Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tomassi

Your Favourite ALL-TIME City match!

Theres been many great games.

But my all-time favourite may surprise some.

1996-97 season was Emile Heskeys first full season in the first team.

Norwich came to Filbert Street which was to be screened on national TV on a cold Sunday afternoon.

Mark McGhee has left City for what seemed a more glamorous role at Wolverhampton Wanderers, and Norwich had just accepted the resignation of Martin O'Neill.

Norwich came out of the blocks pretty much straightaway and 2 goals would have put them 2-clear on half time but for a beautiful free kick from Mike Whitlow beat an aging Brian Gunn in the Norwich goal.

Leicester kept plugging away in the second half but nothing was coming out of it until 15 minutes from the end a young lad called Emile Heskey came off the bench.

His impact on the game was instant! His cross set up Iwan Roberts who had an impressive season with the foxes that year. Then 5 minutes from the end Rob Ullathorne, later to be a foxes player, passed back to Gunn only for Heskey to intercept and accurately send the ball in for a 3-2 win!!!

Heskey, on for 15 minutes, won man of the match, and he had 2 career goals for the foxes, both against Norwich as he scored in the away encounter!!

aaah I remember watching that on Central Match Live! Alan Parry commentating, Tony Francis and Greavsie in the studio.... Didn't Eadie get one of Norwich's?

Beating Newcastle 2-0 the following season, knocking them off the top, Claridge and Heskey in tandem, Grayson playing like a demon, Keller unbeatable! And then beating Derby 4-2 with a Marshall hattrick having been down after 40 seconds. Great days!

Theres been many great games.

But my all-time favourite may surprise some.

1996-97 season was Emile Heskeys first full season in the first team.

Norwich came to Filbert Street which was to be screened on national TV on a cold Sunday afternoon.

Mark McGhee has left City for what seemed a more glamorous role at Wolverhampton Wanderers, and Norwich had just accepted the resignation of Martin O'Neill.

Norwich came out of the blocks pretty much straightaway and 2 goals would have put them 2-clear on half time but for a beautiful free kick from Mike Whitlow beat an aging Brian Gunn in the Norwich goal.

Leicester kept plugging away in the second half but nothing was coming out of it until 15 minutes from the end a young lad called Emile Heskey came off the bench.

His impact on the game was instant! His cross set up Iwan Roberts who had an impressive season with the foxes that year. Then 5 minutes from the end Rob Ullathorne, later to be a foxes player, passed back to Gunn only for Heskey to intercept and accurately send the ball in for a 3-2 win!!!

Heskey, on for 15 minutes, won man of the match, and he had 2 career goals for the foxes, both against Norwich as he scored in the away encounter!!

I remember that, it was quality. I think it was 1995/96 sorry to be pedantic. Man of the match in 15 minutes, superb. The news was that we were all set to appoint Mike Walker as manager and then O'Neill resigned the day we were due to play Norwich and the directors were busy thrashing out a deal with O'Neill whilst the game was going on.

Unlucky Walker, just imagine if he'd got the reigns? No premiership, no europe, no muzzy, lennon, elliott, savage, collymore. Horrible thought

I remember that, it was quality. I think it was 1995/96 sorry to be pedantic. Man of the match in 15 minutes, superb. The news was that we were all set to appoint Mike Walker as manager and then O'Neill resigned the day we were due to play Norwich and the directors were busy thrashing out a deal with O'Neill whilst the game was going on.

Unlucky Walker, just imagine if he'd got the reigns? No premiership, no europe, no muzzy, lennon, elliott, savage, collymore. Horrible thought

yep ur right.. on my season video its 95/96 whooopsie

I've got a few, so bare with me!

...Best Ever was the game against Boro at Wembley. When I think it was Heskey scored in extra time to put us into a replay, didn't go to the replay though :(.

...Another is probably the 4-0 against Leeds in the premiership with that

Nalis goal. That was a bit special.

...And last year at Charlton in the FA Cup was a really good day out and match :D. Loved that 1! :yesyes:

Boro at wembley was awesome, but 3-3 with arsenal was fabulous, i sat in front of 3 gooners and had to listen to them drone on about the greatness of arsene for 90 mins. The city started!!! It epitomised everything we were under O'neill.

Even though we lost (and i cried)

It has to be the play off final:

Leicester 3 - 4 Swindon

3-0 down, Steve Thompsons amazing goal to draw level at 3-3 then a swan dive for a pen to lose P Bowden scoring the pen (something he later failed with for Wales)

I was gutted but a rolercoaster of emotion makes it my fav.

(the 3-3 draw with Arsenal wasnt a bad night either, or the 5-1 drubbing of Cambridge...strange none come into contention from 05/06!)

The whole Worthington Cup run of 2000, beating Fulham on pens, Villa in semi and of course the final against Tranmere. Worthington Cup Final of 99 just because Robbie Savage kicked Spurs off the park and some how didn't get sent off but substituted by O'Neill just before that **** Allan Neilsen got the winner. Another is when we beat Spurs 2-1 at Filbert Street at the start of 98-99 season when Muzzy Izzet scored an incredible volley from about 30 yards out.

Arsenal 3-3

Althought i did enjoy the play off final against Palace because that was not only a great day out/win but also my first time at the twin towers!

