Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LcfcOk

The gym

1 minute ago, TJQuik said:

Don't do them, especially deadlifts. Everything they train can be done with much safer stuff. There's no benefit to insist on doing them for the vast majority of people. 99% of the reason people do them is macho bullshit imo. I'd argue I can trigger a lot more development doing a variety of stuff in the same time it takes to set up some deadlifts and spend all your energy doing that. And even if they are supposedly much more effective, we're not olympic weightlifters, the cost to benefit ratio with potential injury is too low for me.

Totally agree that there's plenty of alternatives but deadlifts are a great and effective exercise if done properly. 

It's about knowing your limits as well, I'm so inflexible I doubt I'll ever be able to deadlift off the floor but from a raised position using a Smith machine I'm finding them pretty effective.  

The amount of fools you see at the gym swinging weights they can't handle with poor form is actually terrifying.  Always men.

18 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Totally agree that there's plenty of alternatives but deadlifts are a great and effective exercise if done properly. 

It's about knowing your limits as well, I'm so inflexible I doubt I'll ever be able to deadlift off the floor but from a raised position using a Smith machine I'm finding them pretty effective.  

The amount of fools you see at the gym swinging weights they can't handle with poor form is actually terrifying.  Always men.

That does sound like a really good alternative, I just hate the idea that if I were to have a bad day and have bad form on a single rep I could cause lasting damage, but the smith machine probably mitigates most of that.

On the gym idiots - I always get a chuckle out of them but it's no wonder women hate gyms with tools like them about. Last week I saw someone doing deadlifts that were clearly too heavy for him and slamming the weight down as hard as he could ... whilst wearing just socks 😂

8 minutes ago, TJQuik said:

That does sound like a really good alternative, I just hate the idea that if I were to have a bad day and have bad form on a single rep I could cause lasting damage, but the smith machine probably mitigates most of that.

On the gym idiots - I always get a chuckle out of them but it's no wonder women hate gyms with tools like them about. Last week I saw someone doing deadlifts that were clearly too heavy for him and slamming the weight down as hard as he could ... whilst wearing just socks 😂

Ah yes, just wearing socks a classic.  You're not competing in World's Strongest Man you tool.  Unless... I hope you mean he wasn't JUST wearing socks as that would be a police matter 🤣

The bicep curls always get me.  Swinging like mad, all momentum, barely working the bicep.  All so they can have an extra five kilo on the dumbbell.

Yesterday at the gym an older guy came in, probably on his 60s.  Wearing a bobble hat, jeans, coat and shoes.  Did one set on an ab crunch machine, something with the cable machine which I'm sure I've never seen before and never will again. Then left.  Should probably be a sub thread - weird shit you've seen at the gym.  

11 hours ago, Bordersfox said:

How did you find it?  

I've been using a physio PT for a few months to help with a long term lat injury and strength training generally.  I'd never been one for the idea but my wife recommended him and I have to say it's been well worth it - particularly identifying areas of weakness (legs mainly, like most blokes I was over training the 'glamour' muscles which actually led to getting injured in the first place).  Totally made me re-think the way I train.

Came away from it really enjoying it. 

It's a friend of a friend who has got himself running with it as well as a full time PE job. Going for an 8 week programme with him to shift a little weight and just get my mojo back.

9 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Came away from it really enjoying it. 

It's a friend of a friend who has got himself running with it as well as a full time PE job. Going for an 8 week programme with him to shift a little weight and just get my mojo back.

Very wise move, holds you accountable as well.  Getting into the habit or back into the habit is about the hardest thing I find! 

8 hours ago, Bordersfox said:

Yesterday at the gym an older guy came in, probably on his 60s.  Wearing a bobble hat, jeans, coat and shoes.  Did one set on an ab crunch machine, something with the cable machine which I'm sure I've never seen before and never will again. Then left.  Should probably be a sub thread - weird shit you've seen at the gym.  

Well... it's better than nothing I suppose 😂

The cable machines are the holy land for people doing weird shit they've seen influencers come up with to have a new video to make - as if the secret to success is doing a million different things! Another thing that puts people off I suspect. I also love people sitting backwards on machines thinking it makes them look like they've discovered the secret method...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TJQuik said:

Well... it's better than nothing I suppose 😂

The cable machines are the holy land for people doing weird shit they've seen influencers come up with to have a new video to make - as if the secret to success is doing a million different things! Another thing that puts people off I suspect. I also love people sitting backwards on machines thinking it makes them look like they've discovered the secret method...

