Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rob1742

Guitars

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

If it's a modelling amp you're after, I think in terms of value for money the Boss Katana MkII takes some beating (although the footswitch board is not included and has to be purchased separately). Or is it specifically a desktop amp that you're looking for? 

I did look at those, and the price does appeal. The main thing about the Yamaha I like is that it makes all its fancy noises at low volumes and that's been the main problem with every other amp I've had - they all sound shite at bedroom levels.

Also, it looks aesthetically pleasant enough and sufficiently compact for me to be allowed to have it out on display and ready to be used, which will mean I actually use it.  It IS pricey though - the 30 watt version is over £500 if you buy the compatible Line 6 wireless connector, which is a lot for arsing about at home

22 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I did look at those, and the price does appeal. The main thing about the Yamaha I like is that it makes all its fancy noises at low volumes and that's been the main problem with every other amp I've had - they all sound shite at bedroom levels.

Also, it looks aesthetically pleasant enough and sufficiently compact for me to be allowed to have it out on display and ready to be used, which will mean I actually use it.  It IS pricey though - the 30 watt version is over £500 if you buy the compatible Line 6 wireless connector, which is a lot for arsing about at home

The Power Control on the front panel of the Katana allows you scale down the power level incrementally. Variable Power Control, simulates the behaviour of an amp’s power section influence on tone which translate as very natural and realistic, but, more significantly, react and respond like a tube amp. This is far better than the power cut switch on my JCM1000 which reduces it to 25 watts, because you still need to run it hard to get that authentic valves sound and through a 4x4 cab it's still way to loud for the house. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/10/2020 at 17:43, Bellend Sebastian said:

Seriously thinking of going "f*** it" and spunking some cash on a Yamaha THR30ii.

I'm feeling a bit down and it would cheer me up, so that feels like reason enough.

Seriously, the thing that has probably clinched it for me is that there's a Facebook group for users, where folk go on there and say "I want to sound like so and so on this album" and before you know it someone has fiddled about and either sends over a patch or a screenshot of the required settings.

Most people needless to say want to sound like boring stuff like Metallica but I'll go on there and shake it up by getting them working on copying The Darkness and then they'll know what they're dealing with

Did you ever take the plunge? If so, did it cheer you up? 🙂 I love my thr30.

10 hours ago, Flamey said:

Did you ever take the plunge? If so, did it cheer you up? 🙂 I love my thr30.

Not as yet! But still very much on the cards. Even without Christmas coming up, it's a time of year when I have a lot of money going out, so as soon as it settles down I'll be looking seriously at it.

Out of interest, what sort of sounds do you like to get out of it? There's some good demo videos online, but too many of these are of people getting terrible modern American ROCK sounds out of them

16 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Not as yet! But still very much on the cards. Even without Christmas coming up, it's a time of year when I have a lot of money going out, so as soon as it settles down I'll be looking seriously at it.

Out of interest, what sort of sounds do you like to get out of it? There's some good demo videos online, but too many of these are of people getting terrible modern American ROCK sounds out of them

Yeah Christmas can be expensive! .....would be nice to open come the big day though!! I tend to keep it cleanish with a smidge of breakup or 'classic rock' most of the time. I dont dwell much in the high gain area. I use it as a bluetooth speaker too, love the whole 'lack of cables' thing. 😄

1 hour ago, Flamey said:

Yeah Christmas can be expensive! .....would be nice to open come the big day though!! I tend to keep it cleanish with a smidge of breakup or 'classic rock' most of the time. I dont dwell much in the high gain area. I use it as a bluetooth speaker too, love the whole 'lack of cables' thing. 😄

That sounds pretty much bang on :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

Anyone taken any online lessons? Any recommendations?

I've stagnated and need to progress with a structured lesson format.

It's far from a structured lesson format but there's a bloke called Adrian on YouTube with his channel 'Anyone can Play Guitar' where he shows you how to play all sorts of stuff, including some pretty niche things that it probably wouldn't have occurred to me to have a go at, but introduce you to new techniques.

