Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rob1742

Guitars

1 hour ago, Raj said:

If you get time mate, chuck a link on here to one you suggest please x

This'll be there or thereabouts. You'd want something better for playing the Royal Albert Hall, but for learning and having half a chance of staying in tune, this should be a good starter instrument:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-CS40II-Classical-Guitar-Learners/dp/B005WAG84K/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=5BPZCCDGROLD&keywords=yamaha+cs40+mk+ii+three-quarter+size+classical+guitar&qid=1669618431&sprefix=cs40+mk%2Caps%2C103&sr=8-3

Speaking of staying in tune, I was going to say to buy a chromatic tuner as well but to be honest the free smartphone apps that do this are probably good enough to not bother with one now.

Edit: posted Amazon link for ease, but it's pretty cheap everywhere and you don't have to buy it from there!

Edited by Bellend Sebastian
  • Thanks 1

On 28/11/2022 at 07:01, Bellend Sebastian said:

This'll be there or thereabouts. You'd want something better for playing the Royal Albert Hall, but for learning and having half a chance of staying in tune, this should be a good starter instrument:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-CS40II-Classical-Guitar-Learners/dp/B005WAG84K/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=5BPZCCDGROLD&keywords=yamaha+cs40+mk+ii+three-quarter+size+classical+guitar&qid=1669618431&sprefix=cs40+mk%2Caps%2C103&sr=8-3

Speaking of staying in tune, I was going to say to buy a chromatic tuner as well but to be honest the free smartphone apps that do this are probably good enough to not bother with one now.

Edit: posted Amazon link for ease, but it's pretty cheap everywhere and you don't have to buy it from there!

A lad at work  who plays the guitar  said to get a full sized guitar for my lad?

He said it'll be hard for him, but in the long run it's the best thing for him!!!

What's your thoughts @Bellend Sebastian

44 minutes ago, Raj said:

A lad at work  who plays the guitar  said to get a full sized guitar for my lad?

He said it'll be hard for him, but in the long run it's the best thing for him!!!

Depends how old he is, how big he his (arm length) and how big his hands/fingers are?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raj said:

It's a bit tricky for me to comment as I'm not experienced in classical guitars, but with smaller size guitars generally the size reduction is most noticeable in the body, so you get a more practical sized instrument without it necessarily being that different to play. My kids have got a 3/4 size electric and an acoustic and I can play them easily enough with my big old fingers.

There's probably some truth in what your mate says, but for those starting out, especially easily distractible children, there's a case for making it as easy as possible so as not to put them off. A full size standard acoustic is a big old thing for a kid, but I don't know how manageable a full size classical would be. Also, if your boy gets really into it he'll be wanting a new guitar every ten minutes like me, so it's not like he'll be stuck with it forever anyway.

It's a shame that Sheehan's closed down, as I'd say it would be a good idea to take him to a shop and have a go on some, and whilst that takes away the Christmas present surprise element, guitar shopping is a very cool and fun thing to do if you fancy a day out.

I've not been to Guitar Guitar in Birmingham but my brother says it's good and their website says they do 3/4 Yamaha classicals so get your train tickets booked

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

It's a bit tricky for me to comment as I'm not experienced in classical guitars, but with smaller size guitars generally the size reduction is most noticeable in the body, so you get a more practical sized instrument without it necessarily being that different to play. My kids have got a 3/4 size electric and an acoustic and I can play them easily enough with my big old fingers.

There's probably some truth in what your mate says, but for those starting out, especially easily distractible children, there's a case for making it as easy as possible so as not to put them off. A full size standard acoustic is a big old thing for a kid, but I don't know how manageable a full size classical would be. Also, if your boy gets really into it he'll be wanting a new guitar every ten minutes like me, so it's not like he'll be stuck with it forever anyway.

It's a shame that Sheehan's closed down, as I'd say it would be a good idea to take him to a shop and have a go on some, and whilst that takes away the Christmas present surprise element, guitar shopping is a very cool and fun thing to do if you fancy a day out.

I've not been to Guitar Guitar in Birmingham but my brother says it's good and their website says they do 3/4 Yamaha classicals so get your train tickets booked

I agree with every single word of this post. It is 100% truth concerning first guitar purchase. Well said @Bellend Sebastian👍

• Thanks 1

Had this for over a year now but it's only since the tech made the last couple of adjustments that I've really fallen in love with it. Amazing the difference a good set up makes.

Apologies for the crap photo and mysterious stains on the sofa

Resize_20221204_093303_3855.jpg

Edited by Bellend Sebastian
  • Like 3

On 02/12/2022 at 18:45, Bellend Sebastian said:

While we're here, relic(ed) instruments, yes or no?

