Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rob1742

Guitars

7 hours ago, Górnik Leicester said:

It's glossed, and currently curing in the garage. Takes two weeks to harden, apparently, before I can do a final sanding.

Ordered the pickguard yesterday, and a gold cover for the neck pickup. Both due to be delivered in the next few days.

I'll be oiling the neck tomorrow, and hopefully assembling towards the back end of this week. Been watching plenty of YouTube videos on the wiring side of it, as that's the bit I'm a bit nervous about. 

Sounds like it's coming along nicely, good luck with the wiring and (of course) keep us posted! Worse case scenario is you have to have a luthier help if you are struggling. I reckon you will get there on your own though 👍

*if you do need a luthier for this or anything else I highly recommend Danny at Leicestershire Luthiers, he's a talented chap and a Foxes ST holder too. 👏 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flamey said:

Fair enough, you can get a decent custom decal on Ebay for fairly cheap.

'Górnikaster' ? 😄

My real name 😂

Its probably the one bit so far that I'd do differently next time (would put more gloss on first, as the ink ran into the wood a bit), but I've gone in with the attitude that this all is a learning process, so I'm quite comfortable with it.

Did look at the custom decals, but they looked a bit of a pain to put on. You have to repeatedly sand through the top layer, but stop at a point where you don't damage the decal itself

Third coat of neck oil on this morning. Might even give the body a bit of a light sand this afternoon, so I can perhaps start assembling this week. 

Compress_20221113_112524_4786.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Górnik Leicester said:

I built a thing! 

There might be better sounding guitars out there (it's a Tele, so it's supposed to have a bit of a twang), but it's so bloody satisfying knowing I built it myself. 

Compress_20221114_174944_4550.jpg

Compress_20221114_174945_5896.jpg

Compress_20221114_174945_5434.jpg

Compress_20221114_174945_5038.jpg

Nice selection of Leicester books too!  Sorry for having a nose around your book case! 

• Like 1

Took my Strat back to the guitar tech guy yesterday and ended up AGAIN spending most of the evening chatting as he fiddled about with the set up, a proper while-you-wait service.

Time well spent, having had it over a year it's now how I want it. The action has come up a tiny bit, so maybe it's not quite as silky smooth to play as it was but the fret buzz has been almost completely eliminated and it just feels right to me now, in that it's a bit more forgiving and I can be a bit more carefree with my playing style.

Left one of my Teles with him with a remit of fitting some slightly nastier pickups to make it my ROCK guitar (well as rocky as a Tele can be anyway, but haven't decided what to go for yet

8 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Took my Strat back to the guitar tech guy yesterday and ended up AGAIN spending most of the evening chatting as he fiddled about with the set up, a proper while-you-wait service.

Time well spent, having had it over a year it's now how I want it. The action has come up a tiny bit, so maybe it's not quite as silky smooth to play as it was but the fret buzz has been almost completely eliminated and it just feels right to me now, in that it's a bit more forgiving and I can be a bit more carefree with my playing style.

Left one of my Teles with him with a remit of fitting some slightly nastier pickups to make it my ROCK guitar (well as rocky as a Tele can be anyway, but haven't decided what to go for yet

Interested to know what pickups you decide on for your tele, is it currently single coils?

On 24/11/2022 at 07:21, Flamey said:

Interested to know what pickups you decide on for your tele, is it currently single coils?

Well, after a very long but very interesting chat with a lovely man at Bareknuckle Pickups I'm probably going to go for some 'Flat 50s' as he was confident that would give me what I'm after

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Well, after a very long but very interesting chat with a lovely man at Bareknuckle Pickups I'm probably going to go for some 'Flat 50s' as he was confident that would give me what I'm after

Heard great stuff about bareknuckle.

My 9 year olds just started lessons and really loving it.( even I'm learning from HIM!!!)

Hes borrowing a guitar from school, but was thinking of buying him one for xmas.

Anyone  have any ideas  etc what would be suitable for his age group?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Raj said:

My 9 year olds just started lessons and really loving it.( even I'm learning from HIM!!!)

Hes borrowing a guitar from school, but was thinking of buying him one for xmas.

Anyone  have any ideas  etc what would be suitable for his age group?

Might be more than you want to spend but Yamaha make good instruments at the cheaper end of the spectrum including a 3/4 size classical.

You can get a guitar for less than 50 quid on Amazon but if the one we bought my daughter is anything to go by the quality is pretty dire

10 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Might be more than you want to spend but Yamaha make good instruments at the cheaper end of the spectrum including a 3/4 size classical.

You can get a guitar for less than 50 quid on Amazon but if the one we bought my daughter is anything to go by the quality is pretty dire

Was looking at this one...

https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/3rd-avenue-3-4-size-classical-guitar-pack-with-6-months-free-lessons-bag-strings-and-tuner-natural

1 hour ago, Raj said:

It's tricky, because a lot of instruments end up in the garage or loft due to lack of interest so it's understandable to not want to splash loads of cash.

A better quality instrument will generally be better to play though so if there's even a suggestion of him getting into it, it might be worth the money. A better instrument is more likely to have some resale value should things not pan out as hoped....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

It's tricky, because a lot of instruments end up in the garage or loft due to lack of interest so it's understandable to not want to splash loads of cash.

A better quality instrument will generally be better to play though so if there's even a suggestion of him getting into it, it might be worth the money. A better instrument is more likely to have some resale value should things not pan out as hoped....

If you get time mate, chuck a link on here to one you suggest please x