Hahahaha hahahaha hahaha 

• Haha 1

On 16/01/2023 at 23:00, Bordersfox said:

23 hours ago, TJQuik said:

Deadlifts when performed correctly are a safe exercise. The biggest risk is to the lower back which is caused by poor technique, I.e. Rounding of the back. This is easily mitigated by sticking your chest out, retracting your shoulder blades to flatten the back, and lifting a weight that you can actually lift. 

I'd personally steer clear of Deadlifts using a Smith Machine due to the fact that it's a fixed plane of motion and the bar needs to be as close to your body as possible. As such depending on lever/torso length you're likely to adjust your posture which will inadvertently result in poor form. 

If you're finding it difficult to maintain good form and struggle with flexibility through the posterior chain preventing you from starting from the ground maybe try Deadlifting using a dual cable pulley system and bar attachment. You can then adjust the starting position of the bar and the cables will allow bar to move freely throughout the plane of motion. Alternatively if you're still rounding your back switch to a Dumbbell Deadlift as that will allow you to really draw back the shoulders. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ian__marshall said:

Deadlifts when performed correctly are a safe exercise. The biggest risk is to the lower back which is caused by poor technique, I.e. Rounding of the back. This is easily mitigated by sticking your chest out, retracting your shoulder blades to flatten the back, and lifting a weight that you can actually lift. 

I'd personally steer clear of Deadlifts using a Smith Machine due to the fact that it's a fixed plane of motion and the bar needs to be as close to your body as possible. As such depending on lever/torso length you're likely to adjust your posture which will inadvertently result in poor form. 

If you're finding it difficult to maintain good form and struggle with flexibility through the posterior chain preventing you from starting from the ground maybe try Deadlifting using a dual cable pulley system and bar attachment. You can then adjust the starting position of the bar and the cables will allow bar to move freely throughout the plane of motion. Alternatively if you're still rounding your back switch to a Dumbbell Deadlift as that will allow you to really draw back the shoulders. 

That's all very useful advice thank you!

I'm actually doing them supervised by a physio/PT at the moment.  I'm not sure, because of the stuff you mention above, whether I'd do them at the gym when I'm training on my own as it's more difficult to keep an eye on form.  I've had ongoing issues with my thoracic spine mobility and lats for a couple of years before finally seeing a physio (by which point it had become chronic 🤦‍♂️) so I've mainly been focussing on strengthening the posterior chain, increasingly mobility etc in a very slow and measured way. 

Basically lots of stretching and fairly light weights sessions mixed with walking and low intensity cardio.  It's a slow process but it does gradually seem to be working.  

14 hours ago, ian__marshall said:

You constantly see people ‘ego lifting’ when deadlifting. Very risky to do that on this exercise, and to be fair, the same applies for other compound exercises. 

This is a really good post, fully agree with everything you’ve said.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Pete52 said:

Any advice for body recomposition for someone who is skinny fat? Making progress but always willing to take more advice on board, about a month in so far. 

Hey Pete, can you please elaborate a little on what you mean by body recomposition? What are your aims and goals? Is aesthetics the primary driver or is the goal functional improvement? 

21 hours ago, ian__marshall said:

Hey Pete, can you please elaborate a little on what you mean by body recomposition? What are your aims and goals? Is aesthetics the primary driver or is the goal functional improvement? 

Hi, I'd like to lose a bit of belly fat but also build some muscle (not loads, I'm realistic that this will be hard to achieve whilst trying to lose fat). My goal is a mixture of the two, I want to look and also feel a bit fitter/stronger, but I'm not leaning extremely one way or the other. Just want an overall improvement really. 

I'm not really in bad shape when you look at me in clothes, but when I take my top off I don't look as good as I'd like to, if that makes sense? I'm 20 years old, 6'0 tall and 13st 5lbs. 

All the exercise I've been doing currently is 1 mile of walking home from work Monday-Friday, 3-4 30 min-1 hour dumbbell + resistance band sessions at home a week, focusing on upper body, and 60-90 mins of boxing training on a Wednesday evening (I also walk to this, so my walking on that day is more like 2 miles). I'm taking in between 2000-2300 calories a day and eating a high protein diet, whilst limiting carbs as I work an office job (I'm assuming this is the right thing to do but I'm not sure). I've had this routine for around a month now and noticed some difference, but not sure if there is more I can do to help this.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks. 

Edited by Pete52

On 24/02/2023 at 12:41, Pete52 said:

Hi, I'd like to lose a bit of belly fat but also build some muscle (not loads, I'm realistic that this will be hard to achieve whilst trying to lose fat). My goal is a mixture of the two, I want to look and also feel a bit fitter/stronger, but I'm not leaning extremely one way or the other. Just want an overall improvement really. 

