Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Xbox wanted

My grandson is saving up his pennies to get an Xbox probably a 2nd hand one.

Now I nothing about these but I understand he can play games on it against friends who are elsewhere so if any one has one that they no longer want and would be willing to pass it on for free or a smallish fee then I’d like to help him out.

Sorry for the begging and thanks in advance.

• Haha 1

Guest Harrydc

Just a heads up mate, your grandson is probably looking at the Xbox one, so if somebody says there selling you an xbox for a small fee then make sure it is not an xbox 360.

And good luck. 

Edited by Harrydc

Guest Harrydc

The mic, you could possibly pick up quite cheap, but the membership is something that you can't get for cheap really as no one would be selling those second hand. To be honest, I find Microsoft charging for memberships stupid, especially with the amount we have to pay for games these days. 

24 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

The mic, you could possibly pick up quite cheap, but the membership is something that you can't get for cheap really as no one would be selling those second hand. To be honest, I find Microsoft charging for memberships stupid, especially with the amount we have to pay for games these days. 

If Microsoft didn't charge for the Gold membership then they wouldn't be able to offer such a good service, and I doubt they make much money off the games they don't publish/develop. Plus as far as I'm aware the Xbox consoles have always been sold at a loss (at least until several years into their lifespan) so they have to generate the profits from elsewhere.

Also worth noting that games these days are relatively speaking the cheapest they've ever been. Street Fighter 2 cost £59.99 on the SNES in 1992, adjusted for inflation that's £122 in today's money. Modern games generally have much higher development costs than in previous generations and the developers provide ongoing support

Well I never knew, Oh to live in total ignorance I thought they were like mobile phones where you got a new one each year with a couple of tweeks to the software and a new name like the Xbox Supa followed by the Xbox Supa Dupa.

I'm guessing my grandson knows all this. 

2 hours ago, davieG said:

Well I never knew, Oh to live in total ignorance I thought they were like mobile phones where you got a new one each year with a couple of tweeks to the software and a new name like the Xbox Supa followed by the Xbox Supa Dupa.

I'm guessing my grandson knows all this. 

They do make minor tweaks to them every now and then, like more efficient internals/better storage/smaller shape/sometimes more power, but any game that is sold for Xbox One will work on any model of the Xbox One

As others have mentioned, just make sure you don't buy an Xbox 360 (/original Xbox) as he won't be able to play online with his friends and no one makes games for them anymore

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, somebum said:

Looks like you are going to have to part with a few quid of your own there Dave

Nope, well not directly I was just trying to help him find the best deal.

I could fork out for him directly but he’s been saving for sometime and I wouldn’t  want to take away his sense of achievement when he finally gets enough so I shall probably help him in a more subtle way besides what ever I contribute to him I’ll have to match up with his twin sister.

i didn’t realise they were so precious in this throw away society and I’ve realised I don’t know enough about the product to buy him one directly as I’d probably end up with the wrong thing and would be back on here trying to sell something nobody wants. :P 

• Haha 1

£229.99 with 3 games - that's a really good deal. If possible it's worth considering buying new so you've got a warranty. The Xbox One is far more reliable than the old Xbox 360 so less likely you'd ever need it repairing/replacing, but there's always a chance it could break

@davieG

I don't know if it's of any use but I have an original PS4 which I am upgrading to a PS4 Pro next week so I won't be needing it any more. It's in perfectly good condition and works fine (I use it most evenings). 

It's the most recent iteration of the PlayStation - it has been updated to the Pro version since which has more memory and is a bit quicker. 

If your grandson is looking at getting his first proper console it might serve as a good starting point. 

Wouldn't be looking to give it away as could probably chop it in and still get a few quid for it but I'd be happy to let it go for a bit less to a forum member. 

Let me know - no bother either way. 

11 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

@davieG

I don't know if it's of any use but I have an original PS4 which I am upgrading to a PS4 Pro next week so I won't be needing it any more. It's in perfectly good condition and works fine (I use it most evenings). 

It's the most recent iteration of the PlayStation - it has been updated to the Pro version since which has more memory and is a bit quicker. 

If your grandson is looking at getting his first proper console it might serve as a good starting point. 

Wouldn't be looking to give it away as could probably chop it in and still get a few quid for it but I'd be happy to let it go for a bit less to a forum member. 

Let me know - no bother either way. 

Thanks for the offer I believe his dad has an old PlayStation but he wants this so he can play with friends who I assume have xboxes.

5 hours ago, davieG said:

Nope, well not directly I was just trying to help him find the best deal.

I could fork out for him directly but he’s been saving for sometime and I wouldn’t  want to take away his sense of achievement when he finally gets enough so I shall probably help him in a more subtle way besides what ever I contribute to him I’ll have to match up with his twin sister.

i didn’t realise they were so precious in this throw away society and I’ve realised I don’t know enough about the product to buy him one directly as I’d probably end up with the wrong thing and would be back on here trying to sell something nobody wants. :P 

You hit the nail on the head there, throw away society it is and it's a grim outlook 

On 22/10/2018 at 15:41, davieG said:

That means nothing to me.

The original Xbox came out in 2002. The 2nd Xbox (Xbox 360) came out after that, and the current third generation is called the Xbox One, but everyone just calls it the Xbox

If you actually bought him an "Xbox" (the original one) it would be hilarious for everyone except the grandson because the games all look terrible by today's standards, the console was absolutely huge and the controller was about the size of a dustbin lid

fattycontroller.jpg

Man I forgot how utterly dogshit that controller was. What were they thinking? Can't think what I hated more, that, the N64 pad or Gamecube. The N64 and Gamecube were designed to give maximum pain to anyone who didn't have foetus fingers, the Xbox pad was just a massive lump of naff plastic with the buttons in the most unnatural positions. Terrible

• Thanks 1