Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
shailen

Will our luck begin to change?

I agree...we haven't had the best luck since being in the league but there are plenty of other teams that have had similar luck.  WBA should have had a stone wall penalty last week (Dawson get completely taken out) and then they had the wrong man sent off yesterday!  Burnley should have had a penalty yesterday and have had plenty of penalty shouts over the past few weeks.  QPR also.

The bottom line is, if you create chances and score them and keep it tight at the back then you will win more football matches than you'll lose, then there is no need to rely on luck.  There is NO WAY you should be going to White Hart lane, scoring 3 goals and losing.  We have played reasonably well in most games, but are at the bottom for 2 reasons.

1.  Not creating and scoring enough goals at home.

2.  Not being tight enough at the back.

It's not rocket science.  Whether this is down to bad tactics/management is out for debate but luck only plays a minor part. 

Not just us, QPR had at least 2 clear cut penalties missed in their recent loss to yes you've guessed it ****ing spurs.

Burnley had a clear penalty missed against Swansea recently (1-0 loss) and today against Southampton.

And as I said in response to a post further up, Burnley benefited from a succession of howlers at Stamford Bridge just a month ago.

QPR have had some outrageous decisions go in their favour at Loftus Road this season too - the Green handball about 5 yards outside his area against Swansea being the most obvious.

It's not just us getting bad calls. It is just us where the bad calls are all going one way

The older I get the more I think the luck thing is rubbish. most sports fans use it as comfort for losing. I watched all the game on stream, and whilst I was proud of our effort ,and some of our quick passing, overall Spurs missed a few sitters as well, had the majority of possession, their players were lazy at 2-0, but woke up at 2-2. A draw would have been fair.

The older I get the more I think the luck thing is rubbish. most sports fans use it as comfort for losing. I watched all the game on stream, and whilst I was proud of our effort ,and some of our quick passing, overall Spurs missed a few sitters as well, had the majority of possession, their players were lazy at 2-0, but woke up at 2-2. A draw would have been fair.

I agree, at 2-0 they took it easy, which I'm glad as we were in for a good hiding, but once that mentality of relaxed play, and game over mentality kicks in, it's hard to get going again, when we scored.

Spurs had the better chances, possession, and was a far better team, don't know why people are bringing luck into it.

We cannot switch off and concede two goals that early and expect a result, from what's being said its not a bad decision the penalty, just a bit soft.

We played a better side and credit our players for never giving up.

You have got to be joking.

We weren't unlucky in any of those games which i watched. (Five of them) burnley, QPR, villa away and Everton we put ourselves in a position to win but threw it away completely. Arsenal a draw was fair.

Yes we had decisions go against us at Liverpool and man city, but that's par for the course away at big clubs. Its 2 games.

You seem to be blind to the luck we get. Everton - Tim Howard flaps twice to give us two goals and Lukaku misses a hat-trick of sitters. Then we concede a late equaliser whilst choosing to have three strikers on the pitch.

Burnley - pearson subs Hammond then brings on Knockaert with us hanging on. So how on Earth were we unlucky???

My comment was made in reference to someone who said we were lucky to get wins at Stoke and Hull by our performance. So I made the point that by our performances surely we should have got more out of these games as well. I'm not bemoaning that we were unlucky from a referees decision, but that we outplayed most of the teams yet came away with very little. 

And as I said in response to a post further up, Burnley benefited from a succession of howlers at Stamford Bridge just a month ago.

QPR have had some outrageous decisions go in their favour at Loftus Road this season too - the Green handball about 5 yards outside his area against Swansea being the most obvious.

