Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rob1742

Guitars

2 hours ago, Flamey said:

So....mostly valve then! Hope you are locked down on a farm!!😀 very nice amps though! I also have a boss nextone for a bit more beef (almost embarrassed to admit after the Marshall and Vox gorgeousness)

That Marshall (war) head is tonally quite versatile. It growls live and the triple channel does give a range of options even though the effects loops don't work properly. The JCM2000 TSL was an attempt to compete with Mesa Boogie as I recall - Marshall kept raising the stakes. This thing is very, very loud, but it's hard to dial in and is over complicated. Although not a high gain amp like the 2000, I much, much prefer the touch sensitivity, control, response, traditional warmth and preamp of my old JCM800/fullstack.

I almost entirely play acoustics now - and actually, my dreadnought is loud. Sit in the garden with a beer and noodle about on a Martin 000-15 instead, so as not to annoy the neighbours. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, FerrisBueller said:

Here's my Mustang Bass, as you can see I'm always attracted to the brighter colours :D

IMG_0988.JPG

That's delightfully unusual. The headstock looks identical to a Precision. 

1 minute ago, Line-X said:

That's delightfully unusual. The headstock looks identical to a Precision. 

I love it, I've been playing a Fender Jazz for most of my playing life, but it suddenly dawned on me that I'd probably get on better with a short scale due to my fairly small hands (insert penis joke here).

I love these new(ish) mustangs, both Precision and Jazz pickups so I don't feel like I'm compromising on tone too much.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, FerrisBueller said:

I love it, I've been playing a Fender Jazz for most of my playing life, but it suddenly dawned on me that I'd probably get on better with a short scale due to my fairly small hands (insert penis joke here).

I love these new(ish) mustangs, both Precision and Jazz pickups so I don't feel like I'm compromising on tone too much.

Short scale guitars are richer in tone in my opinion, particularly a bass - easier to play too. 

2 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Short scale guitars are richer in tone in my opinion, particularly a bass - easier to play too. 

I think you're right, they cut through really well and sound nice and twangy with a pick, I just sometimes feel like the low end can get a bit lost at times when playing with fingers. (Blame the sound guy)

It's made such a difference in terms of playability, feels like playing a ukulele after playing a Jazz for so many years!

14 hours ago, Flamey said:

So.....what amps are people using to accompany these beautiful guitars?  I'm currently using a mimiq pedal into a Yamaha Thr10c & a THRii 30, both amps sound brilliant and totally acceptable for lockdown volume level requirements (ie the neighbour's are in all the time)👍

Here is the amp, with a couple at the side that wasn’t quite right, this one I think is pretty good. 

7E57C7BB-1D19-43A3-9A60-29116ED97935.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rob1742 said:

Here is the amp, with a couple at the side that wasn’t quite right, this one I think is pretty good. 

Whoa! Is that the 50w runt? Those things have got some punch ....so classy looking. EL34 tubes yes? 

• Like 1

A Roland Cube I brought off my brother for my lad, and even though it's tiny I still get told off by my wife for it being too loud. There's a Marshall AVT 50 in the loft which hasn't been turned on since 2011, which I genuinely can't remember if it's any good.

I'd love a small amp that doesn't sound shit. I bought the Marshall when the Fender something or other I really fancied was just too darn loud for home use.

I know it's hard to tell from a YouTube video but the small Blackstar combined look really good for the money

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Whoa! Is that the 50w runt? Those things have got some punch ....so classy looking. EL34 tubes yes? 

It’s the 20w Runt. I haven’t a clue about it, my tutor told me to get this one. He gave me three to choose from but I went for this as it does look stunning. 

10 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

A Roland Cube I brought off my brother for my lad, and even though it's tiny I still get told off by my wife for it being too loud. There's a Marshall AVT 50 in the loft which hasn't been turned on since 2011, which I genuinely can't remember if it's any good.

I'd love a small amp that doesn't sound shit. I bought the Marshall when the Fender something or other I really fancied was just too darn loud for home use.

