Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BartonFox

A sign of how far we have fallen

Well that's that then, what a sorry arsed state of affairs it has been over the last few weeks. If ever evidence was needed that we are no longer a biggish club just look back to what has gone on since Levein was bulleted.

Turned down by such illustrious managers as Steve Cotterill, Billy Davies and Mike Newell all who had previous relationships with the Club at some stage in their careers. Kevin Blackwell and Martin Allen also gave us the bumsrush and Ian Holloway got himself suspended on full pay (although to be fair to him he's done well there).

Staying at Burnley, Preston North End, Luton or Brentford is preferable to joining Leicester City thesedays, if that hasn't got people alarmed then nothing will.

We've now been left with Rob Kelly who has won 3 out of 3 in the league, but he never really wanted the gig in the first place. Three weeks on, "sorry Rob we couldn't get anyone better would you carry on until the summer?" Nice.

You have got to hand it to Tim Davies and Jim McCahill haven't you? They really know what they are doing, all the additional investment Davies has brought to the table, the clear plan for the future after they decided to keep Levein, oh hang on sack Levein and then look blankly at one and other and say where to now?

While at present our on the field issues seem to be improving, although I am far from convinced we are safe yet, the off the field issues are growing bigger and bigger with each passing week. Should we survive we will be in a white elephant of a stadium with no prospect of attracting a decent manager or new significant investment. With this current administration we are in the fast lane to diddy Club status along with the likes of QPR, Forest, Oxford, Norwich and Ipswich all of whom dabbled in the top flight for a while before sinking like a stone tied to a concrete block.

Turned down by such illustrious managers as Steve Cotterill, Billy Davies and Mike Newell all who had previous relationships with the Club at some stage in their careers. Kevin Blackwell and Martin Allen also gave us the bumsrush and Ian Holloway got himself suspended on full pay (although to be fair to him he's done well there).

What are you talking about? We didn't even speak to Cotterill, Davies, Blackwell. It was never confirmed by anyone we spoke to Allen. We discounted Holloway as he obviously didn't impress. We MAY have offered Newell the job if he hadn't said he was staying at Luton, but the facts are we didn't.

We've now been left with Rob Kelly who has won 3 out of 3 in the league, but he never really wanted the gig in the first place. Three weeks on, "sorry Rob we couldn't get anyone better would you carry on until the summer?" Nice.

Sorry, but find one quote where he said he never wanted the job. He always just said he wasn't looking at that and was concentrating on the games. Yes he has won 3/3... who was the one slagging him off after 3 days in the job... oh yes YOU. Made you look a bit silly hasn't he?

Just like this post to be honest.

Well that's that then, what a sorry arsed state of affairs it has been over the last few weeks. If ever evidence was needed that we are no longer a biggish club just look back to what has gone on since Levein was bulleted.

Staying at Burnley, Preston North End, Luton or Brentford is preferable to joining Leicester City thesedays, if that hasn't got people alarmed then nothing will.

You have got to hand it to Tim Davies and Jim McCahill haven't you? They really know what they are doing, all the additional investment Davies has brought to the table, the clear plan for the future after they decided to keep Levein, oh hang on sack Levein and then look blankly at one and other and say where to now?

While at present our on the field issues seem to be improving, although I am far from convinced we are safe yet, the off the field issues are growing bigger and bigger with each passing week. Should we survive we will be in a white elephant of a stadium with no prospect of attracting a decent manager or new significant investment. With this current administration we are in the fast lane to diddy Club status along with the likes of QPR, Forest, Oxford, Norwich and Ipswich all of whom dabbled in the top flight for a while before sinking like a stone tied to a concrete block.

Whilst I agree with some of your points, we aren't a big club any longer and it's time fans realised it. Whether that's accepting second best or not i'm not too sure, but if i'm entirely honest I wouldn't have wanted to leave my job as Burnley, Leeds, Luton or Preston boss either.

We've been knocked down a peg or two reputation wise and quite rightly so. We're struggling in the lower reaches of a disgusting league and just because we were once a premiership club means **** all. YOu can blame Davies and McCahill all you like but without a decent wedge of cash we will always be in the same boat as Coventry, Derby, Forest, etc. The only reason we've managed to purches a few decent young players is because we still has parachute payments, next season will be different.

That's not Davies or McCahill's fault, we just haven't got any money thanks to previous tenants of the board and coaching staff. Appointing Rob Kelly might not be glamarous and it's a massive risk but i've always been brought up to award people things on merit and he's done everything we've asked of him so far in the past few weeks and as there aren't many takers for the job why shouldn't he be given it until the end of the season? It happened at Man City and Preston last season, both of whom were actively looking for a new manager whilst their caretaker manager was in charge, but rewarded them with the job for the rest f the season after some good results and you can't argue that their board had made a bad decision there can you?.