I know I posted that one but generally I'm a no. But I'm quite happy for a used instrument to be a bit battered

I was a no until I purchased one. I have stumbled across three of them for various reasons and they just seem nicer because they seem worn in.

Its hard to describe, one of mine is a fender masterbuilt and it’s as if it’s 50 years old.

I don’t look and analyse it in any way, but when you pick it up it’s just warmer if that makes sense.

Its small margins admittedly, but my relics are a little nicer, even though I don’t agree with the process of doing it. 

10 hours ago, Rob1742 said:

I was a no until I purchased one. I have stumbled across three of them for various reasons and they just seem nicer because they seem worn in.

Its hard to describe, one of mine is a fender masterbuilt and it’s as if it’s 50 years old.

I don’t look and analyse it in any way, but when you pick it up it’s just warmer if that makes sense.

Its small margins admittedly, but my relics are a little nicer, even though I don’t agree with the process of doing it. 

Do you think that's because of the relic-ing (?) process or just because it's a really good quality instrument? I've never played a custom shop guitar, or a reliced one or a genuinely old instrument so I would not have a clue what's going on.

This is interesting for any guitar bored that haven't seen it before:

https://guitar.com/guides/essential-guide/relic-guitars-untold-story/

• Like 1

On 02/12/2022 at 18:45, Bellend Sebastian said:

While we're here, relic(ed) instruments, yes or no?

I know I posted that one but generally I'm a no. But I'm quite happy for a used instrument to be a bit battered

I've never bought one, but do own my own 'self reliced' 

9 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Do you think that's because of the relic-ing (?) process or just because it's a really good quality instrument? I've never played a custom shop guitar, or a reliced one or a genuinely old instrument so I would not have a clue what's going on.

This is interesting for any guitar bored that haven't seen it before:

https://guitar.com/guides/essential-guide/relic-guitars-untold-story/

Okay, so I may contradict myself here, but I’ll just say it how I think it.

So I have new guitars, I have a vintage 65 strat and I have a reliced 65 strat.

Now as I’m still like not very good, I sit there and play a lot without the amps, so I am talking purely feel here. So straight away that might blast any credibility out of the water. 

1. vintage strat - owned by an excellent musician, flat frets, best feeling guitar ever, like it’s lived with someone, which it has. Absolutely amazing feel to it.

2. Reliced 65 strat masterbuilt - so the board isn’t reliced, but picking it up it feels old and worn and like you’ve had it for years. I never study it, I never look at what they have done, I just love picking it up as it feels like I’ve had it years. 

3. New guitars Suhr, Fender etc - they all feel great and I enjoy them all, but it’s just the reliced seems like an old friend.

They all sound great through the amps, however I am more interested in learning to play rather then tone at the moment so I prefer to comment on feel and sort of picking it up value rather than the tone. 

So I was dead against reliced guitars, thought they were ridiculous. I just got the master built as I didn’t want to play the vintage one too much as it’s like really special. When I got it it just felt like an old friend.

I don’t put dings in it, but it doesn’t matter if you did, so it’s kind of nicer to pick up.

Hope that makes a bit of sense, but as I say, if you want a better opinion you need to speak to someone who can play properly. 

im not that bad, but it took me a year to learn “ I need you tonight” by zz top. I’m proud as hell, but others could probably knock that out in a month or whatever. I literally took one year to do it 

11 hours ago, Rob1742 said:

Okay, so I may contradict myself here, but I’ll just say it how I think it.

So I have new guitars, I have a vintage 65 strat and I have a reliced 65 strat.

Now as I’m still like not very good, I sit there and play a lot without the amps, so I am talking purely feel here. So straight away that might blast any credibility out of the water. 

1. vintage strat - owned by an excellent musician, flat frets, best feeling guitar ever, like it’s lived with someone, which it has. Absolutely amazing feel to it.

2. Reliced 65 strat masterbuilt - so the board isn’t reliced, but picking it up it feels old and worn and like you’ve had it for years. I never study it, I never look at what they have done, I just love picking it up as it feels like I’ve had it years. 

3. New guitars Suhr, Fender etc - they all feel great and I enjoy them all, but it’s just the reliced seems like an old friend.

They all sound great through the amps, however I am more interested in learning to play rather then tone at the moment so I prefer to comment on feel and sort of picking it up value rather than the tone. 

So I was dead against reliced guitars, thought they were ridiculous. I just got the master built as I didn’t want to play the vintage one too much as it’s like really special. When I got it it just felt like an old friend.

