Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Aretha Franklin

The first time I really noticed Aretha was when Nicky Campbell played her version of YNWA on his late night programme on radio 1 after the Hillsbrough disaster. Then in the early 90s I read Peter Guralnick's book Sweet Soul Music which covers Aretha's 1967 breakthrough in great detail - after that I splashed out on the Queen of Soul box set -- the best of the Atlantic years. 

IMHO these two tracks represenrt some kind of peak in soul music - in music full stop really - the first one from the Amazing Grace album, recoreded in church, the second one from her collaboration with Curtis Mayfield in the mid 70s

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

I went to the cinema last night to see "Amazing Grace". 

It's the previously unreleased film of Aretha's gospel performance in 1972.  Backed by a band, with a full gospel choir. 

It's unbelievably good. 

Moving, poignant and (even for a grizzled old atheist like me) the gospel songs as she performs them are full of uplifting beauty. 

Catch it if you can. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vacamion said:

I went to the cinema last night to see "Amazing Grace". 

It's the previously unreleased film of Aretha's gospel performance in 1972.  Backed by a band, with a full gospel choir. 

It's unbelievably good. 

Moving, poignant and (even for a grizzled old atheist like me) the gospel songs as she performs them are full of uplifting beauty. 

Catch it if you can. 

Really want to see this on the big screen. Biggest selling gospel recording of all time. 

Apparently when they did the recording they cocked up the sound and visuals so couldn't sync them. They now have technology to do it. Looks ace