Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Freeman's Wharfer

Running a Half Marathon

8 hours ago, Xen said:

Nice one!

Give it a few days and you'll be itching to do another ;) I remember having the same thought after my first HM about this time last year, and now I'm about to start my first marathon training cycle...

I was meant to run Bosworth HM yesterday. Ended up not bothering as I've barely ran the last month. Second race I've missed now, so really need to get back in the habit.

Have you done Bosworth before? I was a good 5 minutes slower on that course yesterday compared to other halfs. Not sure if I’ll go back for a second attempt....

On 12/05/2019 at 17:19, Vacamion said:

Two hours twenty.   :scarf:

I struggled towards the end, but I did not stop running, for fear I wouldn’t start again.

I’m not going to lie, it was a bit emotional at the end, as I used to weigh 4 and a bit stones more than I do just now, and my ankles used to melt every time I got past about 9km, so I never thought I could ever, ever do a half marathon.

I am now a little bit broken.  

How on earth do people run run full marathons and more?  I can see how it killed Pheidipeddes.

We are having doner kebab for tea this evening and I may have a sip or two of beer.  :beer:

Marathons are more of a challenge but I’d argue after completing a half the rest is 90% mental rather than physical, hell if your in good enough shape to run 13 miles you’re not far away from peak fitness right?

Well done pal, I know it’s a big commitment training for the run and you should enjoy the rest period but aren’t you intrigued to find out where your limit is?

I reckon you you could push on and do a full. ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, waddadamadda said:

Have you done Bosworth before? I was a good 5 minutes slower on that course yesterday compared to other halfs. Not sure if I’ll go back for a second attempt....

Nope, that would have been my first attempt. Did MK last year in may (waaay too hot) then Robin Hood/Leicester in Sept/Oct.

On 13/05/2019 at 20:22, lifted*fox said:

for anyone wanting to run distance I'd absolutely recommend spending time on your core strength via yoga / pilates / gym work. 

a strong core will ensure you run with your entire body and not just carry the top part about on your legs. 

i've seen a huge increase in my running strength, drive and stamina since starting to lift weights in the gym. 

I wholeheartedly echo this.

I've got an injury which is a combination of a poor gait, stature, and not getting massage/doing too much but a lot of the stuff my physio has recommended is doing core strengthening exercises.

You should be doing short runs, long runs and strength and conditioning if you are running, regardless of whether your aim is a 5k, a 10k, or a marathon. It matters more the further you run but the principles apply in the same.

• Like 1

West End 8 yesterday. Hated every minute of it lol The event itself was great, but my own run was so frustrating. Couldn't hit my usual paces and had to stop and walk a couple times. Still annoyed about the second water station that they said was at mile 6, but wasn't til mile 7 (with only a mile to go, whats the point?). Didn't even get anywhere close to my HM pace despite running 5 miles fewer... Still managed a sprint at the finish though :thumbup:

Swithland 6 next up in a couple weeks. Will be the first race (other than parkrun) that I've done twice, so will be a nice barometer to see how much I've improved in the last year. 

Edited by Xen

On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 09:25, Bellend Sebastian said:

Got bullied into entering the Leicester Half Marathon by some relatives at a family wedding on Saturday.

Thought I'd better test how bad an idea this is by going for a run this morning. Did ten (very slow miles) so maybe this is a goer after all

I'm also doing the Leicester half in October, my first ever half marathon. Was supposed to be doing the Royal Parks half in London but can't do that so plumped for one nearer to home. Will be a test doing it without much spectator support but aiming to train for it properly.

22 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I did Tough Mudder at Belvoir Castle yesterday, which I suppose is sort of training for the Leicester Half I've booked in for.

I'd definitely file it under fun/awful

Hahaha my missus did that, I was watching. That's my half marathon prep so far.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Hahaha my missus did that, I was watching. That's my half marathon prep so far.

Two days on my abs still don't work properly so if I lie on my back I get stuck like a turtle.

Half marathon training is pretty straightforward if the goal is just to get round and not set the world alight with your time.  I was a lot younger than I am when I did mine and I just built up the miles gradually and did it in under 2 hours.

Want to better my time this time round, which is probably a tall order

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm also doing the Leicester half in October, my first ever half marathon. Was supposed to be doing the Royal Parks half in London but can't do that so plumped for one nearer to home. Will be a test doing it without much spectator support but aiming to train for it properly.

Spectator support isn't nearly as bad as it's made out - at least for the bulk of HM runners. Last year I ran Robin Hood HM 2 weeks prior to Leicester and the support was notably different, but RH was a lovely day for spectators and Leicester was still reasonably well supported despite being torrential rain, particularly in Thurmaston/Birstall. 

As long as you're somewhere in the bulk of the pack then you'll have plenty other runners around as well. It's the slow half-marathoners and the Full marathon runners (me this year...who dont get as much support, sadly.

