Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Freeman's Wharfer

Running a Half Marathon

3 hours ago, Xen said:

'Grats mate.

Not too far behind you, just sneaking in under 1.21. Very happy with that given the lack of consistent training. I'll get you next year :thumbup:

Next up, Equinox...

Good effort bud. I thought the course was great and really enjoyed it. You doing the Leicester half bud? 

I have never done Equinox but hear from club mates it’s a good one

38 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Good effort bud. I thought the course was great and really enjoyed it. You doing the Leicester half bud? 

I have never done Equinox but hear from club mates it’s a good one

The course was great, really enjoyed it. Hills to keep it interesting, but not as severe as some of the other league races. Last couple miles seemed to go on forever though, kept looking for the turn in to the field and it never seemed to arrive haha.

Yup, I had signed up for the full marathon, but on-off injuries put paid to that idea pretty swiftly so I've dropped to the half. Hoping for slightly better weather than last year... lol 1:47:54 last time, but I'd be happy with anything under 1:50.

Not really prepared for Equinox, but I've got a solo entry so there's no pressure and I can do as much or as little as I like. Pretty decent contingent from Birstall are going, and there's also a Reddit running meetup at the race so it's become more of a social thing for me than an outright 'race'. Hoping for 5 laps/50k (which should be easily doable even if I walk the whole thing) then anything more is a bonus. If I like it I can pick out another ultra in the future and properly train for it, if not then it's checked off the list and I never have to even consider it again lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

That’s good going Bob, nice one :thumbup:

How the Fvck does Mo Farah do 13 miles in 59 mins though? That’s crazy pace! 

It's insane.

Until I started running I didn't really appreciate how fast these guys are.

I've done a half in 1'43 which is circa 7.45 per mile, and the quickest I've ever run a mile is about 6.30 which isn't really that fast. World record marathon (2.01) pace is 4.40 per mile, it's incredible.

As a slight side note, the Nike Breaking 2 doc (trying to break the 2 hour barrier) made with National Geographic is a great insight. Eluid Kipchoge is an amazing human being.

P.s well done @Bob Weasel Fox, good time that!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

It's insane.

I've done a half in 1'43 which is circa 7.45 per mile, and the quickest I've ever run a mile is about 6.30 which isn't really that fast. World record marathon (2.01) pace is 4.40 per mile, it's incredible.

As a slight side note, the Nike Breaking 2 doc (trying to break the 2 hour barrier) made with National Geographic is a great insight. Eluid Kipchoge is an amazing human being.

I ran 6x400m at around 1:20/lap back in July for the Rainbows 100lap challenge, with about 15-20 minutes rest between each lap. Any more laps than that (or less rest) and I would've struggled to maintain anywhere close to that. 

Kipchoge's marathon record pace is quicker than I ran each of those intervals, and hes doing it ~105 times in succession with no rest.

Those guys are on a whole 'nother level, it's insane.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ajthefox said:

It's insane.

I dream of those sorts of times.  Judging by what I managed yesterday, I've an outside chance of a sub 2 hour Leicester Half, which given my advancing years I'd be ecstatic with, but I'll be going some to do that

Edited by Bellend Sebastian

14 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I dream of those sorts of times.  Judging by what I managed yesterday, I've an outside chance of a sub 2 hour Leicester Half, which given my advancing years I'd be ecstatic with, but I'll be going some to do that

I think at many levels a sub 2 hour half marathon is good going. My best time so far is 1hr 47mins which I did last year at 47 but that is with training of 25-30 miles a week 

good luck bud

On 09/09/2019 at 19:13, SystonFox said:

Someone will break a 2 hour marathon one day in the very near future I am sure. I don’t know how they’ll do it but I’m certain they will

New HM world record of 58:01 at the weekend.

Kipchoge's second attempt at Breaking2 in a few weeks (although it won't count as an official WR).

We're edging closer and closer to that milestone, and if Kipchoge manages it in the 'artificial' conditions then the psychology of hitting that time in an actual race changes massively. Probably see it broken (ofiicially) at Berlin within the next 5-6 years I reckon.

9 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

How’s your hamstring buddy?

I think it's ok, thanks for asking.

Was a bit worried as I've never had a hamstring injury before (having injured just about everything else) and I know you've got to be careful with them.

I've stretched the heck out of it and it seems fine now; will run on it on Sunday, we'll see how it goes

• Like 1

I normally run about 7 miles as when I used to get weird foot pains if I ran any more than this, but I managed a (pretty lethargic) 10 mile run the other day with no injuries... How much harder is the extra 3 miles?

I did notice the last couple of miles were a real slog but I didn't take any gels or anything

Edited by Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

6 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Sounds fun/ exhausting…. How far?  And how did you get on?

2 10k laps done so far, had a bit of a break then back out again in a bit - another 21hours left to go lol

Disrupted training so 50k is the first goal, 8 laps for 50miles is the stretch goal then I'll have a nap lol

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Xen said:

2 10k laps done so far, had a bit of a break then back out again in a bit - another 21hours left to go lol

Disrupted training so 50k is the first goal, 8 laps for 50miles is the stretch goal then I'll have a nap lol

Good lord…. Fantastic effort !!!

• Thanks 1

I’m probably not the best person to half as I’ve been known to wing a half on no training 🙄 

Adrenaline plays a major part in those last few miles and fuelling your run will help massively. I never fuel a half however I’m on a PB mission at Leicester and I know where I crash so my other half has been given strict instructions of where to be so I don’t have to carry anything with me.

With regards to your foot pain, have you checked out different lacing techniques? It could also be related to your calf muscle so make sure you stretch well after any run even if only 5K. 

On 20/09/2019 at 09:35, Bob Weasel Fox said:

I’ve just signed up for my first full marathon

Windermere in May 2020

i am probably doing it for charity and can’t decide between Alzheimer’s/Dementia (as both my parents have one form or another) or Mind (MH Charity) as again lots of friends and family I know have had MH battles etc

Nice one Bob :thumbup:

Both great charities mate and worthy causes. Post the link to the fundraising page when you've set it up and I'll sponsor you a few quid.

What a fantastic venue for a marathon too - lovely part of the world.

• Thanks 1

Despite all the training injuries I've managed to get to Equinox and drag myself round, only to be sidelined after 4 laps with a steadily-worsening fever, completely unrelated to running. So annoying but at least it'll stop me from -literally - running myself into the ground 

My first goal was 5 laps so I think I'm going to try and get myself round for another one (mostly walking) shortly then just sleep it off.

Best moment so far was running back into camp after my second lap and hearing the Leicester score on someone's radio ;)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Xen said:

Despite all the training injuries I've managed to get to Equinox and drag myself round, only to be sidelined after 4 laps with a steadily-worsening fever, completely unrelated to running. So annoying but at least it'll stop me from -literally - running myself into the ground 

My first goal was 5 laps so I think I'm going to try and get myself round for another one (mostly walking) shortly then just sleep it off.

Best moment so far was running back into camp after my second lap and hearing the Leicester score on someone's radio ;)

Top effort bud, hope your fever gets better for you mate 

i think there should be a contingent from Beaumont Running Club there, who I try and train with as much as possible 

• Thanks 1