Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rob1742

Guitars

9 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Anyone on here into trading up guitars? @Flamey @Bellend Sebastian @Dr Marco @The People's Hero

Just seen a Mid-90s MIK Fender Lite Ash Telecaster for sale for £450 ONO. I'm pretty sure the MIK Fenders are pretty highly regarded, right? It looks like a Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 pup in the bridge and a birdseye maple neck. 

The thing is filthy, clearly hasn't been used in years and has a missing a pup switch cap, so I could probably get him down to £400, but otherwise looks in decent nick. 

Anyone got any thoughts?

I am also of the opinion that they are highly regarded, they did ship with seymour duncans and who doesn't love bird's-eye maple!

The key for me though is the condition on any guitar, not the cosmetics necessarily, but things that affect the playability. 

8 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Anyone on here into trading up guitars? @Flamey @Bellend Sebastian @Dr Marco @The People's Hero

Just seen a Mid-90s MIK Fender Lite Ash Telecaster for sale for £450 ONO. I'm pretty sure the MIK Fenders are pretty highly regarded, right? It looks like a Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 pup in the bridge and a birdseye maple neck. 

The thing is filthy, clearly hasn't been used in years and has a missing a pup switch cap, so I could probably get him down to £400, but otherwise looks in decent nick. 

Anyone got any thoughts?

Can you make out if it has Squire Series branding on the headstock? It's either the Korean/Mexican issue which came with cheaper electrics (this is why they frequently are found with upgrades), or a Japanese rebranded Fender. Approach with caution - I'm sure the mid nineties ones had particle board bodies.

I'd say this is definitely over-priced. If you're after a decent Tele - you'll find much better for around the £500 mark.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Flamey said:

I am also of the opinion that they are highly regarded, they did ship with seymour duncans and who doesn't love bird's-eye maple!

The key for me though is the condition on any guitar, not the cosmetics necessarily, but things that affect the playability. 

I'd agree. My Strat that I bought late last year is great, but when I took it for a set up recently it did present some challenges to the tech that he attributed to it possibly having never been set up properly originally and or/being unused for a long time. It's basically fine, but it did make me realise that I'd dodged a bullet a bit in that in that things can happen to guitars that may not be possible to put right.

Maybe worth asking a bit more about its history?

I should add that my first guitar was a 1995 Korean made Squier Tele (bought new) and even allowing for it being bottom of the range at the time, it was NASTY, so those Korean lads can definitely make a crap axe when they feel like it.

It's a lottery buying guitars without trying them, definitely

Edited by Bellend Sebastian
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Flamey said:

Yeah, hard to know without getting my hands on it. Looks dirty, but you're right a guitar that age could have lots of problems. 

23 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Can you make out if it has Squire Series branding on the headstock? It's either the Korean/Mexican issue which came with cheaper electrics (this is why they frequently are found with upgrades), or a Japanese rebranded Fender. Approach with caution - I'm sure the mid nineties ones had particle board bodies.

I'd say this is definitely over-priced. If you're after a decent Tele - you'll find much better for around the £500 mark.

Looks legit Fender, TBF. Serial number checks out as Korean-made between 1988-1996. Unfortunately with the MIK Fenders that's all the detail you get... 

From a bit of research they came as standard with Seymour Duncan pups and the body is Ash

16 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I'd agree. My Strat that I bought late last year is great, but when I took it for a set up recently it did present some challenges to the tech that he attributed to it possibly having never been set up properly originally and or/being unused for a long time. It's basically fine, but it did make me realise that I'd dodged a bullet a bit in that in that things can happen to guitars that may not be possible to put right.

Maybe worth asking a bit more about its history?

Really tricky to know whether someone's flogging a partscaster. 

There's probably many of guitarists out there that don't even know they've got one.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

Ok after some digging, it seems Korean Light Ash Teles were made between 2004-2009. That serial number is showing up as 1988-96. Apparently a discrepancy in online serial number searches largely due to MIK serial numbers being ‘random sequential’ without an actual date embedded within.

RRP was $899 at new. I think it's legit, but it's a risky one especially given it doesn't seem to have been well looked after. 