Edited by Xen
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Xen said:

West End 8 yesterday. Hated every minute of it lol The event itself was great, but my own run was so frustrating. Couldn't hit my usual paces and had to stop and walk a couple times. Still annoyed about the second water station that they said was at mile 6, but wasn't til mile 7 (with only a mile to go, whats the point?). Didn't even get anywhere close to my HM pace despite running 5 miles fewer... Still managed a sprint at the finish though :thumbup:

Swithland 6 next up in a couple weeks. Will be the first race (other than parkrun) that I've done twice, so will be a nice barometer to see how much I've improved in the last year. 

I loved West End 8 yesterday! Missed my silver standard time by a couple of minutes but found it much easier than expected!

What’s the Swithland 6 like? I’m signed up to that, Rothley 10K, Lutterworth 5 and the Watermead challenge as well. 

Liverpool RnR Half this weekend and then the joys of marathon training starts again.......

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, waddadamadda said:

I loved West End 8 yesterday! Missed my silver standard time by a couple of minutes but found it much easier than expected!

What’s the Swithland 6 like? I’m signed up to that, Rothley 10K, Lutterworth 5 and the Watermead challenge as well. 

Liverpool RnR Half this weekend and then the joys of marathon training starts again.......

Do you run with a club, then? Pretty much everyone from my club (Birstall) seemed to love it, except for me and one other runner who stuck by me as we dragged each other round lol. I was probably 80% fit after a few weeks off with illness, so I'm not too surprised it wasn't my best performance, I just have a habit of setting targets based on my PBs rather than on my current fitness level, which means I've set myself up to be disappointed on days like yesterday haha.

I really enjoyed Swithland last year, my second ever race* and it seemed to go pretty well. Running along the reservoir wall is awesome, but there's nowhere to hide for that stretch if its sunny/warm. The third mile is a fairly steady climb and slowed me down a lot last year, but I'm crap on hills anyway lol. The end is quite nice, bit of a hill leading up to it before you turn right onto the start/finish straight for the last 100m downhill, and its a fast finish. 

I was really looking forward to Watermead, but I'm away on holiday and land back into East Midlands from Spain pretty much as it starts lol, gutted. Lovely place to run around.

Marathon training for me started last week. My plan is 18 weeks but I've added on a bit to account for the holiday, and I'm signed up to run Equinox 24hr two weeks before... Equinox won't be a non-stop effort though, just taking it 'easy' and going for 5 laps (this year...)

*First race I could actually race though, did MK half in early May and it was waaaaaay too hot. The official aid stations were supplemented by spectators with cooler-boxes full of ice poles they were handing out lol

5 hours ago, Xen said:

Do you run with a club, then? Pretty much everyone from my club (Birstall) seemed to love it, except for me and one other runner who stuck by me as we dragged each other round lol. I was probably 80% fit after a few weeks off with illness, so I'm not too surprised it wasn't my best performance, I just have a habit of setting targets based on my PBs rather than on my current fitness level, which means I've set myself up to be disappointed on days like yesterday haha.

I really enjoyed Swithland last year, my second ever race* and it seemed to go pretty well. Running along the reservoir wall is awesome, but there's nowhere to hide for that stretch if its sunny/warm. The third mile is a fairly steady climb and slowed me down a lot last year, but I'm crap on hills anyway lol. The end is quite nice, bit of a hill leading up to it before you turn right onto the start/finish straight for the last 100m downhill, and its a fast finish. 

I was really looking forward to Watermead, but I'm away on holiday and land back into East Midlands from Spain pretty much as it starts lol, gutted. Lovely place to run around.

Marathon training for me started last week. My plan is 18 weeks but I've added on a bit to account for the holiday, and I'm signed up to run Equinox 24hr two weeks before... Equinox won't be a non-stop effort though, just taking it 'easy' and going for 5 laps (this year...)

*First race I could actually race though, did MK half in early May and it was waaaaaay too hot. The official aid stations were supplemented by spectators with cooler-boxes full of ice poles they were handing out lol

I’ve just joined Hinckley RC. I’ve gone from being a shit runner to a slightly better than average runner over these last 18 months so hoping a club will push me on a bit. I love a hill so I think that’s why I enjoyed yesterday so much! 

My first big official race was the London Marathon last year....... I entered the ballot for a laugh despite not being able to run a non stop 5k and got in. Ran it badly but it changed my life massively. 

One of my good friends runs for Birstall.

• Like 1

On 20/05/2019 at 12:58, waddadamadda said:

I’m up in Southport now with the wife and 6 year old for a mini break then drop down to Liverpool for the half marathon on Sunday. I’m running in a Green Beaumont R C vest if you see me bud say hello. Good luck buddy

my training leading up has been shocking due to plantar fasciitis in my right foot but will try my best anyway

• Like 2

Every. Single. Time that I go above 25mpw I end up getting shin splints in my left leg. So ****ing annoying as I can never get more than a month or two of consistent running. Resting up at the minute and should be fine for Swithland next week, but starting to wonder if I need a longer period out to fully recover (praying it's not a stress fracture...), which then puts marathon plans in jeopardy... I could always drop down to the half, but I'd built it up in my head and I'd be gutted to pull out before I've even really started training for it.

