Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TiffToff88

NEW Mega Drive!

Right, a bit of background for you - The first ever games console i got was a Sega Mega Drive. Absolutely loved it. I played it so much that it eventually conked out (Around about the time the PS1 came out fortunately). I still have the damaged console, along with all my games, in the hope that some day they might be worth some money to collectors.

Fastforward to today, i discovered that there's a new Mega Drive available, with 80 built in games and a slot for old Mega Drive cartridges. Well, its my 29th birthday this saturday so when the mrs asked me what i want for my birthday the choice was obvious.

She got online and ordered it straight away. Cant wait for this!

Remember having a premier manager game on it and starting a new season if Andy Cole wasnt on the transfer list you would just start a new game until he was on there. Buy him and you won the league.

Easy lol 

I had some great games. All about Road Rash. Smacking people with chains whilst riding bikes was amazing lol 

Zool and Cool Spot were also highlights along wit the obvious Sonic games. Sonic and Knuckles was brilliant

1 minute ago, kingcarr21 said:

Remember having a premier manager game on it and starting a new season if Andy Cole wasnt on the transfer list you would just start a new game until he was on there. Buy him and you won the league.

Easy lol 

I had some great games. All about Road Rash. Smacking people with chains whilst riding bikes was amazing lol 

Zool and Cool Spot were also highlights along wit the obvious Sonic games. Sonic and Knuckles was brilliant

Premier Manager is genuinely the main reason i'm excited about the new Mega Drive. It was the first Football Management game i ever had. The full version was quite difficult when you had to start in Division 3, and i seem to remember it had serious problems with constant player injuries and players retiring to run country pubs. But still a brilliantly addictive game.

Does it come with Daytona USA? 

The best worst sega soundtrack ever.

I can't believe my parents let us play this game 5 hours a day.

Heres the full list of included games. Brings back a lot of memories!

MEGA DRIVE CLASSICS:

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle

Alien Storm

Altered Beast

Arrow Flash

Bonanza Bros.

Chakan: The Forever Man

Columns

Columns III

ComixZone

Crack Down

DecapAttack

Dr. Robotnik'sMean Bean Machine

ESWAT: City Under Siege

Eternal Champions

Fatal Labyrinth

Flicky

Gain Ground

Golden Axe

Golden Axe II

Golden Axe III

Jewel Master

Kid Chameleon

Phantasy Star 2

Phantasy Star 3

Ristar

Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi

Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master

Sonic & Knuckles

Sonic Spinball

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog II

Sonic 3D Blast

Sword of Varmilion

The Ooze

Vectorman

VectormanII

Mortal Kombat I

Mortal Kombat II

Mortal Kombat III

Adventure in the Park

ARCADE GAMES:

Cross the road

Jack's Pea

Jewel Magic

Curling 2010

Plumbing Contest

Wall-Breaking

Bubble Master

Break a Fireline

Mahjong Solitaire

Warehouse Keeper

Chess

Memory

Snake

Air Hockey

Spider

Naval Power

Mr. Balls

Cannon

Fight or Lose

Bottle Taps Race

Bomber

Checker

Hexagonos

Whack-A-Wolf

Mirror Mirror

Panic Lift

Black Sheep

Flash Memory

Brain Switch

Mega Brain Switch

Hidden Agenda

Dominant Amber

Hide and Seek

Jura Formula

Lost World Sudoku

Meatloaf Rotation

Mya Master Mind

Skeleton Scale

T-Rex Memory Match

Yawning Triceratops

If it's what I think, the new Megadrive has these weird IR joypads (shaped like the originals) but you have to point the controller directly at the console or it just doesn't recognise any input, bizarre

Back in the day it was a brilliant console - Sonic, Streets of Rage series, Gunstar Heroes, Shinobi, Dynamite Headdy, Road Rash, Aladdin (!), it had a brilliant catalogue and I fvcking love the sound chip it had, everything sounded really punchy and full of bass

3 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

If it's what I think, the new Megadrive has these weird IR joypads (shaped like the originals) but you have to point the controller directly at the console or it just doesn't recognise any input, bizarre

Yeah you're right, I have one. I don't want to put a downer on it but......its a bit shit really lol

Just now, stix said:

Yeah you're right, I have one. I don't want to put a downer on it but......its a bit shit really lol

