Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

We need to talk about Wilfred Ndidi

27 minutes ago, Ian S said:

Needs leaving out, been saying so for a considerable time, he is going backwards as a footballer for some reason.

Really? Ndidi did his job like he always does but gets picked on likely because he's African. Meanwhile the likes of Madison can have   pathetic games and still get a pass.  When we win its usually because of defensive efforts not attacking. Get a real attacking player to replace Madison and this team will improve..

• Thanks 1

Another game where he had zero composure on the ball, when teams get on top of us he can't handle the pressure.

All he did throughout that second half was play the simple pass or just kick it into no man's land.

Was brilliant against Man City but he was back to being crap today, if we want to stick with two in midfield then he needs dropping for a few games.

Just now, kingfox said:

Another game where he had zero composure on the ball, when teams get on top of us he can't handle the pressure.

All he did throughout that second half was play the simple pass or just kick it into no man's land.

Was brilliant against Man City but he was back to being crap today, if we want to stick with two in midfield then he needs dropping for a few games.

He isn't the best in possession, but I think it's more a lack of awareness with him rather than composure 

Twice in quick succession in the first half he got robbed in dangerous areas dawdling in possession. 

Next time the ball broke to him in midfield, he had plenty of time and space, but clearly wary of what just happened, he simply hacked it clear to nobody.

I’d like to see how we did in the midfield IF Ndidi was dropped. Personally I reckon we’d struggle even more.

It’s no coincidence that successive managers have always had him in their first 11.

For me, Wilf isn’t the problem. It’s the fact we continue to play two DM’s at home, this time against fookin Cardiff. 

Wilf needs to play alongside a composed midfield creator and passer. This isn’t his forte. He’s a ball winner who would win it and lay it off. A la Kante. 

In this side he’s got no-one alongside him to talk to him, tutor him and to be the first bloke he looks at to give the ball to.

Ndidi would look great in a really good side.

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I’d like to see how we did in the midfield IF Ndidi was dropped. Personally I reckon we’d struggle even more.

It’s no coincidence that successive managers have always had him in their first 11.

For me, Wilf isn’t the problem. It’s the fact we continue to play two DM’s at home, this time against fookin Cardiff. 

Wilf needs to play alongside a composed midfield creator and passer. This isn’t his forte. He’s a ball winner who would win it and lay it off. A la Kante. 

In this side he’s got no-one alongside him to talk to him, tutor him and to be the first bloke he looks at to give the ball to.

Ndidi would look great in a really good side.

N'Didi is not at all like Kante. Hamza is the closest player in style we have to him.

The N'Didi Mendy pivot doesn't work in a 4-2-3-1. Needs someone in the 2 to break lines with their passing, or ability to drive with the ball.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, martyn said:

N'Didi is not at all like Kante. Hamza is the closest player in style we have to him.

The N'Didi Mendy pivot doesn't work in a 4-2-3-1. Needs someone in the 2 to break lines with their passing, or ability to drive with the ball.

I disagree. I see Ndidi very much in the Kante style. He’s quick, nippy, gets his foot in. The problem is too much more is then asked of him.

Kante would win the ball and lay it off to Drinkwater. Time and time again. We know this and we know it worked spectacularly. 

Who does Wilf give it to? Mendy? If he does he’ll just get it back again.

Ndidi is 22 yrs old and is a mainstay of three successive managers. Too much is asked of the lad imo.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Usafox1 said:

Really? Ndidi did his job like he always does but gets picked on likely because he's African. Meanwhile the likes of Madison can have   pathetic games and still get a pass.  When we win its usually because of defensive efforts not attacking. Get a real attacking player to replace Madison and this team will improve..

Bloody hell. I've read some shite in my time on here. BECAUSE HE'S AFRICAN...:appl:

Ndidi much loved by the fans but he's performing well below his previous high standards. Literally has **** all to do with where he's from you clown.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

Bloody hell. I've read some shite in my time on here. BECAUSE HE'S AFRICAN...:appl:

Ndidi much loved by the fans but he's performing well below his previous high standards. Literally has **** all to do with where he's from you clown.

Agreed, utter bollocks. 

57 minutes ago, martyn said:

You're underselling Kante.

He was far more mobile about the pitch and all action than Wilf and he'd win the ball higher up the pitch. 

