Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Spudulike

Stadium Expansion - at last !

So.… knock everything down around the ground within half a mile and build a new King Power City with free entrance for ST holders/Leicestershire residents and a triple price charge for London clubs and Forest/Derby. 

It will have a state of the art train station offloading onto a futuristic new City with hotels, bars, restaurants, robotic brothels, music festivals etc. Anyone caught causing trouble will get a lifetime ban.

• Haha 1

Guest Markyblue

Friend who works at the ground has been told one of staff car parks will be lost to new hotel build.

20 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Hardly a long-term commitment to atmosphere is it? Nobody uses them now. 

So, without mentioning things that either won't happen (swap the kop) or can't currently happen (safe standing), what would you see as a long term commitment? Ignoring that, while use may have petered down now, the clappers did help generate an atmosphere - ironically the time when their use was highest coincided with people on here talking about how great our atmosphere was. 

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

So, without mentioning things that either won't happen (swap the kop) or can't currently happen (safe standing), what would you see as a long term commitment? Ignoring that, while use may have petered down now, the clappers did help generate an atmosphere - ironically the time when their use was highest coincided with people on here talking about how great our atmosphere was. 

What, you mean the time that also coincided with the most successful period in our history? Yeah, what a funny coincidence. lol

A long-term commitment would mean the club looking into giving up dedicated areas of the ground to people who want to be involved in creating an atmosphere, cheaper ticket prices, publicly backing the campaign for safe standing etc.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Designated singing areas, ergo unofficial standing areas like Cardiff do.

Rejigging the ground and getting all the standers/singers in one place like Derby did.

Campaigning for (or at least talking to the fans in some capacity) safestanding like a bunch of teams have.

Cheaper tickets younger people, ours are the second highest in the league for 17 year olds iirc. 

Have we done any of the above? No. We've got some folded up cardboard and when you question it people call you "elitist" lol 

This is my fear that the club have an elitist view and want to sit at the top table in the football hierarchy to add credibility to their main business so don't want the club to be associated with what they see as football riff-raff hence the expensive matchday tickets v STs.

Any stadium expansion/changes will see this reflected with much more attention given to making it 'posh' rather than attainable for your average working class youth.

Guest Markyblue
2 minutes ago, davieG said:

This is my fear that the club have an elitist view and want to sit at the top table in the football hierarchy to add credibility to their main business so don't want the club to be associated with what they see as football riff-raff hence the expensive matchday tickets v STs.

Any stadium expansion/changes will see this reflected with much more attention given to making it 'posh' rather than attainable for your average working class youth.

They give us free beer and doughnuts not pimms and caviar don't see to much in the way of elitism there.

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

What, you mean the time that also coincided with the most successful period in our history? Yeah, what a funny coincidence. lol

A long-term commitment would mean the club looking into giving up dedicated areas of the ground to people who want to be involved in creating an atmosphere,cheaper ticket prices, publicly backing the campaign for safe standing etc.

Don't remember the home atmosphere being great in league one when we were winning every week. Saying it's just because we were being successful is ridiculous.

Almost like L1 then? Granted L1 has died off a bit, but that's not from action by the club.

Also, not like our tickets are on the cheaper end for this division: http://www.goal.com/en/news/premier-league-tickets-prices-cost/p3a46sx6u8kr14mmpp7kn5dwt (8th cheapest looking at most expensive ticket for each club, 6th cheapest looking at cheapest ticket for each club)...

24 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Rejigging the ground and getting all the standers/singers in one place like Derby did.

Campaigning for (or at least talking to the fans in some capacity) safestanding like a bunch of teams have.

Cheaper tickets younger people, ours are the second highest in the league for 17 year olds iirc. 

Have we done any of the above? No. We've got some folded up cardboard and when you question it people call you "elitist" lol 

I call you elitest because you're moaning about small measures which have helped develop an atmosphere. And you're moaning about them because they're not directed at 18-30 year old lads. Frankly your posts have never suggested someone who wants to see a better atmosphere but rather someone who just thinks football should be for one demographic, who are by default better fans.

