Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rob1742

Guitars

12 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Any recommendations for an acoustic guitar for a complete an utter beginner? Like I have no idea if I'm even capable of playing but would love to learn

How much are you looking to spend mate?

If you don't mind a 2nd hand one, there's bargains to be found on places like Facebook marketplace.

If you're after a new one, Yamaha and Fender have some pretty affordable models.

I don't play a lot of acoustic, but I have one of these and get on really well with it - https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Yamaha-F310-Acoustic-Natural/L4R?origin=product-ads&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr-DJy_ar6wIV2-vtCh335QWtEAQYASABEgKwOfD_BwE

1 hour ago, FerrisBueller said:

If you don't mind a 2nd hand one, there's bargains to be found on places like Facebook marketplace.

If you're after a new one, Yamaha and Fender have some pretty affordable models.

I don't play a lot of acoustic, but I have one of these and get on really well with it - https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Yamaha-F310-Acoustic-Natural/L4R?origin=product-ads&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr-DJy_ar6wIV2-vtCh335QWtEAQYASABEgKwOfD_BwE

Probably £100-150 as there's a fairly high chance I won't be able to play lol

Seen a nice looking blue Fender for £99 which I might pick up

On 21/08/2020 at 11:51, foxfanazer said:

Probably £100-150 as there's a fairly high chance I won't be able to play lol

Seen a nice looking blue Fender for £99 which I might pick up

Guitar Guitar in Birmingham are a great outfit. If you DM me I can give you his name and he will guide you on what to buy. 
Genuinely helpful. I purchased a guitar from Germany that needed adjustments, but they sorted it out free of charge even though it had nothing to do with them.

Good deals, great advice and next day delivery. Just can’t recall the guys name at the moment, I need to check on my pc 

• Thanks 1

On 21/08/2020 at 10:57, FerrisBueller said:

I have this Yamaha ! great value and decent sound! go for it!

On 20/08/2020 at 21:58, foxfanazer said:

Any recommendations for an acoustic guitar for a complete an utter beginner? Like I have no idea if I'm even capable of playing but would love to learn

Get a cheap second hand one off eBay of a similar site, see if you enjoy it and then upgrade in after a while if you do.

Best thing I’ve done in a long time is to pick up a guitar again during lockdown. Forced myself to play an hour a day and making pretty decent progress.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/08/2020 at 23:13, Costock_Fox said:

Best thing I’ve done in a long time is to pick up a guitar again during lockdown. Forced myself to play an hour a day and making pretty decent progress.

I was the same during the start of lockdown but I've let myself drop off again recently, which I'm annoyed at, considering I've got a wonderful brand new guitar. I think I just hit a brick wall, and it's very demotivating. 

Need to get back on it.

On 16/09/2020 at 15:52, RoboFox said:

I was the same during the start of lockdown but I've let myself drop off again recently, which I'm annoyed at, considering I've got a wonderful brand new guitar. I think I just hit a brick wall, and it's very demotivating. 

Need to get back on it.

It’s hard to keep going. 
I am determined to carry on, and have tried a number of methods to keep going.

1. keep buying new guitars to keep the interest ( not recommended, very costly, but has worked )

2. Place the guitar in an area that is easy to pick up, so it’s not a big decision to play it. You basically can’t avoid it.

3. Get the guitar tabs app, so you can play the tunes you like, follow the tab and if you see something you like it gives the incentive to pick the guitar up.

It’s hard to keep going, you have to find a way else it will just drop off. 

• Thanks 1

Need to get back on it.

Challenge yourself to learn a new piece or technique every week. Often, the two are interrelated. 

• Thanks 1

Need to get back on it.

Sometimes the best thing to do is to leave it - the more you put pressure on it the less enjoyment you’re going to get out of it - so leave it alone bring it out as a treat and slowly get yourself back into it. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got an electric guitar for my birthday last week - never played one before so i'm starting from complete scratch.

Can anyone recommend any online tutorials,videos or where the best place for me to start would be?

I'm keen to get going, currently got all the gear but no idea!

Thanks

On 01/10/2020 at 12:06, whitlock said:

Got an electric guitar for my birthday last week - never played one before so i'm starting from complete scratch.

Can anyone recommend any online tutorials,videos or where the best place for me to start would be?

Thanks

I’m self taught been playing for about 15 years, I started off buying myself a little Beatles guitar song book. I learnt the chords for each song I wanted to play (Shows you how to play the chords on top of each song) and then eventually learnt how to play with the music - good fun, and I learnt all the chords fairly quickly.

Thanks

Good way to start would be the rock school grade books. 

They teach you a bit of theory mixed in with techniques and songs to play along to. I suggest them because they have some structure to them rather than just a book full of songs,  so you can teach yourself techniques, and a bit of theory as you go. Then once you're happy with your progress start looking at songs you want to learn, and you'll be surprised how quickly you'll pick them up. 

And if you want any pointers or tips I will be more than happy to assist. 

51 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Just about to put a guitar together myself. I will post some pictures as I am going along for anyone who may be interested! 

Yeah, man. Always thought about putting together a Frankenstrat / Partscaster or something but for the components I'd want it'd be more expensive than buying one outright. Definitely post pictures.

Darrell Braun has the best Guitar channel on YouTube, he's done a few builds.

7 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Yeah, man. Always thought about putting together a Frankenstrat / Partscaster or something but for the components I'd want it'd be more expensive than buying one outright. Definitely post pictures.

Darrell Braun has the best Guitar channel on YouTube, he's done a few builds.

I am doing a strat style. 

I have got an alder body which I intend to spray surf green. And have already got my pickups. I have decided to go for Suhr pickups, basically the same as the Matteus Asato sign model Suhr. So in a way it will be a strat/suhr hybrid. Just toying the the idea of a floyd rose tremelo system. 

I was also able to get a 50's style rosewood neck from Fender, it is more of a guitar assembly, but I wanted very specific things haha. 

Fingers crossed it comes out how I want it to! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

If you are starting from scratch  then definitely spend time learning basic theory, I never did and now wish I had.

On 19/10/2020 at 16:38, RoboFox said:

American or Mexican? (I can't remember the daft names they assign to them nowadays. Player and professional?)

Mexican player, I have never bought a brand new guitar but I heard good things about this, and was affordable too for a fender.

Seriously thinking of going "f*** it" and spunking some cash on a Yamaha THR30ii.

I'm feeling a bit down and it would cheer me up, so that feels like reason enough.

Seriously, the thing that has probably clinched it for me is that there's a Facebook group for users, where folk go on there and say "I want to sound like so and so on this album" and before you know it someone has fiddled about and either sends over a patch or a screenshot of the required settings.

Most people needless to say want to sound like boring stuff like Metallica but I'll go on there and shake it up by getting them working on copying The Darkness and then they'll know what they're dealing with

32 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Seriously thinking of going "f*** it" and spunking some cash on a Yamaha THR30ii.

If it's a modelling amp you're after, I think in terms of value for money the Boss Katana MkII takes some beating (although the footswitch board is not included and has to be purchased separately). Or is it specifically a desktop amp that you're looking for?