I'm not really in bad shape when you look at me in clothes, but when I take my top off I don't look as good as I'd like to, if that makes sense? I'm 20 years old, 6'0 tall and 13st 5lbs. 

All the exercise I've been doing currently is 1 mile of walking home from work Monday-Friday, 3-4 30 min-1 hour dumbbell + resistance band sessions at home a week, focusing on upper body, and 60-90 mins of boxing training on a Wednesday evening (I also walk to this, so my walking on that day is more like 2 miles). I'm taking in between 2000-2300 calories a day and eating a high protein diet, whilst limiting carbs as I work an office job (I'm assuming this is the right thing to do but I'm not sure). I've had this routine for around a month now and noticed some difference, but not sure if there is more I can do to help this.

You can’t really lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. You need to eat at a calorie deficit to lose fat and a calorie surplus to gain muscle. If I was you I would aim to lose fat and get down to a decent body fat level. Then slowly increase calories and use progressive overload when lifting to gain muscle.

Cutting down will make it seem like you have gained muscle as whatever muscle you have already will be more visible when you trim your body fat.

• Like 1

On 26/02/2023 at 18:22, Samilktray said:

Is there any apps out there to help you plan workouts? I just feel like I’m in the gym for a laugh when I go and need some structure 

I use hevy, let's you track/record what you do and has examples of programmes and routines you can use

On 26/02/2023 at 18:22, Samilktray said:

Is there any apps out there to help you plan workouts? I just feel like I’m in the gym for a laugh when I go and need some structure 

I use RepCount which allows you to log your workouts so you know what you did last time/what weight you need to beat etc. Very useful if you already have a plan and want to progressively overload.

Coming towards the end of a gaining phase myself, eating 4,300 calories a day and have gained 8kg since July which is nice and steady, training five times a week. Not particularly enjoyable forcing yourself to eat in the evening when you're not hungry but I hope the summer body will thank me!

Edited by Nugent

If you can add in some type of higher intensity short running I've found that helps with this kind of thing. 

On a treadmill at a speed faster than you would run for.. 20 secs on, 20 secs off for 10 minutes or so? Then increase splits, speed or time when it's comfortable? 

If running outside find a street/park you can push yourself to run on, then a steady jog/walk before doing it again? 

• Thanks 1

Hey Pete sorry for the slow reply, been really busy with work and life in general and sorry for the long post. 

Firstly you can build muscle and lose fat at the same time. With the right dietary adjustments to ensure that you're consuming adequate quantities of macronutrients to achieve your goals, along with the right combination of amino acids you can achieve growth and lose fat. In fact if you're caloric intake remains the same, as your muscles grow your body will utilise the stored fat for energy to bridge any deficit. 

From what you've said it sounds like you're quite active but clearly you seem a little dissatisfied with your progress which potentially raises a few points. 

Firstly, you've said you're consuming 2000-2300 calories per day as part of a high protein low carb diet. If that's the case presumably you're consuming a sizeable amount of Fat, and if those calories are coming from meat most likely they'll be saturated Fat. If that is correct then this is the first area I'd look to tidy up aiming to consume high protein foods low in fat or ones that are higher in unsaturated Fats. It is worth noting that for a healthy active Adult, Fats aren't necessarily bad despite the bad press they get and are a really important part of hormone production so it's important that you don't reduce these too drastically otherwise it'll be counterproductive to your goals.

Secondly, as mentioned earlier it does sound like you're quite active so that makes me question the intensity you're working at. Now this is a problem (myself included at times) for a lot of experienced trainers let alone people who are relatively new to training so don't be concerned if you fall into this category. It can be really hard when you start out to gauge what an actual intense workout looks like and there's a fine balance between intensity and volume so rest and recuperation are also important considerations in order to avoid injury. I came across a good youtube video the other week posted by Mike Thurston and Dorian Yates where they're training Legs out in Marbella and Dorian talks at length about working sets and intensity levels. For the record, said video is quite insightful on the topic of intensity but a lot of the other content discussed is a bit outdated so I'd be selective in what you take from it assuming you watch it. 

The final point I'd highlight, is that you mention working only on your upper body. Unless there's some biomechanical or physiological reason then it's important to incorporate lower body exercise into your training plan. Not only will lower body training improve your overall aesthetic look, but it will also aid with Core stability, and hormone release so these are good exercises to include so long as you are physically able and there's no biomechanical reason for being unable to do said exercises. 

