Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rob1742

Guitars

5 hours ago, RoboFox said:

With seemingly 0 guitar techs in operation at the moment, does anyone have any experience with setups?

I'm fine setting up an older guitar, but a brand new one... I'm a bit more apprehensive.

The action on my new SE Custom 24 is too high for my liking: about 1.75 on the 1st string. I prefer it to be quite a bit lower.

Neck relief seems OK.. I think, but I'm not going near the PRS floating tremolo. Seems like there's a load of horror stories about knackering the knife-edge, damaging the body etc.

Theres an article I have found, didn't know if I was allowed to post links🤔

Screenshot_20200512-195542_Chrome.jpg

4 hours ago, Wolfboy said:

I’m wanting to buy a classical guitar but I’ve got no idea what I’m looking for.  Really want to get into playing more bosa nova/jazz to develop new ideas on my electric. Anyone got any ideas on what would be best? :)

Most classical guitars have higher action that isn't suitable for jazz...although I know someone with a nylon strung Contreras and he flies on it - (they ain't cheap though). Flamenco guitars are also an option but can lack the depth. Cordobas aren't too expensive snd play and sound great. Take a look at the C5. Or why not go for something a bit larger than a classical or parlour? - maybe an auditorium size for a bit of versatility. John DeAngelico's range are worth exploring because they are derived from the original custom handmade specifications of a jazz acoustic. The Gramercy series are nice (it's a New York City company).

Perhaps experiment with a hollow body electric, maybe a Gretsch? - if you want something really trad, you could consider a Gibson L5 copy? 

Edited by Line-X
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, RoboFox said:

With seemingly 0 guitar techs in operation at the moment, does anyone have any experience with setups?

I'm fine setting up an older guitar, but a brand new one... I'm a bit more apprehensive.

The action on my new SE Custom 24 is too high for my liking: about 1.75 on the 1st string. I prefer it to be quite a bit lower.

Neck relief seems OK.. I think, but I'm not going near the PRS floating tremolo. Seems like there's a load of horror stories about knackering the knife-edge, damaging the body etc.

Google Howard Smith. He is in Clarendon Park area. He will set it up to your liking. Think it will be around £40.  There are numerous about if you google luthiers Leicester and if he isn’t in the right area there are others that you are visible on his web page.

I find this topic a bit strange as I find my Suhr a bit higher than my others action wise, but speaking to someone a store manager he said Suhr always come perfect so I am wondering whether it’s just me. I am taking a guitar from them this week so they will look at my Suhr and see if it’s that or I am being odd. 

If you take it to Howard, you tend to lose the guitar for a week or so, so my thought next time is to say to him something like “ tell me what day you plan to do it and I’ll bring it in the day before” 

Throughout lockdown this has been my closest companion. I swear to God, were it not for the fact that it's virtually impossible to put the thing down, it should be hung on a wall and admired as a piece of exquisite artisanal beauty and a work of art. IMG_20200520_080434849.thumb.jpg.e92880049c8c5adfc71db02ea9e7d4ea.jpgIMG_20200520_225733359.thumb.jpg.fa0bb932f5929b1063a7ba19b35b7508.jpg

• Like 4

What premiership club colours make the most attractive guitars? Bear with me on this....🤪 only ever at work or in the house nowadays so mind tends to wander and wonder......I'll try to do all twenty .....at some point...but here's a start!

20200523_203841.jpg

20200523_204201.jpg

20200523_204853.jpg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Flamey said:

What premiership club colours make the most attractive guitars? Bear with me on this....🤪 only ever at work or in the house nowadays so mind tends to wander and wonder......I'll try to do all twenty .....at some point...but here's a start!

20200523_204853.jpg

That’s one beautiful guitar :thumbup:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, goody2028 said:

That’s one beautiful guitar :thumbup:

I actually own this guitar (not the stock photo one) here's mine (without scratchplate) at the moment....I leant it to a friend.....then all this lockdown happened and I haven't seen it since! Missing it☹ it's an epi not a gibson but it sounds fantastic!!

20200523_215243.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Flamey said:

@Dr Marco my crappy football strip/guitar colour post is mostly down to your gorgeous GC telecaster, it reminded me about SC/HB teles....and the Sonic Blue 'man city' tele I liked the look of!😂...I've sullied it now though😟

In Feb 1965, at the start of the 'Help' sessions, Beatles roadie and general 'gofer' Mal Evans was despatched by John Lennon to buy a pair of Fender Stratocasters. He returned two matching Sonic Blue Fender Strats for John Lennon and George Harrison. There aren't that many shots of them being used in the studio this is during the recording of Rubber Soul, probably 'Nowhere Man':

12d6e46c1b156efbf227d7b3fa383e56.thumb.jpg.4085d7a4d42aa81b04deb78d342fc9a2.jpg

...1966 Revolver sessions:

1589984656_harrisonstrat2.jpg.4941ed494fa9c7de8fb3ba0d78ecd676.jpg

Harrison custom painted his and christened it Rocky:

8707.thumb.jpg.306a935e02e820b923f864161f509213.jpg

..and it is now the property of his son Dhani:

dhaniharrison_5695.jpg.8c2e7d422c3bc9fdf8cb2a5595790aed.jpg

The last shot that I can think of capturing Lennon's was taken of Harrison playing it during the recording of 'How Do You Sleep' off Lennon's Imagine album. 

vlcsnap-2018-10-30-18h40m16s770.png.908314cf036a36d5865b4adcbbfdcc6b.png

• Like 3

Football club guitars? I was going to suggest Hank Marvin's strat, but surely no self-respecting football club on the planet wishing to remain credible would adopt a salmon pink strip??? - would they???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

Football club guitars? I was going to suggest Hank Marvin's strat, but surely no self-respecting football club on the planet wishing to remain credible would adopt a salmon pink strip??? - would they???

Ha! 🤣

I was going to roll out a Shell Pink / 3rd kit at some point👍