Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rob1742

Guitars

I've got the new guitar bug badly but I shouldn't buy one because it's silly and I can't justify it. So instead, I've retrieved my first guitar from my parents' house. It's a late-90s Squier Affinity Strat in sunburst which has been sat uncovered in the garage for about 20 years.

It's absolutely filthy, the plastics on it have begun to perish and break down, and the tremolo is knackered, so I'm beginning the process of stripping it down with the intention of replacing everything on it.

I understand it's not worth spending a fortune on upgrading a basic guitar, but currently it's worthless and useless. Might as well make it into a bit of a project for a couple of hundred quid and I don't plan to ever sell it. 

Pickup and electronics replacement first, with which I'll install the Gilmour mod. Gold hardware next. 

• Like 2

My Strat is going to the luthier's tomorrow as it's got what seems to be a common problem on ones from its era, where the neck has bowed beyond what can be corrected by the truss rod.

It actually plays really well, just slightly 'buzzy' in certain positions and the tech had to admit defeat.

The place I'm taking it to has seen the issue lots of times and is reasonably confident he can remedy it.

The perils of buying second hand!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

My Strat is going to the luthier's tomorrow as it's got what seems to be a common problem on ones from its era, where the neck has bowed beyond what can be corrected by the truss rod.

It actually plays really well, just slightly 'buzzy' in certain positions and the tech had to admit defeat.

The place I'm taking it to has seen the issue lots of times and is reasonably confident he can remedy it.

Is it one of these?

2 hours ago, NewEnglandFox said:

Is it one of these?

Almost certainly, it's the right era.

Thanks for that, it's really interesting, and covers some of the solutions I've read about elsewhere. I don't want to tell the guy how to do his job but I'll send that to the luthier, you never know, it might help!

• Like 1

I've got my Squier stripped down and cleaned. Underneath the crap covering the whole thing, the build quality isn't all that bad. The frets look good, and lack the sharp ends that plague many cheaper guitars - it's required minimal filing to get in shape. Some 0000 wire wool has removed the buildup and a couple of coats of lemon oil has it looking rehydrated. Frets are polished up. 

The manufacturing stamp says May 00', so I think it's one of the first models with the "fast neck" introduced in that month and it is FVCKING THIN, but I also wonder whether it might've seen more care in manufacture because it was an early model?

Seems like for a couple of years Squier went full vintage 40mm width at the nut, which is VERY thin - to the point where it's almost impossible to get hold of pre-fabricated nut replacements.

I think I'd need to get a luthier to custom make one if I needed to replace with a Tusq or bone nut. I wouldn't really feel comfortable doing it myself, even though it should be pretty easy in theory.

Edited by RoboFox

57 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

I've got my Squier stripped down and cleaned. Underneath the crap covering the whole thing, the build quality isn't all that bad. The frets look good, and lack the sharp ends that plague many cheaper guitars - it's required minimal filing to get in shape. Some 0000 wire wool has removed the buildup and a couple of coats of lemon oil has it looking rehydrated. Frets are polished up. 

The manufacturing stamp says May 00', so I think it's one of the first models with the "fast neck" introduced in that month and it is FVCKING THIN, but I also wonder whether it might've seen more care in manufacture because it was an early model?

Seems like for a couple of years Squier went full vintage 40mm width at the nut, which is VERY thin - to the point where it's almost impossible to get hold of pre-fabricated nut replacements.

I think I'd need to get a luthier to custom make one if I needed to replace with a Tusq or bone nut. I wouldn't really feel comfortable doing it myself, even though it should be pretty easy in theory.

Pictures!

Having watched someone working on a guitar in bits yesterday, I've drawn the conclusion that I'm absolutely fascinated by it

8 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Pictures!

Having watched someone working on a guitar in bits yesterday, I've drawn the conclusion that I'm absolutely fascinated by it

Thanks for showing an interest. I tried with the other half and I may as well have been talking out of my arse. 😂

Sadly I didn’t get any pics of how it was pre-strip down, but you’ll have to take my word for it… it was in a state.

Fretboard restore:
54FE0B9C-BB8B-40A7-BF41-5EB9C2755953.thumb.jpeg.5a77fa5bb51f8621b9ededc4836a25c4.jpeg

Body came out nicely, also shielded the cavity in prep for electronics. (workshop manager included for size ref)

FDE20937-A5FD-458E-9605-B054DD762DAC.thumb.jpeg.ec6fd775514e86600be611e9b3111f60.jpeg

Pickups arriving on Saturday. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Thanks for showing an interest. I tried with the other half and I may as well have been talking out of my arse. 😂

Sadly I didn’t get any pics of how it was pre-strip down, but you’ll have to take my word for it… it was in a state.

