Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest CityFan 06

Sevilla (H) Pre-Match Thread

1 minute ago, the fox said:

Nothing really, Eagle. Vs Liverpool the team looked almost as strong as last season's plus n'didi's aerial prowess. People are fast to discredit 10 players because the one who left is playing better football. For me, vardy and mahrez rank higher than kantè as nominees for "the best player in the history of Leicester" because they represent what Leicester is. Came from nothing, became something and staid loyal.

No one is discrediting, just crediting the job done by Kanté last year. Kanté came from a Caen side too and no one knew him.

Interesting to see if we conceded early - like we did against Hull. I hope the crowd keep going. You don't win Europa Leagues without being an excellent European side. They carry a lot of pedigree and I envisage needing at least 2 goals tonight to get anything out of this.

3 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

Obviously he didn't win the title alone, but he was for me the main man, him and Ranieri. Of course Vardy and Mahrez played a huge part, but Kanté's job was so underrated, that only now that he is gone people started to notice the difference he made last year.

Underrated? What are you talking about? I don't think one Leicester fan would deny how good he was for us last season and we knew he would leave a big hole to fill. 

6 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

There is no chance we'd have won the league without Kante, who was the best player in the Premier League last year. He's still the best player in the Premier League, which is why Chelsea are going to win it this year.

Better than a midfielder with 17 goals and 11 assists a season? Have a word. You do realise that the players voted mahrez, right?

Do you remember kantè scoring that screamer vs man city and Liverpool, or that amazing goal vs Chelsea, or when he was grinding goals vs Watford and palace to win a 1-0 game. Or, or when he renewed his contract? oh wait, that was mahrez and vardy, not kantè!

Just now, Simo86 said:

Underrated? What are you talking about? I don't think one Leicester fan would deny how good he was for us last season and we knew he would leave a big hole to fill. 

Not talking about Leicester fans. Underrated wasn't the word i wanted to use, I wanted to say unnoticed.

1 minute ago, Simo86 said:

People were saying kantè is underrated for the last 16 months.

8 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

No one is discrediting, just crediting the job done by Kanté last year. Kanté came from a Caen side too and no one knew him.

And no one knew mahrez and vardy and they came from lower leagues than the ligue 1. Kantè had an immense part of last season's but he was the 3rd best player after mahrez and vardy last season imo

Just now, the fox said:

Better than a midfielder with 17 goals and 11 assists a season? Have a word. You do realise that the players voted mahrez, right?

Do you remember kantè scoring that screamer vs man city and Liverpool, or that amazing goal vs Chelsea, or when he was grinding goals vs Watford and palace to win a 1-0 game. Or, or when he renewed his contract? oh wait, that was mahrez and vardy, not kantè!

I am aware of the amazing contributions that Mahrez and Vardy made last year, but I don't believe either would have been possible without Kante's work in midfield. The reason we were able to play 4-4-2 so successfully in a league where virtually every other team tried to pack the midfield is because Kante did the work of two men in the centre of the pitch, effectively giving us an extra man.This provided us with the freedom to play with two wingers, which was central to our rapid counter-attacking style of play. Of course in order to do that successfully, we needed other players to contribute too, which they did in spades. But Kante was the linchpin - if you took him out of the equation, none of the rest would have worked in the same way.

11 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

Obviously he didn't win the title alone, but he was for me the main man, him and Ranieri. Of course Vardy and Mahrez played a huge part, but Kanté's job was so underrated, that only now that he is gone people started to notice the difference he made last year.

It wasn't underated at all, Kante has been given every bit of credit he deserved and some more for good measure.

If anything Vardy and Mahrez contribution has been underated, it's all very well winning the ball back but the hardest and most valued part of football is putting the ball in the net. Without Vardy or Mahrez there is no way Kante would have won a PL title last season either. Kante was the least valuable of the three last season but that's not taking anything away from him.

2 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I am aware of the amazing contributions that Mahrez and Vardy made last year, but I don't believe either would have been possible without Kante's work in midfield. The reason we were able to play 4-4-2 so successfully in a league where virtually every other team tried to pack the midfield is because Kante did the work of two men in the centre of the pitch, effectively giving us an extra man.This provided us with the freedom to play with two wingers, which was central to our rapid counter-attacking style of play. Of course in order to do that successfully, we needed other players to contribute too, which they did in spades. But Kante was the linchpin - if you took him out of the equation, none of the rest would have worked in the same way.

