Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

de laet

Evidently we need to strengthen at RB. West Ham targeted RDL and others will too. He was lucky not to get sent off today. He's doing his best though. Not sure if getting on his back is going to help him improve his performances - it might have the opposite effect.

His problem is he constantly allows his man 5 yards of space, as if he was a slow full back with positional sense. He is quick enough to get tight to his winger but doesn't ever, today's goal was him being too far back and allowing the two Bournemouth players and easy one two around him, if he gets tight to gradel he cuts that out by being able to stay close to a man, rather then having a triangle around him. Last week vs Spurs he backed off and allowed Chadli into the box, if he got tight, could've shown him the line and kept up with him. Such a mindless full back, shame as he is decent in attack, but desperately needs replacing.

I've always thought that he offered something as a squad player but that's about it IMHO.

Last season we picked up when De Laet was finally dropped and we went with 3 CBs and Schlupp / Albrighton as wing backs. Now, with no real justification, Ritchie is back in the team and looking as shaky as he did last season - I dont get it?

By all means keep him as a squad player but why LCFC managers persist with picking RDL in a flat back 4 is beyond me.

Maybe I'm too sentimental but I never get it when people say things like this? He's been the first right-back we've had in a long time to keep his place for more than a year. He wasn't great today. Everybody knows that. I do feel slightly sorry for him though, he gets no support from Mahrez whatsoever. All the players that surrounded him were not much better than he was. King and Drinkwater never seemed to want the ball off him and Huth was far from his best as well. I think we also overlook the fact that most teams in the league are really threatening down that left-hand side.  

The whole De Laet not being good enough debate is like a complete deja vu of the many negative Paul Konchesky threads that we've had over the years. 

Come off it, neither him nor Konchesky were good enough for the premier league and nothing has changed.

De Laet is an ok championship player but he's punished for his many, many mistakes at this level.

GERRIMOUT!

After one bad game? He's been reasonably solid otherwise, although he was sold down the river slightly by Mahrez and the formation - Mahrez went wandering trying to make things happen since he had to to give us any attacking threat, leaving De Laet exposed. Poor today, but he's nowhere near as bad as people are making out.

Bit of a Nugent, very good in The Championship but not good enough to sustain an acceptable level in The Prem.

Was completely roasted by Gradel today to the point where he became scared to do what he should have done. For their goal he hid in the middle from fear of coming out to meet the winger and try and stop the cross.

Blamed Mahrez today as he also did when he got targeted at West Ham but the reality is that when Benalouane came on at Upton Park we stopped getting opened up down our right side.

Time for him to be phased out. At this level he can't even impact offensively as well as he could in The Championship - something that also made up for/hid his defensive frailties.

Maybe I'm too sentimental but I never get it when people say things like this? He's been the first right-back we've had in a long time to keep his place for more than a year. He wasn't great today. Everybody knows that. I do feel slightly sorry for him though, he gets no support from Mahrez whatsoever. All the players that surrounded him were not much better than he was. King and Drinkwater never seemed to want the ball off him and Huth was far from his best as well. I think we also overlook the fact that most teams in the league are really threatening down that left-hand side.

The whole De Laet not being good enough debate is like a complete deja vu of the many negative Paul Konchesky threads that we've had over the years.

A good full back shouldn't need his winger to bail him out all the time. When an opposition manager sees him on the teamsheet they target him because they know he is not good enough. Ranieri I'm pretty sure will not pick him again. He just never looks confident on the ball.

He's been far from as solid as you would want so far this season but he really hasn't been as bad as most are making out. Always has to be someone though I suppose.

After one bad game? He's been reasonably solid otherwise, although he was sold down the river slightly by Mahrez and the formation - Mahrez went wandering trying to make things happen since he had to to give us any attacking threat, leaving De Laet exposed. Poor today, but he's nowhere near as bad as people are making out.

Not sure what player you guys have been watching for the last year, he's looked out of his depth since the very first match last August.

Regardless of who's backing him he is beaten way too easily and makes way too many silly errors.

A good full back shouldn't need his winger to bail him out all the time. When an opposition manager sees him on the teamsheet they target him because they know he is not good enough. Ranieri I'm pretty sure will not pick him again. He just never looks confident on the ball.

A good winger can track back and defend. 

Not sure what player you guys have been watching for the last year, he's looked out of his depth since the very first match last August.

Regardless of who's backing him he is beaten way too easily and makes way too many silly errors.

Has he? because I seem to remember him looking reasonable last season, no worse than anyone else, and far better than Simpson, and this season he seemed to cope fine with all but Gradel. 

Has he? because I seem to remember him looking reasonable last season, no worse than anyone else, and far better than Simpson, and this season he seemed to cope fine with all but Gradel.

Yes he has. He's looked very nervy, can't keep the ball, is positionally sloppy and his left winger has the better of him far far too often. Also saying he's better than Simpson doesn't say much given how bad Simpson is.

We desperately need a new quality RB.

Yes he has. He's looked very nervy, can't keep the ball, is positionally sloppy and his left winger has the better of him far far too often. Also saying he's better than Simpson doesn't say much given how bad Simpson is.

We desperately need a new quality RB.

Well no - if we're wanting to progress beyond lower midtable then RB is the first place we should be looking to strengthen, but he's not looked that bad over the past year - he's had poor games but all of them have, and conversely he's had good games, like Liverpool at home where he kept Sterling fairly quiet all game. He's not great, certainly not good enough at this level beyond a 14th-17th finish, but neither is he a car-crash waiting to happen.

When you use far better than Simpson. You're on to a loser.

When you use far better than Simpson. You're on to a loser.

It's not hard to be better than Simpson, granted, but the point is that of the alternatives (if we're not playing the wing-backs formation, meaning albrighton is needed on the wing) then he's the best we've got. Not perfect, one of the priorities for improving, but not a disaster - he's like Nugent was, fine, but if we've got aspirations of moving further then improving on him is the first step - but if we've not got someone in by Monday evening, it's not season over like some seem to think.

He is a weak link but that is exaggerated because he has no cover.

Mahrez is hopeless defensively, Albrighton made him look better, if he had Kanté covering him he'd probably look like an international.

Oh no, I don't mean drop Albrighton. Just pointing out I think De Laet is better as a wing back.

Ah right, yeah I'd agree then, though I don't think we've seen much attacking quality of him in the Premiership as we did in the Championship

Archived