Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Freeman's Wharfer

Running a Half Marathon

4 hours ago, goose2010 said:

Starting a fresh with running after a knee injury (ruptured Petalla tendon / broken knee cap) and have now finally after a year of physio had the sign off from my physio to begin running. Any advice for an apps that people use to get you started? Does anyone follow the run job walk etc. or couch to 5k? Not sure whats best and really need to get some fitness back. 

I did c25k back end of last year, after not getting of my arse for 20 odd years, I quite enjoyed it, and am still running.

16 hours ago, goose2010 said:

Starting a fresh with running after a knee injury (ruptured Petalla tendon / broken knee cap) and have now finally after a year of physio had the sign off from my physio to begin running. Any advice for an apps that people use to get you started? Does anyone follow the run job walk etc. or couch to 5k? Not sure whats best and really need to get some fitness back. 

Couch to 5k worked brilliantly for me, both times I did it. There's a lot of subtly different plans in different apps, but by and large they all do the same thing so as long as you pick one and stick with it you should be good to go. Make sure you respect the rest days as thats when your body is recovering and getting stronger, and dont worry if you need to repeat a run a few times before moving on. Good luck! :) 

Edited by Xen

17 hours ago, goose2010 said:

I know apps are really popular and clearly help people, but for me it's just about concentrating on just trying to get in the habit of running regularly, but build up very gradually and don't be afraid of running very slowly at first.

Going too far, too fast increases the likelihood of injury and can be demoralising when you find yourself having to stop after a short distance (although there's nothing with wrong with that, of course)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goose2010 said:

thanks all going to start one tonight but yeah going to have to take it slow got to trust my leg isnt going to give way but its all mind over matter.

Don't know if you were planning on getting on a treadmill or running outside, but if the latter then just make sure you're careful. The ice is particularly bad at the moment and a couple of my club runners have slipped the last few days, so if you're already a bit unsure on your leg its best to be extra cautious.

Might start a new thread for this ??? However, I set up a FoxesTalk running club on Strava….

As I run on my own, I found this a really good way to connect with other runners and see how your doing…. I am in another virtual running club where I like to feature on the leaderboard (being a competitive bugger!)

use this link and I can invite you

https://www.strava.com/clubs/581248

my profile is Ben Wolf on Strava 

I will add you to the club and we can see how we get on…

if your not on Strava, it’s really easy to join and set up a profile…

cheers

Ben

just @ me on this thread if you need any help

Happy running…!

Ben

• Like 2

Sounds good @Wolfox, I'll join as soon as I'm not on my work pc :)

Last week has been pretty tough going for me, but in a kinda good way. Had flu the week before so took a week off, then straight back into the training plan with a tempo session to kick off 6 consecutive days of running. Including a long run on Sunday and ending with intervals yesterday. Havent ran at pace for a long while, haven't ran that many days in a row before, and it has ended up being my highest-ever rolling-7day mileage (not including the ultra weekend). My legs are drained - and I've got another 10 weeks of this (but more) before the marathon! Just the one rest day and back at it again tomorrow - I'll probably be hobbling to/from the train station for tonights game lol 

Edited by Xen
  • Like 2

@Xen @Bob Weasel Fox - welcome aboard!

Well we’re up to 4 runners already! Let’s get it to ten!

i’ve done my chuffing back in, so, off for a few days…. Over did it at the weekend running down massive hills in a forest!

joining a virtual running club really spurred me on… and I upped my runs in length and frequency…

As a tip you can change security settings so it blanks off a radius from your home address…

I will start a dedicated thread when I get a moment 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/01/2020 at 11:30, Wolfox said:

@Xen @Bob Weasel Fox - welcome aboard!

Well we’re up to 4 runners already! Let’s get it to ten!

i’ve done my chuffing back in, so, off for a few days…. Over did it at the weekend running down massive hills in a forest!

joining a virtual running club really spurred me on… and I upped my runs in length and frequency…

As a tip you can change security settings so it blanks off a radius from your home address…

I will start a dedicated thread when I get a moment 

Going well and growing @Wolfox

• Like 2

I might be a technophobe but I hate apps etc for exercise. Can't even best music when running. It's my time to switch off from the world and get in kin with nature. Imho there's nothing better than listening to your own body and the birds tweeting away!!!

Planning on doing the Leicester again  this year. I'll be ecstatic with Sub 1.50 again but as I'm getting older anything will be a bonus!!!!

1 minute ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Yep I am buddy 

in between a dodgy late shift the night before and another late shift after it

i am going to be knackered beyond belief lol 

Ouch! :o

I'm out on the lash in the afternoon watching the rugby lol

Do you know if headphones are allowed? Can't see anything anywhere about it? 

2 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

I’m not sure in all honesty but the roads are closed off for the race so usually that means you can? I think ? 

Yeah that's what I'm hoping too. I know they're not allowed for the Abbey Park 10k which I'm not too fussed about but 13 miles is a long way to go without a bit of music! 

Aftershokz are allowed at most races as they are not in your ears as they are bone conduction headphones. 

I picked up a pair last year and really impressed with them. Great for listening to podcasts and music while still hearing what’s going off around you on the main roads 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

In a moment of madness, I've just entered the Leicester half in October!!!

Dont think I can ever beat my PB of 1.46 in 2017, I'll be happy with sub 2 hrs now!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Raj said:

In a moment of madness, I've just entered the Leicester half in October!!!

Dont think I can ever beat my PB of 1.46 in 2017, I'll be happy with sub 2 hrs now!!!

I’m doing it too, I’m going to be happy to get near 2 hours. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Anyone doing the Leicester half end of October? 

I haven't done any running (or exercise) for so long so two 5ks in two days is a big deal for me right now! 

I need to get a proper plan in place as it's creeping up

Yeah im doing it as a keen runner and do so regulary. With no football on yesterday i timed myself doing 13 miles yesterday and did 2hr 10mins but im paying for it today. Dream would be to go sub 2hr and hopefully as its a fairly flat route i might just do it 🤞

• Like 1