Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rob1742

Guitars

I have;

Gibson les paul standard circa 2004

2 Fender Strats one which I've modified with a cool rail in the bridge and two quarter pounder's and one american standard

Fender Coronado

Fender telecaster

Jose Ramirez flamenco guitar.

Just got myself a Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister too, fabulous bit of kit!

• Like 4

Current stable is:

Fender Telecaster (mij bought in mid 80s)

Fender Strat (Mia  performer)

Ibanez rg550 (89)

Epiphone plustop pro LP

Fender Sonoran Acoustic 

Squier bass vi

Westfield (cheap) bass 

Mostly set up by Dan at 'Leicestershire luthiers' great bloke and huge foxes fan!🎸:scarf:

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 21/01/2020 at 11:28, Dr Marco said:

New guitar pedal received today:

#GreenDay

Green Day.jpg

I was looking at these the other day. They're reviewed pretty highly, although I couldn't believe how expensive they are. These first production run ones are going for upwards of £220?! 

How is it?

Has anyone got any experience with guitar modding / building? 

I've got an OLD Squier Strat (my first ever guitar) which is currently sat in a cupboard. It's had a broken bridge for about 15 years and is unplayable.

I'm thinking of buying some locking tuners and a new tremolo, a new nut, and replacing the electronics and popping in some decent pickups to see if I can get it sounding half-decent.

Modded strats have no resale value, but as a little project I think it could be fun. 

8 hours ago, RoboFox said:

I was looking at these the other day. They're reviewed pretty highly, although I couldn't believe how expensive they are. These first production run ones are going for upwards of £220?! 

How is it?

I got mine (second hand) for 90 quids

it's great! I've only played when I come around and basket case but this is really good

• 1 month later...

Has anyone been using this  lockdown to improve their guitar playing? Or to complete any  guitar projects???

I finally got round round to finishing my bass vi project, shimmed the neck, new scratchplate, staytrem bridge, strings, setup etc..  really pleased with it.

20200328_154717.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Flamey said:

Has anyone been using this  lockdown to improve their guitar playing? Or to complete any  guitar projects???

I finally got round round to finishing my bass vi project, shimmed the neck, new scratchplate, staytrem bridge, strings, setup etc..  really pleased with it.

20200328_154717.jpg

I've certainly been playing a lot more guitar with the lockdown. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/04/2020 at 07:11, Flamey said:

That looks great! 

I've recently started playing again after pretty much a 10-year hiatus. I don't know what brought it on, but for some reason I've just fallen back in love with guitars again.

The lockdown is the perfect opportunity to spend some much-needed time on practicing. 

I've just re-set up my electric and it's sounding and playing great. Now I'm starting to think about new instruments, since I sold most of mine over the years. :whistle:

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 3

Has anyone played a recent Squier? When I first started playing in the early 00's they were a joke and a far cry from the Japan-made instruments in the 1980s. (my first guitar was a Squier and is still broken and collecting dust in a cupboard)

However it seems they've had a real resurgence, and are much better quality instruments these days. I've seen lots to indicate that some high-end Squiers are have much better specs than some Mexican-made Fenders

Edited by RoboFox

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

Has anyone played a recent Squier? When I first started playing in the early 00's they were a joke and a far cry from the Japan-made instruments in the 1980s. (my first guitar was a Squier and is still broken and collecting dust in a cupboard)

However it seems they've had a real resurgence, and are much better quality instruments these days. I've seen lots to indicate that some high-end Squiers are have much better specs than some Mexican-made Fenders

Played a few recently, IMO, the high end ones are just as good as Mexicans! I've got a super rare FSR Ryan Jarman signature and it's well good. I've also heard nothing but good reviews from the J Mascis signature squier.

If I'm looking at cheaper guitars I always tend to be drawn to Epiphones, I personally feel you get a better guitar for your money but I suppose it depends what you want out of it soundwise.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, FerrisBueller said:

Played a few recently, IMO, the high end ones are just as good as Mexicans! I've got a super rare FSR Ryan Jarman signature and it's well good. I've also heard nothing but good reviews from the J Mascis signature squier.

If I'm looking at cheaper guitars I always tend to be drawn to Epiphones, I personally feel you get a better guitar for your money but I suppose it depends what you want out of it soundwise.

Yeah, that J Mascis Jazzmaster looks great although I don't like the scratchguard on it. The entire Classic Vibe range look brilliant, too. I came across this video where a guy has done spec comparisons, with surprising results - new high-end Squiers have bone nuts, for example whereas the none but the American series of Fenders have that.

I love Epiphones, but I already own a G400 Custom. 

I used to own a 2003 American Strat in Chrome Blue - great instrument, but I flogged it. My next guitar will either be a mid-range Fender (or high-end Squier) or a PRS SE. 

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, RoboFox said:

Yeah, that J Mascis Jazzmaster looks great although I don't like the scratchguard on it. The entire Classic Vibe range look brilliant, too. I came across this video where a guy has done spec comparisons, with surprising results - new high-end Squiers have bone nuts, for example whereas the none but the American series of Fenders have that.

I love Epiphones, but I already own a G400 Custom. 

I used to own a 2003 American Strat in Chrome Blue - great instrument, but I flogged it. My next guitar will either be a mid-range Fender (or high-end Squier) or a PRS SE. 

They are genuinely decent guitars nowadays, I also played a squier mustang (one of the classic vibe ones you mentioned, and that was pretty decent too!

Is that the SG one with the 3 pickups? If so I used to have one of these and I regret selling it every day.

You can get pretty lucky nowadays if you buy second hand, I got a Mexican strat for £200 somehow. (I think it was a wife selling off a husband's guitar) :facepalm:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FerrisBueller said:

They are genuinely decent guitars nowadays, I also played a squier mustang (one of the classic vibe ones you mentioned, and that was pretty decent too!

Is that the SG one with the 3 pickups? If so I used to have one of these and I regret selling it every day.

You can get pretty lucky nowadays if you buy second hand, I got a Mexican strat for £200 somehow. (I think it was a wife selling off a husband's guitar) :facepalm:

Yep, that's the one. I saw it in what was then Academy Of Sound on Humberstone Gate. I'd never seen anything like it before, picked it up and never looked back.

epiphone-g400-sg-custom-3-pickup-256200.

11 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Yep, that's the one. I saw it in what was then Academy Of Sound on Humberstone Gate. I'd never seen anything like it before, picked it up and never looked back.

epiphone-g400-sg-custom-3-pickup-256200.

Oh man, such a beauty. This has opened wounds I thought had healed :(

I think they are actually relatively rare these days, I've seen them going for a lot more than I sold it for.