At the Walkers, the Leeds game when we won 4-0 was quality!

Only ever been to 1 live match! Steve Claridge came off the bench and scored the winner in a 1-0 win over Villa.

4-0 in the first 20mins against Derby on TV was a great match too though :devil:

Only ever been to 1 live match! Steve Claridge came off the bench and scored the winner in a 1-0 win over Villa.

4-0 in the first 20mins against Derby on TV was a great match too though :devil:

you have only ever been to 1 game? how old are you?

My fave game - March 1982 vs Shrewsbury Town, FA Cup quarter final

Leicester were 1-0 up against the Shrews when Chic Bates collided with Mark Wallington. Wallington's leg was heavily bandaged up, and he lost alot of mobility and after conceding 2 goals, Wally was subbed. He hadn't missed a minutes play for years and as he limped off, we put Alan Young (our six foot striker) in goal.

During the second half, Young was barged whilst in mid-air and fell awkwardly. Off he went (we only had 1 sub in those days I think!) and Steve Lynex (shortest player on the park) went between the sticks.

About 20 mins later, Young came back on, and we finished the game 5-2 winners, with Lynex crossing the ball for Jim Melrose to nod in the winner just after being swapped in goal.

A REAL rollercoaster of a game, a real epic battle. And I was there!

1994 Wembley Derby 1 Leicester 2 After the heartache of losing the previous two play-off finals this was Heaven-I almost felt sorry for the Derby fans...Nahhhhhhhh

Also 1974 i think it was Leicester 2 Manchester United 2 bit sketchy but i think Best scored two for united we were 2-0 up i think..... :unsure:

The Shrewsbury game was awesome mind

Can't pick one - here's a few that spring to mind :-

Newcastle home 1990(ish) - won 5-4 with David Kelly & Mick Quinn scoring hat-tricks.

Derby play-off final 94 - Our first win at Wembley over local rivals, with Leicester legend Steve Walsh getting

the winner after hardly kicking a ball all season - sheer ecstacy :banana:

Crystal Palace play-off final 96 - has there ever been a more dramatic finale at Wembley??

Wimbledon League Cup semi-final 2nd leg 97 - Seeing Leicester qualify for a cup final for my first time and a

great day in London and a proper football atmosphere.

Middlesborough League Cup final replay 97 - Seeing us the lift the cup and qualify for Europe (wish it had

been at Wembley though)

Athletico Madrid UEFA Cup 97 - My dream of watching Leicester in Europe came true 16th Sept 1997 when

we stepped out at the Estadio Vicente Caleron against one of the finest

European teams, who at the time, I believe, had the worlds most expensive

striker. What a trip! Had to pinch myself at half-time to make sure I wasn't

dreaming and actually were leading 1-0. How times change eh??

Arsenal home 97 - The famous 3-3, so many emotions in such a short period of time.

Tottenham 02 - Final game at Filbert Street, sad to see us leave but it was great day and the atmosphere

was electric. Oh how I miss the place :cry:

You got to be there for the bad times to appreciate the good

My fave game - March 1982 vs Shrewsbury Town, FA Cup quarter final

Leicester were 1-0 up against the Shrews when Chic Bates collided with Mark Wallington. Wallington's leg was heavily bandaged up, and he lost alot of mobility and after conceding 2 goals, Wally was subbed. He hadn't missed a minutes play for years and as he limped off, we put Alan Young (our six foot striker) in goal.

During the second half, Young was barged whilst in mid-air and fell awkwardly. Off he went (we only had 1 sub in those days I think!) and Steve Lynex (shortest player on the park) went between the sticks.

About 20 mins later, Young came back on, and we finished the game 5-2 winners, with Lynex crossing the ball for Jim Melrose to nod in the winner just after being swapped in goal.

A REAL rollercoaster of a game, a real epic battle. And I was there!

I've read a lot about that game...sounded like an absolutely unreal experience!! I envy you!! :thumbup:

Shit that's a hard one mind you I'm a bit older than 18!!!!!!

closest to a heart attack watching City? - watching Steve Thomson baring down on goal v Swindon at 2-3 down

closest to sheer ecstasy? - seeing the 6ft lanky goalie coming on for the penalties v Palace only for Stevie Claridge to steal his thunder with that shinner

best result? watching us getting pounded by Liverpool at Anfield until Ian Marshall scored in the last minutes of the game

Shrewsbury game was also spectacular - I could only get in with the away fans that day and had to be taken out for my own safety....well you can't keep quiet in those circumstances can you?

Under Bloomfield though we were real city slickers and played with a swagger that hasn't been matched since - watching Frankie Wortho and Weller and co was something else. We went down to Luton in the cup and the whole of Leicester must have gone down. It was one of those places that we knew we could take with ease and we simply annihalated them 4-0(I think).

I think that the best game ties in with your age and who you are with and other things as well - not just how we perform.

v Boro at Wembley I went with a mate of a mate and he bought down a BBQ, which we consequently enjoyed in Wembley Car Park whilst every Boro fan tried to make an escape and we were feeling so good we gave some beer away!!

Every time we beat fo£$*t and the sheep shaggers feels pretty good as well

Archived