If you support him on Patreon you get access to the tabs, which can be useful if you're as lazy as I am

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

It's far from a structured lesson format but there's a bloke called Adrian on YouTube with his channel 'Anyone can Play Guitar' where he shows you how to play all sorts of stuff, including some pretty niche things that it probably wouldn't have occurred to me to have a go at, but introduce you to new techniques.

If you support him on Patreon you get access to the tabs, which can be useful if you're as lazy as I am

Any excuse👍

25 minutes ago, Flamey said:

Any excuse👍

I'm pretty sure he's done a tuition video for that.

Here's a pop factoid for you. I bought the CD single of that in 1992 or whenever it was, in Ainleys near the Clock Tower. I bought it because I already liked 'Creep', and they'd just done a gig in the shop and I thought these lads deserve a hit

23 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I'm pretty sure he's done a tuition video for that.

Here's a pop factoid for you. I bought the CD single of that in 1992 or whenever it was, in Ainleys near the Clock Tower. I bought it because I already liked 'Creep', and they'd just done a gig in the shop and I thought these lads deserve a hit

They did a gig in the shop? Wow! I assume you saw it?

10 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Oh yes. It was when Thom Yorke had a proper mad blonde barnet. They were good, but it wasn't like 'these guys are going to be MASSIVE"

Oh yeah, it was definitely his 'mad blonde barnet' days. To be fair as good as Pablo Honey was, I never expected them to blow it completely out of the water with The Bends. Amazing band back then, but personally I drifted away from them after Ok Computer.

8 hours ago, RoboFox said:

I used this website at the start of lockdown and found it gave me a really good starting point (I don’t know what standard you are at but mine was very much beginner) 

https://www.guitartricks.com/index.php?a_aid=54ad763594aab&campaignid=10753892339&adgroupid=109604838361&adid=454312548626&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn6fpzYaB7QIVRLDtCh0mqAeuEAAYAiAAEgIKFvD_BwE

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RoboFox said:

I’ve taken a few. It’s fine, not a lot different to normal to be honest. I am talking here lessons with an instructor live. 

I am not structured though, I just text him and tell him to work out a specific song for me and we go through it in the lesson.

It really isn’t that much difference to face to face to be honest, in fact it is maybe more focussed as face to face we get distracted by the guitars in the room. 

I would say these isn’t really any loss on line, I did mine through zoom. 

The other type I was told was decent is the fender lessons. I have a great contact at a store in Birmingham and he gets free fender lessons as he is a director of the company. He uses them for his daughter and says they are brilliant. 

On 20/11/2020 at 10:59, foxfanazer said:

Finally bought my first guitar. Just gotta learn to play the bloody thing now. I'm so cack handed its a joke. So it ain't gonna be easy but enjoying it so far 

Hang in there. First 6 weeks or so will feel like you're getting nowhere. I suggest just sitting in front of the telly with it on your lap, just getting used to the feel of it, holding the frets down etc. Don't worry too much about what it sounds like - you need to get the strength in your fingers and for the ends of them to harden up a bit, which there's no shortcut for really

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Hang in there. First 6 weeks or so will feel like you're getting nowhere. I suggest just sitting in front of the telly with it on your lap, just getting used to the feel of it, holding the frets down etc. Don't worry too much about what it sounds like - you need to get the strength in your fingers and for the ends of them to harden up a bit, which there's no shortcut for really

Thanks. I can already almost play Wonderwall, Seven nation army and Come as you are so I'm basically a pro lol

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Wife gave me my Christmas money early, as have my folks, so order placed. Not allowed to have it until Christmas Day though, which is fair enough

Oh that's fantastic!!! It's great to have something to look forward to, especially after the year everyone has had👍😊

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Flamey said:

Well......?🤔😄

Well you have a very keen memory!

Naturally, the demands of my kids have meant I've had time to unbox it, and I've managed to update the firmware and that's about it. It doesn't sound amazing out of the box, but I've had about 3 minutes to experiment so I'm reserving judgement for now