the manager is the wrong thing to do, and if you think yourself that we're relegated already, then you have to look at us a Championship club on 0 points along with 23 other teams. Letting go of the manager who brought in what? 80% of the current crop of players, leaves many susceptible to leaving in the summer. Doesn't mean they will, and it doesn't mean a new manager won't instantly promote us either, I just think looking at the past model, and current model for club success, we have the right man already.

 

 

IMO, this will be different to when we were relegated in 2002, or in 2004. The clubs infrastructure is currently vastly superior to the competition in the Championship right now, and the main bulk of our squad isn't aging or deteriorating, but progressing year on year heading for their peak. Players like Matty James, Danny Drinkwater, Jeffrey Schlupp, Liam Moore, and if possible Riyad Mahrez need to stay, because these are the ones that played such a huge role in promoting us in the first place, and are our future. Nigel Pearson's just a vessel, one man who can be blamed for some poor decisions in a results business. Looking at his previous Championship form / results should play a huge part in the boards decision whether to stick with him. IF we do go down, we have a great bunch of players, most of which are improving year on year (and a season in the Prem should've developed them even more ahead of next season) and with the right motivator, and correct investment - we could potentially have our strongest ever Championship squad and challenge yet again in the Prem the following year.

 

All hypothetical, I still believe we'll knick some points off the big boys and win out relegation battle games ending with 3 points over QPR on the final day, but if we don't, I don't think it will be the end of a period for Leicester. If the owners are getting advice from the board, and I was a board member, I would be saying to stick with Pearson, at least till October / November time 2015 and if we're not in the top 3/4 teams, then the change might have to come if one presents itself. To summarise, this squad is developing and still will even if we go down, we won't lose too many key players, if any - and they are replaceable in some ways.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...