Edited by The Doctor
  • Like 1

Don't remember the home atmosphere being great in league one when we were winning every week. Saying it's just because we were being successful is ridiculous.

Almost like L1 then? Granted L1 has died off a bit, but that's not from action by the club.

Also, not like our tickets are on the cheaper end for this division: http://www.goal.com/en/news/premier-league-tickets-prices-cost/p3a46sx6u8kr14mmpp7kn5dwt (8th cheapest looking at most expensive ticket for each club, 6th cheapest looking at cheapest ticket for each club)...

You're seriously comparing us beating third tier sides in front of half empty crowds to becoming champions of England contrary to all expectations in one of the most unexpected triumphs in sporting history? If the clappers were genuinely responsible for giving the atmosphere a long-term push, why have our home ends been found so badly wanting in recent months when the team genuinely needed their backing?

L1 is one block. Clubs like Derby and Forest have given over whole tiers or even ends as areas specified for atmosphere.

Edited by Voll Blau

14 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

You're seriously comparing us beating third tier sides in front of half empty crowds to becoming champions of England contrary to all expectations in one of the most unexpected triumphs in sporting history? If the clappers were genuinely responsible for giving the atmosphere a long-term push, why have our home ends been found so badly wanting in recent months when the team genuinely needed their backing?

L1 is one block. Clubs like Derby and Forest have given over whole tiers or even ends as areas specified for atmosphere.

I'm saying that winning every week wasn't the sole driving point of making the atmosphere. If you want a good atmosphere you've got to enable the kids and parents going along, the old folks who either don't want to or can't stand for 90 minutes etc. The clappers helped that. Is it alone enough? No. Should the club stop at that? No. But disparaging small measures to get other demographics involved is frankly just elitist.

Edited by The Doctor

I'm saying that winning every week wasn't the sole driving point of making the atmosphere. If you want a good atmosphere you've got to enable the kids and parents going along, the old folks who either don't want to or can't stand for 90 minutes etc. The clappers helped that. Is it alone enough? No. Should the club stop at that? No. But disparaging small measures to get other demographics involved is frankly just elitist.

Yeah, and my point was that whatever short-term gimmicks the club did or did not provide would've been irrelevant because everyone in the ground was enjoying being present for "the most successful period in our history at that time" (that's the phrase I used - not "because we were winning every week"). It's when things aren't all peachy on the pitch that clubs really need to do everything in their power to ensure they make long-term commitments to attract people who go to football to create atmosphere. The clappers worked fine as a tool for some people in the crowd, although they did tend to drown out singing in my opinion, but they weren't responsible for actually creating an atmosphere - and they haven't added to anything at all since we stopped being the best team in the country, so they're not a long-term solution.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 1

Guest MattP

Do people really think it was the clappers that created a good atmosphere? The argument doesn't really hold up given it was horrific last year.

I think the atmosphere improved because we had a team that was prepared to die for each other, then the great escape followed by the greatest title win in sporting history and the Champions League. 

It really wasn't down to pieces of cardboard. 

47 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I call you elitest because you're moaning about small measures which have helped develop an atmosphere. And you're moaning about them because they're not directed at 18-30 year old lads. Frankly your posts have never suggested someone who wants to see a better atmosphere but rather someone who just thinks football should be for one demographic, who are by default better fans.

Laughable pal. 

Got any rebuttal to the points that I made or are you just going personal for no reason? 

Edited by Sol thewall Bamba

1 hour ago, davieG said:

To be perfectly honestly I don't have much issue with certain parts of the stadium being gentrified, I'm not stupid enough to think we could go completely without the corporate side of the game. The demand is there and it's being catered for, like there's demand for the family stand and that's a great success.

