Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Freeman's Wharfer

Running a Half Marathon

In three weeks time, I'm going to be running the Royal Parks Half Marathon in London so thought I'd draw on the support and experience of the LCFC community...

Have you ever done a half marathon? And, if so, what tips would you give for the day?

Training was going pretty well up to a couple of weeks ago when I injured my knee playing football. Really hoping that it will be ok as I don't want to have to pull out of the race but it came at a really crucial period of training where I was due to up my distances (I've only done about two-thirds of the distance thus far).

I'll be picking training back up again over the next week and that will be the real test of the knee (completely innocuous incident which led to a sharp pain in the centre of my knee cap - possible ligament tweak/strain - and never felt a sensation like it) but I'm pretty determined to get through the race even if I have to take it steady.

In all honesty, one of the hardest parts so far has been raising the sponsorship so I'm also going to shamelessly plug that here: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/JamieBarnard88

I'm running for the Alzheimer's Society and any support you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Good luck with knee recovery, I have issues with mine when running from time to time. 

Advice, just pace yourself. Don't get caught up in the moment and try to break records. Take it easy, find a comfortable pace (especially if you've only done 2/3 of the full distance).

Mind you, don't worry about the extra 3rd - the adrenaline and crowds cheering you on towards the end will lift you and carry you home. 

Make sure you have a good breakfast (not too close to the race obviously) and a nice big carby dinner the night before. Also, if you doubt your ability to go the distance then take some energy gels with you to knock back when you start to lag. They'll pump energy to your legs and keep you going. 

Aside from that, find your happy running place and go there. Enjoy yourself and it'll fly by. 

Good luck. 

20 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

In three weeks time, I'm going to be running the Royal Parks Half Marathon in London so thought I'd draw on the support and experience of the LCFC community...

Have you ever done a half marathon? And, if so, what tips would you give for the day?

Training was going pretty well up to a couple of weeks ago when I injured my knee playing football. Really hoping that it will be ok as I don't want to have to pull out of the race but it came at a really crucial period of training where I was due to up my distances (I've only done about two-thirds of the distance thus far).

I'll be picking training back up again over the next week and that will be the real test of the knee (completely innocuous incident which led to a sharp pain in the centre of my knee cap - possible ligament tweak/strain - and never felt a sensation like it) but I'm pretty determined to get through the race even if I have to take it steady.

In all honesty, one of the hardest parts so far has been raising the sponsorship so I'm also going to shamelessly plug that here: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/JamieBarnard88

I'm running for the Alzheimer's Society and any support you can give would be greatly appreciated!

It's great fun and a real sense of achievement, so make sure you enjoy it. I did the silverstone Half in March and really enjoyed it. Don't go trying to break records and you will be fine, best of luck to you.

Did the Great North Run last weekend so it's pretty fresh for me.

As Strokes and Daz have said, sticking to your pace is key. I've been running a lot over the last few years and I'm quite good at keeping my own pace but it is easy to get drawn into the buzz. If you do a few miles at a faster pace than usual you could easily make it a lot harder for yourself later down the line.

I would try and get up to 10 or so miles in the next couple weeks if you can manage it but I say that tentatively as you don't want to overdo the training. You don't really want to be doing much in the week leading up to it really as you want to be fully rested for the race.

Also, I received half of my sponsorship within the last 3 weeks of the race and about 15% in the last week, so don't worry too much. Most people leave donating until the last minute.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Couldn't find anywhere else to put this, but just seen this astounding split times for Kipchoge after breaking the Marathon World Record in Berlin. Surely a matter of time now until the two hour mark is broken.

I'm a keen runner and have competed in around 10 half and full marathons and I would struggle to keep up past 700/800 metres when running at full tilt, let alone for 26 miles!

DnNTi3oW4AE6D_8.jpg:large

• Like 2

2 hours ago, David Guiza said:

Couldn't find anywhere else to put this, but just seen this astounding split times for Kipchoge after breaking the Marathon World Record in Berlin. Surely a matter of time now until the two hour mark is broken.

I'm a keen runner and have competed in around 10 half and full marathons and I would struggle to keep up past 700/800 metres when running at full tilt, let alone for 26 miles!