Fretboard restore:
54FE0B9C-BB8B-40A7-BF41-5EB9C2755953.thumb.jpeg.5a77fa5bb51f8621b9ededc4836a25c4.jpeg

Body came out nicely, also shielded the cavity in prep for electronics. (workshop manager included for size ref)

FDE20937-A5FD-458E-9605-B054DD762DAC.thumb.jpeg.ec6fd775514e86600be611e9b3111f60.jpeg

Pickups arriving on Saturday. 

Sweet.

Your cat looks interested, it's not just me.

What pick ups you going for?

Shielding the cavities is one of those things I've read is an easy improvement, so you wonder why they don't do it at the factory but I guess it's all about cost at the end of the day. The bloke I was talking to on Wednesday reckoned that you've got to spend getting on for Fender Custom Shop prices to get a truly 'finished' instrument, and there's a lot that can be done to improve relatively expensive guitars straight out of the factory.

I had a go on a nearly new American Pro II Strat and I have to say, it did feel really good quality even though it was only part way through being worked on

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Sweet.

Your cat looks interested, it's not just me.

What pick ups you going for?

Shielding the cavities is one of those things I've read is an easy improvement, so you wonder why they don't do it at the factory but I guess it's all about cost at the end of the day. The bloke I was talking to on Wednesday reckoned that you've got to spend getting on for Fender Custom Shop prices to get a truly 'finished' instrument, and there's a lot that can be done to improve relatively expensive guitars straight out of the factory.

I had a go on a nearly new American Pro II Strat and I have to say, it did feel really good quality even though it was only part way through being worked on

I think most guitars come with at least shielding paint covering the cavity - I have a relatively inexpensive Epiphone that does. I suppose this Squier being budget and at this point pretty old, it just wasn't the done thing. I enjoyed doing it immensely. Really satisfying. 

I've got some Ironstone pickups (hand wound in Rutland) coming. They're relatively inexpensive as he imports the parts, but they come highly recommended. I considered Seymour Duncan or Fender US, but the price point was just too much. It's still only a Squier. 

I used to own an '04 American Strat and it was the "feel" of the guitar that made the difference. The neck was superb. 

Edited by RoboFox

19 hours ago, RoboFox said:

I think most guitars come with at least shielding paint covering the cavity - I have a relatively inexpensive Epiphone that does. I suppose this Squier being budget and at this point pretty old, it just wasn't the done thing. I enjoyed doing it immensely. Really satisfying. 

I've got some Ironstone pickups (hand wound in Rutland) coming. They're relatively inexpensive as he imports the parts, but they come highly recommended. I considered Seymour Duncan or Fender US, but the price point was just too much. It's still only a Squier. 

I used to own an '04 American Strat and it was the "feel" of the guitar that made the difference. The neck was superb. 

Let us know how it turns out!

Not heard of that brand of pickup, but if they turn out to be a genuine upgrade they're a bargain, aren't they?

Pickup upgrades are one of those things I'm never quite sure what you're actually getting for the money - I had a humbucker put in the neck of one of my teles years ago and I've always been a bit underwhelmed by the difference it made

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Let us know how it turns out!

Not heard of that brand of pickup, but if they turn out to be a genuine upgrade they're a bargain, aren't they?

Pickup upgrades are one of those things I'm never quite sure what you're actually getting for the money - I had a humbucker put in the neck of one of my teles years ago and I've always been a bit underwhelmed by the difference it made

Yeah the difference can be negligible TBH, but the stock pickups are basic, rusty import ceramic single coils. As budget as you can get. Theoretically even by just upgrading them to Alnico pickups which the Ironstone ones are (plus the shitty pots and adding a Gilmour mod) there should be a noticeable tonal improvement.

I've never owned a Tele, but I've always liked HSS Strats. Higher output pickups in the bridge are great. 

Will post a pic once it's done. :fc:

• Like 2

On 14/03/2022 at 16:32, Bellend Sebastian said:

What Luthier did you go to? 

I had an old 80s Jazzmaster that had a seriously warped neck and the chaps at 'Leicestershire Luthiers' sorted it out like a dream.

1 minute ago, Flamey said:

What Luthier did you go to? 

I had an old 80s Jazzmaster that had a seriously warped neck and the chaps at 'Leicestershire Luthiers' sorted it out like a dream.

That's where it's residing at this very moment.

It might be there a while as I think it's still moving around a bit, so we're going to see if it settles down. He said there are a few things he might try, and I'm more than happy to let him experiment.

They seem like really nice folk

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

That's where it's residing at this very moment.

It might be there a while as I think it's still moving around a bit, so we're going to see if it settles down. He said there are a few things he might try, and I'm more than happy to let him experiment.

