Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LcfcOk

The gym

14 minutes ago, LcfcOk said:

Don’t know if there was already a thread? 

Does anyone go to the gym?

thought it’d be good to have a thread where people talk about the gym

I’m at the gym right now as it happens. Fannying around on FT instead of doing what I should be doing :D

Theres already an exercise thread mate where all gym stuff is discussed :thumbup:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I joined a gym last year for pretty much the first time in my life and have been going 4-5 times a week since then.  Surprised at how much I actually enjoy it.  Felt I should get fit as I approach the big 40.  X

Same here. I'm a few years older than you but since joining last May I'm still going 4-5 times a week and still enjoying it.

I like the variety and targeting different muscle groups on different days. Put my headphones and and my favourite tunes and off we go!

Definitely feeling loads stronger and fitter than this time last year so can't see myself stopping anytime soon.

Met a few new friends there too which is an added bonus.

For £20 a month I think it's fantastic value

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Same here. I'm a few years older than you but since joining last May I'm still going 4-5 times a week and still enjoying it.

I like the variety and targeting different muscle groups on different days. Put my headphones and and my favourite tunes and off we go!

Definitely feeling loads stronger and fitter than this time last year so can't see myself stopping anytime soon.

Met a few new friends there too which is an added bonus.

For £20 a month I think it's fantastic value

Yeah it's great. As someone who's always been naturally lanky and never into sports I can't believe how much I like doing the weights.  I'll never be Arnie but nice to know that at 37 I'm pretty much in the best shape of my life. As another poster said, so good for your mental health too. I just have to block out all the 20 year old muscle heads else I feel self conscious and leave. X 

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Yeah it's great. As someone who's always been naturally lanky and never into sports I can't believe how much I like doing the weights.  I'll never be Arnie but nice to know that at 37 I'm pretty much in the best shape of my life. As another poster said, so good for your mental health too. I just have to block out all the 20 year old muscle heads else I feel self conscious and leave. X 

I've finally accepted that I'll always be a lightweight however much I lift, but at 45 I'm probably in the best shape I've been since my late teens. 

I'm pretty proud of my definition now and my body fat % is very low. I just don't eat enough to put on proper muscle mass.

There's plenty of young posers at my gym and they make me smile, bless em. Good for them I say and I'd rather my kids are down the gym at 20 instead of being on the piss or hanging about on street corners.  

Loads of fit tottie there too so the eye candy is always a brucie bonus.

• Like 4

I go 5-6 days a week.

i only pay £17.50 too lol, it’s not a great gym but does the biz.

I can’t recommend enough to go, it’s really good for you mentally and physically obviously. Ironically it’s better to go if you’re tired, it gives you an endorphin pump and makes you feel pretty good, enjoy going after a sh*t day as it allows you to focus on something that isn’t in my case my academics.

also know a few people now, who are a bit different to say the least lol but it’s all good.

Also, if you do the machines pick a machine that you enjoy to do first, as it takes around 15 mins for you to get a pump so make sure you pick one that you like and then you’re a way.

if anyone is into protein shakes I recommend the “3 way protein blend” it’s pretty good and can get it dirt cheap at a discount retailer 

I really need to get into going to the gym. Regularly swim and want to get into competition swimming but I realised I don't have the upper body strength for it, my technique is actually pretty good. Used to do pretty well at junior levels but at adult level I just don't have sufficient (any) power. Problem is, I don't really know what I'm doing and thus feel uncomfortable so I never do it. Just swim and sit in the sauna. 

8 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

I really need to get into going to the gym. Regularly swim and want to get into competition swimming but I realised I don't have the upper body strength for it, my technique is actually pretty good. Used to do pretty well at junior levels but at adult level I just don't have sufficient (any) power. Problem is, I don't really know what I'm doing and thus feel uncomfortable so I never do it. Just swim and sit in the sauna. 

There are loads of upper body machines in the gym mate

I joined a gym for the first time in my life at the end of last year. Usually manage 2 - 3 times a week. In the last month or so have started doing the excerise classes like Body Pump, Body Attack etc. Some of it is really hard work but I find myself more motivated to do it in a group than on my own.

Membership is about £30 month but that includes all the classes, plus use of the gym and pool so not too bad

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

I'd really like to learn to swim (properly) but have never got round to it. I can swim, sort of, by which I mean I can get to one end of the pool to the other without drowning, but I can't do the breathing so end up holding my breath and having to stop!

14 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Are you in a swimming club?  Might be worth a look.  Seems to me the best swimmers to a lot of their fitness work out of the pool.

I do, 3 times a week. I will be going in about 15 minutes. It's a great stress reliever and of course great for your health. Don't do too much, stretch well, and don't lift more than you could.

What I like to do first is get on the bike and do 45 seconds while peddling at an above average rate then 15 seconds going as fast as i could. Do that 5 or 6 times and you will feel like your legs are on fire. 

Just do your sets properly, Don't cheat. The last thing you want to do is cause an injury to yourself because you are not doing it properly. 

1 hour ago, Cartesian said:

I started going to the gym a few months back and have been doing the stronglifts routine, have definitely noticed my increased strength and mass but now i think its time to move on from this routine but i don't know what routine to do

I know it ain't cheap, but a Personal Trainer might be an option. 

I had a PT, once a week for about five months and just finished with him. Probably cost me £500 in total but the knowledge I gained was invaluable. I wrote down everything he told me and I've got dozens of different routines and options now, which I wouldn't have had before.

I now feel I can go it alone and if I ever get stuck, there's always loads of trainers on YouTube and Instagram giving tips away for free.

• 1 month later...

Started going to the gym again last week. Bit the bullet and paid for a couple of months unlimited training at F45 as it was on offer. (£150 p/m, still absurdly expensive)

Thursday and Friday I was walking about like I had something stuck up my bum, such was the agony in my legs and core. 

Feels good to be going again, though. 

• Like 1

On 19/02/2019 at 20:38, Costock_Fox said:

I’m getting worse and worse at this as I go on. Used to go every lunch time and lately it’s been 3 lunch times as we now go pub once a week. 

Its only a matter of time before I start the pile the pounds back on the way I’m going.

I go most days and feel much better for it ...    :)

Had a couple of holidays this year so got my focus back for looking reasonable-ish around the pool.

I still don't actively "enjoy" the gym, it's a necessary evil to keep my weight down, along with not eating so much junk.

Managed to run 5k on the treadmill without stopping on three successive days last month, that gave me a boost.

Seemingly out of nowhere I ran 7.2k on Friday without stopping (4.5 miles - running at a steady 10k per hour pace) and the mental boost was massive.

Went to the gym yesterday, was knackered after 3 miles so walked for two minutes, then somehow managed to run another 2 miles.

This is huge for me. I've never been a runner. I'm not sure I even like it.

However, it's given me such a buzz to be able to do something like this, to progress from where I was even at the start of this year.

(PS I appreciate to a lot of people these distances are pretty poxy)

• Like 4

8 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

(PS I appreciate to a lot of people these distances are pretty poxy)

Never feel the need to qualify or downplay your achievements. Every single person running longer distances started at the exact same point, and if anything those first few times doing 'shorter' runs are immeasurably harder than churning out longer runs once you're more used to it.  Great job.

With the weather starting to get a bit nicer, see if you can give running outdoors a go at some point. It's perhaps a little harder than treadmill running, but so much more enjoyable (in my opinion), especially if you go somewhere a bit more scenic like Bradgate park. Or you could give parkrun a go - no need to race it, just enjoy running with other people around, if that's your thing. 

• Like 2