Based upon what you've outlined maybe consider something like Cross-Fit as an option. It's not something that is hugely of interest to me and my training goals but for generalised fitness it's worth consideration. 

If traditional resistance training is more your thing, I'd check out some of Jeff Cavaliere's videos on his Athlean-X youtube channel. Jeff's excellent in my opinion and he's very much focused on the science of anatomy and biomechanics.

Alternatively if you're looking for content more focused towards Resistance Bands, James Grage and his Undersun Fitness channel are a decent watch, although James can occasionally disappear down a rabbit hole on some rather controversial topics so again approach with caution. I did undertake his TA2 Build - Resistance Band programme last year out of curiosity and put on circa 6kg in 3 months whilst marginally reducing my body fat percentage and I personally quite enjoyed the programme, although admittedly it won't be for everyone. 

The best advice I can offer is be mindful of your own body composition in terms of your strengths and limitations and don't compare yourself to others (not everyone can get to the insane levels some exhibit [There's a great video on Athlean-X about this]). Also don't try to a be a superhero in the weights room, stick to what you can lift safely and be aware that the process does take time. 

Good luck with your journey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ian__marshall said:

Hey Pete sorry for the slow reply, been really busy with work and life in general and sorry for the long post. 

Firstly you can build muscle and lose fat at the same time. With the right dietary adjustments to ensure that you're consuming adequate quantities of macronutrients to achieve your goals, along with the right combination of amino acids you can achieve growth and lose fat. In fact if you're caloric intake remains the same, as your muscles grow your body will utilise the stored fat for energy to bridge any deficit. 

From what you've said it sounds like you're quite active but clearly you seem a little dissatisfied with your progress which potentially raises a few points. 

Firstly, you've said you're consuming 2000-2300 calories per day as part of a high protein low carb diet. If that's the case presumably you're consuming a sizeable amount of Fat, and if those calories are coming from meat most likely they'll be saturated Fat. If that is correct then this is the first area I'd look to tidy up aiming to consume high protein foods low in fat or ones that are higher in unsaturated Fats. It is worth noting that for a healthy active Adult, Fats aren't necessarily bad despite the bad press they get and are a really important part of hormone production so it's important that you don't reduce these too drastically otherwise it'll be counterproductive to your goals.

Secondly, as mentioned earlier it does sound like you're quite active so that makes me question the intensity you're working at. Now this is a problem (myself included at times) for a lot of experienced trainers let alone people who are relatively new to training so don't be concerned if you fall into this category. It can be really hard when you start out to gauge what an actual intense workout looks like and there's a fine balance between intensity and volume so rest and recuperation are also important considerations in order to avoid injury. I came across a good youtube video the other week posted by Mike Thurston and Dorian Yates where they're training Legs out in Marbella and Dorian talks at length about working sets and intensity levels. For the record, said video is quite insightful on the topic of intensity but a lot of the other content discussed is a bit outdated so I'd be selective in what you take from it assuming you watch it. 

The final point I'd highlight, is that you mention working only on your upper body. Unless there's some biomechanical or physiological reason then it's important to incorporate lower body exercise into your training plan. Not only will lower body training improve your overall aesthetic look, but it will also aid with Core stability, and hormone release so these are good exercises to include so long as you are physically able and there's no biomechanical reason for being unable to do said exercises. 

Based upon what you've outlined maybe consider something like Cross-Fit as an option. It's not something that is hugely of interest to me and my training goals but for generalised fitness it's worth consideration. 

If traditional resistance training is more your thing, I'd check out some of Jeff Cavaliere's videos on his Athlean-X youtube channel. Jeff's excellent in my opinion and he's very much focused on the science of anatomy and biomechanics.

Alternatively if you're looking for content more focused towards Resistance Bands, James Grage and his Undersun Fitness channel are a decent watch, although James can occasionally disappear down a rabbit hole on some rather controversial topics so again approach with caution. I did undertake his TA2 Build - Resistance Band programme last year out of curiosity and put on circa 6kg in 3 months whilst marginally reducing my body fat percentage and I personally quite enjoyed the programme, although admittedly it won't be for everyone. 

The best advice I can offer is be mindful of your own body composition in terms of your strengths and limitations and don't compare yourself to others (not everyone can get to the insane levels some exhibit [There's a great video on Athlean-X about this]). Also don't try to a be a superhero in the weights room, stick to what you can lift safely and be aware that the process does take time. 

Good luck with your journey.

Thanks for your response, much appreciated :)