Well, what about when the team started pressing again against pool! For me, that team looked stronger than last season's

2 minutes ago, the fox said:

Well, what about when the team started pressing again against pool! For me, that team looked stronger than last season's

I think it's way too early to say that, but I agree that in Ndidi we may finally have found a replacement for Kante. A large part of the reason we've struggled this season is because there has been a Kante-shaped hole in the middle (Mendy is poor, Amartey looks promising but not for that position, King is simply not that kind of player). Ndidi is not a like-for-like replacement for Kante, but he may just give us the presence in the middle that we've so badly missed. Things are looking up.

Strong relegation run prior to PL winning season No Kante. Last two (ok only two) games when pressing we look every part of what we did last season. Kante was not underrated, but never the sole reason we won the league by any imagination. 

1 minute ago, Gerard said:

It wasn't underated at all, Kante has been given every bit of credit he deserved and some more for good measure.

If anything Vardy and Mahrez contribution has been underated, it's all very well winning the ball back but the hardest and most valued part of football is putting the ball in the net. Without Vardy or Mahrez there is no way Kante would have won a PL title last season either. Kante was the least valuable of the three last season but that's not taking anything away from him.

Thank you:thumbup:. People are downplaying how immense of a season vardy and mahrez had.

24 goals a season in the PL is elite, only Kane scored more (and it was just 1 goal)

And mahrez, let's just put it this way. Mahrez's best season eclipses hazard's best with a lot less to work with(and hazard is considered the best in the league by many)

2 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I think it's way too early to say that, but I agree that in Ndidi we may finally have found a replacement for Kante. A large part of the reason we've struggled this season is because there has been a Kante-shaped hole in the middle (Mendy is poor, Amartey looks promising but not for that position, King is simply not that kind of player). Ndidi is not a like-for-like replacement for Kante, but he may just give us the presence in the middle that we've so badly missed. Things are looking up.

And that is your answer. Imagine putting Albrighton and okazaki in the place of mahrez and vardy and expect to do anything. 

Just now, the fox said:

Thank you:thumbup:. People are downplaying how immense of a season vardy and mahrez had.

24 goals a season in the PL is elite, only Kane scored more (and it was just 1 goal)

And mahrez, let's just put it this way. Mahrez's best season eclipses hazard's best with a lot less to work with(and hazard is considered the best in the league by many)

I think Hazard got POTY in 2014/15 but Mahrez had more goals and assists than he got that season with about two thirds of the season gone.

Mahrez didn't have the luxury of playing in a 4-2-3-1 he was playing RM in a 4-4-2 and expected to track back more than Hazard ever does.

All I want is a 100% performance full of determination and energy. 

If it's not enough then so be it.

As long as we leave the pitch with oue heads held high and enriched by the experience i'll be happy. 

Hello from Blaugrana fans. 

While Sevilla are favorites to go through, they are much weaker away from home and their hot Sanchez Pizjuan stadium. 

Pressing them from the start would be a mistake though as they are perfectly able to play from the back comfortable and relish the space. 

3 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I think Hazard got POTY in 2014/15 but Mahrez had more goals and assists than he got that season with about two thirds of the season gone.

Mahrez didn't have the luxury of playing in a 4-2-3-1 he was playing RM in a 4-4-2 and expected to track back more than Hazard ever does.

Its funny how two elite seasons from two players that had the scoring workload on their backs and dragged the team to a PL trophy is overlooked because kantè is having a better season.

2 minutes ago, BarcaForum said:

While Sevilla are favorites to go through, they are much weaker away from home and their hot Sanchez Pizjuan stadium. 

Pressing them from the start would be a mistake though as they are perfectly able to play from the back comfortable and relish the space. 

Thanks for the input, barcaforum! I'm sure the coaching staff are ready for such thing.

Just now, mohammedsaqib said:

Had the day off to get pumped for this. Do you think I will make the last train at 2255 if it goes into ET + pens? Wondering if I should just drive

Even with extra time and pens it should be finished by 10.30pm latest, so you should make it.

20 minutes ago, BarcaForum said:

Extremely incorrect.

Facts:  Refer to pic below for league.

CL:  0-0 draw vs. Juve, 0-0 draw vs. Lyon, 0-1 win vs. Dinamo (all away).

Also, highest victories with clean sheets have been achieved while playing away (vs. Real Sociedad 0-4 and vs. Celta Vigo 0-3)

not correct.jpg

Archived