.....and you have this on good authority do you? That we offered the job to those you mention!

We didn't offer anyone the job... all the people we had talks with were at preliminary stages.

I knew it would happen. Everyone shouting 'Levein out'. Who to replace him then?, i said. Nobody really came up with any convincing names back then and its been proven now. We could have given Kelly the job weeks ago.

WTF... We have offered him the job because of what he has done. No one in their right mind would have given him the job 4 games ago!!

The job was never offered to anyone but Kelly (not even by inference in my opinion because a loose quote in that case would have been very damaging) and as far as I recall, Rob Kelly never once said or even implied that he didn't want the job.

He may well have thought his chances of getting it were llimited, especially early on and to have played his chances down but my feeling all along was that he was determined to try and help his own case in the best way possible which was on the pitch. Perfect tactics for a man in possession I would say.

It would have been foolish to offer kelly the job without giving him some games first, kelly knew the score and I am sure he isnt disrespected by not been offered the job from day 1.

The timing of craig's sacking played a big part in us been turned down, we offered the job to managers who are in promotion campaigns and the job offered was a club in a relegation scrap just exited from a transfer window with a goal of avoiding relegation without change of personnel. Not very attractive is it?

In the summer the same manager's especially davies if preston dont go up will be in the same standing of Leics played 0 points 0 so a fresh start and if they were to join they have the opportunity of bringing in their own players so the job will be much more attractive again.

I think the board has made numerous mistakes but they do appear to be learning which is a good sign.

It's sad but to be honest we are in a similar position as others in the champoinship, having a successful past and a nice stadium guarentees nothing. We have ot be realistic, there isn't alot of money in football(other then the prem), so it's either gonna take a 'sugar daddy\mummy' to inject funds or we have to be wise and spend carefully whether it's TD or anyone else!!

The job was never offered to anyone but Kelly (not even by inference in my opinion because a loose quote in that case would have been very damaging) and as far as I recall, Rob Kelly never once said or even implied that he didn't want the job.

He may well have thought his chances of getting it were llimited, especially early on and to have played his chances down but my feeling all along was that he was determined to try and help his own case in the best way possible which was on the pitch. Perfect tactics for a man in possession I would say.

Agree with that mate, the way we've done things has been spot on, we may have interviewed a couple of managers, but who wouldn't? At the end of the day we've kept it in house and good on em it's a bit of a gamble but one worth going trying :thumbup:

Most of this is to do with timing.

If you are a manager of a fairly successful club with a shout of the play-offs (i.e. Burnly or Luton) would you move clubs now to a relegation battle, with a closed transfer window, unable to bring in any players to play your style of football.

Come the summer, when we all start from zero points, I think you will see people like Allen and Cotterill casting an eye toward our direction.

Yes he has won 3/3... who was the one slagging him off after 3 days in the job... oh yes YOU. Made you look a bit silly hasn't he?

Just like this post to be honest.

Has he? we have muddled together 3 wins against distinctly shite opposition. But as it has been so long since we did that most of the numbskulls can't see the wood for the trees. He now has the job because our incompetent board and CEO couldn't attract Winnie the Pooh to a jar of honey.

YOu can blame Davies and McCahill all you like but without a decent wedge of cash we will always be in the same boat as Coventry, Derby, Forest, etc. The only reason we've managed to purches a few decent young players is because we still has parachute payments, next season will be different.

That's not Davies or McCahill's fault, we just haven't got any money thanks to previous tenants of the board and coaching staff.

Yes it is, what have either of these two done to bring extra investment in to the Club? Davies spends too much time fannying around the playing side of the Club instead of dealing with the vital issues of raising much needed funds.

.....and you have this on good authority do you? That we offered the job to those you mention!

As it happens I know exactly what has gone on.

Has he? we have muddled together 3 wins against distinctly shite opposition. But as it has been so long since we did that most of the numbskulls can't see the wood for the trees. He now has the job because our incompetent board and CEO couldn't attract Winnie the Pooh to a jar of honey.

Yes it is, what have either of these two done to bring extra investment in to the Club? Davies spends too much time fannying around the playing side of the Club instead of dealing with the vital issues of raising much needed funds.

Course you do!

Are you Mystic Meg in disguise?

.......and let's be honest no one has said RK is going to set the world alight, but they've given him the job until the end of the season and everybody should get behind him and the team!

We were only allowed to speak to 2 of the managers we were linked with. One of them was shit and the other looks like an uglier version of Jim Carey who incidently is very ugly anyway, so hows that the boards fault? Cotterill, Davies and Blackwell were all not allowed to talk to us, is that the boards fault? Unless i'm thick, I think not!

why would anyone want to leave a stable position to come to a side who are battling relegation in the Championship? It's hardly rocket science and in this day and age managers know they're not given much time to impose their reign on the club.

It's fairly logical really

Archived