Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rob1742

Guitars

• 3 weeks later...

My collection as follows:-

Old nylon string spanish acoustic - now lives in the loft.

Candy Apple Red Antoria Strat copy - refitted with Fender hardware.

Vintage SG copy - really cheap but surprisingly good for the money.

Takamine G-Series Semi-Acoustic - now the one that I play the most, mostly because the two electric have really crackly pots.

Thinking about getting a MIM Telecaster, but still got to justify the money, seeing as I'm still no better than when I started 30 odd years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I play with a couple of local covers bands. I have a Squier Telecaster, a Line 6 Variax, a Fender American Special Strat, a Fender Mexican Strat,  a Gretsch Streamliner, a Yamaha Pacifica, a Yamaha electro-acoustic, an Epiphone 12-string acoustic, a Fender dreadnaught acoustic and an electro-acoustic bass, the name of whose manufacturer escapes me.

On 24/10/2018 at 14:00, Don't Spook The Fox said:

My collection as follows:-

Old nylon string spanish acoustic - now lives in the loft.

Candy Apple Red Antoria Strat copy - refitted with Fender hardware.

Vintage SG copy - really cheap but surprisingly good for the money.

Takamine G-Series Semi-Acoustic - now the one that I play the most, mostly because the two electric have really crackly pots.

Thinking about getting a MIM Telecaster, but still got to justify the money, seeing as I'm still no better than when I started 30 odd years ago.

The Antoria copies that I have played have been exceptional. 

• 2 months later...

Hi all, just found this thread.  Always had a crappy acoustic lying about but never played it more than a few chords.  The last few months I have been playing every day and getting into it.  Looking to by a cheap(ish) affordable electric guitar of good quality but don't really want to buy the usual "beginner" Les Paul special/100, etc.  Being a sad Velvet Underground fan would love a Gretsch hollow Body but out of my current price range.  Fancy something a bit different, probably vintage, but still decent.  Would be grateful for any input at all.  X

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

Hi all, just found this thread.  Always had a crappy acoustic lying about but never played it more than a few chords.  The last few months I have been playing every day and getting into it.  Looking to by a cheap(ish) affordable electric guitar of good quality but don't really want to buy the usual "beginner" Les Paul special/100, etc.  Being a sad Velvet Underground fan would love a Gretsch hollow Body but out of my current price range.  Fancy something a bit different, probably vintage, but still decent.  Would be grateful for any input at all.  X

It's worth a look at the Antoria 1970s range when they operated out of the Fujigen plant which produced Ibanez and purely imported to the UK. The 60s models were made in Bavaria. Not a Gretsch, but they produced a beautiful Gibson L5 replica and in the 80s, what they called the jazzmaster which you can pick up quite cheaply. I also had a gorgeous Antoria 335 copy - one of the best guitars I ever owned. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

It's worth a look at the Antoria 1970s range when they operated out of the Fujigen plant which produced Ibanez and purely imported to the UK. The 60s models were made in Bavaria. Not a Gretsch, but they produced a beautiful Gibson L5 replica and in the 80s, what they called the jazzmaster which you can pick up quite cheaply. I also had a gorgeous Antoria 335 copy - one of the best guitars I ever owned. 

Thank you! I'll take a look. 

11 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Thank you! I'll take a look. 

Production is out of S Korea and China now - I have no idea about the product anymore. However, the 70s models I can vouch for. See what you can pick up - and take an experienced guitar player with you. Shit thing is, that the second hand market is all online and largely extinct from the provincial High Street. A visit to London is always beneficial. Denmark Street. Go talk to them. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've got about 6 here and there including a dobro resonator that I intended to learn slide blues on but found it really hard.  My fav is my 1960s Eko Ranger 12 string.  

I've been playing for about 30 years but I learned to play the same way that someone might learn to type.  I had a mate my late teens that could silence any room just by playing, he was brilliant and I hated him for it.  I could play the exact same thing in that same room and people would tell me to put it away.  I would have dearly loved to have had musical talent.  

Did I mention that I also have a magnificent organ?  :ph34r:

Edited by murphy

1 hour ago, murphy said:

I've got about 6 here and there including a dobro resonator that I intended to learn slide blues on but found it really hard.  My fav is my 1960s Eko Ranger 12 string.  

I've been playing for about 30 years but I learned to play the same way that someone might learn to type.  I had a mate my late teens that could silence any room just by playing, he was brilliant and I hated him for it.  I could play the exact same thing in that same room and people would tell me to put it away.  I would have dearly loved to have had musical talent.  

Did I mention that I also have a magnificent organ?  :ph34r:

I also have one. I use it as my main acoustic, too. Sounds lovely.

Apart from that, I only have a Gibson SG left. At one time I owned a 50th Anniversary American Strat, cost me a fortune but I had to sell it to fund an internship when I first moved to London along with an Epiphone 1961 reissue Les Paul.

I barely play anymore which is a shame. The muscle memory is still there, but I've forgotten pretty much everything else - also it hurts, because all the calluses have disappeared on my now lovely moisturised hands.

I'm still active making electronic music and it was part of my New Years resolution to buy a new guitar to motivate me to play again, maybe get some lessons... Needless to say, that's gone t*ts up. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Line-X said:

That must have sounded beautiful. 

Yeah man, it was versatile. The soap bar humbuckers has a great output, but they were too noisy.