DnNTi3oW4AE6D_8.jpg:large

Yeah it’s absolutely incredible, the dedication and training to get to that level is frightening. You know as a runner how far a minor injury sets you back, can you imagine how hard it would be to maintain that ability :nono:

Edited by Strokes
  • Like 2

So if it’s your first one...

1. Drink at the water stations even if you don’t feel you need it.

2. Do not arrive early and go off with the front runners. Not only will it be demoralising for the first hour being constantly overtaken, the pace will also be too fast. Instead, go off 3/4 of the way back and grow into the race and do some overtaking of your own.

3. Drink 2 litres of water the night before, eat pasta and have one glass of red wine to help oxygenate the blood.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Swan Lesta said:

So if it’s your first one...

1. Drink at the water stations even if you don’t feel you need it.

2. Do not arrive early and go off with the front runners. Not only will it be demoralising for the first hour being constantly overtaken, the pace will also be too fast. Instead, go off 3/4 of the way back and grow into the race and do some overtaking of your own.

3. Drink 2 litres of water the night before, eat pasta and have one glass of red wine to help oxygenate the blood.

I'd add, no sex or masterbation for a few days before.

• Haha 1

I injured me knee when marathon training last year which meant I was unable to do my 2 final longest training runs, and only ran a handful of times over the final 5-6 weeks before the marathon. I focussed instead on cycling to maintain stamina / endurance - the action of cycling also has a natural healing effect on the knee and surrounding area. I also did lots of yoga.

On the day I ran pain free which was a massive, welcome surprise as I had previously been unable to run for much longer than 10 minutes before being in pain. It was a deeply unpleasant experience most of the time as 26 miles is a really long way but still, without pain I knew I could finish.

Obviously all injuries are different but I think cycling and yoga are nearly always a good bet as part of any runner's broader training.

Energy gels are a great tip as well, particularly as you may not have done all the long runs as part of your training. Those and race day adrenalin will no doubt get you over the line. Good luck.

Edited by James.
  • Like 2

This year will be about my 15th half marathon with last year being my on of 1.47.

Tips...be mentally prepared.

Make sure you have and can run atleast 10-11 miles a week before atleast. Last week just relax but do a couple of short runs just to keep sharp.

On your last long training run do exactly as you would the race. Eat what you will for the race/ wear the clothes you will for the race so you know what's right for you.

Pace yourself....it's a long run so don't sprint off...I write my split times on a piece of paper and have that in my pocket. Don't eat/ drink gel bars IF you've not had them before on race day it will mess you up.

Can't emphasis the importance of the mind- it's 70% of the battle.

Main thing is enjoy it and think positive and you'll love the finish.... remember..pain is temporary!!!!

I echo what Raj said, particularly in terms of eating habits in training and during the race.

On my first half I took on a few bits (and too much water too quickly) that people were handing out and I'm sure it made it worse for me. 

I think the best thing to do is to try and get in to some form of routine or at least to a point where you know what works for you and what doesn't, and then make small changes.

That goes for pace setting too.

Anyone else running the Robin Hood half on Sunday?

My second HM, after a pretty awful debut at the MK half in May. Great course and well organised, but was way too hot and ended up walking a lot of it, finishing around 2:15.

Feeling a lot more confident this time and fingers crossed should come in around 1:55. Tapering at the minute and trying to stave off the dreaded shin splints. Itching to go for a run to get rid of some nervous energy but don't want to overdo it so close to the race lol

8 hours ago, Xen said:

Anyone else running the Robin Hood half on Sunday?

My second HM, after a pretty awful debut at the MK half in May. Great course and well organised, but was way too hot and ended up walking a lot of it, finishing around 2:15.

Feeling a lot more confident this time and fingers crossed should come in around 1:55. Tapering at the minute and trying to stave off the dreaded shin splints. Itching to go for a run to get rid of some nervous energy but don't want to overdo it so close to the race lol

Conserve the potential energy for the race!!!

It's so easy to overdo it in the last week. Any training you do now will not be beneficial. Enjoy what you've done,keep fit,go for a few walks and eat well. Try and sleep well the night before and visualise what you want to achieve...I ALWAYS struggle to sleep the night before!!! LOL

6 minutes ago, Xen said:

Great day yesterday, really enjoyed it :)

Struggled a bit throughout with stitch, blisters and the like, but the crowd support was fantastic throughout and kept me going. That hill towards the beginning was a slog to say the least. Downhills made up for it though.

