Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Freeman's Wharfer

Running a Half Marathon

3 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

Not been able to run for a couple of months due to an injury and it's bloody hard going without it. 

Can't wait to just run the thoughts away again and feel the air.

What’s your injury bud? 

I just did a steady 7 miles this morning but not flowing at the moment. Plantar fasciitis in my right foot, tight left hamstring and lower back pain. Feels like I am falling apart lol but I am 48 so I suppose have to manage these issues accordingly

hope your injury improves soon buddy

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Derby half marathon today

same as Liverpool for me

went off too fast and paid heavily later

1.48.15 in the end

Solid effort that, nice one! :thumbup:

If you're repeating the same mistakes (I do exactly the same thing) then at least you know it's something you can work on. And pacing strategies are probably the easiest thing to 'fix', so with a decent course and the right approach you'll smash that time :)

I mentioned last time I posted that I was thinking about dropping from the marathon at Leicester to the half, and that's all but a certainty now. These shin splints are persistent buggers so I'm going to try and take a prolonged rest and come back stronger, hopefully for good. Switching to swimming and the exercise bike for cardio and got some strength/core routines to work through in the meantime. Going to see a physio when I get a chance for a second opinion though.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Xen said:

Solid effort that, nice one! :thumbup:

If you're repeating the same mistakes (I do exactly the same thing) then at least you know it's something you can work on. And pacing strategies are probably the easiest thing to 'fix', so with a decent course and the right approach you'll smash that time :)

I mentioned last time I posted that I was thinking about dropping from the marathon at Leicester to the half, and that's all but a certainty now. These shin splints are persistent buggers so I'm going to try and take a prolonged rest and come back stronger, hopefully for good. Switching to swimming and the exercise bike for cardio and got some strength/core routines to work through in the meantime. Going to see a physio when I get a chance for a second opinion though.

Cheers buddy and good luck with your shin splints and recovering properly etc

like you say lots you can do to stay fit in the interim period. Good luck as I know shin splints are a painful injury to have 

pay day I will probably enter the Leicester half in October but I am probably going to use that one as a training run and not worry too much about time 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Cheers buddy and good luck with your shin splints and recovering properly etc

like you say lots you can do to stay fit in the interim period. Good luck as I know shin splints are a painful injury to have 

pay day I will probably enter the Leicester half in October but I am probably going to use that one as a training run and not worry too much about time 

Cheers pal.

Thing is apart from one run where I had to stop after 50yds (I've raced with no issue since then) its never been a particularly bad pain, its just sore and flares up when walking up/down stairs. Frustrating as I don't really feel 'injured' but obviously its a warning sign and I need to be careful it doesn't become something worse. I'll be jetting off to Spain in a couple weeks and putting my feet up, so I shouldn't complain too much about the time off ;)

Will have to look out for ya at Leicester HM if you do run it. We'll probably be just a few yards apart from most of it if you run a similar time to Derby :D Just hoping the weather is a little bit nicer for it this time around...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got any training/regime advice? I've managed to get upto 9 miles now and admittedly I'm not running particularly fast (less than 6 mph pace) but I'm aiming to break the 10 mile mark over the next couple of weeks. I've started dieting recently because carrying excess weight can only limit my progress. Just wondered how you guys managed to build the distance/pace up and if there's anything you do in particular as preparation. 

Just now, BenTheFox said:

Anyone got any training/regime advice? I've managed to get upto 9 miles now and admittedly I'm not running particularly fast (less than 6 mph pace) but I'm aiming to break the 10 mile mark over the next couple of weeks. I've started dieting recently because carrying excess weight can only limit my progress. Just wondered how you guys managed to build the distance/pace up and if there's anything you do in particular as preparation. 

Maybe try 'jeffing' whereby you run, walk, run etc. I don't find it too useful as I'm terrible for getting myself going again once I've stopped (hence why I now don't even stop regularly for water when racing), but some people find it really beneficial.

