Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Freeman's Wharfer

Running a Half Marathon

19 hours ago, Izzy said:

Hope you recover O.K. mate :fc:

What is 25mpw? 

I've just started running again recently (after 30 years of not bothering) and gradually increasing my speed/distance on the treadmill. So far I'm only at 5km in about half an hour but on the treadmill I run at gradient 1 and speed 11. Would that be in km?

Thanks!

Mpw = Miles per week. 

Grats on getting started again. Km sounds about right, but it depends on both the treadmill (some are pretty arbitrary 'speeds') and how well it's calibrated. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Went off too fast (for me) and paid a heavy price in the last 3 to 4 miles

1.48.48 for my second best HM time ever but worst pacing yet

enjoyable Run though, medal t shirt and beer afterwards etc  :beer:

It’s still a bloody good time Bob, I know runners half your age that would give their left bollock for a time like that.

:thumbup:

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

That’s some going Bob is that :appl:

I ran 5km in 40 mins on the treadmill today nearly flat out and was totally fvcked afterwards.

You’ve done 21km at a much quicker pace than me (I think we’re similar age) so big respect to you mate.

Ive got a long way to go to get to your standard..

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Izzy said:

That’s some going Bob is that :appl:

I ran 5km in 40 mins on the treadmill today nearly flat out and was totally fvcked afterwards.

You’ve done 21km at a much quicker pace than me (I think we’re similar age) so big respect to you mate.

Ive got a long way to go to get to your standard..

I think it’s much harder on a treadmill Izzy, I struggle to remain motivated as there isnt anything to distract you from how you’re feeling. You should try parkrun events near you, I bet you’d increase your time in a few weeks. 

https://www.parkrun.org.uk/

Edited by Strokes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I think it’s much harder on a treadmill Izzy, I struggle to remain motivated as there isnt anything to distract you from how you’re feeling. You should try parkrun events near you, I bet you’d increase your time in a few weeks. 

Yeah, must admit I get bored shitless on the treadmill and had enough after 30-40 mins.

The kids did junior park run a few years ago but I never thought about trying it so thanks for the reminder.

Only problem is my knees are fvcked so not sure about pounding the pavement in case I make them worse.

Always figured the treadmill would be kinder on my knees but if I want to increase my distance and stamina I’m gonna have to get outdoors I think...

• Like 1

Edinburgh half today. Very little in the way of sunshine on Leith as it was bloody soaking. Got a decent enough time despite carrying an extra 4 stone in rain so i'm happy with that. Got a big break now until Amsterdam and Windsor. 

Particular highlight of the day was two Spanish athletes chatting away to each other and the only words I understood was the repeated use of Mel Gibson when passing Arthur's Seat. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

That’s some going! Well done!! Those last 3-4 miles were shocking - head wind and too narrow to be able to overtake. Finished in 2:07:09 - just outside of my PB.  Not bad for a 40 year old who couldn’t get below 3 hours this time last year! 

Edited by waddadamadda
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Edinburgh half today. Very little in the way of sunshine on Leith as it was bloody soaking. Got a decent enough time despite carrying an extra 4 stone in rain so i'm happy with that. Got a big break now until Amsterdam and Windsor. 

Particular highlight of the day was two Spanish athletes chatting away to each other and the only words I understood was the repeated use of Mel Gibson when passing Arthur's Seat. 

Amsterdam half in October? I’ve just sold my place for this as chose to do the Leicester marathon instead.....

What is Edinburgh like to run? 

1 minute ago, waddadamadda said:

Amsterdam half in October? I’ve just sold my place for this as chose to do the Leicester marathon instead.....

What is Edinburgh like to run? 

Yes, first European run so I'm looking forward to it! I will miss Leicester though. 

Really enjoyable. As you start in the centre and finish not too far from the sea it's very flat/downhill, which is great for somebody who hates running uphill 

11 hours ago, waddadamadda said:

That’s some going! Well done!! Those last 3-4 miles were shocking - head wind and too narrow to be able to overtake. Finished in 2:07:09 - just outside of my PB.  Not bad for a 40 year old who couldn’t get below 3 hours this time last year! 

