Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Freeman's Wharfer

Running a Half Marathon

On 30/12/2019 at 08:39, Bellend Sebastian said:

Did six miles yesterday, some of which were a lot quicker than usual and now my legs feel like someone else's, and not in a good way

Good effort bud

ive just started red January (already collecting for Mind MH Charity as ruining full marathon at Windermere in May) 

2 miles on the treadmill only today but some days that’s all I will manage 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Good effort bud

ive just started red January (already collecting for Mind MH Charity as ruining full marathon at Windermere in May) 

I had to look that up, but a very noble cause, hope it goes well for you.

You'll be in tip-top condition if you stick to that.

I'm in better shape now than I was after last Christmas, not that that's saying much. Promised myself I'd run three times over the break, and I managed that so I haven't let stuff get too out of hand

• Like 2

On 30/12/2019 at 08:39, Bellend Sebastian said:

Did six miles yesterday, some of which were a lot quicker than usual and now my legs feel like someone else's, and not in a good way

1 hour ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Good effort bud

I'm on a mission this year to really try and ramp up the distances I run (all on the treadmill, not the road). The most I ever did in one go last year was 5km in 30 mins because I just got really bored of running after that length of time ;)

Today I managed 7km in 45 mins and my goal is to get to 10km in an hour by the end of the month. I know I can do it but I just find the thought of spending an hour on the treadmill so bloody tedious. I've got a new playlist on my phone which helps but I really struggle to stay interested for a long period of time.

I'd really like to be able to do 20km in two hours by the end of the year but don't know if that's really achievable for someone like me in their late 40's.  

Any tips on how to stay motivated to run for long periods of time? Watch a movie on my i-pad? Listen to a pod-cast? Find a running partner?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I'm on a mission this year to really try and ramp up the distances I run (all on the treadmill, not the road). The most I ever did in one go last year was 5km in 30 mins because I just got really bored of running after that length of time ;)

Today I managed 7km in 45 mins and my goal is to get to 10km in an hour by the end of the month. I know I can do it but I just find the thought of spending an hour on the treadmill so bloody tedious. I've got a new playlist on my phone which helps but I really struggle to stay interested for a long period of time.

I'd really like to be able to do 20km in two hours by the end of the year but don't know if that's really achievable for someone like me in their late 40's.  

Any tips on how to stay motivated to run for long periods of time? Watch a movie on my i-pad? Listen to a pod-cast? Find a running partner?

Tips to stay motivated is get off the treadmill…. I find it soul destroying and soooo boring 

Getting out on the road or in the fields with a good tune or podcast in your ear is great…. 

it’s personal preference but I like getting out on my own - occasionally I go out with my wife…

fresh air and changing scenery (urban or rural) is good for the soul!  Give it a go- you won’t look back 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Izzy said:

My wife got me to set up a TV in our garage so she can watch films whilst she runs some days. It works for her bless her  :D

I prefer to go outside and run with company that way you can knock your head in neutral and talk shit all the way around a 4:5:6 mile or whatever route

equally I can do this on my own as I suffer with stress and anxiety to do with my job so sometimes just knocking my own mind in neutral and do a loop around wherever sometimes listening to music and other times just my own thoughts does the trick

you will find a way that suits you @Izzy as different things suit different people. The RedJanuary side of things I find helps me as lots of people I have met through jobs and my own family and friends suffer with Mental Health issues and helps me to think I am just helping a little bit here and there

good luck buddy

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Tips to stay motivated is get off the treadmill…. I find it soul destroying and soooo boring 

Getting out on the road or in the fields with a good tune or podcast in your ear is great…. 

it’s personal preference but I like getting out on my own - occasionally I go out with my wife…

fresh air and changing scenery (urban or rural) is good for the soul!  Give it a go- you won’t look back 

8 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

My wife got me to set up a TV in our garage so she can watch films whilst she runs some days. It works for her bless her  :D

I prefer to go outside and run with company that way you can knock your head in neutral and talk shit all the way around a 4:5:6 mile or whatever route

equally I can do this on my own as I suffer with stress and anxiety to do with my job so sometimes just knocking my own mind in neutral and do a loop around wherever sometimes listening to music and other times just my own thoughts does the trick

you will find a way that suits you @Izzy as different things suit different people. The RedJanuary side of things I find helps me as lots of people I have met through jobs and my own family and friends suffer with Mental Health issues and helps me to think I am just helping a little bit here and there

good luck buddy

Thanks chaps - much appreciated :thumbup:

I've never really fancied running outside but maybe that's the answer. I do have a couple of mates who run and it would be no hassle joining them so I'll give them a shout and give it a go!