Ended up coming in at 1:53:09, which is way beyond what I expected when I signed up back in May :D Even better considering my watch measured 13.33 miles, and plenty of others had the same...

Sore as hell now though. Still, it hasn't stopped me from being talked into signing up to the Leicester Half in a couple of weeks as well haha. Not sure I'll push quite so hard at that one, but should be good fun! :)

Well done mate, I went and ran 15 mile event last weds without any real training beyond some 3 mile morning runs and my hips were shagged at the 11 mile mark! Finished but not very gracefully!

You however should be proud of yourself. Anything sub 2 hours for a first go is really good. Rest for 4/5 days now and then go out for a few short runs to get your body back into it!

Congrats - Leics half is good.... The Hell of The Midlands! 

6 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Well done mate, I went and ran 15 mile event last weds without any real training beyond some 3 mile morning runs and my hips were shagged at the 11 mile mark! Finished but not very gracefully!

You however should be proud of yourself. Anything sub 2 hours for a first go is really good. Rest for 4/5 days now and then go out for a few short runs to get your body back into it!

Congrats - Leics half is good.... The Hell of The Midlands! 

Thanks!

13.1 (+0.23) is the furthest I've ever ran and I'm properly beat up now haha, can't imagine what 15 would do to ya! Congrats on finishing though!

It's actually my second half. Did my first in Milton Keynes back in May, when it was ridiculously hot and I was coming back off an injury so minimal training. Had to walk a fair chunk and got 2:16 or something at that one - first goal for this was to just keep running the whole way around!

That's the plan, a week of recovery with maybe a couple light runs or some time on the exercise bike to keep things loose, then same again the week after.

Pretty sure any half marathon+ feels like hell after you've finished haha. Still, doesn't stop us from jumping straight back into another one after lol.

Edited by Xen

2 minutes ago, Xen said:

Thanks!

13.1 (+0.23) is the furthest I've ever ran and I'm properly beat up now haha, can't imagine what 15 would do to ya! Congrats on finishing though!

It's actually my second half. Did my first in Milton Keynes back in May, when it was ridiculously hot and I was coming back off an injury so minimal training. Had to walk a fair chunk and got 2:16 or something at that one - first goal for this was to just keep running the whole way around!

That's the plan, a week of recovery with maybe a couple light runs or some time on the exercise bike to keep things loose, then same again the week after.

Pretty sure any half marathon+ feels like hell after you've finished haha. Still, doesn't stop us from jumping straight back into another one after lol.

I can only do the off road courses due to historical injuries. I mainly train for mountain marathon score events which involve navigation to chosen checkpoints. I find that more fun than road running. I did the votwo Jurassic coast challenge a few years back which is a marathon a day for three days from Lyme Regis to swanage a long the Jurassic coast footpath. Whilst that may seem insane there were peeps there doing it in one go within a 72 hour time period... 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I can only do the off road courses due to historical injuries. I mainly train for mountain marathon score events which involve navigation to chosen checkpoints. I find that more fun than road running. I did the votwo Jurassic coast challenge a few years back which is a marathon a day for three days from Lyme Regis to swanage a long the Jurassic coast footpath. Whilst that may seem insane there were peeps there doing it in one go within a 72 hour time period... 

Ouch, got to sting that has, fair play for that :appl:

Congratulations @Xen, decent time that is mate. I really need to start my training again but I keep putting it off .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m also looking at doing my first half marathon next year (April) but am finding it increasingly difficult dragging myself out the house on these dark nights just to do 6k runs. I’m still managing 3 runs per week, it’s just so much harder to motivate myself at the moment. 

13 hours ago, silebyboy said:

I’m also looking at doing my first half marathon next year (April) but am finding it increasingly difficult dragging myself out the house on these dark nights just to do 6k runs. I’m still managing 3 runs per week, it’s just so much harder to motivate myself at the moment. 

Ive always found it a lot easier to do early morning runs, than evening runs. Training through the winter can be challenging but overall I prefer it to the summer, the ground is much softer in the winter and my knees can withstand much heavier training.

• Like 1