Yeah I only played one at a pub for 20 minutes so I wasn't sure if with fresh batteries it would perform better but it definitely seemed more of a novelty than a proper system. Nice idea though, especially as it takes the original cartridges too

I reckon the best bet is to just scour eBay for bargains - apart from the rare titles, old Sega stuff is pretty cheap second hand so just get a working Megadrive (they all still work!) and bulk buy the games. Or emulation (although it doesn't feel the same)

13 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Yeah I only played one at a pub for 20 minutes so I wasn't sure if with fresh batteries it would perform better but it definitely seemed more of a novelty than a proper system. Nice idea though, especially as it takes the original cartridges too

I reckon the best bet is to just scour eBay for bargains - apart from the rare titles, old Sega stuff is pretty cheap second hand so just get a working Megadrive (they all still work!) and bulk buy the games. Or emulation (although it doesn't feel the same)

The portable one they've just released is a much better concept for me personally. Although the games are still shockingly bad graphically, which is to be expected obviously. But playing them on a 50" TV really does emphasise that fact. 

Edit: Although the 3.2" display on the portable one is pathetically small!

1 hour ago, winchesterton said:

Does it come with Daytona USA? 

The best worst sega soundtrack ever.

I can't believe my parents let us play this game 5 hours a day.

That was an Arcade, Saturn (and later Dreamcast) game.

1 hour ago, z-layrex said:

I collect Sega games, have my Mega Drive model 1, Saturn and Dreamcast all set up and well cared for in my study, connected to a beautiful old B&O CRT.

Saturn is my fave, something special about it.

I was the only one of my friends to buy the Saturn over the PS.

I ****ing loved that thing.

5 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

Right, a bit of background for you - The first ever games console i got was a Sega Mega Drive. Absolutely loved it. I played it so much that it eventually conked out (Around about the time the PS1 came out fortunately). I still have the damaged console, along with all my games, in the hope that some day they might be worth some money to collectors.

Fastforward to today, i discovered that there's a new Mega Drive available, with 80 built in games and a slot for old Mega Drive cartridges. Well, its my 29th birthday this saturday so when the mrs asked me what i want for my birthday the choice was obvious.

She got online and ordered it straight away. Cant wait for this!

Forget it, you've got £300 extra council tax to pay!

:P

3 hours ago, hairmetalgamer said:

It came out ages before the NES mini and it's not actually made by Sega, some random crappy company paid for the rights to make it

It was only sold in Brazil and seeing the way Nintendo pushed their NES Mini and how successful their launch has been, SEGA has now been put under some pressure to release it to the rest of the world (or starting in Japan through another party, to say the least) also.

http://www.pcmag.com/news/349332/limited-edition-sega-genesis-reissue-due-in-2017

22 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

It was only sold in Brazil and seeing the way Nintendo pushed their NES Mini and how successful their launch has been, SEGA has now been put under some pressure to release it to the rest of the world (or starting in Japan through another party, to say the least) also.

http://www.pcmag.com/news/349332/limited-edition-sega-genesis-reissue-due-in-2017

Argos were selling it years ago, I know this because I bought one

4 hours ago, z-layrex said:

I collect Sega games, have my Mega Drive model 1, Saturn and Dreamcast all set up and well cared for in my study, connected to a beautiful old B&O CRT.

Saturn is my fave, something special about it.

I listened to the audiobook of Console Wars, centered around Tom Kalinskie. A brilliant book. I get the impression that the Saturn suffered from Japanese mismanagement and the fact it came out at the same time as the Playstation?

I have fond memories myself. I had a SNES and my sister had the Mega Drive. Many hours whittled away on Aladdin, Sonic I and II, Ecco the Dolphin (never actually completed that, just messed about) and a lorry load more games I've probably forgotten. Bought a console with eight games on eBay about nine years ago now for £30, so whip it out every now and then.

I do enjoy the speedruns and longplays that some people have on YouTube. The skills amassed by some people playing these games is exceptional.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to setting it up and playing a few games this weekend. Massively disappointed with it. The controllers are tiny, and massively unresponsive. as others have said, you have to be pointing the controller directly at the mega drive for it to work. Brilliant idea to bring out this new version, but very badly executed.

Archived