They seem like really nice folk

You are in VERY safe hands, also Dan is a big Foxes fan :thumbup:

for no particular reason here is my JM they sorted.

20180211_172957.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Good to hear!

That's a very beautiful thing. I've never even picked a Jazzmaster or Jaguar up, what's it like?

I have since sold this guitar, tbh I didn't get on with the bridge too well (which most likely gives it its unique tone), I also had a jaguar many years ago and experienced similar feelings regarding the bridge. If I had one again I would definitely swap out the bridge for staytrem...I did this more recently on a fender vi bass and it Cured all its ills. Or just get a hardtail version.

26 minutes ago, Flamey said:

I have since sold this guitar, tbh I didn't get on with the bridge too well (which most likely gives it its unique tone), I also had a jaguar many years ago and experienced similar feelings regarding the bridge. If I had one again I would definitely swap out the bridge for staytrem...I did this more recently on a fender vi bass and it Cured all its ills. Or just get a hardtail version.

I love the way they sound but I get the impression they can be troublesome.

My friend's daughter is in a band and she's got a Jazzmaster that has given her some problems and she's been told that she's been playing it too hard, and it's "not the right instrument for her style". I don't know if this is correct but it makes me want to hear their stuff!

Just now, Bellend Sebastian said:

I love the way they sound but I get the impression they can be troublesome.

My friend's daughter is in a band and she's got a Jazzmaster that has given her some problems and she's been told that she's been playing it too hard, and it's "not the right instrument for her style". I don't know if this is correct but it makes me want to hear their stuff!

That's interesting and echoes my experience, being heavy on the strum can displace the string placement on the (poorly engineered stock bridge), a staytrem bridge overcomes this. I do love the design of them otherwise. 

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Alright, here it is. The finished build. 

A useless, bow-necked, broken 90s Squier restored to full glory and sits proudly alongside the others. Really pumped about how it's come out TBH. Looks great too. I love the combo of gold, black and sunburst with vintage pickup / knob covers. 

All gold hardware with Hipshot locking staggered tuners, new bridge and tremolo, Ironstone pickups, a full electronics switch out and the addition of a Gilmour mod and bridge blend for maximum tonal range (3-way switch visible in 2nd pic) 

image.thumb.jpeg.6a6a770b3434a635cecf143298fb252c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d668a89b2abc4451ab67a7dcfad2cb00.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3d02089a3657cf9a188d9d3a9432783a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8251cbbafd93eb61244af4c718787479.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2235e2fe67d5370013a44d23a10063aa.jpeg

That looks great.

Has the work you've done made much difference to how it plays and sounds?

I get my Strat back this week, pretty excited about that

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

That looks great.

Has the work you've done made much difference to how it plays and sounds?

I get my Strat back this week, pretty excited about that

Thanks mate.

It sounds as good as any Strat I’ve owned (1x MIM, 1x American). Much more versatile too.

I was a bit worried about the playability as I couldn’t get the action right with the truss rod and bridge saddles, the tension also meant it was hard to bend, so I took it to someone I know who gave it a neck shim which allowed me to set up the guitar correctly.

It now plays fantastically. At least as good as a MIM, the only thing holding it back from matching the US Strat is the fret work - they’re slightly uneven in places and a bit worn (not that I really notice TBH - I’m too shit). There’s no point in getting them redone on that really. It’s fine.

Takes a bit of getting used to though with my sausage fingers. With a 40mm nut it’s minuscule width compared to that PRS and G-400. lol

• Like 3

Anybody able to recommend a good but cheap effects pedal power supply?

Quite fancy buying some cheap mini pedals as an occasional not-break-the-bank thing to entertain myself with, and these generally have to have a 9v input as they don't have space for a battery. You can buy a daisy chain from about fifteen quid but the impression I get is that non isolated supplies like this can be a bit noisy. Hoping something half decent can be had for not much cash

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/catalog/239741_the-ultimate-fender-guitar-collection/?page=1&sort=-currentBid

I went down to the show day for this auction today. It's a weird setup online across 3 auction sites and you can leave bids in person. No in person bidding on Auction Day. The room couldn't hold it, or maybe covid is an excuse. So I left bids on 4 or 5 pedals I don't even remember.

Some absolultely crazy stuff. 2 Blackguards, a 55 esquire, a Hiwatt, a Fender doubleneck Bass VI/ Jag which was suposedly made for EVH.

I met the owner. Rather unassuming local business guy. He owns a local restaurant with the dentist my sister in law works for but I didn't know that then. But that doesn't exactly explain where all this gear came from. Obviously he was trying to sell me on the stuff, but frankly a boss GE-7 is just an equalizer to me whether or not it was made in Japan. I didn't have the heart to leave a low ball offer on the Vibroking in front of him though. Didn't like him either.

• Like 1