Kante also had the ability to drive forward with the ball and start attacks, his distribution was also far more accurate and nowhere near as sloppy. To say he just layed it off to Drinkwater isnt right.

I see Hamza as the Kante type simply due to his energy levels and mobility.

Don’t get me wrong, Kante is a phenomenon. That said, a few years older than Wilf. The point I’m making is too much is expected of Ndidi. Kante could play the role he played because a. He’s superb and b. Drinkwater did a lot of play-making. 

Pretty much the whole of the midfield work falls on Ndidi’s young shoulders. And it’s too much, especially when he plays alongside Mendy who does very very little play making.

I agree about Hamza and playing him is probably what made Ndidi look better. It took weight off his shoulders.

1 hour ago, Wilfcho said:

i do not get what the fuss has been about ndidi.. I've watched him in games and he is not as shit as you all claim him to be and also this 

Screenshot_20181228-185311.png

It’s not much use winning the ball back if you’re going to pass it back to them straight after. Let’s see his passing accuracy against those players?

• Haha 1

He's a great defensive player. His ability to break up play and win headers is unparalleled. And we've looked shite without him. Now Puel is trying to improve his passing and shooting. 

He's not going to improve that on the bench. And he improved Chilwell's shite defending last season by playing him. And Puel's record with other young players is outstanding.

But our passing game is so bad, baring Mendy, if Puel wanted to swap him for Hamza I'd be happy to give it a go.

Edited by Foxxed

4 hours ago, Wilfcho said:

i do not get what the fuss has been about ndidi.. I've watched him in games and he is not as shit as you all claim him to be and also this 

Screenshot_20181228-185311.png

But that's not what people are criticising for him. He's not underrated, we all see how good he is at winning the ball. We also all see how bad he is with the ball at his feet. 

• Like 1

Off the ball, can't fault him. If we were after a Kanté replacement in terms of winning the ball back and breaking the play up in midfield, we pretty much hit the nail on the head with the recruitment of N'didi. His work rate when chasing the opposition is exceptional, but that's what you come to expect from a central defensive midfielder. And he comfortably delivers on that expectation.

Unfortunately, with this new possession-based passing game that Puel has in mind, this has sadly exposed Wilf's poor on the ball technique. Most of his shots are either wide or over the bar, and his passing accuracy stats must surely make grim reading. Maybe alongside someone who'd satisfy the "Drinkwater" role, he would be better suited to this style of play.

That said, this would be harsh on the likes of Choudhury and Mendy, who have barely put a foot wrong between them for the majority of the season. But with some substantial work and improvement on his passing and shooting, N'didi could still become the complete midfielder we all want him to be, and he does have plenty of time on his side to accomplish that.

11 hours ago, Kitotac said:

Maybe we'll all come to our senses when bids starts coming in for him from city and the big boys,. The boy has been impressive in my book as a DM. statistically he is no.1, chased jorginho to stupor against Chelsea. The same against city he was quite impressive against debruyne and co. Then ask yourself if we won against Chelsea and man city why not against Cardiff. Because against Cardiff we were expected to attack and not defend. And Cardiff setup to do to us what we did to city and Chelsea. There in lies the problem, if the offensive players could not score for 90 minutes, then somebody begins to blame a defensive midfielder for being sloppy. Why were we playing two very defensive minded midfielders against Cardiff? Anybody expecting ndidi to be a playmaker aside being a destroyer is grossly misunderstanding the status quo. 

If a decent bid comes in i'd happily sell.

There hasnt been one though nor is there likely to be, his passing would be shown up big time at a bigger club. His stats might look good but when you watch him you realise how limited he is.

Hes miles off kante for me and hasnt improved much in 2 years.

On 30/12/2018 at 03:12, Usafox1 said:

No, it is definitely not because he is African. Not sure why this was even in contemplation. Please see all previous posts about the reasons why.

But I agree Maddison needs improving as well. I and a few others on this board have also raised this point.