I know it's hard to tell from a YouTube video but the small Blackstar combined look really good for the money

I have just taken a 5w blackstar that i “believe” is a pretty good small amp. You are quite welcome to have a look at it once the lockdown is over. I got it as my Friedman isn’t ideal with the family around and I can plug the blackstar in on the sofa. Quite welcome to take a look if you want to try before you order one. I got it at a good price too, it was £300 when most are advertised at £379 I think?? It came from Germany and was here within a week. 

2 minutes ago, Rob1742 said:

It’s the 20w Runt. I haven’t a clue about it, my tutor told me to get this one. He gave me three to choose from but I went for this as it does look stunning. 

Very classy - nice tone. The 20 watt lacks the headroom on clean but surprisingly good sounding distortion. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

A Roland Cube I brought off my brother for my lad, and even though it's tiny I still get told off by my wife for it being too loud. 

I'd love a small amp that doesn't sound shit. 

This is the reason I have a Yamaha THR in my arsenal, (well 2 now actually), my girlfriend actually approves of me keeping it in the living room because of its looks and to me it kicks out some very nice sounds at low volumes. The thr30ii also has a wireless system (so no trailing cable), it also has stereo line out which is handy for my recording setup. Also, it has a rechargeable battery so I can use in the garden as an amp or as a decent bluetooth speaker. It suits my requirements well!!   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rob1742 said:

I have just taken a 5w blackstar that i “believe” is a pretty good small amp. You are quite welcome to have a look at it once the lockdown is over. I got it as my Friedman isn’t ideal with the family around and I can plug the blackstar in on the sofa. Quite welcome to take a look if you want to try before you order one. I got it at a good price too, it was £300 when most are advertised at £379 I think?? It came from Germany and was here within a week. 

Nice one. Which one is it? None of the amp manufacturers have particularly straightforward model ranges, do they?

5 hours ago, Flamey said:

This is the reason I have a Yamaha THR in my arsenal, (well 2 now actually), my girlfriend actually approves of me keeping it in the living room because of its looks and to me it kicks out some very nice sounds at low volumes. The thr30ii also has a wireless system (so no trailing cable), it also has stereo line out which is handy for my recording setup. Also, it has a rechargeable battery so I can use in the garden as an amp or as a decent bluetooth speaker. It suits my requirements well!!   

And with this you've introduced me to a whole class of amplification I wasn't previously aware of. That's a pretty good looking piece of kit too, isn't it?

Generally in life I'm not bothered about things being wireless, but with guitars I can see the appeal.

Read a review of the Boss Katana Air this morning. A boring black box (and not cheap), but the things it can do are astonishing.

I should probably look to see if Marshall do anything similar as I've half a chance of getting a deal on their kit

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Nice one. Which one is it? None of the amp manufacturers have particularly straightforward model ranges, do they?

And with this you've introduced me to a whole class of amplification I wasn't previously aware of. That's a pretty good looking piece of kit too, isn't it?

Generally in life I'm not bothered about things being wireless, but with guitars I can see the appeal.

Read a review of the Boss Katana Air this morning. A boring black box (and not cheap), but the things it can do are astonishing.

I should probably look to see if Marshall do anything similar as I've half a chance of getting a deal on their kit

HT R5 M2 is the blackstar model. 

18 hours ago, Rob1742 said:

Rob, I think you have a gear addiction. And I’m totally envious. 

• Like 1

Also, just to go off on a tangent slightly.

Does anyone understand why someone would pay a fortune for the Fender custom shop relic models? “Hey, here’s £2,000, knacker my guitar for me.”

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

Also, just to go off on a tangent slightly.

Does anyone understand why someone would pay a fortune for the Fender custom shop relic models? “Hey, here’s £2,000, knacker my guitar for me.”

Aaaah...the old relic debate...I think it's a marmite scenario...I think some people think it makes you look like a more serious player maybe?  Thinking Rory Gallagher on this...however he had the chops to back it up and it wasnt like that when he got it I assume😃 would I pay that premium for someone to ding my guitar to hell....not personally. But if it floats someone's boat, then fine.

Edited by Flamey
Grammar!
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Not sure if Marshall do anything similar tbh, I think they are generally referred to as desktop amps though if you do some Googling. Not what I'd pick for live, but my days of playing the Princess Charlotte aren't going to happen again anytime soon! 😂.....😔