Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LcfcOk

The gym

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Been doing Les Mills body pump classes with the Mrs. Very good.

Feel a lot of blokes think they're above these kind of classes in favour of just chasing PBs on the bar, but it's pretty humbling when you're half hour into one of these classes and struggling to hit a 10kg chest press because you're completely burnt out lol. Nice to be told exactly what to do as well and not have to think about what's next. 

Yeh I do HIIT twice a week. Three women in their 60s run rings around everyone else, incredible fitness. It's working for me as I play racketball but I am not good at racketball, however I am fitter than almost all of the club members but they are all technically better. So taking each rally long and playing at a quick pace is the only way I can win matches. Not sure about strength building though.

I used to do Sean T’s Insanity Max 30 and that got me pretty lean but, and it might have had other factors, it also resulted in me having to see a chiropractor regularly with ****ed hip flexors.

On 14/04/2024 at 15:20, LcFc_Smiv said:

Always strength trained and been a regular runner for the past few years, minus the past few weeks while I’ve managed an injury. Went along yesterday to a CrossFit style functional fitness gym that my girlfriend has been going to for a few months and wow do I have a lot more respect for that kind of training. I’ve always been fit, but this was different to anything I have done. Halfway through I regretted my decision, by the end I was ready to sign up. 

Interesting to hear. Always, felt CrossFit was another of these fad franchise regimes that have come and gone over the years, particularly as one of the main sports science concepts you're taught in academic training is the principle of specificity. As such I've always dismissed the concept based upon it's generalised approach to training.

That said, having watched the last 2 seasons of Physical 100 on Netflix and seen two CrossFitter's end up winning both season's it's really changed my outlook as an approach to fitness. The performance of the eventual winner in the Infinite Squat challenge that the final 3 contestants faced in season 2 was unreal. 

8 hours ago, ian__marshall said:

Interesting to hear. Always, felt CrossFit was another of these fad franchise regimes that have come and gone over the years, particularly as one of the main sports science concepts you're taught in academic training is the principle of specificity. As such I've always dismissed the concept based upon it's generalised approach to training.

That said, having watched the last 2 seasons of Physical 100 on Netflix and seen two CrossFitter's end up winning both season's it's really changed my outlook as an approach to fitness. The performance of the eventual winner in the Infinite Squat challenge that the final 3 contestants faced in season 2 was unreal. 

I completely agree, working in sports science roles and as an accredited S&C coach I always just viewed CrossFit as a training concept where it’s just designed to make you tired and fatigued without much thought or process, and without much care towards proper exercise technique. What I do like is while I can smash a cardio based session in large groups, I can also attend smaller group sessions where you nail down on specific techniques or strength work.

I imagine there are a number of gyms/people in this space who don’t operate like that and don’t coach appropriately, but I’ve got to say the guys who have been leading the sessions I’ve been at have been top class. My fitness over the past 3 weeks has improved greatly- returning to running after injury has felt effortless, I’m stronger and I feel a lot better day to day. It’s made me realise that while I thought my own strength training was going well, I was probably sat in too much of a comfort zone. I haven’t seen the Physical 100 but I can see where your coming from some of the physical qualities of the more advanced people I’ve seen in the gym is really impressive.