Should probably go and see a physio but finding the time for it at the minute is proving difficult.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Xen said:

Every. Single. Time that I go above 25mpw I end up getting shin splints in my left leg. So ****ing annoying as I can never get more than a month or two of consistent running. Resting up at the minute and should be fine for Swithland next week, but starting to wonder if I need a longer period out to fully recover (praying it's not a stress fracture...), which then puts marathon plans in jeopardy... I could always drop down to the half, but I'd built it up in my head and I'd be gutted to pull out before I've even really started training for it.

Should probably go and see a physio but finding the time for it at the minute is proving difficult.

Have you tried training on softer ground?

i really struggled with this, until I moved my training to watermead and the grand union canal. The downside is it’s completely flat but you can do additional hill training.

13 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Have you tried training on softer ground?

i really struggled with this, until I moved my training to watermead and the grand union canal. The downside is it’s completely flat but you can do additional hill training.

I mix it up a bit as I live right by the canal in Loughborough, but it was pretty much my only route for the first 6-9 months of running, so I'm thoroughly bored of it now. Might have to suck it up and stick to that for a few months while I build back up. The lack of hills isn't too bad as there's no major hills on any of my other routes anyway.

First and foremost though is rest. Tried to head along the canal yesterday and less than a 100yds in I could tell it was a bad idea so went back and got on the exercise bike instead.

19 minutes ago, Xen said:

I mix it up a bit as I live right by the canal in Loughborough, but it was pretty much my only route for the first 6-9 months of running, so I'm thoroughly bored of it now. Might have to suck it up and stick to that for a few months while I build back up. The lack of hills isn't too bad as there's no major hills on any of my other routes anyway.

First and foremost though is rest. Tried to head along the canal yesterday and less than a 100yds in I could tell it was a bad idea so went back and got on the exercise bike instead.

Injuries can be so demoralising, I’ve always found it really hard to come back from them in reasonable shape. Running is the only thing that stops me being obese, so a lengthy lay off and I balloon. :beer:

5 hours ago, Xen said:

Hope things get better for you soon @Xen  :fc:

my plantar fasciitis is the worst it’s been these last couple of days since it was diagnosed a month or so ago. Have been training lightly giving myself plenty of rest in between etc

Sunday will be fun. :doh:

19 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

I’m up in Southport now with the wife and 6 year old for a mini break then drop down to Liverpool for the half marathon on Sunday. I’m running in a Green Beaumont R C vest if you see me bud say hello. Good luck buddy

my training leading up has been shocking due to plantar fasciitis in my right foot but will try my best anyway

I’ll either be in my Hinckley Allsorts vest or my pink unicorn one with Badass written on the back....

Hope Sunday goes to plan for you. I’m not too sure how my run will go as this will be the 3rd weekend of 13 miles for my poor legs. Swithland 6 will be a welcome break next weekend! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, waddadamadda said:

I’ll either be in my Hinckley Allsorts vest or my pink unicorn one with Badass written on the back....

Hope Sunday goes to plan for you. I’m not too sure how my run will go as this will be the 3rd weekend of 13 miles for my poor legs. Swithland 6 will be a welcome break next weekend! 

Good luck buddy. :D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Xen said:

Hope you recover O.K. mate :fc:

What is 25mpw? 

I've just started running again recently (after 30 years of not bothering) and gradually increasing my speed/distance on the treadmill. So far I'm only at 5km in about half an hour but on the treadmill I run at gradient 1 and speed 11. Would that be in km?

On 29/04/2019 at 15:08, Xen said:

Injuries are so f*in annoying. Fingers crossed it stays OK for ya, @Bob Weasel Fox.

I've had shin splints numerous times before, always when I get up to about 25mpw, always in the same leg. True to form, came back again early April. Like you I took a week off over Easter and been doing a sh*t-ton of calf-raises and the like, and I *think* I'm finally over it. Just as well, too, seeing as I've got 4 races in the next 5 weeks, including a half on the 12th lol

Best of luck for Liverpool! Is that the Rock'n'roll one? Heard good things about that course.

Signed up for the full at Leicester this year as my first marathon, so gonna be putting in a ton of work over the summer for that. 

Good luck at Leicester. Have you run any of the course before? I've done it a couple of times and if it is the same course the support along the way is pretty thin once you get past the split for the half marathon. Maybe they have changed it though? It went out to Rearsby and Thrussington and it can be pretty quiet out there. Well worth getting a family member to be in that area just to give you a lift.

When I did it you ran (well more like crawled for me) up New Walk for the last mile which is pretty tough. Check the course details and if you live anywhere near that part of Leicestershire I'd go and run the rural bit a couple of times as it can drag but once you know it it doesn't seem as far.

Was well marshalled though when I did it.

• Like 1