Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BartonFox

A sign of how far we have fallen

I don't think he did imply illegal approaches be made. Just one legal approach at a time.

I think you should read it again!! Even Tim Davies emails to people on here suggested he said so. In fact so did his interview on LCFC world where he was quite damning of peoples suggestions about us.

I think you'll find that even Newell stated that he was never offered the job, he was interviewed and both parties decided that it wasn't right, whats wrong with that?

Nothing, but it is also irrelevant to the main charge.

I think you should read it again!! Even Tim Davies emails to people on here suggested he said so. In fact so did his interview on LCFC world where he was quite damning of peoples suggestions about us.

"If you need a manager, you do not ask Burnley for permission to speak to Steve Cotterill, then ask QPR if it's OK to speak to Ian Holloway and then go to Luton to see if you can speak to Mike Newell."

"You have a board meeting, you single out your preferred target and then you make your approach to the football club. or to the manager's agent. Of course, you have a plan B and even plan C in place in case the one you want doesn't come off, but you do not go and sound out all three clubs about talking to their managers."

I've read it again and I still can't see what all the fuss is about, unless the first paragraph is being taken out of context.

I have demonstrated elsewhere that the evidence IS there. I can only refer you to the official Luton and QPR websites and check the dates of statements made. Only members of the flat earth society and members of this forum continue to do impressions of ostriches over this subject.

Yes you did... again you should read back, you will see my email that follows directly after yours scuppers your theory of it PROVING we were approaching lots of managers just to interview them.

As I said in that post, the LUTON CHAIRMAN was quoted on their offical site as saying he had turned down Leicester City. I presume he was not lying, so maybe after he said no we called QPR and they said yes! Then Mike Newell goes to his chairman the next day that he wants to speak to us. The Chairman then grants his wish and hey presto we have two managers wanting to speak to us!!

Now that situation is not of our making! It is also as factually sound as your argument!!

What I also don't buy is people saying we were causing trouble at clubs and unsettling people. It was not us making the statement about peoples managers!! If the clubs were so concerned about people being unsettled, why come on on Sky News or your official website and say you have turned down an approach!! Any unrest with fans etc is of their making not ours!!

Unrest is also caused in the press, with them linking us to every bloody manager out there. I have seen reported several times that Allen turned us down after being offered the job!! Well I for one have not seen one statement from Leicester OR Brentford saying he had been interviewed. Or that we even asked for permission to speak to him! How are we to blame in any way for upset caused in Brentford??

"If you need a manager, you do not ask Burnley for permission to speak to Steve Cotterill, then ask QPR if it's OK to speak to Ian Holloway and then go to Luton to see if you can speak to Mike Newell."

"You have a board meeting, you single out your preferred target and then you make your approach to the football club. or to the manager's agent. Of course, you have a plan B and even plan C in place in case the one you want doesn't come off, but you do not go and sound out all three clubs about talking to their managers."

I've read it again and I still can't see what all the fuss is about, unless the first paragraph is being taken out of context.

"or to the manager's agent"

You do not make an approach to a managers agent!!!! That is an illegal approach!!!

*sigh* I will say it again, its the timing. If we sacked craig before the end of the 1st week of jan we would have been in a stronger position for luring manager's but we sacked him at a bad time right after the transfer window and after losing more games leaving less games to turn it around. No manager wants to be in that position in a new job. So come the summer there will be some dissapointed manager's out there who have missed out on promotion including davies who is on a rolling contract (if preston dont go up) and we wont be fighting relegation end of season and in a transfer window so then the situation will be completely different.

Just chill out people back kelly and the team for the rest of the season and lets see where we stand in the summer.

Simple question Barton

You obviously have a personal axe to grind with the current regime.

You have indicated some involvement in football

Does this by any chance now involve doing PR for the League Managers Association ?

Interesting isn't it - Barton has responded to 3 other posts since mine, but failed to answer me

Why don't you want to answer my simple question Barton ?

Been rumbled have we?

*sigh* I will say it again, its the timing. If we sacked craig before the end of the 1st week of jan we would have been in a stronger position for luring manager's but we sacked him at a bad time right after the transfer window and after losing more games leaving less games to turn it around. No manager wants to be in that position in a new job. So come the summer there will be some dissapointed manager's out there who have missed out on promotion including davies who is on a rolling contract (if preston dont go up) and we wont be fighting relegation end of season and in a transfer window so then the situation will be completely different.

Just chill out people back kelly and the team for the rest of the season and lets see where we stand in the summer.

^ Best post of the thread.

Everybody knows that the club has fallen on hard times, but they've also taken some steps to rebound over the past few weeks and this must also be emphasized. Under Levein, while the team had youth in its favor, the squad seemed to play without inspiration and impetus to attack.

