Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rob1742

Guitars

I had bought a Mex Strat from a friend about a year ago, but I never really liked it that much. He plays in a band and was broke at the time, so I was really just doing him a favor.

So, the other guitar player from the band has an American Tele that was pretty much unplayed as he wasn't a big fan of that.

So we swapped a $1000 Strat for a $1800 Tele with me throwing in $200.

Pretty happy with that deal so far.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I found this rat in a closet at my mom's house over Christmas with a battery that expired in 2006 that had spewed its guts. I knew it was my brother's Rat from high school and thought ok, it's a rat and now I have a rat. I knew it was a Rat 2 which they've made since the late 80s but this morning I realized it has a flat top and current production one's are slanted. And it was time to enter the rabbit hole. According to Rat serial numbers aren't great for dating but they switched to the slanted top in 2003. Not surprising that it would be made in the early 2000s. But the internet suggests the better way to date a rat is to look at the date codes on the pots. So I opened it up.

R1378835 on the pot on the upper right means it was made by CTS (137) in 1988 during the

35th week.

Just off center the black little rectangle is the famous LM308 op-amp chip which some claim make the rat a rat and newer one's with an inferior chip unworthy. Others say they can't tell a difference between the LM308 and the OP07.

Behind the wires from the input jacks there is a label attached to the pots is the name of the builder who assembled it.This particular one is a LaPEDROSKI. Supposedly the best solderer of them all went by the WOODCUTTER.

aHWp5PF.jpg

And I really liked it apart from blowing my ears off in 4 minutes.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Flamey said:

What strat and amp do you have currently?

A Vintera 60s modified, stock and a Blues Jr that came with a funky tolex, Cannabis Rex speaker and control labels that point the right way.

I really like both, the neck on the Strat in particular, but seem to spend a lot of time messing around to get the tone I want. Something I don’t remember doing with my 93 standard and Twin back in the day. The sweet spots seem hard to find and I’m not sure if it’s the amp, pick ups etc. I seem to flit back and forth between dull and shrill and it’s getting annoying 🤣

9 hours ago, Blarmy said:

A Vintera 60s modified, stock and a Blues Jr that came with a funky tolex, Cannabis Rex speaker and control labels that point the right way.

I really like both, the neck on the Strat in particular, but seem to spend a lot of time messing around to get the tone I want. Something I don’t remember doing with my 93 standard and Twin back in the day. The sweet spots seem hard to find and I’m not sure if it’s the amp, pick ups etc. I seem to flit back and forth between dull and shrill and it’s getting annoying 🤣

Can I suggest not buying any sort of digital modelling amp.

I've got a Yamaha THR30 ii but not the patience to explore its frankly bewildering range of tone options.

In other news, Jordan Guitars in Glenfield have got a 1999 natural wood body, rosewood neck telecaster in that I do not NEED but is the exact same as the one that got away when I went to buy my first proper 'expensive' guitar over 20 years ago and they'd sold the last one....

12 hours ago, Blarmy said:

Could you not borrow another guitar to try through your amp? 

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I've got a Yamaha THR30 ii but not the patience to explore its frankly bewildering range of tone options.

In other news, Jordan Guitars in Glenfield have got a 1999 natural wood body, rosewood neck telecaster in that I do not NEED but is the exact same as the one that got away when I went to buy my first proper 'expensive' guitar over 20 years ago and they'd sold the last one....

Ooh...rosewood neck tele! 🤗

Re: thrii 30, are you maybe just suffering option paralysis? I think it's easy to find a decent tone on them whatever my particular requirement.

3 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Ha, I won’t be doing that trust me. I do have a preamp and associated app with modelled power amp and speaker cab shenanigans for playing with headphones, using crazy fx etc in my DAW, but will always have a valve amp on hand that will get far more play time. 

39 minutes ago, Flamey said:

Could you not borrow another guitar to try through your amp? 

I have another guitar-  les Paul style for a different sound and also for sofa playing. To be fair this sounds fine through the blues junior but I’m a Strat (maybe tele also) guy and don’t have any others available to try.

I am starting to think it’s mainly because he amp at fault though - been playing the Strat though my DAW with a tube preamp and cab sim I bought recently and even though it’s not perfect, and I don’t want to always play through that, I can get a bit closer to the sound in my head. There’s a brittleness with the BJ that humbuckers smooth out but my Strat doesn’t.

33 minutes ago, Blarmy said:

I have another guitar-  les Paul style for a different sound and also for sofa playing. To be fair this sounds fine through the blues junior but I’m a Strat (maybe tele also) guy and don’t have any others available to try.

I am starting to think it’s mainly because he amp at fault though - been playing the Strat though my DAW with a tube preamp and cab sim I bought recently and even though it’s not perfect, and I don’t want to always play through that, I can get a bit closer to the sound in my head. There’s a brittleness with the BJ that humbuckers smooth out but my Strat doesn’t.

Hmmm.....quite the conundrum. Is there perhaps a guitar/amp store that would let you take your guitar to try other amps? 

