Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parsons

Good Deal or Bad News

City fans have greeted the deadline-day departure of David Connolly, on the whole, with a positive reaction.

Throughout yesterday fans were discussing his move to Wigan on internet forums.

Many feel the sale of Connolly, a player who cost £500,000 last season, for a fee that could rise to £3million, represents good business, particularly with boss Craig Levein moving so quickly to bring in Iain Hume from Tranmere as his replacement.

However, some are sad to see the club's top scorer depart, fearing it could be an end to any promotion hopes, even at this early stage of the season.

Shauno45 on foxestalk.co.uk said: "It's a shame. I would have loved to see him try to get 20 goals this season.

"He's a quality player but you don't get £2million for a player these days. We paid 500k for him, so it's £1.5m profit."

On the same site Tornado-ShaunUK said: "£2m? It's like winning the Lottery.

"Come on, if we look at it he's a good player but eight of his 14 or so goals last season were penalties. This season, about the only bright spark we've had out of him is that rare hat-trick against Stoke."

Florida Fox said: "I think we got a good price from Wigan, especially if they stay up and we get the extra £1m. I think Hume and Hammond will do well for us, they are young and with plenty to prove and I think they will prove worthwhile signings.

"Plus, we made a nice £1.25m profit which means perhaps Craig will be able to bring a couple more players in January, if he feels he needs to."

Ric Flair said: "We're in exactly the same position as yesterday except we are potentially £2.25m better off and we have Iain Hume instead of Connolly, who's seven years younger than him and potentially as talented."

Nationwider said: "The best bit of business Levein has done since he came here. £2m-plus for a player who got just a dozen or so goals last year. Superb."

However, casabian said: "What is it with us selling our best strikers just when they are showing their potential?

"If he goes we are going to be in mid-table or relegation places."

On foxfanzine.com filbertfoxy00 said: "Never did I ever think we would one day lose one of our best players to Wigan."

JLeigh said: "Ok, I'm worried. Hume scored 15 goals last year in League One, is he going to get us the 20 goals in the Championship that we need this season?"

City fan Lorraine Austin, 51, of Portsmouth, said: "I am gutted. I don't think it's good business. We need someone scoring goals and now he has gone."

wow! foxestalk members get a mention! well done :clap:

wow! foxestalk members get a mention! well done :clap:

Hey I'm in there! - although that was probably said all in the heat of the moment.. I dont think the only bright spark we've had out of him this season was his hat trick versus Stoke. He has never really had a poor performance this season.. but you can't baulk at £2m can you?

As for that whole article - this had me in stitches...

"Ric Flair said..."

lol..

Wouldn't you say it was lazy journalism sitting at a PC & copy pasting a few quotes -nice work if you can get paid for it.

Having said that its probably better than doing the street interviews that give the views of people who probably don't even know where the stadium is

Wouldn't you say it was lazy journalism sitting at a PC & copy pasting a few quotes -nice work if you can get paid for it.

Having said that its probably better than doing the street interviews that give the views of people who probably don't even know where the stadium is

Would you expect anything more from Bill Anderson and co? :rolleyes: <_<

I would like to see more of those excerpts in regular daily newspapers. Although I heard that the Mercury is not a fans favourite (for its very founded articles), it's nice to see that fans get a mention and that they (at least a little bit) care about us.

Who wouldn't be proud to read his or her name in the paper?

Archived