Was the team performing below its capacity instead of perfoming like it was, a true 22nd-place squad? That's likely. But why would a manager risk some degree of stability at his current job to inherit a stumbling Leicester squad and risk having to change jobs twice in four months if they were to be relegated?

Theteam might still have their technical difficulties, but a simple change in attitude and a breath of fresh air has made the team better.

Critcs can knock on Kelly all they want, but his job is to get results--I'll gladly take 10 points in four games. They can continue to make derisory comments about the opposition he's faced, but it wasn't too long ago that winning at home to Crewe and Millwall and getting a point at Sheffield Wednesday were asking a bit too much from the club. Four games ago, the team was two points adrift and we were all unsure from where the next win would come--now they've got the drop zone in the rear-view mirror.

All of a sudden, Leicester City's squad, albeit still with a long way to go, has a great upside (pardon my Americanism). At the end of the season, with the Championship status secured, the club will look like a much more attractive prospect for any interested manager than it was in January (or maybe even October of 2004). Rob Kelly might only stay at manager through the end of April, and could be remembered as the man who saved the club from a downward spiral, but his good performance could mean that his lasting legacy will be that he paved the way for a good manager to take over in the offseason and turn around the club's fortunes.

Turned down by such illustrious managers as Steve Cotterill, Billy Davies and Mike Newell all who had previous relationships with the Club at some stage in their careers. Kevin Blackwell and Martin Allen also gave us the bumsrush and Ian Holloway got himself suspended on full pay (although to be fair to him he's done well there).

Staying at Burnley, Preston North End, Luton or Brentford is preferable to joining Leicester City thesedays, if that hasn't got people alarmed then nothing will.

We've now been left with Rob Kelly who has won 3 out of 3 in the league, but he never really wanted the gig in the first place. Three weeks on, "sorry Rob we couldn't get anyone better would you carry on until the summer?" Nice.

You have got to hand it to Tim Davies and Jim McCahill haven't you? They really know what they are doing, all the additional investment Davies has brought to the table, the clear plan for the future after they decided to keep Levein, oh hang on sack Levein and then look blankly at one and other and say where to now?

While at present our on the field issues seem to be improving, although I am far from convinced we are safe yet, the off the field issues are growing bigger and bigger with each passing week. Should we survive we will be in a white elephant of a stadium with no prospect of attracting a decent manager or new significant investment. With this current administration we are in the fast lane to diddy Club status along with the likes of QPR, Forest, Oxford, Norwich and Ipswich all of whom dabbled in the top flight for a while before sinking like a stone tied to a concrete block.

Do you know the FACTS about who applied for the post?

According to boardroom sources both Kevin Blackwell and Billy Davies were interested.

We can't be doing too much wrong if we have two of the division's current top six managers expressing an interest in joining us.

Ok, so they were both under contract and their boards decided to hold them to that. But that may change at the end of the season. Indeed it is well known that whether Leeds are promoted or not, Ken Bates will get rid of Blackwell.

Alternatively, it is possible that Rob Kelly may do so well that he will be offered the job on a permanent basis.

These things remain to be seen, but mindless digs at the board, based on dodgy quotes from the likes of Kamara and various tabloid hacks, are out of order!

Well before Levein was sacked and even in his last days there were a numerous posts saying there was not any one out there to replace him. Nothing has changed. It would cost LCFC to get hold of currently employed managers and it certainly has cost them to get rid of Levein.

It still remains the case that there is no one out there to replace him and I think the club have looked (maybe even offered) at other managers and I for one am glad that they arrived at there current decision. (Also glad the names mentioned dident come aboard as I am not sure they have really done anything that they could bring to the club) As some previous posts have said Kelly deserves it until the end of the year.

It gives the club time to think it through, have a look at whats available at the end of the season and put some plans in place to move forward. I just hope and pray that we dont look at Souness or McCarthy should he get the sack from Sunderland.

If LCFC survive it will be a great thing and any new manager coming in will inherit a resonably good, young squad that has potential. IMO we need a manager that can get the best from the player potental rather than a manager who comes with administrational skill. However I dont have any suggestions as to who this is because quite frankly I dont know!

COME ON YOU MIGHTY FOXES

MadMick

Interesting isn't it - Barton has responded to 3 other posts since mine, but failed to answer me

Why don't you want to answer my simple question Barton ?

Been rumbled have we?

Does this by any chance now involve doing PR for the League Managers Association ?

Eh? :huh:

I have got nowt to do with the LMA and won't do either, although I would like to know why you would come up with such a thought?

Still although it irks some on here, I do know what went on and they really don't want to believe it. This thread wasn't started as a dig at Rob Kelly, more at the sheer ineptness of those who run the Club above him. No one yet has been able to put up a solid defence for Davies or McCahill.

