Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rob1742

Guitars

3 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Yeah, that's a nice guitar. Really unusual to see those vintage-style covered humbuckers alongside single-coils. 

I've always been such a big fan of HSS strats.

I've big time flatlined recently. 

Steady improvement since I picked up the guitar again during the first lockdown after 10 years barely touching the guitar. I think I'm better than I was originally, but I've definitely plateaued and it's putting me off. I still play regularly but I'm not learning anything new at all... Just playing the same things I'm comfortable with. 

Need to break through. 

I can only say what's worked for me, and that's the profusion of good quality tablature and in particular tuition videos on the internet. Not long ago you only had the homemade crap on the likes of Ultimate Guitar (90% of which remains awful and an active hindrance to someone trying to learn) whereas now there's Songsterr, which seems to have a minimum quality threshold, and thousands of YouTube videos where you can learn tracks from people that you can see and hear actually know how to play it.

I learned Nowhere Fast by The Smiths which I've wanted to play FOREVER, but I'd never seen tabbed out remotely accurately, in about 10 minutes, just because someone else had bothered to learn it, videoed themselves playing it AND spot on tab with it on YouTube.  Mystery unlocked, and a bit more insight into Johnny Marr's technique which makes learning his other stuff a bit easier.

I've also mentioned the Anyone Can Play Guitar YouTube channel before. Adrian's tutorials are great, and he tackles all sorts of mad stuff for whenever you want a new challenge. Accurate tabs and I think possibly even backing tracks as well available if you slip him a few quid via Patreon

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I can only say what's worked for me, and that's the profusion of good quality tablature and in particular tuition videos on the internet. Not long ago you only had the homemade crap on the likes of Ultimate Guitar (90% of which remains awful and an active hindrance to someone trying to learn) whereas now there's Songsterr, which seems to have a minimum quality threshold, and thousands of YouTube videos where you can learn tracks from people that you can see and hear actually know how to play it.

I learned Nowhere Fast by The Smiths which I've wanted to play FOREVER, but I'd never seen tabbed out remotely accurately, in about 10 minutes, just because someone else had bothered to learn it, videoed themselves playing it AND spot on tab with it on YouTube.  Mystery unlocked, and a bit more insight into Johnny Marr's technique which makes learning his other stuff a bit easier.

I've also mentioned the Anyone Can Play Guitar YouTube channel before. Adrian's tutorials are great, and he tackles all sorts of mad stuff for whenever you want a new challenge. Accurate tabs and I think possibly even backing tracks as well available if you slip him a few quid via Patreon

lol I remember all the old tab sites back in the early 00s. People would just upload things that were absolutely wrong... I guess nothing has changed.

Weirdly I've never really been that interested in learning traditional "guitar" songs - even though I'm fully aware that it's a good way to develop by expanding on existing knowledge and technique.

Because I'm largely into electronic music nowadays, I don't really listen to the tracks to give me inspiration so I turn to videos for scales and patterns to try and improve my improvisation. I came across one with John Mayer just noodling some blues pentatonic licks with some unusual shapes, and someone had done a FretLive for it. Having spent a few hours with it I felt like I'd advanced months. 

If I do songs it usually isn't your standard "guitar" stuff. At the moment I'm learning a version of Bach's "Prelude In D" and the Super Mario theme. Proper w@nker. lol

Will deffo check out the channels you mentioned though.

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

lol I remember all the old tab sites back in the early 00s. People would just upload things that were absolutely wrong... I guess nothing has changed.

Weirdly I've never really been that interested in learning traditional "guitar" songs - even though I'm fully aware that it's a good way to develop by expanding on existing knowledge and technique.

Because I'm largely into electronic music nowadays, I don't really listen to the tracks to give me inspiration so I turn to videos for scales and patterns to try and improve my improvisation. I came across one with John Mayer just noodling some blues pentatonic licks with some unusual shapes, and someone had done a FretLive for it. Having spent a few hours with it I felt like I'd advanced months. 

If I do songs it usually isn't your standard "guitar" stuff. At the moment I'm learning a version of Bach's "Prelude In D" and the Super Mario theme. Proper w@nker. lol

Will deffo check out the channels you mentioned though.

...often accompanied by a comment along the lines of 'this is my interpretation, corrections and suggestions welcome'.  My suggestion would be to actually listen to the track you're trying to transcribe and stop wasting everyone's time.

'Prelude in D'. The YouTube video suggests I've looked at this before. I know sod all about theory but I love me a bit of classical, used to go straight to that section of Total Guitar when I used to buy that.

Video game and TV themes is also completely where it's at. One of the few things I can reliably play all the way through is the old World Snooker theme (also thanks to Total Guitar)

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

'Prelude in D'. The YouTube video suggests I've looked at this before. I know sod all about theory but I love me a bit of classical, used to go straight to that section of Total Guitar when I used to buy that.

This is the exact one. From an ancient speed mechanics book by Troy Stetina, but I'm sure you can find the tab online. 

Sounds lovely, not too hard, and you can be a right culture-y bastard when someone comes over and you feel like showing off. 

Edited by RoboFox

12 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

If you keep that up I'm sure you'll see tons of progress in the months ahead.

You may have noticed this already, but improvement doesn't always come smoothly, it can be more in fits and starts and it's important not to get frustrated when things seem to 'plateau'. I've had one of my best years in terms of improving my playing more than 25 years after starting

I seem to have good days and bad days.

Now I’ve got the electric guitar I’ve been trying to practice those spider finger exercises where they move back and forth across the fret. They make it look so easy on YouTube, but I seem to find it practically impossible to do properly. Very often my brain actually seems to communicate with the wrong finger, particularly the third. After a few minutes torturing my fingers with that I usually go back to trying to play Mr Tambourine Man for the thousandth time lol

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I seem to have good days and bad days.