It's not just us getting bad calls. It is just us where the bad calls are all going one way

Spot on - QPR have gotten away with things like the green handball and in the same game Routledge being sent off for swansea for being fouled. Burnley got a series of daft decisions at stamford bridge and got a point at man city from an obviously offside goal. What have we got? a slightly dubious penalty against Man Utd? Meanwhile I can think of 5 games off the top of my head where obvious decisions have been made wrong: Sunderland at home where Mahrez was clearly hacked down in the box and o'shea clearly handled it in the box, Tottenham at home where Vertoghen did the same to vardy, Liverpool and Morgans face, the two obvious penalties at man city, yesterday... The depressing part is those obviously wrong decisions have potentially lost us 7 points (assuming we'd convert those penalties), which would see us outside the relegation zone.

Liverpool away is the only game I've come out of thinking we were unlucky.

Ok maybe yesterday's pen was harsh but they missed some sitters and hit the post etc, etcetera.

Bad decisions happen and you could go on every fan forum in the country and they'd be able to list numerous decisions that have gone against them

Liverpool away is the only game I've come out of thinking we were unlucky.

Ok maybe yesterday's pen was harsh but they missed some sitters and hit the post etc, etcetera.

Bad decisions happen and you could go on every fan forum in the country and they'd be able to list numerous decisions that have gone against them

I do agree with this, and in general fans will exaggerate decisions that were and weren't. But I genuinely feel without any bias that we haven't had the rub of green in matches this season. Yesterday was not the worst decision against us, I think it was more 50:50. Obviously given the moment in the game and the momentum we had, it has been exemplified largely, but it was still another example where we haven't had the luck. I've seen more clearer penalties that we haven't had, and a lot of teams have got away with worse tackles. 

I'm not trying to say there is a campaign against us, it's just that when you're in the position we are in, you can't have decisions going against you as well. It's hard enough to win at this level and we should at least have some consistency in the refereeing at least, to give us the best chance of winning.

Hallelujah!

Difficult to recall a single refereeing decision helping us gain points this season (apart from the debatable Man Utd penalty)

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing to do with luck.

Why we won that game yesterday was because Pearson changed the formation and took off Ulloa/James.

Good management. We could all see it.

Pulis got it wrong yesterday too. If Idaye wasn't injured, he took him off at exactly the wrong time. He was their striker who could hold it up. Without him, the ball kept coming back and we took a foothold.

If he WAS injured, fair enough.

Agree with Col.

If anything, we had a key decision go against us again but it's been forgotten amid all the euphoria.

The ball clearly went out in the build up to their second if you look at the stills from yesterday, and it could be argued they had a player offside too.

We certainly weren't lucky yesterday, it was good management, good tactics and sheer will to win from the boys on the pitch. It seems the difficult situation we have put ourselves in has helped us, as we're now playing with the kind of urgency and will to win we were playing with in the opening few games. It was those characteristics that earned us 8 points from Everton, Arsenal, Chelsea, Stoke and Manchester United. We could conceivably survive with another 8 points given how tough the run-ins are for teams around us, we're playing much less difficult opposition than we did at the start of the season and have two more games in which to get those points. 

Beat Swansea next time out, we stay up. In fact; if we win either of our next two games, I struggle to see us going down.

Agree with Col.

If anything, we had a key decision go against us again but it's been forgotten amid all the euphoria.

The ball clearly went out in the build up to their second if you look at the stills from yesterday, and it could be argued they had a player offside too.

We certainly weren't lucky yesterday, it was good management, good tactics and sheer will to win from the boys on the pitch. It seems the difficult situation we have put ourselves in has helped us, as we're now playing with the kind of urgency and will to win we were playing with in the opening few games. It was those characteristics that earned us 8 points from Everton, Arsenal, Chelsea, Stoke and Manchester United. We could conceivably survive with another 8 points given how tough the run-ins are for teams around us, we're playing much less difficult opposition than we did at the start of the season and have two more games in which to get those points. 

Beat Swansea next time out, we stay up. In fact; if we win either of our next two games, I struggle to see us going down.