Good effort buddy, excellent really like you say when you consider that head wind on the last 3 to 4 miles  :appl:

11 hours ago, David Guiza said:

Good effort bud

i watched the Edinburgh run last year (as just happened to be on holiday at that time) and it looks a tough one 

:appl:

• Thanks 1

Morning run ?‍♂️ through fields of wheat ? - up there with taking your country to the brink of Brexit Armageddon on the naughtiness factor!!!

Did a 9km…. I saw one couple on a dog walk the whole time I was out  The route was Bushby, Houghton to Stoughton and back to Bushby

There is a 14km route I do  around the Hambleton peninsular…

i also found a nice route  (11km) around watermead…. I ran it with my wife on Saturday…

Any other good shouts for runs in east Leicestershire?

ejxgCox.jpg

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Morning run ?‍♂️ through fields of wheat ? - up there with taking your country to the brink of Brexit Armageddon on the naughtiness factor!!!

Did a 9km…. I saw one couple on a dog walk the whole time I was out 

This was Bushby, Houghton to Stoughton and back to Bushby

A 14km I do is up around the Hambleton peninsular and did 11km around watermead with my wife on Saturday…

any other food shouts for runs in east Leicestershire?

ejxgCox.jpg

I find most curry houses will give me the runs if I ask for a really spicy dish...

:ph34r:

• Like 1

On 26/05/2019 at 17:54, Strokes said:

Yep @Izzy I have to agree

Park Runs would be good for you to see improvements and keep your interest up etc (like @Strokes days treadmill running can be boring etc) 

good luck bud and keep us updated with your progress. :appl:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Yep @Izzy I have to agree

Park Runs would be good for you to see improvements and keep your interest up etc (like @Strokes days treadmill running can be boring etc) 

good luck bud and keep us updated with your progress. :appl:

Cheers Bob :thumbup:

I've had a look on the link Strokes posted and there are a couple of Park Run's within 10 miles of me. 

Interesting that their website states the average time of all the 5km park runs is just over 28 mins. I average about 32 mins for 5km on the treadmill at the moment so I'd be towards the back of the pack :nono:

Then again, I'd probably be one of the older participants :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

I've had a look on the link Strokes posted and there are a couple of Park Run's within 10 miles of me. 

Interesting that their website states the average time of all the 5km park runs is just over 28 mins. I average about 32 mins for 5km on the treadmill at the moment so I'd be towards the back of the pack :nono:

The only one you're competing against is yourself, bro.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

The good thing about Park Run is it genuinely is all abilities. I know loads of people that have done it and got round in 38 minutes or whatever and they've never been last.

You don't have to go that often for your times to speed right up

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Izzy said:

You’re always faster off a treadmill Izzy

hate the things…. So much more interesting being outside…

I ran 7km this AM with my wife and didn’t see another sole…. Glorious!

• Like 1

Swithland 6 this morning, weather couldn't make its mind up. Teased us with rain then it just ended up being muggy and warm - not pleasant! Definitely more of a mental battle today than a physical one - somehow ended up on my own with no runners for 50yds in front and couldn't hear anyone behind. So hard to keep going when it's tough and noone to drag you along.

Managed to come in just under 48 mins which was my 'B' goal, so pretty happy with that. 

Nothing else in the calendar yet for the next month or so, so probably back to parkrun for a while. Feels like forever since I last did Dishley or Beeston so might address that over the next few weeks.

@Izzy treadmill running can be pretty different from outdoor running, so definitely give it a go. With parkrun there's always people around the finishing chute cheering everyone in, doesn't matter whether your up near the front or one of the tail runners. 

I can say with some certainty that after you've been a few times you'll see that PB tumble quickly. Won't be long before you're sub-30 or better :) Just bear in mind that it's obviously tougher running atm with the warmer weather, so just keep at it and come September when it's cooler you'll be flying round :thumbup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Izzy said:

You are getting some cracking advice from lots on here like @Strokes and @Buce and @Wolfox and @Bellend Sebastian and @Vacamion to name but a few. You will find what’s suits you in time @Izzy but I do agree park runs are a great way to steadily improve over a few months 

alternatively as Vac says sometimes you can enjoy treadmill but it’s not for everyone. I like a mix of both, mainly outside but the treadmill runs are a great way of ticking over at the right time also

good luck either way Izzy

• Thanks 1