Tempting. One is going on Ebay for £600. If it was a bit cheaper and in better nick, I think I'd go for it. 

All I want is to find a killer guitar at a daft price. lol

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

Ok after some digging, it seems Korean Light Ash Teles were made between 2004-2009. That serial number is showing up as 1988-96. Apparently a discrepancy in online serial number searches largely due to MIK serial numbers being ‘random sequential’ without an actual date embedded within.

RRP was $899 at new. I think it's legit, but it's a risky one especially given it doesn't seem to have been well looked after. 

Tempting. One is going on Ebay for £600. If it was a bit cheaper and in better nick, I think I'd go for it. 

All I want is to find a killer guitar at a daft price. lol

That ebay guitar is a beaut.

To celebrate me fixing my old Boss SD1 Super Overdrive pedal which had languished in my loft for a full decade and sounds ACE through my THR, thought I'd ask what FX if any you lot use or like.

I got a Behringer Super Fuzz the other day and for the money it's great; they're so blooming cheap I might try some others from the range

• Like 1

On 21/01/2022 at 22:35, Bellend Sebastian said:

To celebrate me fixing my old Boss SD1 Super Overdrive pedal which had languished in my loft for a full decade and sounds ACE through my THR, thought I'd ask what FX if any you lot use or like.

I got a Behringer Super Fuzz the other day and for the money it's great; they're so blooming cheap I might try some others from the range

I have a fair few, but don't bother with them most of the time tbh. I have a fender tmdr amp, thr classic and a thrii 30 so can get most tones I like without them. Now you mention though..I have a new one arriving in February its called a 1991, looking forward to trying it now!

Edit...crikey I just thought ...I also have a Boss Nextone and a Vox Pathfinder amp too 😳 I really need a clear out.

Back on track though...In my performing days I used a boss feedbacker distortion, boss dd & boss super chorus.

Edited by Flamey

13 hours ago, Flamey said:

I have a fair few, but don't bother with them most of the time tbh. I have a fender tmdr amp, thr classic and a thrii 30 so can get most tones I like without them. Now you mention though..I have a new one arriving in February its called a 1991, looking forward to trying it now!

Edit...crikey I just thought ...I also have a Boss Nextone and a Vox Pathfinder amp too 😳 I really need a clear out.

Back on track though...In my performing days I used a boss feedbacker distortion, boss dd & boss super chorus.

Just been reading about that, bit niche eh? It's the one designed to give all the tones of off a single Pearl Jam album (which I assume you're a fan of)?

That's the joy of pedals though, isn't it? If it makes the sound you want, off you go. My THR can produce such a range of tones it's bewildering and I'm too lazy to explore them properly, so the idea of a (sometimes) inexpensive box that you stomp on and there you're there does appeal.

I've probably got my needs covered now, although a friend was trying to persuade me last night of the merits of a wah pedal but I think that's the sort of thing that I'd have great fun with for an afternoon but then would never use again

27 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Just been reading about that, bit niche eh? It's the one designed to give all the tones of off a single Pearl Jam album (which I assume you're a fan of)?

Yeah, that's the one, thought I'd take a punt on it as I like the album Ten and listened to it a lot as a young 'un, tbh it was nostalgia rather than need which made me buy it!

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/01/2022 at 22:35, Bellend Sebastian said:

I've given up on hardware completely TBH for the time being. I still have a Boss OD3 and a Morley Wah collecting dust in a cupboard somewhere and an old Marshall AVT275 that hasn't been switched on in probably 2 years. 

My guitar goes straight into Logic through my home studio audio interface and from there its usually a selection of Waves plugins. Usually GTR3 and CLA Gtr in the signal chain. I stick my headphones on, and it can model pretty much any amp you can think of pretty closely. 

I'm shit so I don't want other people hearing me. lol

If I had the cash I'd go straight for a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier. 

Edited by RoboFox

I've been following this brand for a while and they're getting a very good reputation for super high-end guitars, built in China from import parts. I'm getting the "new guitar" itch, and I'm fancying something a bit left-field. 

Their specs are great for sub-£1,000. 