I like the RedJanuary idea @Bob Weasel Fox and maybe if I had something specific to focus on it would give me that extra incentive to relieve the boredom :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Izzy said:

Kudos to you for doing all that on a treadmill; I think I'd go stir-crazy if I did all my runs on it lol. Definitely prefer running outside, even in the crappy weather this time of year.

20k in 2 hours is definitely achievable, and if the most you've ran previously is 5k then you'll probably find you'll naturally get faster just by building up mileage. I'd even say a sub-2 half marathon is achievable if you can keep a bit of consistency. You could even hit that distance by the summer if you wanted.

Not sure about motivation on the treadmill (TV series/films on an ipad might work, but I'd probably get motion sick), but running outside the scenery near me atm is dull as hell so I switch on a podcast and half-focus on that whilst letting my mind wander a bit. Music gets boring for me and I've never really gelled with audiobooks, but podcasts are great. A good tip is to find something you enjoy and only allow yourself to watch/listen to that thing whilst running. Gives you an extra little incentive to go for a run when you're otherwise not really feeling it.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Izzy said:

I agree with the others on here that say get off the treadmill.

I'm sure it's easier if you're used to it, but for me, my perception of time passing on the treadmill is that it feels like it takes literally twice as long as running outside, if that even makes sense.

As a bloke in my 40s as well, I can honestly say, get out there and embrace the outdoors, mud and all. Over the fields! Up Old John! Along the canal! If you'd have told me at any point in my life that I would get a taste for cross country at the age of 44 I'd have said you were having some sort of episode, but here we are. Invest in some trail shoes if you don't want to end up on your arse, mind. The ground is softer, but uneven surfaces will work different muscles and can take some getting used to.

If running on the road, make sure your shoes are in good condition and build up distances gradually, as your body will protest if you force things on it it's not used to, especially at our age

• Thanks 1

Its always useful to do some speedwork.

Do a park run Saturday morning 5km, Brauny Park, Vicky Park, Harboro, Dishley Loughborough, Melton Country Park, Conkers Park run.

Gets you used to racing against others and running in crowds too, so the actual HM's aren't a shoick to the system if your only training is by yourself or in the gym.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xen said:

Kudos to you for doing all that on a treadmill; I think I'd go stir-crazy if I did all my runs on it lol. Definitely prefer running outside, even in the crappy weather this time of year.

20k in 2 hours is definitely achievable, and if the most you've ran previously is 5k then you'll probably find you'll naturally get faster just by building up mileage. I'd even say a sub-2 half marathon is achievable if you can keep a bit of consistency. You could even hit that distance by the summer if you wanted.

Not sure about motivation on the treadmill (TV series/films on an ipad might work, but I'd probably get motion sick), but running outside the scenery near me atm is dull as hell so I switch on a podcast and half-focus on that whilst letting my mind wander a bit. Music gets boring for me and I've never really gelled with audiobooks, but podcasts are great. A good tip is to find something you enjoy and only allow yourself to watch/listen to that thing whilst running. Gives you an extra little incentive to go for a run when you're otherwise not really feeling it.

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I agree with the others on here that say get off the treadmill.

I'm sure it's easier if you're used to it, but for me, my perception of time passing on the treadmill is that it feels like it takes literally twice as long as running outside, if that even makes sense.

As a bloke in my 40s as well, I can honestly say, get out there and embrace the outdoors, mud and all. Over the fields! Up Old John! Along the canal! If you'd have told me at any point in my life that I would get a taste for cross country at the age of 44 I'd have said you were having some sort of episode, but here we are. Invest in some trail shoes if you don't want to end up on your arse, mind. The ground is softer, but uneven surfaces will work different muscles and can take some getting used to.

If running on the road, make sure your shoes are in good condition and build up distances gradually, as your body will protest if you force things on it it's not used to, especially at our age

Cheers fellas - great advice :thumbup:

Looks like I'm the only knob on here who runs on a treadmill lol

Sounds like running outdoors is the answer but that's a whole new world for me. I need to get the right gear as Bellend says but knowing me I'll probably get ran over by a car or chased by a bull if I go across fields.

I did another 7km on the treadmill this morning but it's soooooo fvckin boring. 

Time to embrace the great British outdoors :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Sounds like running outdoors is the answer but that's a whole new world for me. I need to get the right gear as Bellend says but knowing me I'll probably get ran over by a car or chased by a bull if I go across fields.

Nah Im with you. I really find running outside a pain and so much harder.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The boy Linacre said:

Its always useful to do some speedwork.

Do a park run Saturday morning 5km, Brauny Park, Vicky Park, Harboro, Dishley Loughborough, Melton Country Park, Conkers Park run.

Gets you used to racing against others and running in crowds too, so the actual HM's aren't a shoick to the system if your only training is by yourself or in the gym.

