Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

Leicester Riders

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Goober said:

Got into the NBA a lot over the last 6 months and realised we have a fantastic team right here. Anyone follow the Riders closely? Definitely looking to get to some games next season 

Relatively so. I watched them as a kid at Granby Halls and try to go five times a season. My Dad loves watching them and the Sky coverage of last two years has helped

• Like 1

On 07/04/2022 at 09:26, Cardiff_Fox said:

I am more of JaRon Boone / Gene Waldron man myself 

And Leon McGee, I loved watching that guy. I hardly missed a game down Granby Halls during the latter half of the 90’s.

Does anybody remember that guy who used to sell basketball trading cards down there on game days?

All but confirmed they will be playing Europe next year. Qualifier in Sept and if they fail into the fourth tier comp. I Should have moved back to Leics then, so really looking forward to that. The real quality of their team last year was the depth in which ten players were strong (and all statistically so in comparison to rest of the league). 

London Lions have made the ambitious move to play in the Euro Cup which is the second tier of European basketball. Quite intense as that’s 18 additional games playing some really strong clubs and they will have to grow their roster (but at the same time be unlikely to play them in the domestic competition due to the salary cap/import rules). 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

43 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

All but confirmed they will be playing Europe next year. Qualifier in Sept and if they fail into the fourth tier comp. I Should have moved back to Leics then, so really looking forward to that. The real quality of their team last year was the depth in which ten players were strong (and all statistically so in comparison to rest of the league). 

London Lions have made the ambitious move to play in the Euro Cup which is the second tier of European basketball. Quite intense as that’s 18 additional games playing some really strong clubs and they will have to grow their roster (but at the same time be unlikely to play them in the domestic competition due to the salary cap/import rules). 

I just hope we have Crandall playing still. He looks like a talent that could cut it at a much higher level. 

12 hours ago, Collymore said:

I just hope we have Crandall playing still. He looks like a talent that could cut it at a much higher level. 

Think that’s part of the reasoning. Keeps the players here for another year rather than the likes of Gino going to an European club. 

Tactically as well Riders have more muscle than they ever have before and that’s much needed with the rules in the paint

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Think that’s part of the reasoning. Keeps the players here for another year rather than the likes of Gino going to an European club. 

Tactically as well Riders have more muscle than they ever have before and that’s much needed with the rules in the paint

So would he then play in Europe not domestically then? 

8 minutes ago, Collymore said:

So would he then play in Europe not domestically then? 

Gino would play both but I would suspect that Riders might need to look at getting a couple of players in on Euro only contracts (games are clustered). That tactic helped London Lions qualify in the last 16 of Europe last season which was unprecedented by an British club for 30 years. Riders bench last season though was superb and rotation will be need more with European competition games midweek. 

My point about European clubs was it’s a more challenging level and that natural step for Gino is go France or Spain to play there. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

• 1 month later...

Interesting few weeks 

Back in February, 777, an investment firm from the US invested money into the league. Slight conflict as they own London Lions. 

This summer its resulted in the following:-

• London Lions have entered the second tier of European competition. A level no British club has played at for years. They face some big European clubs as a result. 
  • BBL then announced it was taking the salary cap away. 
  • Lions have signed 3 players with a history of European basketball and NBA. A level way above the British Leagues. 
  • In the meantime, Riders have got Gino back for another year 
  • But the European campaign will be solely the third tier - and if they do not qualify, they will not take the chance to play in the fourth tier. It's most likely financial but it's a bit disappointing as Riders need to win three qualifiers and at best they might beat the Romanians they face. 
  • As a result, very likely no European basketball in Leicester - the qualifiers will be played in a central location over a week. 

Going to be an interesting season which I fear is going to hurt British basketball in the long run 

• 1 month later...

Lost by 7 - which is a missed chance, they were 5 up with a minute before half time and then were 1 down after they hit one from downtown. 

I am really disappointing they aren't conceding down to the next tier. They would be good enough there - the team they beat from Sweden last week were hammered last night. 

As much I dislike London Lions, I might go one of their European games - likely to have away support from Greece, Montenegro, Israel and Poland