Reading Barton Fox's posts very carefully I can't help getting the feeling that he would love it, just love it (a la Kevin Keegan) if Mr Kelly were to fall flat on his tits.

He is also being more than a tad disingenuous about the board's 'incompetence.' A few people may think that the board have handled the managerial appointment badly because all the 'quality' applicants turned us down. This may or may not be true.

But Barton, in his own bitter and twisted way is going further than the most hardened LCFC 'Board Out' nutter. What he is implying is that the Board should have known in advance that suitable managerial candidates would withdraw their applications and therefore members should have stood by the man who would certainly have had us relegated.

Over 90% of fans on this board backed Leveins sacking AT THE TIME. Kelly's remarkable opening run (matching the number of away wins achieved under Levein as well as beating his best winning sequence in his first three matches) seems to have silenced what remains of the dour one's fan club...

...with one idiotic exception.

If approaching and interviewing more than one manager at a time is O.K. with you then fine. But the results are there for all to see. I call that unprofessional.....you can call it what you want.

It's the way other businesses go about recruiting. In this day and age, why should football be any different?

Eh? :huh:

I have got nowt to do with the LMA and won't do either, although I would like to know why you would come up with such a thought?

Still although it irks some on here, I do know what went on and they really don't want to believe it. This thread wasn't started as a dig at Rob Kelly, more at the sheer ineptness of those who run the Club above him. No one yet has been able to put up a solid defence for Davies or McCahill.

I can't believe the ineptitude of your spelling.

Thing is though Barton, you would have some decent points and people may well take your comments on board if you didnt patronise the arse off them. Perhaps if you did away with this superiority complex you appear to have you might get on a bit better.

Reading Barton Fox's posts very carefully I can't help getting the feeling that he would love it, just love it (a la Kevin Keegan) if Mr Kelly were to fall flat on his tits.

He is also being more than a tad disingenuous about the board's 'incompetence.' A few people may think that the board have handled the managerial appointment badly because all the 'quality' applicants turned us down. This may or may not be true.

But Barton, in his own bitter and twisted way is going further than the most hardened LCFC 'Board Out' nutter. What he is implying is that the Board should have known in advance that suitable managerial candidates would withdraw their applications and therefore members should have stood by the man who would certainly have had us relegated.

Over 90% of fans on this board backed Leveins sacking AT THE TIME. Kelly's remarkable opening run (matching the number of away wins achieved under Levein as well as beating his best winning sequence in his first three matches) seems to have silenced what remains of the dour one's fan club...

...with one idiotic exception.

Well done, here is another one.

As it goes my disillusioned lamb, Levein's time was up at Christmas and although I backed him he had to go, there was no justification for giving him those extra games. But lets not let that little nugget ruin your little rant.

Still no one backing up Davies or McCahill :whistle:

As it goes my disillusioned lamb, Levein's time was up at Christmas and although I backed him he had to go, there was no justification for giving him those extra games. But lets not let that little nugget ruin your little rant.

That probably because nobody can be arsed to argue with somone so single minded. :rolleyes:

Personally I think Davies is abit of a liability and Babylon has gone on record as to saying the same. The thing is I cannot see what McCahill or Davies could have done in terms of getting getting Newell, Cotterill, Davies, etc. The club has no money, something that isn't their fault. The only criticism I have of them is their dithering over getting rid of Levein, but even so that wouldn't have solved the money issue needed to tempt managers already in a comfortable job.

Thing is though Barton, you would have some decent points and people may well take your comments on board if you didnt patronise the arse off them. Perhaps if you did away with this superiority complex you appear to have you might get on a bit better.

I am getting on fine, I don't get hung on on what people think of my internet personna, this is a cyber world populated by faceless surfers. Too many on here take it far too seriously and sadly too many on here can't form their own opinion before checking with the other cyber surfers.

You are one of the few who post with thought, sense and reason which is refreshing.

Personally I think Davies is abit of a liability and Babylon has gone on record as to saying the same. The thing is I cannot see what McCahill or Davies could have done in terms of getting getting Newell, Cotterill, Davies, etc. The club has no money, something that isn't their fault. The only criticism I have of them is their dithering over getting rid of Levein, but even so that wouldn't have solved the money issue needed to tempt managers already in a comfortable job.

The answers are there Ric and you're almost on it.

The answers are there Ric and you're almost on it.

Ok, i'm going to admit that i'm completely confused. I'm not ashamed to admit it, please enlighten me on what i'm missing, perhaps PM me if you don't want to reveal all.

I'm usually very critical over the way the club is run, but in this instance I haven't felt compelled to be riled by what's gone on. That might well be down to the fact that Rob Kelly has somehow got us 10 points from 4 games, if we were still in the relegation zone then I couldn't guarantee the same opinion. What a difference a few wins makes.

Archived