1 hour ago, Flamey said:

Hmmm.....quite the conundrum. Is there perhaps a guitar/amp store that would let you take your guitar to try other amps? 

Yeah, good plan - could head over to Rich Tone in Sheffield and see if the amp is the problem. I kind of hope it is as I’m pretty attached to the guitar 👍🏽

• 1 month later...
On 27/01/2023 at 21:20, Flamey said:

I’ve now changed the amp and guitar body and electronics! The amp made a positive difference (Bugera V22) and swapping out half the guitar (now has a Vintera road worn body with Texas Specials) made an even bigger difference.  Didn’t like the reverb on the new amp though, so now running a UAD reverb through the FX loop.

I am now totally happy with the tones I am getting, happy days. Just have an odd selection of guitar parts and a blues junior to sell.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've borrowed my brother's Boss RC-1 Loop Station pedal to see if it's worth owning such a thing or whether I'd muck about with it for an hour before it gets consigned to a drawer for the next 15 years.

It's quite good fun, although I'd be lying if I said I'd done anything other than throw together a three guitar track version of Dos Oraguitas from the Disney film Encanto, and play Johnny Marr's solo from  Paint a vulgar picture very badly indeed over a rhythm part.

I try and think of other bits of music I like that have got more than one guitar on and the mind goes blank

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I've borrowed my brother's Boss RC-1 Loop Station pedal to see if it's worth owning such a thing or whether I'd muck about with it for an hour before it gets consigned to a drawer for the next 15 years.

It's quite good fun, although I'd be lying if I said I'd done anything other than throw together a three guitar track version of Dos Oraguitas from the Disney film Encanto, and play Johnny Marr's solo from  Paint a vulgar picture very badly indeed over a rhythm part.

I try and think of other bits of music I like that have got more than one guitar on and the mind goes blank

'consigned to a drawer for 15 years' 😂🤣 boy I know that scenario! It's where my Digitech looper is currently languishing.

I also owned one of those Trio+ pedals that auto generate drums and bass...but sold it as just couldn't get on with it.😟

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's been a year since I built my Strat and I'm already thinking about tinkering with it more. 

A little Seymour Duncan '59 Strat humbucker in the bridge? It's worth about as much as the guitar but at this stage I'm too far gone. 

image.thumb.png.a80b65ea90f34214765306fcc73eeda9.png

• Like 4

Looking for a classic guitar for my 10 year old son who is showing good signs of progression since he's been taking lesson at school.

Currently he just rents the guitar teachers but feel he should have his own.

Any recommendations for a  good one without breaking the bank, there are SO many out there?

Ive heard Yamaha C 40's are decent?

23 minutes ago, Raj said:

Looking for a classic guitar for my 10 year old son who is showing good signs of progression since he's been taking lesson at school.

Currently he just rents the guitar teachers but feel he should have his own.

Any recommendations for a  good one without breaking the bank, there are SO many out there?

Ive heard Yamaha C 40's are decent?

Yamaha are great for budget beginner guitars, but I wouldn't buy anything new. It'll likely be battered around and if he sticks with it for a few years he'll want to upgrade regardless, if he doesn't then you haven't got expensive gear gathering dust.

Pick up a second hand nylon string classical (assuming that's what he plays) from Facebook marketplace or eBay. The model you mentioned you'll get for £50-60. 

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Picked up my old bass to show my son yesterday, and it didn't work when plugged into the amp... 

Well, there's my next project. 

This was my first ever musical instrument. Have had it for more than half of my life now (got it when I was about 16), and could never bear to part with it. I think it was a Westfield bass. Changed the neck on it years ago, and added a Seymour Duncan pickup.

Peeled the old stickers off of it, and took it to pieces. Now just need to figure out what to do with it.

Will obviously rewire. May look at a new bridge. Will sand it and give it a brand spanking new paint job. Get it a new set of Ernie Ball Super Slinky strings. Voila.

Thinking of going for a hot pink coat, with a surf green over the top. Then will sand through so that the pink (and maybe even some of the bare wood) pops through from beneath. 

Compress_20230629_203654_4480.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Górnik Leicester said:

Picked up my old bass to show my son yesterday, and it didn't work when plugged into the amp... 

Well, there's my next project. 

This was my first ever musical instrument. Have had it for more than half of my life now (got it when I was about 16), and could never bear to part with it. I think it was a Westfield bass. Changed the neck on it years ago, and added a Seymour Duncan pickup.

Peeled the old stickers off of it, and took it to pieces. Now just need to figure out what to do with it.

Will obviously rewire. May look at a new bridge. Will sand it and give it a brand spanking new paint job. Get it a new set of Ernie Ball Super Slinky strings. Voila.

Thinking of going for a hot pink coat, with a surf green over the top. Then will sand through so that the pink (and maybe even some of the bare wood) pops through from beneath. 

Compress_20230629_203654_4480.jpg

Interested in seeing this progress! Also, I've got a Westfield bass up in the attic, electrics could do with upgrading but it's got a lovely neck on it, especially considering the price.