Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

1 minute ago, Rogstanley said:

I said "for example". 

It wasn't meant as a trick question. You seemed to be saying that your opinions come from personal experience rather than tabloids so I asked for an example. Just one example. I thought it would be easy to be honest, but obviously not, which just goes to show.

So if I hadn't mentioned the EU you wouldn't have made a big deal of it? 

It's hard to mention specifics when it comes to prejudice against white people without kneejerk accusations of racism, but'll give you an example if you like. My wife works at Asda, nobody is officially allowed  time off over Christmas as it is their busy time. A lot of the Indian staff take time off over Christmas to visit India because it's cheaper and none of them are refused the time off.

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

So if I hadn't mentioned the EU you wouldn't have made a big deal of it? 

It's hard to mention specifics when it comes to prejudice against white people without kneejerk accusations of racism, but'll give you an example if you like. My wife works at Asda, nobody is officially allowed  time off over Christmas as it is their busy time. A lot of the Indian staff take time off over Christmas to visit India because it's cheaper and none of them are refused the time off.

That's surprising because we quite often go away over Christmas and flights to pretty much anywhere, especially long haul winter sun destinations like India are at their absolute peak at that time. If it is really cheaper to visit India at Christmas then that's us sorted for next year, so thanks for the tip.

3 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

That's surprising because we quite often go away over Christmas and flights to pretty much anywhere, especially long haul winter sun destinations like India are at their absolute peak at that time. If it is really cheaper to visit India at Christmas then that's us sorted for next year, so thanks for the tip.

I'm surprised you can afford it with the devastating falls in wages.

4 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Shame, just did some flight comparisons and it's actually about 80% more expensive to fly to India over Christmas than it is in January.

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I'm surprised you can afford it with the devastating falls in wages.

Well I can't now, having seen the prices. Almost double the cost of going in January. And your wife's colleagues report that it is cheaper over Christmas? Unbelievable. Literally.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rogstanley said:

Well I can't now, having seen the prices. Almost double the cost of going in January. And your wife's colleagues report that it is cheaper over Christmas? Unbelievable. Literally.

Considering my wife talks to these people on a daily basis, I believe her.

1 hour ago, toddybad said:

No. My dad voted Brexit. We've had a few tense discussions. His first reason was to do with sea fishermen. He knows no sea fishermen. His latest is to do with Romanian gangs. I'd be surprised if he'd even met a Romanian, let alone a gang of them. He reads the Daily bloody Express.

Romanian Gangs Are FIVE TIMES AS LIKELY To Be Romanian As You Are And You're Paying For It. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Considering my wife talks to these people on a daily basis, I believe her.

Fair play, I'm not doubting her, I'm just struggling to reconcile the idea of going to India over Christmas being cheaper with the fact that flights to India over Christmas are almost double the price of flying in January. Maybe that's just what the Indians at asda tell the bosses so they can get Christmas off. You'd think a company like Asda would have a HR department that applies the holiday rules equally in any case.

10 hours ago, Rogstanley said:

Fair play, I'm not doubting her, I'm just struggling to reconcile the idea of going to India over Christmas being cheaper with the fact that flights to India over Christmas are almost double the price of flying in January. Maybe that's just what the Indians at asda tell the bosses so they can get Christmas off. You'd think a company like Asda would have a HR department that applies the holiday rules equally in any case.

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Well I can’t speak for Webbo but I’m thinking maybe there is a bit of miscommunication. Assuming the Indian Asda staff have children, they would only be able to take them out over the holidays like the rest of us. So it’s the cheapest time that they can go. So I checked and yeah I’m right.

Xmas £461, Easter £510, summer holidays average £550.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Well I can’t speak for Webbo but I’m thinking maybe there is a bit of miscommunication. Assuming the Indian Asda staff have children, they would only be able to take them out over the holidays like the rest of us. So it’s the cheapest time that they can go. So I checked and yeah I’m right.

Easter is a bit too close but comparing summer is valid. On flight comparison site momondo, LHR - DEL, two week trip, I'm getting a best price of £573 for departure on Saturday 5th August and £673 for departure on Saturday 22nd December. That's as fair a comparison as I can come up with and Christmas is significantly more expensive.

Edited by Rogstanley

2 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Easter is a bit too close but comparing summer is valid. On flight comparison site momondo, LHR - DEL, two week trip, I'm getting a best price of £573 for departure on Saturday 5th August and £673 for departure on Saturday 22nd December. That's as fair a comparison as I can come up with and Christmas is significantly more expensive.

6AC903DE-33FE-459C-8F17-9BF4A1E3BB62.thumb.jpeg.b51599dc6b43625d89a54936d4ed863e.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, Rogstanley said:

I think my comparison is a lot better because I've looked at actual ticket prices and compared like for like in terms of departure days.

I never said they flew on Christmas Day.

18 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Get out of here with your facts, they are racist.

Edited by MattP