Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

We need to talk about Wilfred Ndidi

3 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

Ndidi has been a DCM for barely about 3 seasons.

He started off at Genk as a central defender and played just about a full season as a DM after converting from his initial position before joining City. Given how good he has become in the primary responsibilities of what is a relatively new position over a relatively short period of time, there’s little to rationally suggest that if he worked hard at it he would not be able to improve on the weaker aspects of the position that in reality he is still learning to play.

Fan boys annoy me.

Appears this guy is as bad as @Eagle10

38 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Not at all, just difficult to get your point across to someone when one of the points they make is Iborra is only good for headers.

And your ad hominem post addresses that point exactly how?

Anyway, if that was all you managed to grasp from my posts on this thread, then it’s not been much of a rational discourse on your part. SMH

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can score with his dong and break up play but that's about it for Wilf at the moment.

Epitomising Moment:

Runs his socks off to win a ball from one of Southampton's forwards...

Turns round to face the goal Leicester City are attacking...

Holds onto the ball for several seconds...

Passes sideways and nearly concedes possession in his own half.

As a defensive midfielder, passing is clearly not his speciality. Especially when we are either chasing the game or playing under Puel's possession-based tactics. His distribution is a massive problem and needs to be addressed, maybe someone senior alongside him would help.

I gathered the stats from whoscored on our CM pair and discovered a very interesting thing.

Mendy is better than Ndidi in all the negative statistics, i.e. where lower is better, (boldface below.)  But Ndidi is better in nearly every positive category, including some passing stats, and far better in many important measures.  Better than most CMs in the League in a few.

Mendy is a safe -- but very ineffective -- passer.  Basically, a pure DM who doesn’t win the ball much.  An average player.  Ndidi is an elite ball-winner, always top three in the League in tackles + interceptions combined.  He’s fast, covers lots of ground, and is very good in the air.  But he makes mistakes, some in bad positions.  The bad pass that puts an opponent through on Kasper outbalances a handful of average tackles.  And seems to take his strong positives out of the conversation.  But shouldn't.

These numbers illustrate the reason whoscored rates Ndidi as the third best player on the squad, Hamza Choudhury 6th, and Mendy 16th.  The same reason transfermarkt estimates Ndidi’s value at 35 million euros and Mendy’s at 8 million.  He’s a more effective overall player.

MendyNdidi.JPG.a8e0057e4016691e0eeb47154e7c14d7.JPG

I looked this stuff up to make a point about Ndidi versus Mendy.  The bigger point, may be what people focus on.

Most of us will notice, and most of all remember, negative plays.  They stick out.  Far more positive plays are made, but fewer are remembered.  Some fans focus almost exclusively on the negative.  If that’s you, Mendy is your man.

For me, I’d stick with Wilf and Hamza and let them improve.  Where needed, Mendy in a three.  Next season, add a sound, shit-hot passer in CM and put Mendy on the bench.

• Like 2