3 hours ago, RoboFox said:

I've given up on hardware completely TBH for the time being. I still have a Boss OD3 and a Morley Wah collecting dust in a cupboard somewhere and an old Marshall AVT275 that hasn't been switched on in probably 2 years. 

My guitar goes straight into Logic through my home studio audio interface and from there its usually a selection of Waves plugins. Usually GTR3 and CLA Gtr in the signal chain. I stick my headphones on, and it can model pretty much any amp you can think of pretty closely. 

I'm shit so I don't want other people hearing me. lol

If I had the cash I'd go straight for a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier. 

I bet I'm shitter.

By not so strange coincidence I've got an AVT150 in the loft gathering all sorts of filth. It's got a whiny fan in it so I should get it fixed and get rid of it, that's not been turned on for at least 11 years.

I still like having an actual amp, albeit a relatively small one that I can easily move around the house. I've still not really explored all the modelling options, I just don't have the patience! It does make me feel a bit of a luddite, tbh

15 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I bet I'm shitter.

By not so strange coincidence I've got an AVT150 in the loft gathering all sorts of filth. It's got a whiny fan in it so I should get it fixed and get rid of it, that's not been turned on for at least 11 years.

I still like having an actual amp, albeit a relatively small one that I can easily move around the house. I've still not really explored all the modelling options, I just don't have the patience! It does make me feel a bit of a luddite, tbh

lol My AVT has had a broken fan bearing for as long as I can remember, it made recording anything with it a nightmare. Clearly not uncommon. 

14 hours ago, Dr Marco said:

must have bought it for 400 euros in 2013

Melody Maker

Ah! In my head Melody Makers have a double-cutaway. Nice guitar. 

• Like 1

New 40th Anniversary Squier range. I think they look incredible.

The "gold" versions of the Teles, Strats and Jaguars all great. Tempted with a Tele since I've never owned one. 

I have a broken Squier in a cupboard from the heyday of shit entry-level guitars in the late 90s. I think it's made out of plywood. 

All I've heard about newer high-end new Squiers is they're easily a match for MIM Fenders. Price point is a little high though - best part of £500. 

Hello AVT fanclub. Great amp. Bought it for all of the wrong reasons. Thought 150 watts meant it was better. Thought more knobs and channels meant it was better. Couldn't have told you what a tube (valve :P) was when I bought it. Yet if it wasn't solid state I would have absolutely hated it. Being a teenager seeing stacks on stages gave me the wrong impression.

Wouldn't say no to a black tolex silver jube. Or swapping the 1960a to a 1936v.

Meanwhile at Mom's house:

IMG_6212.thumb.JPG.51c1bf09c9b270d4a3d5102c2e1a4053.JPG

• Like 2

On 26/02/2022 at 21:26, NewEnglandFox said:

Hello AVT fanclub. Great amp. Bought it for all of the wrong reasons. Thought 150 watts meant it was better. Thought more knobs and channels meant it was better. Couldn't have told you what a tube (valve :P) was when I bought it. Yet if it wasn't solid state I would have absolutely hated it. Being a teenager seeing stacks on stages gave me the wrong impression.

Wouldn't say no to a black tolex silver jube. Or swapping the 1960a to a 1936v.

Meanwhile at Mom's house:

IMG_6212.thumb.JPG.51c1bf09c9b270d4a3d5102c2e1a4053.JPG

I bought my AVT275 because the drummer in our band was so fvcking loud, it was the highest output combo I could get my hands on. No other reason. lol

To this day - 20-odd years later - I haven't used enough amps to genuinely tell you whether it's any good TBH. I once used a friend's Mesa Boogie Dual Rec to record with, and it was infinitely better, but then again a £2k head would be. 

Edited by RoboFox

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Flamey said:

What model/edition  is the tele?

Squire Classic Vibe 60s.  This one is a special edition, hence the colour and double binding.

After a Strat as well now - bug officially acquired 😀

Edited by Blarmy

4 hours ago, Blarmy said:

Squire Classic Vibe 60s.  This one is a special edition, hence the colour and double binding.

After a Strat as well now - bug officially acquired 😀

Looks really nice, the colour/plate/neck combination always reminds me of Muddy Waters. 

I too also have the bug for a new guitar but need to offload some first.

• Like 1