Edited by Tom12345

13 hours ago, Kitotac said:

Maybe we'll all come to our senses when bids starts coming in for him from city and the big boys,. The boy has been impressive in my book as a DM. statistically he is no.1, chased jorginho to stupor against Chelsea. The same against city he was quite impressive against debruyne and co. Then ask yourself if we won against Chelsea and man city why not against Cardiff. Because against Cardiff we were expected to attack and not defend. And Cardiff setup to do to us what we did to city and Chelsea. There in lies the problem, if the offensive players could not score for 90 minutes, then somebody begins to blame a defensive midfielder for being sloppy. Why were we playing two very defensive minded midfielders against Cardiff? Anybody expecting ndidi to be a playmaker aside being a destroyer is grossly misunderstanding the status quo. 

The modern game, especially the one Puel wants the team to play, requires all players, especially the CMs, to be decent on the ball and can pass at least at PL standard (doesn’t have to be world class). If he is not there yet, he deserves to be dropped. It is baffling when Puel demands the same from other positions such as from our full backs (eg. this is why he does not like Simpson) and CDs (eg. why he prefers MacGuire over a better defender in Evans), but not the same from the CM that holds the team together. He doesn’t need to make that killer pass in the final third, but he should at least be able to quickly link up play (in a good manner) between the defense and the likes of Maddison, Albrington and other forward players. All good teams have the ability to break very quickly and the most important is that 1 second after we get the ball back in our own half. You can either pass up field very quickly in a creative manner (what we did very well in the past) or we wait or pass sideways allowing the opposition to get back on D. This is where Ndidi fails miserably. You cannot just say this is others’ job because Ndidi occupies the middle and half the time he will be there and chances don’t come often (in PL you really have to seize your chance)! But some fans don’t realize this. What we can see afterwards is that we have no choice but to be seen as having to break down defense slowly against a team that “sits back”, like what you said. But this doesn’t have to be the case. This is why many have been calling for Ndidi to be dropped! Do we still want to play to our strength or not? If not, keep picking Ndidi and watch us trying very hard to break down defense that “sits back” and lose.

We played better against Chelsea and Man City because, ironically, Hamza was there as extra cover so Ndidi did not need to get the ball as much. 

Defensively, despite this being his greatest strength, has been somewhat sloppy as well recently. While I appreciate he doesn’t foul as much nowadays, he has been at fault a few times recently including the Cardiff for not closing down - he was clearly the closet player who should have closed down. 

I think he can improve, and as I said in a previous post, he has shown that he has a good football brain - he can attempt the right pass; but his techniques are still substandard. He is getting better though and I think he can be a great player in 2-3 years, but right now, just like others, when he should be dropped, he should be dropped.

Edited by Tom12345

The modern game, especially the one Puel wants the team to play, requires all players, especially the CMs, to be decent on the ball and can pass at least at PL standard (doesn’t have to be world class). If he is not there yet, he deserves to be dropped. It is baffling when Puel demands the same from other positions such as from our full backs (eg. this is why he does not like Simpson) and CDs (eg. why he prefers MacGuire over a better defender in Evans), but not the same from the CM that holds the team together. He doesn’t need to make that killer pass in the final third, but he should at least be able to quickly link up play (in a good manner) between the defense and the likes of Maddison, Albrington and other forward players. All good teams have the ability to break very quickly and the most important is that 1 second after we get the ball back in our own half. You can either pass up field very quickly in a creative manner (what we did very well in the past) or we wait or pass sideways allowing the opposition to get back on D. This is where Ndidi fails miserably. You cannot just say this is others’ job because Ndidi occupies the middle and half the time he will be there and chances don’t come often (in PL you really have to seize your chance)! But some fans don’t realize this. What we can see afterwards is that we have no choice but to be seen as having to break down defense slowly against a team that “sits back”, like what you said. But this doesn’t have to be the case. This is why many have been calling for Ndidi to be dropped! Do we still want to play to our strength or not? If not, keep picking Ndidi and watch us trying very hard to break down defense that “sits back” and lose.

We played better against Chelsea and Man City because, ironically, Hamza was there as extra cover so Ndidi did not need to get the ball as much. 

Defensively, despite this being his greatest strength, has been somewhat sloppy as well recently. While I appreciate he doesn’t foul as much nowadays, he has been at fault a few times recently including the Cardiff for not closing down - he was clearly the closet player who should have closed down. 

I think he can improve, and as I said in a previous post, he has shown that he has a good football brain - he can attempt the right pass; but his techniques are still substandard. He is getting better though and I think he can be a great player in 2-3 years, but right now, just like others, when he should be dropped, he should be dropped.

• Like 1