Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stripeyfox

Lapland holidays with kids etc

So, the missus wants us to take the kids to Lapland this year (December). Sleigh rides, meeting Santa etc. The oldest child is 8 so this is probably getting close to the end of the Santa myth for him.

Had a quick browse around some sites last night but really don't know where to start! Anyone been on one of these holidays? Best to book a full package or do it separately? Anyone got a good tour operator to recommend? I honestly have no idea about the cost. I am guessing a 3 night break - I see you can go for one night but seems like a long way to travel with tired children!

Probably only going to do this once so want to try and get it right!

Any help much appreciated!

I can only half answer your post as I have been to Lapland, not with kids or to do anything to do with Santa but what I can say is I loved it. Went to Tromso in Norway and Jukkasjarvi in Sweden to the ice hotel, went on an overnight dog sled tour which was incredible, saw the Northern lights.

As far as booking as a package or separately, it will 100% be cheaper to book everything yourself. I probably saved a good £700 by doing it all myself.

Recommend santaclaustrips.co.uk we had a great time seeing santa, driving skidoos, reindeer sled rides and driving husky sleds. Me and the wife went on a day trip and the package included food on the plane and then food at the venue. Think we paid £950 for us both. We have lots of connections with scandinavia so was worth it for us.

You can do it cheaper by buying things seperately, but bare in mind transport when booking things. Getting from one place to another can be quite difficult, especially in the deep winter.

Good luck. Let us know what you go with. :)

Thanks for the answers.

If travelling alone I am usually happy to "make my own arrangements" but with wife and two kids in tow, maybe a package is best. It's trying to balance what I want or would choose from a break and what the kids would like. For example, the log cabin under the Northern Lights sounds great to me, but the kids would probably enjoy the hotel/pool/entertainment!

Will take a look at the company you recommended. This is going to cost a bloody fortune!

• 5 months later...

Well nearly time for our Lapland trip.

We fly out next Thursday morning from Birmingham for three nights in a hotel. Went for the package deal with Thomson in the end. Although I'm sure I could have saved money, the convenience factor, plus being able to take the kids into the shop swung it in the end. About £3000 all told although expecting to get fleeced for various exursions etc when we are there.

The 3K includes flights, transfers, half board at the hotel (bed, breakfast, evening meal), apartment room with kitchen area and sauna. Also included is a husky sleigh ride and the trip to see Santa .

Annoyingly, my eldest son has just about sussed out that Santa is not real although he's not quite ready to admit it yet (I think he's waiting to make sure he gets presents this year!)

Really hoping I get to see the Northern Lights as well!

35 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

£3000 for 3 nights????

No offence, but you must have more money than sense.

Hope you enjoy it.

I know, it is expensive, but it's a one off. We had a litter of puppies earlier this year and the money we made by selling them paid for the trip (mostly)

3 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

I know, it is expensive, but it's a one off. We had a litter of puppies earlier this year and the money we made by selling them paid for the trip (mostly)

Fair play, I wasn't trying to piss on your chips. 

When you've got kids that age, you've got to do it before they get too old.

Just now, tom27111 said:

Fair play, I wasn't trying to piss on your chips. 

When you've got kids that age, you've got to do it before they get too old.

I was against it to be honest, but the missus really wanted to take the boys. I still think it is very expensive for what it is, but hey ho, it's paid for now so may as well sit back and enjoy it!

You will have a great time who cares about the kids lol. On the Husky sled tour are you driving it or just siting on it? One of the best/scariest experience of my life was controlling a pack of huskys while

flying through Swedish lap land. Of course with 50 year old woman etc on the same trip I was the only one to get catapulted off my sled haha.

On 11/22/2016 at 06:19, stripeyfox said:

I was against it to be honest, but the missus really wanted to take the boys. I still think it is very expensive for what it is, but hey ho, it's paid for now so may as well sit back and enjoy it!

I can see your side totally... But they will only be this age once and it might be expensive, and you cant really put a price on happy memories....

On 6/1/2016 at 03:00, Costock_Fox said:

I can only half answer your post as I have been to Lapland, not with kids or to do anything to do with Santa but what I can say is I loved it. Went to Tromso in Norway and Jukkasjarvi in Sweden to the ice hotel, went on an overnight dog sled tour which was incredible, saw the Northern lights.

As far as booking as a package or separately, it will 100% be cheaper to book everything yourself. I probably saved a good £700 by doing it all myself.

I am extremely jealous of your visit to the ice hotel and the dog sled ride as it has been a long time dream of mine. However my wife has severe arthritis and is adamant she wont be able to cope with the trip/ Temperatures. For some reason it doesn't feel right trying to organise a lads trip to an ice hotel...

6 minutes ago, MPH said:

I am extremely jealous of your visit to the ice hotel and the dog sled ride as it has been a long time dream of mine. However my wife has severe arthritis and is adamant she wont be able to cope with the trip/ Temperatures. For some reason it doesn't feel right trying to organise a lads trip to an ice hotel...

Just leave her at home mate haha. It's not that cold, it was only -45 while I was on a snowmobile. Never experienced pain like it before I stopped and put ski goggles on and it's a right ordeal getting dressed for them conditions.

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

You will have a great time who cares about the kids lol. On the Husky sled tour are you driving it or just siting on it? One of the best/scariest experience of my life was controlling a pack of huskys while

flying through Swedish lap land. Of course with 50 year old woman etc on the same trip I was the only one to get catapulted off my sled haha.

I think we are just sitting on it, but if you want to pay extra you can get a longer ride in which you "drive" them!

The kids are very excited. Managed to find a "contact" at the hotel who has said she will try and ensure a decent (north facing) room for us.

I am expecting it to be very expensive, but I am used to travelling to Norway so I hopefully won't be too shocked by the prices. The Euro rate is not helping though!

9 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

I think we are just sitting on it, but if you want to pay extra you can get a longer ride in which you "drive" them!

The kids are very excited. Managed to find a "contact" at the hotel who has said she will try and ensure a decent (north facing) room for us.

I am expecting it to be very expensive, but I am used to travelling to Norway so I hopefully won't be too shocked by the prices. The Euro rate is not helping though!

I can't see it anywhere,  is it Finland you are going to?

On 22 November 2016 at 10:33, stripeyfox said:

Well nearly time for our Lapland trip.

We fly out next Thursday morning from Birmingham for three nights in a hotel. Went for the package deal with Thomson in the end. Although I'm sure I could have saved money, the convenience factor, plus being able to take the kids into the shop swung it in the end. About £3000 all told although expecting to get fleeced for various exursions etc when we are there.

The 3K includes flights, transfers, half board at the hotel (bed, breakfast, evening meal), apartment room with kitchen area and sauna. Also included is a husky sleigh ride and the trip to see Santa .

Annoyingly, my eldest son has just about sussed out that Santa is not real although he's not quite ready to admit it yet (I think he's waiting to make sure he gets presents this year!)

Really hoping I get to see the Northern Lights as well!

Santas not real ????? 

WTF Are you on about man , course he is 

God this place gets worse and worse for cranks 

Archived