Also had an old fashioned fixed bridge, and the action was a little too high.

Still liked it though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 17/02/2019 at 21:15, RumbleFox said:

Toying with buying a Washburn hollowbody that I saw in a Cash Generator.  Looks beautiful and seems to play well.  Anyone had any experience on one?  X

I don’t have a Washburn hollowbody but I have a Washburn parlour acoustic and and old dimbag sig electric and I really like both. My only fault is the stock pickups in the dime were a bit naff. 

If it looks nice and plays nice you can’t be going too far wrong. Have they let you plug it in to an amp to check all of the electrics? 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This is an amp post, not an axe post.

I learned on a 1970-ish SG a bud left with me for a couple of  years.  I hooked it up through my stereo.  Never got any good, but had some fun and built up mean calluses.  A few years ago, the Mrs thought I might enjoy getting back into it and bought me this Luna Apollo.  Old habits … I hooked it up through my stereo.  It sounded like nothing, and I put it away.

I knew I was wasting an instrument too good for me, and decided to see what I could get for a cheap used amp.  Instead I discovered this little thing called a Blackstar Fly.  It’s got a lovely transparent tone.  Plus a delay circuit you can adjust for volume and time; and gain and “overdrive” controls to produce all kinds of buzz, reverb and filth.  At only 6 watts it’s freaking loud if you turn it up.  Did I mention it was all of 80 bucks new?  And comes in a box 5” x 7” x 10”.

No doubt good practice amps are old news to you musical types?  But I was blown away they are now so tiny and cheap.  If you have an electric gathering dust …

amp.JPG.f7af11b5869fb47dd374ab904aa88b87.JPG

p.s. how goes it on your Gretsch @RumbleFox ?

• Like 3

22 hours ago, KingsX said:

This is an amp post, not an axe post.

I learned on a 1970-ish SG a bud left with me for a couple of  years.  I hooked it up through my stereo.  Never got any good, but had some fun and built up mean calluses.  A few years ago, the Mrs thought I might enjoy getting back into it and bought me this Luna Apollo.  Old habits … I hooked it up through my stereo.  It sounded like nothing, and I put it away.

I knew I was wasting an instrument too good for me, and decided to see what I could get for a cheap used amp.  Instead I discovered this little thing called a Blackstar Fly.  It’s got a lovely transparent tone.  Plus a delay circuit you can adjust for volume and time; and gain and “overdrive” controls to produce all kinds of buzz, reverb and filth.  At only 6 watts it’s freaking loud if you turn it up.  Did I mention it was all of 80 bucks new?  And comes in a box 5” x 7” x 10”.

No doubt good practice amps are old news to you musical types?  But I was blown away they are now so tiny and cheap.  If you have an electric gathering dust …

amp.JPG.f7af11b5869fb47dd374ab904aa88b87.JPG

p.s. how goes it on your Gretsch @RumbleFox ?

It's going slowly. :). I'm just not a natural musician unfortunately which kills me as I love music but I think I just need to stick with it.  Picked up a nice 60s Burns guitar the other day, really pretty.  X

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

It's going slowly. :). I'm just not a natural musician unfortunately which kills me as I love music but I think I just need to stick with it.  Picked up a nice 60s Burns guitar the other day, really pretty.  X

I feel your pain.  I've got music in my head almost 24/7 but never could produce it with my hands.  I tried for years to teach myself both piano and guitar and I'm a bit envious of those born with talent.

I've forgotten a lot -- hopefully including my worst technique.  Even if I just revert to bashing chords and faking a right hand, that can be fun.

I hope you get to where you can play rings around the likes of me Rumble! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KingsX said:

I feel your pain.  I've got music in my head almost 24/7 but never could produce it with my hands.  I tried for years to teach myself both piano and guitar and I'm a bit envious of those born with talent.

I've forgotten a lot -- hopefully including my worst technique.  Even if I just revert to bashing chords and faking a right hand, that can be fun.

I hope you get to where you can play rings around the likes of me Rumble! 

I'll never be technically great but if I can strum away to a few of my favourite songs I'll be happy enough. :) 

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/08/2019 at 20:21, RumbleFox said:

I’m rubbish, but am trying and here are a few tips that have taken me from being totally rubbish to just rubbish.

1. Get some lessons, but you tell the tutor what you want out of it. Give him 5 tubes you really like and tell him to teach you the easiest. When you start playing a tune you love, you naturally want to pick the guitar up.

2. Lessons are important. Tell him what but of the song you are struggling with. It will probably be technique that isn’t easily visible on line when you teach yourself. Like arching your hand or something. Only a tutor will pick this up.

3. If you aren’t doing this, you must learn. You need to learn to pick up and down rather than just down. My tutor insisted I did it and when you progress you see why. When I was teaching myself I avoided it. But you need a tutor to ensure you do this. The benefits weeks down the line are amazing.

4. Pick it up and play it everyday, even if it’s just 10 minutes. Don’t put the guitar in a room the other end of the house. Keep it close, you will then pick it up. It won’t be a chore as it’s there.

I am just learning, but I can probably do a dozen songs ( except the lead) and because most of those twelve are my favourite ever tracks, it feels amazing. 

I am suggesting these points as I have had a guitar or two for years, but never found a way to progress. Following the above points are what took me forward in the end.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...