Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Freeman's Wharfer

Running a Half Marathon

80k/50miles done. About doubled my highest ever weekly mileage with just a single day's worth of running lol

Fever mostly went away after a couple laps in the cooler night air. If I do another one I'll have to practice a lot more fuelling/nutrition strategies though to make sure I don't get in that same hole again. Back home nursing a slightly swollen ankle and a killer cold from all the rain on those last two laps. Great fun, recommend it if endurance events are your thing (although you might want to train for it a bit better than I did lol). Not sure I'm in a rush to do another, but if I was I certainly couldn't rate Equinox much higher, excellently ran event and big credit to the race directors and all the marshalls.

Couple days off work to try and get myself in recovery mode, then Leicester HM coming up in two weeks.

Edited by Xen
  • Like 2

Been a week and I've still not ran since Equinox. The top-outside of my left ankle is doing a weird thing when I flex it where it almost feels like it's creaking, but pretty much no pain (1-2/10 maybe?). Very stab-in-the-dark guess is that its some sort of tendon issue after being overworked? Haven't really got the time/money to see a physio in the next few days annoyingly.

Supposed to be running in Leicester HM but unsure if I should risk it or not. Enjoyed it last year despite the weather and aside from the ankle I feel like I'd be in with a decent shout of a PB, so don't really want to miss out... :/

Edited by Xen
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

See how you feel nearer the day @Xen

hopefully it feels a bit better by then 

if if not don’t risk doing long term damage for one race if it doesn’t feel right? 

Yeah, that would normally be the plan, but I know a few people angling for my place if I decide to DNS so wanted to make the decision early haha.

Managed to squeeze in a physio consultation on my lunch break for tomorrow, so hopefully I'll get an answer either way. If I can't make it to Leicester I'll probably look for another HM in November instead, as I've not ran one yet in 2019. Anyone know of anything local-ish and fairly flat?

2 hours ago, Xen said:

Yeah, that would normally be the plan, but I know a few people angling for my place if I decide to DNS so wanted to make the decision early haha.

Managed to squeeze in a physio consultation on my lunch break for tomorrow, so hopefully I'll get an answer either way. If I can't make it to Leicester I'll probably look for another HM in November instead, as I've not ran one yet in 2019. Anyone know of anything local-ish and fairly flat?

Not local as such but the Conway half marathon is 17th November I believe but no idea how flat it is. I will have a scout around for others and let you know

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Awaiting word on whether the Leicester Half is actually going ahead. Watermead Park is apparently rather more watery than usual

Thursday 7pm deadline for them to announce their decision. 

Makes sense to announce it early as there'll be people with travel plans who wouldn't necessarily want to travel for nothing, but the forecast is dry until then and very wet after, so I worry that they'll give the go-ahead and have to reverse the decision (unless they've found a new route).

Either that or add in a cycling section and make it a triathlon...

25 minutes ago, Xen said:

Makes sense to announce it early as there'll be people with travel plans who wouldn't necessarily want to travel for nothing, but the forecast is dry until then and very wet after, so I worry that they'll give the go-ahead and have to reverse the decision (unless they've found a new route).

They keep changing the weather forecast which doesn't help

Just had my physio appt. 

Typically, everything seems to have cleared up the day of the appointment so it was difficult to get a proper diagnosis, but I've been given some exercises to do and advised that a few more weeks rest is probably best so my ankle can fully heal up. Annoying - especially as the deadline for transfers for Leicester was yesterday - but needs must I suppose.

Follow up is in 2 weeks, so we'll see how that goes. If anything, I'll be a lot lighter in my step (thanks to my wallet being notably thinner...)

Edited by Xen

4 hours ago, Xen said:

A mate went down to have a look today and reckons it's not looking too clever.

Waist deep water along some of the route still this afternoon

Wasn't signed up this year, but must be gutting for those who have trained for it. But obviously if the route isn't passable and the logistics of mapping a new route and sorting road closures etc at such late notice would be a nightmare, so totally understandable.

4 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

I bet we don’t get a refund either I’m guessing as it’s a natural disaster

:nono:

You CAN claim a refund, but if you don't, the money will go to LOROS. Enough people seem to be doing the latter to have guilt tripped me into doing the same.

Reading the posts on Facebook laying into the bloke who is FURIOUS about the cancellation has cheered me up no end, I must say

• Like 1

Not much else they could do really. These races must be a nightmare to manage even when everything goes smoothly, so a last minute scramble to get everything ready was never going to work out.

Unfortunate, but parts of the course are very prone to flooding so holding a race at this time of year is always going to be a risk, and it's been particularly heavy rain recently.

People have a right to be annoyed at the situation, but anyone getting angry at the organisers need to grow up. They've given as much notice as they reasonably could and kept entrants pretty well informed.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

You CAN claim a refund, but if you don't, the money will go to LOROS. Enough people seem to be doing the latter to have guilt tripped me into doing the same.

Reading the posts on Facebook laying into the bloke who is FURIOUS about the cancellation has cheered me up no end, I must say

Fair play that’s no worries. Happy with that 

I’m doing the Windermere Full marathon May 2020 for Mind MH Charity 

18 minutes ago, Xen said:

Not much else they could do really. These races must be a nightmare to manage even when everything goes smoothly, so a last minute scramble to get everything ready was never going to work out.

Unfortunate, but parts of the course are very prone to flooding so holding a race at this time of year is always going to be a risk, and it's been particularly heavy rain recently.

People have a right to be annoyed at the situation, but anyone getting angry at the organisers need to grow up. They've given as much notice as they reasonably could and kept entrants pretty well informed.

Yep absolutely agree bud

im mildly annoyed as I was planning a tilt at my PB but that’s it (ooo and a bit annoyed for the wife who is only just at that level ready for her first ever half marathon) but otherwise I am really happy if they donate my fee for charity

no issues with that at all 

:D

My wife was due to do it.  She’s gutted after all that training 

Her running club are doing one anyway and someone is organising medals and T shirts…. So not all bad

Shes let Loros have the money…. They’d have spent a bit getting it this far, so, they may as well have it

after a back injury i spluttered around 7km today …

nice took be back … it was driving me nuts not being able to run