Park Runs are totally free as well!!!  You don't get much for free these days!!

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

Good effort @Izzy

Ironically my RedJanuary #2 was a treadmill run again today to fit around work again

I do get out mostly, honestly :D

• Like 1

10 miles yesterday morning.  :wave:

Wish I could train my achilles like I can train my cardiovascular system, though. Sore one today.

Back to treadmilling for a little while, for some lower impact, whilst the achilles recovers.  

• Like 1

On 02/01/2020 at 23:28, Vacamion said:

10 miles yesterday morning.  :wave:

Wish I could train my achilles like I can train my cardiovascular system, though. Sore one today.

Back to treadmilling for a little while, for some lower impact, whilst the achilles recovers.  

That's pretty impressive for an old fvcker like yourself :D

• Haha 2

On 01/01/2020 at 22:14, Izzy said:

So getting outside is key for me - the only thing I do on a treadmill is 25 minute sessions on a programme with sprints and inclines - after that, boredom and injury risks set in - as does the artificial nature of the running action.....

Outside I run 90% off road - mainly because of my back - it doesn’t like the impact from tarmac anymore.

However long the route, I listen to a playlist for the expected duration but more importantly split the route / course into 3 sections in my head so psychologically once the first third is completed and I’m well in to the second third I’m already over half way and once that bit is done well it’s only the final third to go..... psychological carrot dangling!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

So getting outside is key for me - the only thing I do on a treadmill is 25 minute sessions on a programme with sprints and inclines - after that, boredom and injury risks set in - as does the artificial nature of the running action.....

Outside I run 90% off road - mainly because of my back - it doesn’t like the impact from tarmac anymore.

However long the route, I listen to a playlist for the expected duration but more importantly split the route / course into 3 sections in my head so psychologically once the first third is completed and I’m well in to the second third I’m already over half way and once that bit is done well it’s only the final third to go..... psychological carrot dangling!

Love it, thanks Swanny :thumbup:

Yeah i get bored after 25/30 mins on the treadmill so looking forward to venturing outdoors for the first time tomorrow morning!!

Great North Run ballot opened up earlier today. Kinda keen as my partner's family is from up that way and it's obviously the major HM, but I'm already entered for a random 10miler in South Shields in August anyway, so skipping it this year. Nonetheless, figured I'd click the link and take a look, maybe enter then defer if I get a place, and I'm hit with a message saying I'm 26,000th in the queue to sign up. For a ballot place! Not even the real thing. And the ballot is open for a full month... Chill out, people! 

I really need to get back into my running. I haven't run for nearly 18 months because I've had an injury and still need to do some strengthening work.

I love running outdoors though and I think that will definitely help cure the boredom a bit (at least once in a while) @Izzy.

I ran from Groby out (and up) to Old John and back around Cropston/Anstey one christmas a few years back on a sunny day and it was an asbolute killer but it was bloody awesome too. I love the cool fresh air when I'm running. Proper buzz.

• Like 2

Last week was my first 'proper' week of marathon training according to my plan. Did the speedwork session on Tuesday which went well, finished work on Thursday to head home for my tempo run and by the time I was home the flu had hit and I was completely out of it. Missed the rest of the week, and though I'm better now I'm not sure I'm quite right for running again just yet.

Nightmare start to marathon training. Already not feeling particularly confident about the race...

On 14/01/2020 at 11:56, Xen said:

Last week was my first 'proper' week of marathon training according to my plan. Did the speedwork session on Tuesday which went well, finished work on Thursday to head home for my tempo run and by the time I was home the flu had hit and I was completely out of it. Missed the rest of the week, and though I'm better now I'm not sure I'm quite right for running again just yet.

Nightmare start to marathon training. Already not feeling particularly confident about the race...

Give yourself time to get properly better and then go again

you will be fine.  :fc:

Starting a fresh with running after a knee injury (ruptured Petalla tendon / broken knee cap) and have now finally after a year of physio had the sign off from my physio to begin running. Any advice for an apps that people use to get you started? Does anyone follow the run job walk etc. or couch to 5k? Not sure whats best and really need to get some fitness back. 

45 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Starting a fresh with running after a knee injury (ruptured Petalla tendon / broken knee cap) and have now finally after a year of physio had the sign off from my physio to begin running. Any advice for an apps that people use to get you started? Does anyone follow the run job walk etc. or couch to 5k? Not sure whats best and really need to get some fitness back. 

I have just started running again and my aim is to run half a marathon.

I use Nike run club. You set your goal of what you want to achieve and how often you run etc and then it creates a training routine for you. I am in my second week. I would recommend it. You have a coach talk to you on some of the runs and for me helps me as it pushes me to keep going.