Aside from that maybe try a few quicker and shorter runs to build your strength and in time you'll find the longer runs much easier. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

get down the gym, do weights. any weights that strengthen core. strengthen legs - leg press, calves, etc.

you'll be amazed how much easier running is when you run with your 'whole' body rather than just dragging the top half along with your legs.

if you're unsure spend the money on a PT and get some help - you can waste time figuring it out yourself but you can make super quick progress with someone giving you the right information.

also, diet - diet, diet, diet. give your body the fuel it needs to run long distances.

Edited by lifted*fox
  • Like 2

On 25/06/2019 at 21:01, waddadamadda said:

After a shocking display at Rothley 10k, I bailed on Sunday’s Prestwold 10k ? Running the Humber Bridge Half this Sunday and was going to try and stick with the 2hr paced but it’s going to be hot hot hot so just getting round is too of the list! 

Good luck buddy

Leamington Half on Sunday. Never done a July HM before so thsi should be interesting, I think the hottest I've done before was the Great North Run a few years ago when it was far too hot for September.

Hills (both up and down) and the heat are two of my least favourtie factors, give me a drab day and a flat course any day! 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Leamington Half on Sunday. Never done a July HM before so thsi should be interesting, I think the hottest I've done before was the Great North Run a few years ago when it was far too hot for September.

Hills (both up and down) and the heat are two of my least favourtie factors, give me a drab day and a flat course any day! 

Good luck buddy

• Thanks 1

On 04/07/2019 at 10:10, David Guiza said:

How did you get on buddy? 

On 01/07/2019 at 18:00, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Not quite a half marathon but I entered the John Fraser 10 at Countesthorpe on Sunday September 8th last night 

limited places left, it sounds a good but challenging undulating sort of route

I’m in for this one! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

How did you get on buddy? 

Not too bad, thanks! Arrived slightly late as parking was a little difficult so went off a little quickly to catch up with everyone for the first 3 miles. Finished in 1:45 which I was happy with, particularly given the time of year! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Guiza said:

Not too bad, thanks! Arrived slightly late as parking was a little difficult so went off a little quickly to catch up with everyone for the first 3 miles. Finished in 1:45 which I was happy with, particularly given the time of year! 

That’s brilliant bud well done :appl:

• Thanks 1

On 03/06/2019 at 14:13, Izzy said:

Cheers Bob. Some great advice as you say and all much appreciated.

Bottom line is, I'm just glad to be doing something these days. As a kid I was a really good runner and my claim to fame is that I was Leicestershire small schools 1500m champion back in the day!

Then 30+ years of doing fvck all and now trying to pick it up again. 

It's all good though and I feel the fittest I have in years :)

How are you getting on now @Izzy ?

hope all is going well and you are still enjoying your running and general fitness etc

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

How are you getting on now @Izzy ?

hope all is going well and you are still enjoying your running and general fitness etc

All good thanks Bob mate :thumbup:

Still doing the treadmill a couple times a week but tend to prefer the Stairmaster machine at the gym if I’m honest.

Started going out running with my daughter recently too but it’s a struggle to keep up!

Definitely improving my fitness and stamina but still a way to go. Must admit I feel great both mentally and physically afterwards and that’s the main thing :thumbup:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone else had any races lately?

Had a month off back in June and spent July slowly ramping back up. Had my first race back yesterday - the Carl Rutt 10k in Whitwick. Ran it last year in 54:34 and managed to knock off 3 minutes from that this time around which of course I'm very happy with. Still a way off my 10k PB, but the course is super hilly in the first half so it's not really surprising. Started near the back and managed to keep reeling people in - first time in a long while that I think I nailed the pacing through the whole race.

I've got Equinox24 coming up in September which I'm woefully unprepared for, so I'll be treating that more as a social event and run-walking to - hopefully - 5laps (50k) or more. I'm then entered in Leicester marathon in October but the injuries put paid to that, so I'll be dropping to the half instead and seeing if I can beat last years time of 1h48.

• Like 1