But there's also demand for a more raucous area where you can just go a bit crazy and enjoy yourself if that's what you're into, however that isn't being catered for by the club. The club wouldn't sweep the wishes of the corporate lot, the family stand, the DSA etc under the rug as easily as they do the wishes of the 'atmosphere brigade', and I don't see why people have such as issue with these people voicing their concerns and trying for change. Just calling these people 'elitist' is a load of fvkcing bollocks. 

The ground is pretty massive in relative terms, surely we can split it up to an extent where everyone can enjoy themselves how they want to? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Markyblue said:

They give us free beer and doughnuts not pimms and caviar don't see to much in the way of elitism there.

Free beer and doughnuts. Luxury.

We had to make do with a bottle of tizer and a packet of walkers and we had to stand all the way through match.

You tell the kids today and they just won't believe you.

Guest Markyblue

Title win at kp aside give me filbert street for atmosphere any day.but we've moved on and people make atmospheres not locations.

Excited to see what sort of plans they come up with- I can't see them taking any half measures, and I'm certain we won't have a stadium which looks like it was done on a budget when the work is done.

An all-standing Kop would be perfect. We must be one of the worst clubs in the country for standing areas. Hopefully the club soften to the safe standing idea a bit, but I can see how they look being an issue- they will want perfect blue seats all the way around, bearing the King Power name.

3 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

To rebutt points you'd need to make them first...

Here you go chief, looks like you missed them first time round: 

6 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Here you go chief, looks like you missed them first time round: 

You might not have understood that none of those are points with any validity, but fine.

L1. Next.

Swap the kop is and always has been a a pipe dream with no relation to reality. 

Much as I'd like safe standing, the club isn't the issue - the issue is, and will always be, the Hillsborough families. 

Last one is the main reason for the elitist remarks. It's entirely underpinned by the idea that the club should just focus on one group and forget about families etc. I get why you think that way, I used to think the same way seven years ago. But I grew up and stopped thinking the club should prioritise me.  

You might not have understood that none of those are points with any validity, but fine.

L1. Next.

Much as I'd like safe standing, the club isn't the issue - the issue is, and will always be, the Hillsborough families. 

Last one is the main reason for the elitist remarks. It's entirely underpinned by the idea that the club should just focus on one group and forget about families etc. I get why you think that way, I used to think the same way seven years ago. But I grew up and stopped thinking the club should prioritise me.  

Don't want to speak out of turn when you're responding to someone else, but...

He's not saying "swap the Kop" though, is he? He's asking for "an area". Other clubs have done it with bigger areas than L1 set aside, and the demand is clearly there for an area bigger than L1 to accommodate fans who like to have a sing-song.

Many of the Hillsborough families have recently changed their minds on safe standing, and it's incredibly frustrating that our club lags behind when others have backed their fans by publicly supporting the campaign for change in legislation. As an aside- it's now official Labour policy too, so they obviously don't think it's a vote loser in Liverpool.

No one's going to "forget about families" just because the club do something for another section of the fanbase are they? It's currently a struggle for young working class men - and families! - to afford to go to the football. A lowering of matchday ticket prices would be extremely beneficial to more than one demographic, and would be just a single gesture which would be about as close to the opposite of "elitism" as you could get.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Why not? If the club were serious about improving the atmosphere, these are points they could consider. But they're not, so they won't. 

5 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

L1. Next.

Never been designated a standing or singing area officially, they just control who gets STs in there. "nExT"

6 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Agree to an extent, but I'm not talking about swapping them, I don't think anyone has ever suggested that seriously in about 10 years. 

7 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

You mean the Hillsborough families that have debated SS at length, and some of whom have come out publicly in support? https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/differing-views-hillsborough-families-survivors-13355415

10 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I think we should call it a day pal. If you think I'm elitist for wanting a 17 year old not to pay up to £34 for a ticket, then there's really no point in carrying on. By the way, this doesn't affect me I probably pay the same prices as you do.