Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Freeman's Wharfer

Running a Half Marathon

4 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Anyone entered any other half marathon runs coming up soon? 

I have looked at a few but work and childcare etc keep proving difficult to get one that suits etc 

Tempted by Run Silverstone Nov 24

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

Tempted by Run Silverstone Nov 24

A friend of mine is back in the area for that one and suggested the 10k, but I've not ran a HM yet this year so I'm also looking at the longer distance. Definitely tempting.

• Like 1

On 03/10/2019 at 16:55, Xen said:

Not much else they could do really. These races must be a nightmare to manage even when everything goes smoothly, so a last minute scramble to get everything ready was never going to work out.

Unfortunate, but parts of the course are very prone to flooding so holding a race at this time of year is always going to be a risk, and it's been particularly heavy rain recently.

People have a right to be annoyed at the situation, but anyone getting angry at the organisers need to grow up. They've given as much notice as they reasonably could and kept entrants pretty well informed.

Mate of mine was signed up to run both Warwick and Coventry half marathons last year (I think) in March, but both fell to the snow. Snow! In March! Try planning for that. I know the UK weather can throw up anything but still...

6 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Mate of mine was signed up to run both Warwick and Coventry half marathons last year (I think) in March, but both fell to the snow. Snow! In March! Try planning for that. I know the UK weather can throw up anything but still...

I know too many people who missed out on the Leicester HM and - not wanting to waste their training - signed up last-minute for either the Great Eastern Run (cancelled, terrorism scare) or the Great Birmingham Run (shortened, 'flooding'/terrorism scare). Both turned out to be false alarms, I believe.

Can't catch a break...

1 hour ago, Xen said:

I know too many people who missed out on the Leicester HM and - not wanting to waste their training - signed up last-minute for either the Great Eastern Run (cancelled, terrorism scare) or the Great Birmingham Run (shortened, 'flooding'/terrorism scare). Both turned out to be false alarms, I believe.

Can't catch a break...

Whenever I seem to run a marathon it's ridiculously hot, I've only done two so far but one was late September and 20 plus, the other was early May Bank Holiday and it was the hottest for years, nearing 30. Normally May Bank Holidays are cr4p weather...

Just very unpredictable and unless organisers prepare for all conditions, will be hit by the unexpected. It's not easy for them to make the decision to cancel.

33 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Whenever I seem to run a marathon it's ridiculously hot, I've only done two so far but one was late September and 20 plus, the other was early May Bank Holiday and it was the hottest for years, nearing 30. Normally May Bank Holidays are cr4p weather...

Just very unpredictable and unless organisers prepare for all conditions, will be hit by the unexpected. It's not easy for them to make the decision to cancel.

That wasn't MK in 2018, was it? I did the HM there which was my first race of any distance (other than 1 parkrun) and it was horrible to run in. Pretty much everyone was walking at one point or another, numerous people needing medical attention. Like you say you never expect it to be that nice on a bank holiday haha.

My first marathon should be Manchester at the start of April, which is possibly one of the least predictable times of year weather-wise. It could just as easily be high 20s and bright sunshine, or freezing cold and icy underfoot. Going to be interesting either way...

24 minutes ago, Xen said:

That wasn't MK in 2018, was it? I did the HM there which was my first race of any distance (other than 1 parkrun) and it was horrible to run in. Pretty much everyone was walking at one point or another, numerous people needing medical attention. Like you say you never expect it to be that nice on a bank holiday haha.

My first marathon should be Manchester at the start of April, which is possibly one of the least predictable times of year weather-wise. It could just as easily be high 20s and bright sunshine, or freezing cold and icy underfoot. Going to be interesting either way...

Yes, bang on, was ridiculous. At mile 22 I started feeling it a bit and so just made sure I got back OK. Lots of walk running.

Good luck with that. I wouldn't mind doing Chester's International (cuts into Wales so they make a big deal) Marathon one day, early October that is. And pretty flat so good for PB's.

7 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Thinking of doing the Silverstone one in November.

Might be a different and have some novelty value, even though I'm not remotely interested in motor racing

Just hope it isn't windy as that route will be about as open as it gets. And long stretches of tarmac!

I personally don't like repetition too much.

On 14/10/2019 at 13:29, BenTheFox said:

Did my first half marathon yesterday. Manchester Half in a time of 02:03:47. I started running about six months ago and I could only just about complete a mile. Very happy to have completed a half marathon and in a much better time than I thought I would too.

IMG-20191013-WA0003.jpg

Good effort Ben :appl:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Anyone got any half marathons coming up?

No, but I did the Shepshed 7 today, which was fun. I think I might look out for 10k races as I think I've got more chance of improving my time over shorter distances, as I just don't get the time to train for 10 miles plus stuff

12 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

No, but I did the Shepshed 7 today, which was fun. I think I might look out for 10k races as I think I've got more chance of improving my time over shorter distances, as I just don't get the time to train for 10 miles plus stuff

Good effort. Shepshed 7 is meant to be a tough run (speaking to others) 

• 2 weeks later...

Disaster struck last Thursday as when training with my job I twisted in an awkward manner and have hurt my back

been docs and on nuproxen and been off from work the last 3 shifts. No running. Got to hope my back starts to feel better soon, can’t sleep at nights and back is twinging like crazy and causing me lots of pain. Was previously running into form and looking forward to next race.

Next Sunday I should be running the Silverstone half marathon (ironically as a replacement for the rained off Leicester half). If I haven’t turned a corner in the next few days this will become less likely 

gutted doesn’t come close 

being a wimp I hate back pain also 

:fc: it gets better soon

• Sad 2

On 17/11/2019 at 19:20, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Disaster struck last Thursday as when training with my job I twisted in an awkward manner and have hurt my back

been docs and on nuproxen and been off from work the last 3 shifts. No running. Got to hope my back starts to feel better soon, can’t sleep at nights and back is twinging like crazy and causing me lots of pain. Was previously running into form and looking forward to next race.

Next Sunday I should be running the Silverstone half marathon (ironically as a replacement for the rained off Leicester half). If I haven’t turned a corner in the next few days this will become less likely 

gutted doesn’t come close 

being a wimp I hate back pain also 

:fc: it gets better soon

Fingers crossed for you bud. Always so frustrating when it's a non-running injury which is keeping you out of races. Hope it heals quick.

Ran the 3mile poppy run with Birstall RC the other week which went really well. Quick, but not quite my fastest time though it felt a comfortable pace and on a flatter 5k course I'm pretty sure I'd be in PB (sub-23) shape. Almost got taken out by an overly-excitable Jack Russell in the third mile though and my hip struggled for a few days after (had to twist funny to avoid punting the dog into the Soar...lol) but seems to be back to normal now.

I'm also at Silverstone, but opted for the 10k instead. Trying to set a strong baseline so I have a better idea of what paces to use going into my marathon training (Manchester) following the Hanson's plan. My PB is very soft (49:17) so I'm hoping to dip into the 47:XXs if everything goes to plan.

• Like 1