AjcW Posted 7 November 2016 Posted 7 November 2016 Last season the previous years Champions, none other than cash and talent rich Chelsea, were struggling their arses off at this very time, even lower down the table than we currently find ourselves and with less points and more losses. That's Chelsea, a team who have had plenty of experience winning leagues, champions leagues and domestic cups. Now taking away the managerial change, they ended up finishing 10th, a position I would be so incredibly proud of if we managed to achieve it this season. We still have a much smaller squad than most, and despite investment we're still building said squad to be as strong as the teams around us. We have a centre back who hasn't had a day off in 3 years and a centre mid who looks like he needs one, but the fact is neither of them can until we carry on building that squad! That's exactly what this season was about, stability and slowly building a team that can be rotated with confidence to compete with the top 6. We're about 10 years ahead of a plan at the minute, no wonder things aren't quite working as well as perhaps they would be if we'd just spent two seasons just about surviving in the Premier League! So please take a breath, look at the comparative table below from last season and know that everything is going to be okay! Oh and please stop the Claudio bashing, that man will only ever leave the club of his own decision in my opinion and i'm fine with that.... last season the same people said the success was probably all down to Shakespere, well he's still here..... P.S. That shocking defence everyone keeps banging on about has conceded less goals at this stage than we did last season and we were third!
GLC Posted 7 November 2016 Posted 7 November 2016 I'm not worried yet! I don't believe we'll be relegated and I'd be happy with 10th-14th. We've been playing poorly so far, but i can see it getting better!
MattyFromLE Posted 7 November 2016 Posted 7 November 2016 Have to remember at this point last year, we'd had no injuries, everybody was fresh and we'd played 3/4 games less. The additional games are bound to have an affect, mentally more than physically I'd say. Why else would Danny try a back pass from the half-way line? We have Mendy and Kasper to come back. Sign a young defender (Keane) in January, maybe another midfielder and I think we'll be ok. There are definitely 3 teams, far worse than us - see Sunderland, Burnley and Swansea.
AKCJ Posted 7 November 2016 Posted 7 November 2016 We're yet to click. When that happens we'll be fine. I think it'll happen when Mendy gets up to speed. West Brom at home on Rememberance Day, we were always going to struggle. There are 6/7 teams that are worse than us right now and we know we've got a lot more left to show.
Max Wall Posted 7 November 2016 Posted 7 November 2016 Anyone can lose in the PL, home or away. I also agree on your Claudio comments. However, as positive as I've been so far considering the away performances, I'm getting more than a little concerned with the performances in general which have been more bad than good. Whilst I agree some teams look worse than us, one of them is Hull and we all know what happened there. I don't subscribe to the 'you don't want promoted teams on the opening day' argument. We were woeful that day and, on this seasons form, look capable of losing to anyone. Whilst banging on about last season achieves little, we always looked like we had the determination to get back into a game after conceding and usually did. That can't be said for any of the away games this season except spurs and yesterday was a similar tale. Slims goal felt like it came completely out of the blue and, once behind again, it just didn't feel like we would score (very similar to the Hull game). The endless high diagonal balls to the wings was verging on insanity. Whilst Mahrez is a magician and can bring them under control, the defender was immediately on him. As for Gray, waited a long time for some game minutes and is then faced with that service. That said, in general I'm with you. We have to keep getting behind the team AND manager in the hope they turn it around.
lgfualol Posted 7 November 2016 Posted 7 November 2016 How many chances were Chelsea creating though, I think we've made about 4 chances in the last 3 games.
Vacamion Posted 7 November 2016 Posted 7 November 2016 It's worrying if we are being compared to Chelsea of last season, as they basically went on strike for half a season.
AjcW Posted 7 November 2016 Author Posted 7 November 2016 29 minutes ago, lgfualol said: How many chances were Chelsea creating though, I think we've made about 4 chances in the last 3 games. Agreed. It was more of an "It can happen to anyone" comment.
ajthefox Posted 7 November 2016 Posted 7 November 2016 1 hour ago, AKCJ said: We're yet to click. When that happens we'll be fine. I think it'll happen when Mendy gets up to speed. West Brom at home on Rememberance Day, we were always going to struggle. There are 6/7 teams that are worse than us right now and we know we've got a lot more left to show. Why?
AKCJ Posted 7 November 2016 Posted 7 November 2016 3 minutes ago, ajthefox said: Why? We haven't won against West Brom at home in donkeys years and we've not got a particularly brilliant remembrance day record either.
ajthefox Posted 7 November 2016 Posted 7 November 2016 I see your point but that's not reason to accept that we were bound to struggle against West Brom. We're the bloody champions!
foxy boxing Posted 7 November 2016 Posted 7 November 2016 breathe in breath out breathe in breathe out. yeah great everything seems a lot better now? thanks?
weller54 Posted 7 November 2016 Posted 7 November 2016 1 hour ago, AKCJ said: We haven't won against West Brom at home in donkeys years and we've not got a particularly brilliant remembrance day record either. Perhaps the poppies on the shirts cause more weight and we 'tire' quicker?
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.