I don’t put dings in it, but it doesn’t matter if you did, so it’s kind of nicer to pick up.

Hope that makes a bit of sense, but as I say, if you want a better opinion you need to speak to someone who can play properly. 

im not that bad, but it took me a year to learn “ I need you tonight” by zz top. I’m proud as hell, but others could probably knock that out in a month or whatever. I literally took one year to do it 

If thats how you feel then that's your reality and you should always go with what feels right for yourself (as you obviously do). IMO Playing guitar (certainly in a home environment) should be about how much enjoyment it gives you, and not about how good you think you are compared to 'others'.

Wouldn't mind seeing some pics either as it sounds like you have some lovely gear 😙

3 hours ago, Flamey said:

If thats how you feel then that's your reality and you should always go with what feels right for yourself (as you obviously do). IMO Playing guitar (certainly in a home environment) should be about how much enjoyment it gives you, and not about how good you think you are compared to 'others'.

Wouldn't mind seeing some pics either as it sounds like you have some lovely gear 😙

I tried to post a pic but the file was too big. I’ll try again later.

I agree you should never compare with others, and I remember a guy telling me that. But it’s so frustrating and slow for me. I really get annoyed and that’s an issue I have to overcome. 

You have a really valid point there, comparing is a real issue. Get over that and you can enjoy the moment. 

I suppose though I have seen people new come into it, and they have grasped it easier than me and that’s when comparing starts. 

• Like 2

On 10/12/2022 at 19:28, Rob1742 said:

I agree you should never compare with others, and I remember a guy telling me that. But it’s so frustrating and slow for me. I really get annoyed and that’s an issue I have to overcome. 

You have a really valid point there, comparing is a real issue. Get over that and you can enjoy the moment. 

I suppose though I have seen people new come into it, and they have grasped it easier than me and that’s when comparing starts. 

It’s certainly frustrating to not make as much progress as you think you ought. I’ve been going for 10 months now and still pretty poor. However, though probably a cliché, I think you do have to look back and appreciate how far you’ve come since starting, and perhaps give yourself a little credit for that and for having had the patience to persist.

I’m finding that I tend to plateau for a few weeks, and then some little piece of the jigsaw falls into place and allows me to tackle songs that previously seemed impossible. Still thrilled to be able to produce anything that sounds vaguely like music (not that my wife would agree about that though).

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 2

On 10/12/2022 at 11:28, Rob1742 said:

15 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

It’s certainly frustrating to not make as much progress as you think you ought. I’ve been going for 10 months now and still pretty poor. However, though probably a cliché, I think you do have to look back and appreciate how far you’ve come since starting, and perhaps give yourself a little credit for that and for having had the patience to persist.

I’m finding that I tend to plateau for a few weeks, and then some little piece of the jigsaw falls into place and allows me to tackle songs that previously seemed impossible. Still thrilled to be able to produce anything that sounds vaguely like music (not that my wife would agree about that though).

I always found it helpful to know somebody who was a bit better than me at playing, so you could sort of see where you were headed, which I found a lot more helpful than hanging out with a musical genius who in theory would be able to show you how to do anything but would generally just make you think, well I'll never be able to do that.

I've been playing guitar since 1995, and given how long that is I should be brilliant, and of course I'm the opposite. The graph of my progress over this period would look mad - a slow upward curve, a bit of a jump and then completely flat for 20 years before really taking off over the last couple.

The thing that's really, really helped me is YouTube. You can't learn much from a book (although all too rare ACCURATE tablature books are useful building blocks), and recently the quality of some of the free tuition and guides online has gone through the roof.

I've mentioned it before, but I always wanted to be able to play Nowhere Fast by The Smiths, but this had never been accurately tabbed anywhere and I certainly couldn't work it out.  A couple of years ago some chap puts up a high quality video of himself playing it, with accurate tab running along the bottom and 15 minutes later I can play a song I've wanted to learn for a quarter of a century all the way through

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Blarmy said:

Decisions decisions - one has to go back. The Epi sounds a tad better (maybe), looks cooler and is cheaper, but the Sire is way easier to play sitting down and will be much easier to fiddle with.

🤔

1E1538B7-E37E-4D95-AA58-8EC2579C4B55.jpeg

which one brings you more pleasure

3 hours ago, ozleicester said:

which one brings you more pleasure

Well, the viola did from a “vibe” perspective - but it’s going back. The bass is for backing tracks and my own songs only - I have no ambition to be a killer bassist. And, the Sire just plays better. Less neck dive, easier to reach low frets (even though both are 30” scale) and wider string spacing. Also, much easier to set up, which I’ve just done!

• Like 2