Arguably 2 solid penalties turned down as well with the Judo throw on Huth in the first half and Schlupp having his standing leg swept just before the equaliser. We didn't really get anything from the referee again yesterday, but the tenacity and spirit shown in the second half meant that the shit decisions were purely a footnote (although if it comes down to goal difference they won't be) - but the point is that we didn't let the ref playing to the occasion get to us, and that's arguably the major thing that's been lacking this season: being able to grind out deserved results in spite of the referees: both spurs games for instance we more than matched them, soft penalty given in one, one not given in the other, but we let them get away with it, rather than having the confidence to turn our dominance into points. 

Agree with Col.

Excellent points otherwise, but got to reiterate that the Sunderland and QPR games are seriously massive, while Burnley have a fairly kind run-in in comparison to Hull and the Black Cats, so any result against them is a must. A point against the Swans would be great, because the season will be decided on those three games against our rivals - three six pointers. It's going to be one hell of a ride!

Still reckon WBA will struggle to get more than 1 point between now and the end of the season. If we win 3 more, they might well be screwed.

Excellent points otherwise, but got to reiterate that the Sunderland and QPR games are seriously massive, while Burnley have a fairly kind run-in in comparison to Hull and the Black Cats, so any result against them is a must. A point against the Swans would be great, because the season will be decided on those three games against our rivals - three six pointers. It's going to be one hell of a ride!

Still reckon WBA will struggle to get more than 1 point between now and the end of the season. If we win 3 more, they might well be screwed.

I said that because I think we'll get such a confidence boost, it'll carry us through to the end of the season. Pearson sides tend to ends seasons well, if you look at his time here you'll see that we often finish strongly at the end, the only exceptions being in 11-12 and 12-13, one of which he had only half a season.

08-09 (last five)

Hereford (A) W3-1

Leeds (H) W1-0

Southend (A) W2-0

Scunthorpe (H) D2-2

Crewe (A) W2-0

09-10

QPR (H) W4-0

Peterborough (A) W2-1

Watford (H) W4-1

PNE (A) W1-0

Boro (H) W2-0

13-14

Reading (A) D1-1

QPR (H) W1-0

Bolton (A) W1-0

Huddersfield (A) 2-0

Doncaster (H) W1-0

I said that because I think we'll get such a confidence boost, it'll carry us through to the end of the season. Pearson sides tend to ends seasons well, if you look at his time here you'll see that we often finish strongly at the end, the only exceptions being in 11-12 and 12-13, one of which he had only half a season.

08-09 (last five)

Hereford (A) W3-1

Leeds (H) W1-0

Southend (A) W2-0

Scunthorpe (H) D2-2

Crewe (A) W2-0

09-10

QPR (H) W4-0

Peterborough (A) W2-1

Watford (H) W4-1

PNE (A) W1-0

Boro (H) W2-0

13-14

Reading (A) D1-1

QPR (H) W1-0

Bolton (A) W1-0

Huddersfield (A) 2-0

Doncaster (H) W1-0

Even if you include 11/12 and 12/13 (W2D1L2 and W2D2L1 respectively), his average return for the final 5 games is 11.6 points - which at this point would almost certainly keep us up - not to mention he's 5 wins from 5 on the final day here.

• 1 month later...

Glad to see our luck did change especially in that West Ham game and since then we have looked incredible. We just needed that initial scrappy King goal and with confidence and momentum we have gone on an incredible run.

Thought we were very good against West Ham tbh. The 'lucky' game was Burnley.

I do agree that we were good against West Ham, but that goal from a scuffed shot from Vardy that could have gone anywhere fell to King at a vital time in the game. Had that not happened, which you could argue is the case in almost every game since United away, I do not envisage the run we have just been on happening. Confidence and momentum born out of a moment of luck you could argue. NOT SAYING we were lucky to win that game, but since that game all of our performances have merited 3 points. That West Ham game was always going to be scrappy, but since then we have looked a lot more assured and free flowing. The Soton/Swansea/Newcastle/Chelsea games we have looked exceptional.

Archived