Now I’ve got the electric guitar I’ve been trying to practice those spider finger exercises where they move back and forth across the fret. They make it look so easy on YouTube, but I seem to find it practically impossible to do properly. Very often my brain actually seems to communicate with the wrong finger, particularly the third. After a few minutes torturing my fingers with that I usually go back to trying to play Mr Tambourine Man for the thousandth time lol

That's one of those exercises where you can concentrate far too much and it does your head in if you're not careful. Do it while watching the telly and don't worry about how well it's going, just keep on. You'll be ace in no time

• Thanks 1

I’ve just started my second upgrade on my Strat. 

Im going to be putting two fishman modern fluence humbuckers, with the charging backplate on rather than a battery. 

It’s a fiesta green 04 Mexican Strat, swapping all of the hardware out for black but keeping the white scratch plate. 

Hopefully it comes off, sounds good and looks good! 

• Like 1

On 06/07/2022 at 08:18, Pliskin said:

Im going to be putting two fishman modern fluence humbuckers, with the charging backplate on rather than a battery. 

It’s a fiesta green 04 Mexican Strat, swapping all of the hardware out for black but keeping the white scratch plate. 

Looking forward to hearing how it goes 😊 

On 04/07/2022 at 16:42, WigstonWanderer said:

Just bought a Fender Player Plus Stratocaster HSS Belair Blue. Love it.

I might have absolutely zero talent, and precious little skill, but I will have decent equipment! lol

I love the vintage humbucker/s/s look on that. Congrats on the 'untraditionall' colour too. Looks refreshing. Enjoy!!!

The paint job actually reminds me of the guitar I learnt to play on, red fading to white...although that was a crappy kayes  catalogue guitar, nothing close to a player plus.

• Thanks 1

Just bought a Fender 75th Anniversary tele in gold.

10 guitars now; the 2 dotted round the house and the 8 in the rack in the office. I think that will do me for a bit.

Still want a resonator and a few bits and my favourite is still my Gretsch or my cheapie tele; but there we are. We are happy.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Just bought a Fender 75th Anniversary tele in gold.

10 guitars now; the 2 dotted round the house and the 8 in the rack in the office. I think that will do me for a bit.

Still want a resonator and a few bits and my favourite is still my Gretsch or my cheapie tele; but there we are. We are happy.

Just the ten? Never can you have too many guitars!! I’ve recently purchased a D’angelico Deluxe. Lovely guitar! I’ll have a bigsby attached to it at some point I think. 

30 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Just the ten? Never can you have too many guitars!! I’ve recently purchased a D’angelico Deluxe. Lovely guitar! I’ll have a bigsby attached to it at some point I think. 

I know! Rookie numbers, right?

Can only play one at a time though. Thinking of moving on my epiphone custom; I do love the way it looks but its never played quite right. Always wanted to get it re-setup but maybe I let it go.

2 hours ago, Flamey said:

I love the vintage humbucker/s/s look on that. Congrats on the 'untraditionall' colour too. Looks refreshing. Enjoy!!!

The paint job actually reminds me of the guitar I learnt to play on, red fading to white...although that was a crappy kayes  catalogue guitar, nothing close to a player plus.

Yes, I was going to get the Sunburst, but this one was on special, and the more I looked at the picture, the more it grew on me and haven’t regretted it. Feel sorry for it really, it probably dreamed of a life on stage, and ended up in my study being tortured and misused by a beginner lol

On 06/07/2022 at 08:18, Pliskin said:

Good luck man. Had great fun with my project and now looking forward to the next one. Post pics. I hear great things about the Fishman Fluence range.

12 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Mate. I love the look of the D'Angelicos. I'm pretty convinced one will be my next purchase.

Is the Deluxe the one that looks like an ES-335? With the vintage humbuckers or P90-style pickups? 

I was torn between buying a PRS or a D'Angelico Bedford, and went for the former... Still have my eye on the Bob Weir Bedford. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/03/2022 at 07:42, Flamey said:

have the bug for a new guitar but need to offload some first.

How very Leicester of you!!

Let me guess … you’re trying to unload a couple beater axes you spent way too much for … and that Danish bass with the clumsy action, that simply cannot be set up to fit the way you play.

Meanwhile a billionaire who collects the best guitars but hardly even plays most of them, is offering quick money for the irreplaceable one with the lightning-quick action and the perfect tone that practically covers up your mistakes.

I feel your pain.

13 hours ago, KingsX said:

How very Leicester of you!!

Let me guess … you’re trying to unload a couple beater axes you spent way too much for … and that Danish bass with the clumsy action, that simply cannot be set up to fit the way you play.

Meanwhile a billionaire who collects the best guitars but hardly even plays most of them, is offering quick money for the irreplaceable one with the lightning-quick action and the perfect tone that practically covers up your mistakes.

I feel your pain.

🤣😂Apparently I've breached ffp on how many guitars I can own as I don't gig/make any money from them anymore!

Thinking about selling my 2 veterens who have been at the 'club' since the mid to late 80s.

MIJ Telecaster and Ibanez rg550.

• 1 month later...
On 16/08/2022 at 14:13, Izzy said:

Amazing skills :appl:

Almost as amazing as his left hand and right hand ... are his feet working his effects between each snippet, and always getting it right!

I'd love to see an inset of his pedal board as he plays all this.

Paul and Rick Beato are my two favorite music YouTubers.  I know a little music theory and play a little guitar ... they are geniuses by comparison ... and yet each of their vids leaves me feeling a little smarter, instead of a little dumber.

• Like 1